• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers were the "mystery team" that bid on Pujols for 10yrs @ $220 million...

The team requested/demanded to be kept a "mystery"...

I thought the Cubs came out and announced they made a bid on him. Or were they one of the announced ones? I didn't really pay attention to his bidding war. All I know is it sounds like the Angels way overpaid for both Pujols and CJ. They were bidding against MIA who wasn't going to get either player without the no trade, but still outbid plus NTC for Pujols.

And CJ's deal is BACK HEAVY. Yikes, that one will suck in 3 years as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Cubs came out and announced they made a bid on him. Or were they one of the announced ones? I didn't really pay attention to his bidding war. All I know is it sounds like the Angels way overpaid for both Pujols and CJ. They were bidding against MIA who wasn't going to get either player without the no trade, but still outbid plus NTC for Pujols.

And CJ's deal is BACK HEAVY. Yikes, that one will suck in 3 years as well.

Yeah. They're going to be paying CJ 20mil at the end. He better turn out to be an ace because you're not getting rid of him at that salary. Which he's not.

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, did anyone check what type of plane the Angels travel on? I hope CJ has his cockpit rating for that plane. Sure hope it isn't an airbus!

I wonder if he will upgrade his already massive TV? It can't fit in his car and stuff you know like and stuff! Its ridiculously big!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Guess I could offer this up for now... lol

Complete with a fake mustache!

Maybe drop the X and impose this over his picture:

thumbnail.aspx

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he will upgrade his already massive TV? It can't fit in his car and stuff you know like and stuff! Its ridiculously big!

Stake out his house and watch for the garage sale.

rosslive99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gio Gonzalez - S - Athletics

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Rangers are among the teams talking to the Athletics about left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
Olney lists left-hander Martin Perez as a prospect the A's would likely target in any potential deal. With the starting pitching market drying up after the C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle signings, Gonzalez has appeal to a lot of teams, especially since he's quite affordable. The Blue Jays, Nationals, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Royals, Marlins, Reds and Yankees have also expressed some degree of interest in the lefty.
Related: Rangers
Source: Buster Olney on Twitter
Dec 9 - 12:18 PM

Good move bad move??? I literally know nothing about Gio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Rangers are among the teams talking to the Athletics about left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
Olney lists left-hander Martin Perez as a prospect the A's would likely target in any potential deal. With the starting pitching market drying up after the C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle signings, Gonzalez has appeal to a lot of teams, especially since he's quite affordable. The Blue Jays, Nationals, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Royals, Marlins, Reds and Yankees have also expressed some degree of interest in the lefty.

He's 26, pitched 200 innings the last two seasons with ERA's for 3.23 and 3.12. Won 16 games with the A's last year which is pretty damn impressive.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 26, pitched 200 innings the last two seasons with ERA's for 3.23 and 3.12. Won 16 games with the A's last year which is pretty damn impressive.

i think it would be a positive. and with the news today that TB has signed Matt Moore to a new 5-year deal , and this should make you happy, James Shields may be back on the trade block

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gonzalez is one of those pitchers who gives the Rangers fits but may have a better ERA than he should. The last two seasons his WHIP has been around 1.3. Good. Not great and he pitches in an extreme pitchers park. I certainly wouldn't trade an upper tier pitching prospect for him. He is a nice, solid 200 inning guy.

Soft tosser. Maybe that plays here. Maybe it doesn't. He does get guys out and he can strike out guys with a very solid 8.8 K/9 last season. Honestly, I think he'd give similar results to the guys they already have. Not a clear upgrade. If I was the Rangers I wouldn't do this deal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it would be a positive. and with the news today that TB has signed Matt Moore to a new 5-year deal , and this should make you happy, James Shields may be back on the trade block

I've never believed that he was unavailable. If we can get Gio for cheaper than James, then it might be the better move. Can't really go wrong with either.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never believed that he was unavailable. If we can get Gio for cheaper than James, then it might be the better move. Can't really go wrong with either.

up until today, TB had been pretty firm that Shields was not available but that they were willing to discuss Wade Davis and/or Jeff Niemann. now apparently they even talk Shields or Hellickson

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind the young Matt Moore from TB... #crazytalk

Gio & Shields dont really strike me as "ace" type of guys. Yes, they would be the Rangers "ace"... (much like CJ was)... but if they are giving up TOP prospects for either or those... I'd much rather try for someone else. A "true" ace. Not just an "ace" because he is "here". If that makes sense.

