• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nolan was very entertaining. Sounded like he would love to have Fielder in the lineup in this park. When they asked him about Pujols he went into spiel about being committed to Moreland. Who knows with these guys?

Later on they said they had a feeling Nolan was selling them a bill of goods with "not going after Fielder" talk. Well about to go to sleep and see what's happened come morning.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later on they said they had a feeling Nolan was selling them a bill of goods with "not going after Fielder" talk. Well about to go to sleep and see what's happened come morning.

I don't even try to figure out what Nolan an jd are going to do. The beltre signing and adams trade taught me that.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even try to figure out what Nolan an jd are going to do. The beltre signing and adams trade taught me that.

The only fun part to me, in all of this off season rumor mill bs is the fact that the Rangers keep it close to the vest and in house. After years of Jerry Jones, Tom Hicks and to a certain degree Mark Cuban, seeking headlines and the spotlight it is refreshing to see and hear that NOBODY knows what the Rangers are up to.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels don't want to go six years on C.J. Wilson, whose agent Bob Garber met with the Rangers yesterday and was "pleasantly surprised." The Rangers' first offer was said to be for $60MM over four years.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Buehrle is seeking a four-year deal and has narrowed his decision to five teams, although it's not clear as to which five are in the conversation. The Rangers, Nationals, Marlins, and Twins all had offers to the former South Sider on Monday.

Mark Buehrle, LHP: Though he's not the least bit flashy, Buehrle's about as consistent as they come. He's thrown 200+ innings in 11 straight seasons, and while he's not a true top-of-the-rotation guy, he can pitch like it at times -- see his 2007 no-hitter and 2009 perfect game as proof. Says SportsDay's Evan Grant: "Buehrle is perfect for Rangers Ballpark - left-handed, durable, a ground-ball demon and an excellent fielder."

On the heels of reports that the Rangers have ramped up their pursuit of one big-name pitcher -- C.J. Wilson -- comes news that they're still very much in the running for another.

MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reported Tuesday that the Rangers are one of five teams still in the running to land veteran starter Mark Buehrle.

Buehrle, 32, is almost two years older than Wilson, and is expected to only command a three-year deal on the free agency market, compared to the rumored five- or six-year deals Wilson is reportedly seeking. He'd also likely come at a cheaper per-year price than Wilson.

Though Buehrle doesn't have the top-end stuff that Wilson does, he has thrown at least 200 innings every season since 2001, and his ground ball tendencies would likely play well in Arlington.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Octavio Dotel could be a target for the Rangers, speculates T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. Rangers brass met with Beverly Hills Sports Council (Dotel's agency) reps today, and some Texas officials have a high opinion of Dotel.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Buehrle is seeking a four-year deal and has narrowed his decision to five teams, although it's not clear as to which five are in the conversation.

Well, that clears up a lot of questions.......

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ticket reported a 4 for $60M offer from Texas to CJ

rosslive99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marlins offered CJ 6 years, not sure about the money, Karl Ravech tweeted it.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 4 year $60 million deal has been debunked as of last night. I'm not so sure CJ takes the 6 years from the Marlins if the Rangers or Angels go 5. If the Rangers think he isn't going to get 5 from the Angels then I don't go above 4 years. If the Angels offer 5 then I can't see them allowing him to go to Anaheim. If the Angels go 6 then offer 5 and let him decide.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Buherle is down to 3 teams and expected to make a decision in the next 24 hours. This has to put the CJ decision into that same time frame. If he wants to stay in Texas then he'll need to make up his mind quick. If Buherle picks Texas then CJ goes bye bye obviously.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that the Angels are now the favorite to get CJ and will offer 5/$85. I REALLY hope they do that. That would bind their hands for a while without addressing their needs. CJ won't have the success he has had here, because he won't have the defense he has here.

Holy cow, the Angels just don't know what their issues are.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that the Angels are now the favorite to get CJ and will offer 5/$85. I REALLY hope they do that. That would bind their hands for a while without addressing their needs. CJ won't have the success he has had here, because he won't have the defense he has here.

Holy cow, the Angels just don't know what their issues are.

Lol at the angels if they sign him for 5 at 85m. They say they might trade santana if they sign him, in which case I would look to pull another Napoli on him.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you have to address areas of strength and make them stronger in order to mask the areas that they would like to address but can't. But in reality I think the Angels offensive and defensive woes are clearly overstated. They won't have any peg legged outfielders this year. They'll have Morales back. They'll have Trumbo.

They traded for a catcher and got rid of Mathis. They do need a closer, badly. But maybe they've got that one figured out. Their team isn't pathetic on paper and they could trade a starting pitcher for what they need. They've got terrific defenders in CF and at SS. Hunter and Wells still play a good outfield as well. This team has both power and speed if healthy and the starting pitching is phenomenal.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me add that if you go to the Angels web site and check out their depth chart they have both Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams listed as starting pitchers. I don't know anything about Richards but Williams certainly isn't going to cut it in a big league rotation.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you have to address areas of strength and make them stronger in order to mask the areas that they would like to address but can't. But in reality I think the Angels offensive and defensive woes are clearly overstated. They won't have any peg legged outfielders this year. They'll have Morales back. They'll have Trumbo.

They traded for a catcher and got rid of Mathis. They do need a closer, badly. But maybe they've got that one figured out. Their team isn't pathetic on paper and they could trade a starting pitcher for what they need. They've got terrific defenders in CF and at SS. Hunter and Wells still play a good outfield as well. This team has both power and speed if healthy and the starting pitching is phenomenal.

Eh. Hunter is going to continue to decline and all the phenomenal starting pitching in the world didn't help them last year. They're not going to be pathetic at all, but they're not going to be a force either. Trumbo may improve and he may not. Bourjous and trout are big weapons because of their speed and Sciosia could do to his new catcher what he did to Napoli. Morales is good, but no all star and they currently don't have a closer.

Not impressed.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No peg legs in the OF? Abreu is still there, Torii is a year older, and Wells is still in the OF. Trumbo or Morales will have to go to the OF, think Trumbo won't have a sophomore slump and/or Morales after being out for almost two full years with a bad leg break will be back to full speed? Can't hide Wells and Abreu both at the DH.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu won't be playing in the outfield. Hunter and Wells are both very capable outfielders. Bourjos and Trout are excellent. I expect Bourjos to be the starting CF and Trout in AAA for a couple of months but he'll arrive in a big way this season. Honestly, not even sure Abreu plays much if at all. I expect Morales to DH or play 1st and same with Trumbo. Heck, Abreu may not even make the team. I know you hate the Angels but that is not a bad team at all and they definitely need 2 starting pitchers. Not a reach at all to sign CJ and have 4 really good rotation pieces.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu won't be playing in the outfield. Hunter and Wells are both very capable outfielders. Bourjos and Trout are excellent. I expect Bourjos to be the starting CF and Trout in AAA for a couple of months but he'll arrive in a big way this season. Honestly, not even sure Abreu plays much if at all. I expect Morales to DH or play 1st and same with Trumbo. Heck, Abreu may not even make the team. I know you hate the Angels but that is not a bad team at all and they definitely need 2 starting pitchers. Not a reach at all to sign CJ and have 4 really good rotation pieces.

I don't hate the Angels, I rip on them because they are a rival. I have a hard time they are going to cut or bench $9million. Maybe, but I doubt it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again. Wells and torii are both capable but torii especially is on the decline. The team is not terrible, but they're not world beaters either.