• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People see what they want I guess, agree to disagree

Well regardless of who's right or wrong, that will be the play that every Rangers fan will remember from that series for the rest of their lives. If we don't win one in our lifetime, I will be cursing Cruz on my deathbed lol.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WS2011 Gm6: Freese's two-out triple ties in the ninth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Tough? Sure. Still "fairly" routine as I said, because he should have caught that. He slowed down too soon and then mistimed his leap. I don't think that would have been a web gem kind of catch by any means.

Ugh why did I just watch that...*pukes*

I can't watch it. It took the Mavs winning so that I could even really admit the Finals collapse in Miami wasn't entirely a Stern conspiracy.

As for the play from my memory and the few brief clips I see from time to time on accident, there was nothing about that play that had me thinking it was a game tying hit. Off the bat it didn't seem hit too hard, and watching Cruz track it I thought he was going to make the play. You can see that he takes a horrible path to the ball though, so it certainly is a catch he could have made 9 times out of 10 if he had it to do over. It's no pop fly, but it's also wasn't a play only Josh Hamilton would make.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never suggested Lowe had better numbers than Koji. I just said Lowe isn't garbage as you would have us believe.

Ok ... you said: "Lowe was better this last year than you were painting him" ... and I misread it to be saying that he was better than Koji. You didn't say that.

However ... I disagree that Lowe was "better this last year than (I) was painting him. He was pretty unreliable by just about any measure of how you measure a relief pitcher.

Going into 2011 ... TEX planned to use Feliz as an SP and planned on using Lowe as the closer. Now with Nathan, Adams, and Ogando covering the 7th, 8th, and 9th ... that leaves Lowe's only shot as sharing time cleaning up the 6th with Koji.

I think Tateyama is better suited for that job 'platooning" with Koji than Lowe.

So Lowe's best shot may be to get late inning work at Round Rock ... perhaps that is not garbage ... but he'd be in the same can.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz's two-year, $16MM contract is backloaded, according to the Associated Press (h/t Boston Herald). Cruz will earn $5MM in 2012, along with a $500K signing bonus, and will earn $10.5MM in 2013. The right-handed hitter can also earn up to an additional $500K based on plate appearances.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WS2011 Gm6: Freese's two-out triple ties in the ninth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Tough? Sure. Still "fairly" routine as I said, because he should have caught that. He slowed down too soon and then mistimed his leap. I don't think that would have been a web gem kind of catch by any means.

Ugh why did I just watch that...*pukes*

Just saw the play (again). Cruz had (what appeared to have) a good break on the ball. The ball was totally catchable. It was misjudged, plain and simple. It was hit harder than he thought coupled with the intensity of the situation causing this to happen.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem with Lowe is that he looks like he has great stuff for a few batters and then all of a sudden somebody with warning track power who hasn't hit it out of the infield all game, wallops a 450 foot fly ball on an 0-2 count. What is the lovefest with this guy?

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok ... you said: "Lowe was better this last year than you were painting him" ... and I misread it to be saying that he was better than Koji. You didn't say that.

However ... I disagree that Lowe was "better this last year than (I) was painting him. He was pretty unreliable by just about any measure of how you measure a relief pitcher.

Going into 2011 ... TEX planned to use Feliz as an SP and planned on using Lowe as the closer. Now with Nathan, Adams, and Ogando covering the 7th, 8th, and 9th ... that leaves Lowe's only shot as sharing time cleaning up the 6th with Koji.

I think Tateyama is better suited for that job 'platooning" with Koji than Lowe.

So Lowe's best shot may be to get late inning work at Round Rock ... perhaps that is not garbage ... but he'd be in the same can.

Keep in mind that Lowe was still recovering from surgery last year, and he had that period in the middle of the year where he was darn near the best arm in the pen. I would expect more of that Lowe than the one who started the year and the one who had nothing left in the playoffs.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just saw the play (again). Cruz had (what appeared to have) a good break on the ball. The ball was totally catchable. It was misjudged, plain and simple. It was hit harder than he thought coupled with the intensity of the situation causing this to happen.

He's also admitted he should have made the play. I'll take the man at his word on this one.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well regardless of who's right or wrong, that will be the play that every Rangers fan will remember from that series for the rest of their lives. If we don't win one in our lifetime, I will be cursing Cruz on my deathbed lol.

Just went back and went through Game 6 play-by-play and pitch-by-pitch for the top of the 5th. One move now really appears strange. With 2 outs Young at 3b ... and Napoli just given an intentional walk ... TEX PH Murphy for Gentry. Murphy was walked on five pitches ... and then Colby struck out with the bases loaded with TEX leading 4-3.

Was it a surprise that STL pitched around Murphy to get to Lewis? If you PH for Gentry ... and load the bases ... why didn't TEX PH then for Lewis? Maybe the better move would have been to let Gentry hit ... and if he gets on base with a walk ... then you let Murphy PH for Lewis. If Gentry gets a hit ... scoring run(s) ... then you let Lewis bat.

Doesn't make sense to PH for Gentry with runner at 1st and 3rd ... and then not PH for Lewis with the bases loaded.

In any case ... Game 6 was an abortion ... but I remain convinced that the WS was blown when Torrealba failed to field Napoli's throw to the plate in the top of the 4th in Game 3 because Torrealba positioned himself on the 3b side of the plate rather than the 1b side.

If Torrealba makes that play ... and presuming the subsequent throw to Kinsler covering 1b for a double play ... then TEX is out of the inning with STL leading 2-0 rather than STL leading 5-0.