(though I doubt any of those are available at the moment).

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a flyball pitcher though, and pitches a majority of his games in a pitchers park that has 30 yards of foul territory on either base. His numbers wouldn't translate as well here in Texas.

I sure hope the first number JD looks at is G/F ratio. Gio for his career has a <1 number, not good in this park.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, with the young guys that TPA has, if you are going to offer Perez, Olt, and other top guys...ask about Price. If you don't get an immediate dial tone...then you are in business

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind the young Matt Moore from TB... #crazytalk

Gio & Shields dont really strike me as "ace" type of guys. Yes, they would be the Rangers "ace"... (much like CJ was)... but if they are giving up TOP prospects for either or those... I'd much rather try for someone else. A "true" ace. Not just an "ace" because he is "here". If that makes sense.

(though I doubt any of those are available at the moment).

there are only a few "true aces" and none of them are available now or for the foreseeable future, so the team needs to concentrate on developing a starting pitching staff of pitchers that most would consider #2's or #3's.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a flyball pitcher though, and pitches a majority of his games in a pitchers park that has 30 yards of foul territory on either base. His numbers wouldn't translate as well here in Texas.

I sure hope the first number JD looks at is G/F ratio. Gio for his career has a <1 number, not good in this park.

I fully agree with what you are saying here. I've been looking over Gio's stats and they are good but his home/away stats are fairly well differentiated as you would expect.

If you are going to give away the farm might as well go out and get someone who is extremely dynamic like Price would be. Personally, I am inclined to stay with what the Rangers have and see where we sit at the trade deadline. Unless something fabulous just falls in their laps, of course.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers signed Alberto Gonzalez to a minor league contract with an invite to the Major League spring training camp, reports MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Gonzalez was released by the Padres last month. The utility infielder has a career .242/.281/.317 line in 908 Major League plate appearances over five seasons with the Padres, Nationals and Yankees.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Joey Matschulat @ BBTIA:

[QUOTE/]Let's keep this thought exercise relatively simple and limited to integers, for the purpose of not confusing ourselves beyond all hope: Pujols, a +6 WAR player, replaces Mark Trumbo, a +2 WAR player. Wilson, a +5 WAR pitcher, replaces whichever combination of pitchers would occupy the fifth spot in the Angels' rotation, which we could probably call +1 WAR overall. The Rangers, meanwhile, now have to use their fifth-best starter in place of Wilson -- and while this is where things become murkier, I think it's reasonable to believe that Wilson would have constituted a +3 WAR upgrade if inserted into the Rangers' starting rotation.

Thus, you're looking at the Angels having upgraded their roster by approximately +8 WAR going into the 2012 season, and the Rangers probably being -3 WAR down solely because of these two transactions. That's an 11-win swing, which sounds troubling because it is troubling ... but, lest anyone forget, the Rangers won the division by 10 games last season. And as if that wasn't impressive enough on its own, their third-order win-loss record was 21 games better than that of the Angels. They've made up a ton of ground, and they could probably even be considered divisional co-favorites with the Rangers at this point -- but I'm simply not going to be convinced that the Angels are now prohibitive AL West favorites. Not with so much left to be determined, and so much time left for that to happen.[/QUOTE]

Basically it doesn't make the Angels the favorites, but it certainly puts them back on the same level as the Rangers, may the best team win

Last edited by a moderator: