• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will get closer to what his agent is asking for. I'm thinking 5/65-75. $125M is a lot to pay for a pitcher, but that is the going rate for potential Ace's.

Potential or not, thats ace money for a guy thats never thrown a pitch in the MLs, but I trust the FO

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible. We'll have to wait and see. They may pleasantly surprise us, or they may do exactly as you say. All I know is I trust the ownership and management of this team.

Me, too. I have absolute faith in our ownership and FO to do whatever makes sense, but I have a deep distrust when it comes to money and agents. I think the HTD is more likely to happen before these guys hit free agency. Once they hit the open market agents and another team can screw things up in a hurry.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B/c people have to keep the pot stirring, if they are in the market for anything biggish its a 1B (not Fielder) or a CF

Aside from a UTIL guy and a LHP(s) for the bullpen, they are probably done

I say sign Gonzlalez, Oliver, and Izturis and call it an offseason

you may be right about a 1st baseman (not named Fielder) and a CF'er and Oliver, Gonzalez & Izturis would be the safe move, but most didn't think the Rangers would go all-in on Darvish so a trade package for Gio, Garza, Shields or one of the other good starters on the table could sneak in also.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you may be right about a 1st baseman (not named Fielder) and a CF'er and Oliver, Gonzalez & Izturis would be the safe move, but most didn't think the Rangers would go all-in on Darvish so a trade package for Gio, Garza, Shields or one of the other good starters on the table could sneak in also.

But why? it makes no sense, if it does sneak in then all the backroom mastery by the front office is shot down in the "move just to make a move" scenario

The improvement gained WILL NOT be worth the value of prospects given up

The whole reason we were "in on these guys" is b/c we didn't want to spend money and preferred to use our farm but not that we've spent money it makes no sense to turn around and also deplete our farm system for marginal if any improvement

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why? it makes no sense, if it does sneak in then all the backroom mastery by the front office is shot down in the "move just to make a move" scenario

The whole reason we were "in on these guys" is b/c we didn't want to spend money and preferred to use our farm but not that we've spent money it makes no sense to turn around and also deplete our farm system for marginal if any improvement

i'm just saying that JD and Nolan could still have something up their sleeves. i'm all for signing 1 or 2 left-handed relievers and a utility IF'er and calling it a postseason but they may still have another surprise in store for us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've definitely got the right idea and based on what was being asked for garza and gio it makes no sense to give what they wanted for those guys. Texas spent the money on Darvish because that's all it's going to cost them. No prospects and no draft picks.

Texas let CJ walk because they thought Darvish was better and also thought the draft picks they would get from him being a type A FA was more valuable than he was. It makes no sense to spend our farm system on someone like gio who I believe might only be marginally better than our current staff. And once Darvish is added to the rotatio what value does one of those guys really bring? Especially for what he'll cost. Texas set themselves up to comfortably wait until next year when the FA market for pitching is better by doing this. That way they don't have to sell the farm for someone like garza or gio.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also allows them to ease in Perez and Ramirez along through another full season of AAA and maybe one is ready to replace Lewis next year, and maybe one makes Harrison expendable in the year after,

or maybe make room for Ogando, who I've always thought of as a bullpen arm longterm, he had success as a starter but I dont think he's cut out for it longterm

THats not just trying to win now, but in the next 3-5 years on top of that, hopefully (if things pan out), we can just focus on drafting and the international markets and the occassional "tweak" through FA and the trade market

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Rangers, Red Sox and Yankees were among the teams that informed Brown they were not the team nearing a deal with Kuroda.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles have officially signed Endy Chavez to a one-year, $1.5MM major league deal. The deal will also give the outfielder the chance to earn another $500K through performance bonuses.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Rangers, Red Sox and Yankees were among the teams that informed Brown they were not the team nearing a deal with Kuroda.

And you believe the Rangers? :D

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you believe the Rangers? :D

No one has a damn clue what the rangers are doing. This much I know for sure. That includes on fielder and anyone else.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him them, he earned it, just no room for that here

I'm surprised Texas didn't offer him another one year deal. It's not like he didn't produce for them or anything.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmph. It is beginning to look like extended ST A versus B intersquad game every time TEX faces BAL this year.

Looking forward to hammering hunter and striking out Davis a lot.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm surprised Texas didn't offer him another one year deal. It's not like he didn't produce for them or anything.

I don't think he was up to tryring to compete for the #5 OF job which via another minor league contract is all he was going to get. A major league contract (and 40man roster spot) for Chavez was an early Christmas present.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has begun talks for long term deals with Hamilton, Kinsler, Holland, and now Napoli. They're going to try to get these guys locked up before the season starts and from what I've read all are pretty receptive to the idea.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was up to tryring to compete for the #5 OF job which via another minor league contract is all he was going to get. A major league contract (and 40man roster spot) for Chavez was an early Christmas present.

You know he is actually a pretty nice player. Got some serious defensive chops.