• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not Michael Young is an all star caliber first baseman or whether or not he is liked or disliked has no bearing in this discussion. It also makes no difference that everybody has a bad fielding day. The discussion is not a comparison or popularity contest. The subject matter is the play at 1st base.

Replays show that Young bobbled the ball and that in turn caused Colby to hesitate in order to keep from over running the bag. He had to stop, watch Young and at the same time watch for a throw, if there was going to be one, and at the same time search for the bag with his foot.

All of which could have been avoided with a clean pick and toss of the ball. Young simply didn't make the plays and there is no way to get around that or placing the blame on Colby or anybody else. Neither ball that MY bobbled were that difficult of a play. They were simply botched ground balls.

You're hate for MY really has you reaching here.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99.9999% is a bit high but at least 85-95%say it was on Colby

That's just stuff you're pulling out of your butt, Scotsman. There is no way to even remotely produce those numbers as fact.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't really care to jump in on the dogpile here, but Michael Young is what he is. He is no longer a reliable defender. If he has to spend significant time at 1B or any position this season other than in the utility role then the team is at a disadvantage.

I love MY and I love the role he plays. I hope the Rangers and he can figure out a way to keep him here for life, but keep him out of the field for extended stretches as much as you can.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care to jump in on the dogpile here, but Michael Young is what he is. He is no longer a reliable defender. If he has to spend significant time at 1B or any position this season other than in the utility role then the team is at a disadvantage.

I love MY and I love the role he plays. I hope the Rangers and he can figure out a way to keep him here for life, but keep him out of the field for extended stretches as much as you can.

I don't disagree with this at all. Just saying MY spending minimal time at an IF position is perfectly reasonable. He's not complete garbage is all I'm saying.

MY at any IF position does not = Vlad in RF by comparison which I think is what Al would have us believe.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just stuff you're pulling out of your butt, Scotsman. There is no way to even remotely produce those numbers as fact.

and what do you call what you keep pulling out of your ass? Colby said it was on him, the announcers said it was on Colby, just about the only person who didn't say it was on Colby was MY.

from day one you have spouted nothing but hate for MY and you have insulted anyone who disagrees with you on him. nobody here is saying MY is an everyday player at any position but that he is an adequate utility player who is serviceable enough to give Moreland, Kinsler, Beltre and even Andrus occasional rest days from the field.

Name someone on the roster who can do that and still keep those players and their bats along with MY's bat in this batting order:

Ian Kinsler 2B
Elvis Andrus SS
Michael Young DH
Josh Hamilton LF
Adrian Beltre 3B
Nelson Cruz RF
Mike Napoli C
Mitch Moreland 1B
Craig Gentry CF

Yorvit Torrealba C
David Murphy OF

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what do you call what you keep pulling out of your ass? Colby said it was on him, the announcers said it was on Colby, just about the only person who didn't say it was on Colby was MY.

from day one you have spouted nothing but hate for MY and you have insulted anyone who disagrees with you on him. nobody here is saying MY is an everyday player at any position but that he is an adequate utility player who is serviceable enough to give Moreland, Kinsler, Beltre and even Andrus occasional rest days from the field.

Name someone on the roster who can do that and still keep those players and their bats along with MY's bat in this batting order:

Ian Kinsler 2B
Elvis Andrus SS
Michael Young DH
Josh Hamilton LF
Adrian Beltre 3B
Nelson Cruz RF
Mike Napoli C
Mitch Moreland 1B
Craig Gentry CF

Yorvit Torrealba C
David Murphy OF

Kinsler could play any position Young could play given the same amount of time to practice and play it just as well and still provide the same amount of bat

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler could play any position Young could play given the same amount of time to practice and play it just as well and still provide the same amount of bat

that's obvious but doesn't answer my original question: how do you keep those 9 in the batting order without using MY as the occasional utility player that allows them to hit in the DH position?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying that it's all Colby's fault. Obviously MY should have fielded it cleanly and if he did, we're not having this conversation. But Colby should have also put his foot on the bag instead of next to it(which I believe he was perfectly physically capable of doing). If he does, we're not having this conversation either. Both were at fault and I don't think anybody is saying otherwise except you Al, who appear to place all the blame on MY and that's why your posts get disregarded sometimes. It appears that you really hate and have some sort of personal grudge against the guy and want him off the team. I'm not saying that you've stated that to be the case, just saying that's how you come off sometimes.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's obvious but doesn't answer my original question: how do you keep those 9 in the batting order without using MY as the occasional utility player that allows them to hit in the DH position?

