• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the rangers still have a few things to take care of: (1) they need a utility infielder like Blanco & (2) they need to sign Oliver or Gonzalez so they have at least 1 lefty in the pen

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the rangers still have a few things to take care of: (1) they need a utility infielder like Blanco & (2) they need to sign Oliver or Gonzalez so they have at least 1 lefty in the pen

I'd say Oliver and I'd like Cesar Izturis, if he's willing to be a backup

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Between Darvish, Uehara, and Yoshi they just about have the Japanese market cornered.

170-190 million seems a little scary to me, but I believe in the FO and frankly I bet they get real creative to make everything work.

It is a system shock when you think of the days of the old Rangers. There has always been a huge market to tap into though. This region will continue to flock to a winning team in Arlington though. Hicks knew that when he bough the team, but he went about it the wrong way. This organization is much better suited to handle that payroll level now.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Hamilton and Napoli give Texas a hometown discount. Hamilton has made it clear he wants to stay in Texas and Napoli has fallen in love with this club after leaving that asshole Sciosia. Kinsler may be another guy as well.

They're also trying to lock holland up long term which he seems open to.

I must be missing something here. Why would veteran players who have contributed to the teams success over the last two years give a discount when the team is willing to spent 100-120 million on a kid who has never thrown a pitch in a MLB game?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be missing something here. Why would veteran players who have contributed to the teams success over the last two years give a discount when the team is willing to spent 100-120 million on a kid who has never thrown a pitch in a MLB game?

maybe because of the commitment the team and the fans have made to them.

Hamilton was going nowhere with the Reds and no other team was open to giving him a chance because of his history and the Rangers did.

Napoli came in and found himself a home where both his teammates and the fans have given him the kind of love he didn't get in Anaheim.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe in the hometown discount for players in their prime. I could see MY giving a discount for a one or two year deal after his current runs out, but not Nap or Josh. Now he may tell other teams they have to beat the Texas offer to make them move, but they won't take less just to stay here most of the time.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is a pretty stunning development. I guess we'll have to play the wait and see game. How much does it take to sign him? How effective is he going to be? I tend to think the Rangers know what they are getting as they have definitely have done their due diligence. I am excited to see this young man play but I've never been one to believe the hype.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hamilton was going nowhere with the Reds and no other team was open to giving him a chance because of his history and the Rangers did.

Napoli came in and found himself a home where both his teammates and the fans have given him the kind of love he didn't get in Anaheim.

This.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is a pretty stunning development. I guess we'll have to play the wait and see game. How much does it take to sign him? How effective is he going to be? I tend to think the Rangers know what they are getting as they have definitely have done their due diligence. I am excited to see this young man play but I've never been one to believe the hype.

They were planning on going after him the whole time. They clearly think he's better than CJ which is why they let him walk and bid 51.7m on Darvish. They scouted the hell out of him and really believe he is better than CJ.

My guess is it's going to take 50m to sign him to a 5yr deal. If they really believe he is an ace there's nothing wrong with that.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Review the thread about a certain relief pitcher that used to pitch in San Diego that will now pitch in Miami. The home town discount, more often than not, is a myth fabricated by wishful thinking hometown fans. Nothing wrong with that except more often than not it's a pipe dream except in the rare cases that jta has already mentioned.
Also, considering what a guy like Napoli did last year for what he was paid..the Rangers already got their discount.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Review the thread about a certain relief pitcher that used to pitch in San Diego that will now pitch in Miami. The home town discount, more often than not, is a myth fabricated by wishful thinking hometown fans. Nothing wrong with that except more often than not it's a pipe dream except in the rare cases that jta has already mentioned.
Also, considering what a guy like Napoli did last year for what he was paid..the Rangers already got their discount.

Valid points. We'll see how it pans out, but I think Texas will be able to handle re-signing most of their core Ruth regards to payroll. I see them letting Andrus walk with boras being his agent and Profar waiting in the wings.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid points. We'll see how it pans out, but I think Texas will be able to handle re-signing most of their core Ruth regards to payroll. I see them letting Andrus walk with boras being his agent and Profar waiting in the wings.

I wrote off Andrus the day I read who his agent was. I don't think they will make the same mistake with Elvis that they did with Teixeria when they let AG go.
I think with what the Rangers are going to give Darvish, the cost of doing business with the core players just went up. JMO

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote off Andrus the day I read who his agent was. I don't think they will make the same mistake with Elvis that they did with Teixeria when they let AG go.
I think with what the Rangers are going to give Darvish, the cost of doing business with the core players just went up. JMO

It's possible. We'll have to wait and see. They may pleasantly surprise us, or they may do exactly as you say. All I know is I trust the ownership and management of this team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

All these guys have expressed their interest in staying Texas (Nap being the exception - Hamilton, Kinsler, and Holland for sure have said out right that they love this team/area). I'm not sure if that'll give them a discount but they won't have to overpay to keep those guys either.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these guys have expressed their interest in staying Texas (Nap being the exception - Hamilton, Kinsler, and Holland for sure have said out right that they love this team/area). I'm not sure if that'll give them a discount but they won't have to overpay to keep those guys either.

from a story on December 1st:

From Napoli's perspective, a long-term deal would give him security and since Texas was where he was embraced and delivered his best season, it seems natural he would want to stay put. If Napoli didn't sign an extension and had another big year in 2012, however, he would be in line for a huge contract as (by far) the best-hitting catcher on the market and one of the best free agent hitters overall.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny thing, even with the Rangers winning the signing rights to Darvish, they are still rumored to be pursuing Gio, Garza & a couple of other starters.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny thing, even with the Rangers winning the signing rights to Darvish, they are still rumored to be pursuing Gio, Garza & a couple of other starters.

B/c people have to keep the pot stirring, if they are in the market for anything biggish its a 1B (not Fielder) or a CF

Aside from a UTIL guy and a LHP(s) for the bullpen, they are probably done

I say sign Gonzlalez, Oliver, and Izturis and call it an offseason

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were planning on going after him the whole time. They clearly think he's better than CJ which is why they let him walk and bid 51.7m on Darvish. They scouted the hell out of him and really believe he is better than CJ.

My guess is it's going to take 50m to sign him to a 5yr deal. If they really believe he is an ace there's nothing wrong with that.

I think he will get closer to what his agent is asking for. I'm thinking 5/65-75. $125M is a lot to pay for a pitcher, but that is the going rate for potential Ace's.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is like jta said, pot stirring. It is also agents and other teams trying to keep the price up. The more bidders, and the more chances one of those teams you are bidding against are in your division, the higher the price can be driven.