TEX scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 4th ... and would have owned the lead ... and should have gone on to win Game 3. Had Torrealba made the play ... there wouldn't have been a Game 6.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keep in mind that Lowe was still recovering from surgery last year, and he had that period in the middle of the year where he was darn near the best arm in the pen. I would expect more of that Lowe than the one who started the year and the one who had nothing left in the playoffs.

Nothing left for the playoffs? He only pitched 45 innings in 52 games. That is 20 innings fewer than Uehara who is 8 years older pitched!

Lowe was healthy enough after coming over from SEA to be named to the TEX post season roster ... and sound enough for TEX to have him penciled in as closer during 2011 ST. So not sure how we excuse his troubles in 2011 and attribute them to him still recovering from surgery. That makes it sound like Lowe is another Rich Harden.

Earlier I said I didn't call Lowe garbage ... but I certainly have no faith in him in pressure situations. Lowe reminds me of the CJ who used to set up or close for TEX back couple of years ago.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing left for the playoffs? He only pitched 45 innings in 52 games. That is 20 innings fewer than Uehara who is 8 years older pitched!

Lowe was healthy enough after coming over from SEA to be named to the TEX post season roster ... and sound enough for TEX to have him penciled in as closer during 2011 ST. So not sure how we excuse his troubles in 2011 and attribute them to him still recovering from surgery. That makes it sound like Lowe is another Rich Harden.

Earlier I said I didn't call Lowe garbage ... but I certainly have no faith in him in pressure situations. Lowe reminds me of the CJ who used to set up or close for TEX back couple of years ago.

Wasn't a fatigue issue, he had been hurt going into the playoffs

And agree about the earlier substitution of Murphy for Gentry, totally forgot about that

More faith in your pitcher to hit in a high pressure situation than your CFer? made no sense at the time

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went back and went through Game 6 play-by-play and pitch-by-pitch for the top of the 5th. One move now really appears strange. With 2 outs Young at 3b ... and Napoli just given an intentional walk ... TEX PH Murphy for Gentry. Murphy was walked on five pitches ... and then Colby struck out with the bases loaded with TEX leading 4-3.

Was it a surprise that STL pitched around Murphy to get to Lewis? If you PH for Gentry ... and load the bases ... why didn't TEX PH then for Lewis? Maybe the better move would have been to let Gentry hit ... and if he gets on base with a walk ... then you let Murphy PH for Lewis. If Gentry gets a hit ... scoring run(s) ... then you let Lewis bat.

Doesn't make sense to PH for Gentry with runner at 1st and 3rd ... and then not PH for Lewis with the bases loaded.

In any case ... Game 6 was an abortion ... but I remain convinced that the WS was blown when Torrealba failed to field Napoli's throw to the plate in the top of the 4th in Game 3 because Torrealba positioned himself on the 3b side of the plate rather than the 1b side.

If Torrealba makes that play ... and presuming the subsequent throw to Kinsler covering 1b for a double play ... then TEX is out of the inning with STL leading 2-0 rather than STL leading 5-0.

TEX scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 4th ... and would have owned the lead ... and should have gone on to win Game 3. Had Torrealba made the play ... there wouldn't have been a Game 6.

If Torrealba makes the play?? The Cardinals scored 18 runs and Napoli misses a throw that most Little Leaguers are expected to make, but it's the catcher's fault because you think he was standing 18 inches off line? Give me a break.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Torrealba makes the play?? The Cardinals scored 18 runs and Napoli misses a throw that most Little Leaguers are expected to make, but it's the catcher's fault because you think he was standing 18 inches off line? Give me a break.

Yep. Go watch the video to see who was standing on the wrong side of the plate. If Napoli makes a perfect throw to where the catcher is supposed to be ... Torrealba still fails to make the catch. Loss is charged to the first failure in the chain ... and that was Torrealba's.

Torrealba is a spare.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeez why are we talking about this a week before pitchers/catchers report.......cruz/wash fucked up big time thats it

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see how the entire game can be laid at the feet of Nellie when there was also MY's play at 1st base that contributed to a couple of runs, a couple of runners not advanced and the perhaps the biggest mistake of the night that is also in the video. A two strike fastball to a RH hitter that couldn't have been more down the middle and in the heart of the strike zone had the batter himself placed the ball on a hitting tee.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the entire game can be laid at the feet of Nellie when there was also MY's play at 1st base that contributed to a couple of runs, a couple of runners not advanced and the perhaps the biggest mistake of the night that is also in the video. A two strike fastball to a RH hitter that couldn't have been more down the middle and in the heart of the strike zone had the batter himself placed the ball on a hitting tee.

Get off the MY thing. At least one of those plays was very tough and Colby was just as much at fault as him.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Go watch the video to see who was standing on the wrong side of the plate. If Napoli makes a perfect throw to where the catcher is supposed to be ... Torrealba still fails to make the catch. Loss is charged to the first failure in the chain ... and that was Torrealba's.

Torrealba is a spare.

Nobody said that Torrealaba wasn't a spare. If that's why your spinning this account then you wasted your time.
Torrealba was standing on top of the plate and the throw was a good two or three feet wide of the plate on the home dugout side of the plate. The runner wasn't even in the picture from the replay I looked at, which tells me the runner is a dead duck with a good throw. If you have something better then post it. To me the replay doesn't look any different from what I saw at the game in person. Just a piss poor throw.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said that Torrealaba wasn't a spare. If that's why your spinning this account then you wasted your time.
Torrealba was standing on top of the plate and the throw was a good two or three feet wide of the plate on the home dugout side of the plate. The runner wasn't even in the picture from the replay I looked at, which tells me the runner is a dead duck with a good throw. If you have something better then post it. To me the replay doesn't look any different from what I saw at the game in person. Just a piss poor throw.

It was a piss poor throw, but Torrealba's concrete feet didn't help matters either.