You could come up with any number of scenarios in which a player is the only one who could fill that spot

Young allows you to keep only one UTIL (SS) player as opposed to 2 and still recieve a fair amount of value, so basically he saves a bench spot from a role player and allows you to carry the best available player instead

Some of you overstate the value Young provides though:

Average offense at DH

Average offense at 1B and below average defense

Above average offense and below average defense at 2B

Average offense and below average defense at 3B

Above average and more at SS and emergency only defensive capabilities at SS (more of a non-factor if anything)

Its only his ability to do ALL these things that gives him any consideration as a "good/above average" player still

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could come up with any number of scenarios in which a player is the only one who could fill that spot

Young allows you to keep only one UTIL (SS) player as opposed to 2 and still recieve a fair amount of value, so basically he saves a bench spot from a role player and allows you to carry the best available player instead

Some of you overstate the value Young provides though:

Average offense at DH

Average offense at 1B and below average defense

Above average offense and below average defense at 2B

Average offense and below average defense at 3B

Above average and more at SS and emergency only defensive capabilities at SS (more of a non-factor if anything)

Its only his ability to do ALL these things that gives him any consideration as a "good/above average" player still

Kind of hard to call Young an average offensive player period when only one player hit for higher average than him in the AL last year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nobody said that Torrealaba wasn't a spare. If that's why your spinning this account then you wasted your time.
Torrealba was standing on top of the plate and the throw was a good two or three feet wide of the plate on the home dugout side of the plate. The runner wasn't even in the picture from the replay I looked at, which tells me the runner is a dead duck with a good throw. If you have something better then post it. To me the replay doesn't look any different from what I saw at the game in person. Just a piss poor throw.

Was a force play at the plate ... Berkman was at 3b, Freese at 2nd, Molina at 1b having just been intentionally walked to set up the potential for a double play. Napoli's throw was off line ... but a big league catcher ought to be able to position themselves correctly to make the play by staying away from the runner coming down the line from 3b.

And yea ... Torrealba is a spare. After Game 3 he PH for Chavez who was PH for CJ in Game 6 and Rhodes got him out in 3 pitches. Arthur probably tricked him and threw him the same stuff he threw when he was pitching for TEX ... but Torrealba couldn't handle him.

Torrealba is a spare. He's so bad I wish TEX had kept Teagarden.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a force play at the plate ... Berkman was at 3b, Freese at 2nd, Molina at 1b having just been intentionally walked to set up the potential for a double play. Napoli's throw was off line ... but a big league catcher ought to be able to position themselves correctly to make the play by staying away from the runner coming down the line from 3b.

And yea ... Torrealba is a spare. After Game 3 he PH for Chavez who was PH for CJ in Game 6 and Rhodes got him out in 3 pitches. Arthur probably tricked him and threw him the same stuff he threw when he was pitching for TEX ... but Torrealba couldn't handle him.

At least Teagarden could handle the pitching staff. I still can't believe they gave Salty away for wet toilet paper.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with this at all. Just saying MY spending minimal time at an IF position is perfectly reasonable. He's not complete garbage is all I'm saying.

MY at any IF position does not = Vlad in RF by comparison which I think is what Al would have us believe.

No US to it, just you. I think most astute baseball fans get it. I wasn't comparing any IF positions or MY's worth on a seasonal basis or even part time basis or whether or not he was complete garbage. It was simply a one game comparison.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No US to it, just you. I think most astute baseball fans get it. I wasn't comparing any IF positions or MY's worth on a seasonal basis or even part time basis or whether or not he was complete garbage. It was simply a one game comparison.

Now that is total horse shit. You have busted MY's balls ever since I've seen you post. Believe me, I'm not the only one who has noticed.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hard to call Young an average offensive player period when only one player hit for higher average than him in the AL last year.

Above average batting average, below average HRs, Average RBI total, for a DH I'd say his numbers were pretty average overall, maybe a tick above average, and I'd say compared to the average 1B his numbers would be pretty much average overall

The RBI total is an example of how RBIs can be an overrated stat, I'm sure the high RBI total is a product of high numbers of runners on in front of him

More to offense than hitting singles and doubles

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Above average batting average, below average HRs, Average RBI total, for a DH I'd say his numbers were pretty average overall, maybe a tick above average, and I'd say compared to the average 1B his numbers would be pretty much average overall

The RBI total is an example of how RBIs can be an overrated stat, I'm sure the high RBI total is a product of high numbers of runners on in front of him

More to offense than hitting singles and doubles

I don't think he should be hitting in the 3 or 4 spot as he hits into too many double plays.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always going to be an issue for a guy that doesn't hit a lot of HRs and hits a lot of line drives

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter if it was a force or not, the catcher was standing on top of freakin' home plate. It wasn't a throw that was just off line. It was in Ft Worth and now your making it sound like it Torrealba's fault for not anticipating that he should have been standing in Ruth Ryan's lap?
"I wish Texas had kept Teagarden". :violin: