• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there are only a few "true aces" and none of them are available now or for the foreseeable future, so the team needs to concentrate on developing a starting pitching staff of pitchers that most would consider #2's or #3's.

#2s and #3s got TEX to back to back WS. You may not need a TORP, an Ace ... a true #1 in every sense if your #4 and #5 are lights out better than everybody else's #4 and #5.

If you take a look at 2011 as Gina pointed out ... all five TEX SPs were ranked in the top 31 SPs by ERA. Nobody else had five SPs in the top 31 ... and CHW was alone in second with four in the top 31. TEX #5 which was effectively Alexi Ogando had 13 wins ... only 3 wins behind CJ and Dutch. And Ogando was an AL AS in 2011 ... TEX #5.

If TEX can find a way to get Felix away from SEA ... yea right ... or Price ... or maybe one or two other true Aces ... they would if the numbers and the cost in future talent make sense. But they are not going to trade away SP prospect talent that might become a TORP here in exchange for a guy who isn't any better than what TEX already has. They just aren't going to do it.

That's just not the plan. And CJ wasn't part of that plan. And for $80mil he wasn't any better than at least one and maybe two guys who are already here under contract.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2s and #3s got TEX to back to back WS. You may not need a TORP, an Ace ... a true #1 in every sense if your #4 and #5 are lights out better than everybody else's #4 and #5.

If you take a look at 2011 as Gina pointed out ... all five TEX SPs were ranked in the top 31 SPs by ERA. Nobody else had five SPs in the top 31 ... and CHW was alone in second with four in the top 31. TEX #5 which was effectively Alexi Ogando had 13 wins ... only 3 wins behind CJ and Dutch. And Ogando was an AL AS in 2011 ... TEX #5.

If TEX can find a way to get Felix away from SEA ... yea right ... or Price ... or maybe one or two other true Aces ... they would if the numbers and the cost in future talent make sense. But they are not going to trade away SP prospect talent that might become a TORP here in exchange for a guy who isn't any better than what TEX already has. They just aren't going to do it.

That's just not the plan. And CJ wasn't part of that plan. And for $80mil he wasn't any better than at least one and maybe two guys who are already here under contract.

Very good post. Though I might consider trading some prospects for Felix. That dude is a stud.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very good post. Though I might consider trading some prospects for Felix. That dude is a stud.

Me too.

When you consider that King is six months younger than Matt Harrison ... and only one month older than Derek Holland ... and the CY @ 24yo ... he would be one of the very few acquisitions that TEX might find worthy of giving up the prospects it would cost.

But beyond King ... that list is short ... of guys who are a fit that would give TEX a true TORP for several seasons to come ... at a true value when considering their affect on how they would affect a further upward shift in franchise win power.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too.

When you consider that King is six months younger than Matt Harrison ... and only one month older than Derek Holland ... and the CY @ 24yo ... he would be one of the very few acquisitions that TEX might find worthy of giving up the prospects it would cost.

But beyond King ... that list is short ... of guys who are a fit that would give TEX a true TORP for several seasons to come ... at a true value when considering their affect on how they would affect a further upward shift in franchise win power.

he would be a great addition

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were just talking about other 10yr deals and pujols downward trend the last 3-4 years on MLB network. I knew he was declining, but didn't realize how much. Obviously he's still great, but you can't ignore the numbers. Doctors also think pujols is actually a couple years older than he says.

I really think the angels are going to hate this contract in 3-4 years. He'll be good, but not 250 million dollars good. This just shows me how the angels are chasing Texas and ultimately I think they'll fall far short.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An NL executive heard that the Rangers have interest in signing Prince Fielder and trading Mitch Moreland to the Rays for Wade Davis. A person with knowledge of Texas' plans say neither scenario is close to being done, however. The Rangers checked in with Scott Boras about Fielder during the winter meetings.

The Rangers also have interest in Casey McGehee of the Brewers to play first base, which would still allow them to make the Moreland-for-Davis swap. Matt Moore's new extension means the Rays won't have to send him down to the minors for service time reasons, giving them six starters (David Price, James Shields, Jeff Niemann, Jeremy Hellickson, Moore, and Davis) for five spots.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this week we heard that the Rangers intend to look into contract extensions for their core players, and that process has started with Ian Kinsler. Kinsler told Jeff Wilson of The Star Telegram that his agent, Jay Franklin, has had preliminary talks with the team about a new deal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were just talking about other 10yr deals and pujols downward trend the last 3-4 years on MLB network. I knew he was declining, but didn't realize how much. Obviously he's still great, but you can't ignore the numbers. Doctors also think pujols is actually a couple years older than he says.

I really think the angels are going to hate this contract in 3-4 years. He'll be good, but not 250 million dollars good. This just shows me how the angels are chasing Texas and ultimately I think they'll fall far short.

Yeah that's why I was saying LAA screwed themselves just to be competitive for the next couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd half of Albert's career ends up looking like Frank Thomas's. With the luck LAA seems to have had the past couple years, that seems more likely than Pooholes even putting up .290 30 90 kind of seasons for the next 5 years.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers met with Oakland officials on Tuesday and first brought up the possibility of trading for reliever Andrew Bailey. The A's, sources said, asked for LHP Martin Perez, 3B Mike Olt and SS Leury Garcia. The Rangers quickly moved on.

The conversation about Gonzalez, however, seems to have more legs. If the Rangers are going to surrender a package of prized prospects, they would prefer a starter over a reliever.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An NL executive heard that the Rangers have interest in signing Prince Fielder and trading Mitch Moreland to the Rays for Wade Davis. A person with knowledge of Texas' plans say neither scenario is close to being done, however. The Rangers checked in with Scott Boras about Fielder during the winter meetings.

The Rangers also have interest in Casey McGehee of the Brewers to play first base, which would still allow them to make the Moreland-for-Davis swap. Matt Moore's new extension means the Rays won't have to send him down to the minors for service time reasons, giving them six starters (David Price, James Shields, Jeff Niemann, Jeremy Hellickson, Moore, and Davis) for five spots.

I really wouldn't be that thrilled to get Davis. He has an ERA over 4 the last two seasons and had an 11-10 records with a 4.45 ERA last season. I'm not even sure he's worth giving up Mitch for. He is young, but no better than anything the already have right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers met with Oakland officials on Tuesday and first brought up the possibility of trading for reliever Andrew Bailey. The A's, sources said, asked for LHP Martin Perez, 3B Mike Olt and SS Leury Garcia. The Rangers quickly moved on.

The conversation about Gonzalez, however, seems to have more legs. If the Rangers are going to surrender a package of prized prospects, they would prefer a starter over a reliever.

Hell no. Don't really care about Garcia but Perez and Olt for a reliever is laughable.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have been laughing as I hung up the phone. Especially considering how little it took to get Cahill.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't be that thrilled to get Davis. He has an ERA over 4 the last two seasons and had an 11-10 records with a 4.45 ERA last season. I'm not even sure he's worth giving up Mitch for. He is young, but no better than anything the already have right now.

i'd be interested in either Shields or Hellickson

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been laughing as I hung up the phone. Especially considering how little it took to get Cahill.

i agree with you. funny how little they took for Cahill and Breslow. maybe they ask for so much because it was Texas

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd be interested in either Shields or Hellickson

I doubt you even have a shot a shields and would like to get hellickson, but it would take more than Moreland to get him in my opinion.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with you. funny how little they took for Cahill and Breslow. maybe they ask for so much because it was Texas

Maybe but it's still out of line. Gio's not good enough to give those guys for. Felix would be, but I doubt he's even remotely available.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this week it appeared as though Darren Oliver would be heading back to the Rangers next season, but that's not necessarily the case. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick says that Oliver is keeping an open mind about his 2012 destination, and he's drawing interest from the Red Sox and other clubs

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this week it appeared as though Darren Oliver would be heading back to the Rangers next season, but that's not necessarily the case. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick says that Oliver is keeping an open mind about his 2012 destination, and he's drawing interest from the Red Sox and other clubs

Not sure how I feel about that. Uehara gets lefties out when he's right and if they sign Gonzo I'm not sure I care to have Oliver back. Are there any fans who actually like him?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oliver was pretty damn solid last year. Sometimes they just didn't use him right. He actually threw to more righties than he did lefties last season. Still had an ERA of 2.29. I'd like to keep him, he's a good loogy.