• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu won't be playing in the outfield. Hunter and Wells are both very capable outfielders. Bourjos and Trout are excellent. I expect Bourjos to be the starting CF and Trout in AAA for a couple of months but he'll arrive in a big way this season. Honestly, not even sure Abreu plays much if at all. I expect Morales to DH or play 1st and same with Trumbo. Heck, Abreu may not even make the team. I know you hate the Angels but that is not a bad team at all and they definitely need 2 starting pitchers. Not a reach at all to sign CJ and have 4 really good rotation pieces.

And how about the fact that they had the 6th best ERA in the majors last year, and finished 10 games behind us. So assuming they get the same stats from Weaver, and CJ gives his same stats...will that give them 10 extra wins? Mathis for Iannetta is worth MAYBE 1 win, CJ over their old #4 drops their ERA maybe a few tenths of a point over the season...but not enough to make up 10 games on Texas.

Unless losing CJ loses us games, which I doubt happens. We still have Bhuerle that we can go after, have Feldman and Feliz that we need spots for, and have some big arms in the minors. Cj will go to LAA and his ERA will be mid to upper 3's at best. They aren't strong on IF defense, not as strong as Texas.

Plus if they get CJ they will HAVE to trade Santana. CJ for Santana is pretty close to a push. So they don't have 4 top guys, they have 3...again.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Wells and torii are both capable but torii especially is on the decline. The team is not terrible, but they're not world beaters either.

And pitching isn't their problem. You can try to keep building on your strengths but at some point you have to address your weaknesses.

Texas used to just keep trying to buy offense. It wasn't until we got a pitching mindset in here that we started to win.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how about the fact that they had the 6th best ERA in the majors last year, and finished 10 games behind us. So assuming they get the same stats from Weaver, and CJ gives his same stats...will that give them 10 extra wins? Mathis for Iannetta is worth MAYBE 1 win, CJ over their old #4 drops their ERA maybe a few tenths of a point over the season...but not enough to make up 10 games on Texas.

Unless losing CJ loses us games, which I doubt happens. We still have Bhuerle that we can go after, have Feldman and Feliz that we need spots for, and have some big arms in the minors. Cj will go to LAA and his ERA will be mid to upper 3's at best. They aren't strong on IF defense, not as strong as Texas.

Plus if they get CJ they will HAVE to trade Santana. CJ for Santana is pretty close to a push. So they don't have 4 top guys, they have 3...again.

If that happens the really need to find a way to get Santana.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And pitching isn't their problem. You can try to keep building on your strengths but at some point you have to address your weaknesses.

Texas used to just keep trying to buy offense. It wasn't until we got a pitching mindset in here that we started to win.

Like you said. CJ for Santana is kind of a wash. I still say see what it would take to get gio though.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said. CJ for Santana is kind of a wash. I still say see what it would take to get gio though.

Did you see what they wanted from NYY for him? Pass for that price.

Maybe we can get someone to bid on santana for us, like TOR did with Nap for us last year :)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see what they wanted from NYY for him? Pass for that price.

Maybe we can get someone to bid on santana for us, like TOR did with Nap for us last year :)

No. What did they want?

I was thinking the same thing about Santana.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers met with the Red Sox this morning, reports MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. The Sox have interest in Rangers relievers Koji Uehara and Mark Lowe, while the Rangers like infielder Jed Lowrie. Uehara and Lowe are both eligible for free agency after the 2012 season, while Lowrie is under team control through 2014.

The Orioles and other teams are interested in Uehara as well, but the Rangers still hold him in high regard despite his struggles late in the year for them.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers met with the Red Sox this morning, reports MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. The Sox have interest in Rangers relievers Koji Uehara and Mark Lowe, while the Rangers like infielder Jed Lowrie. Uehara and Lowe are both eligible for free agency after the 2012 season, while Lowrie is under team control through 2014.

The Orioles and other teams are interested in Uehara as well, but the Rangers still hold him in high regard despite his struggles late in the year for them.

A 27 year old UIF for a RP that we wanted gone last year, and another we wanted gone in the post season? I'd be ok with sending either. I'd definitely play BWI and BOS against each other for Koji. We can replace either of them, but we need that UIF guy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 27 year old UIF for a RP that we wanted gone last year, and another we wanted gone in the post season? I'd be ok with sending either. I'd definitely play BWI and BOS against each other for Koji. We can replace either of them, but we need that UIF guy.

We may seriously need Koji to get lefties out if he shows he can do it. I think he was just overworked last season. I might deal Lowe but would be hesitant to do so. He was pitching really well before he got hurt. Would probably only do it if we could maybe get bailey.

Just read Texas did make an offer to CJ. No details though. Not surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may seriously need Koji to get lefties out if he shows he can do it. I think he was just overworked last season. I might deal Lowe but would be hesitant to do so. He was pitching really well before he got hurt. Would probably only do it if we could maybe get bailey.

I think that would be a steep price to pay for a utility infielder. Two very serviceable relievers? Especially considering there are all kinds of quality utility infielders out there to be had for the major league minimum.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a steep price to pay for a utility infielder. Two very serviceable relievers? Especially considering there are all kinds of quality utility infielders out there to be had for the major league minimum.

My thoughts exactly.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they want both, then that would be high. I thought they were interested in both but only asking for one. I'd say a quick yes for Lowe for Lowrie, if they want Koji then I'd have BWI on the other line saying "BOS will give us Lowrie, what will you give us?".

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ron Washington supposedly confirmed the rangers went to 5 years on CJ when the submitted their offer last night. Can't believe he made that public knowledge.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ron Washington supposedly confirmed the rangers went to 5 years on CJ when the submitted their offer last night. Can't believe he made that public knowledge.

Every team has to have that "guy" that lets leaks to the media. Maybe Ron is the guy that the FO wants to use, or maybe Ron just let it slip.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the marlins offered CJ 6 years.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the marlins offered CJ 6 years.

That is crazy what they are spending or at least offering. Of course they aren't allowing any no trade clauses, so I guess they are still in the cycle of build up...win...sell off the pieces.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is crazy what they are spending or at least offering. Of course they aren't allowing any no trade clauses, so I guess they are still in the cycle of build up...win...sell off the pieces.

No way would I offer 6 to CJ. I would turn and focus my efforts on Buehrle if CJ is seriously considering that.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way would I offer 6 to CJ. I would turn and focus my efforts on Buehrle if CJ is seriously considering that.

I'm glad someone is, and that someone isn't the Rangers. It makes our decision a whole lot easier.