• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009: 4.05 ERA and 1.25 WHIP 66.2 IP (all starts)
2010: 2.86, 0.95, 44
2011: 2.35, 0.72, 65

175.2 IP and 188 Ks, soft tosser or not he strikes people out

2009 he was only a starter and it was his first season in the U.S. so not really a fair comparison to his 2011

Guy ran into some troubles with the longball pitching in Arlington, 3 HRs in 6.1 IP

Thanks. I was to lazy to post the exact numbers.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would still prefer Koji in the bullpen than "Long Ball Lowe".

Let it go winding. It was one home run in an absolute meltdown of the bullpen. The game should've never gotten to him.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let it go winding. It was one home run in an absolute meltdown of the bullpen. The game should've never gotten to him.

Know you weren't touting Lowe over Uehara but at the end of the day the numbers reveal Koji's superiority over Lowe in this comparison.

Lowe 52G 196PA ... 19ER 6HR ... 1.444WHIP... 3.80ERA
Vs RHB ... .268/.327/.412/.739
Vs LHB ... .256/.341/.462/.802
Total ... .263/.333/.434/.768

Uehara 65G 243PA ... 17ER 11HR ... 0.723WHIP ... 2.35ERA
Vs RHB ... .197/.195/.402/.597
Vs LHB ... .130/.194/.278/.472
Total ... .164/.194/.341/.535

In truth ... Lowe isn't competing for a spot against Uehara. TEX move to reinstall Ogando in the bullpen actually trumps Lowe as an effective alternative.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know you weren't touting Lowe over Uehara but at the end of the day the numbers reveal Koji's superiority over Lowe in this comparison.

Lowe 52G 196PA ... 19ER 6HR ... 1.444WHIP... 3.80ERA
Vs RHB ... .268/.327/.412/.739
Vs LHB ... .256/.341/.462/.802
Total ... .263/.333/.434/.768

Uehara 65G 243PA ... 17ER 11HR ... 0.723WHIP ... 2.35ERA
Vs RHB ... .197/.195/.402/.597
Vs LHB ... .130/.194/.278/.472
Total ... .164/.194/.341/.535

In truth ... Lowe isn't competing for a spot against Uehara. TEX move to reinstall Ogando in the bullpen actually trumps Lowe as an effective alternative.

I don't disagree with that last part, but Lowe was better this last year than you were painting him.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hadn't looked at the numbers before but with those numbers how was he better?

Just remember how bad he was before he was sent to AAA. Those horrible appearances really affected his numbers. He wasn't lights out, but he wasn't a scrub either.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington was grossly out managed 2 WS in a row. That said, all I'm saying is I'm not ready to throw Koji to the dogs yet.

The Rangers ran into the hottest pitching staff in baseball in the 2010 WS so it's kinda hard to out manage the other guy when your bats are getting shut down. There is no way they were going to win that year regardless of what Wash did.
Last year they were within one strike of winning in two consecutive innings. However it was the Rangers players whop failed to close out the game. Nellie Cruz misjudging a fly ball. Michael Young's brain farts at at 1st base and an inability to score a runner from 3rd base with less than two outs. I don't understand how that can be laid at the feet of Wash.
To make matters worse, the Rangers have been screwed both years by stupid meaningless All Star game results and lost HFA as a result. That was probably a bigger difference maker in the 2011 WS since St Louis's roster was better equipped for NL play.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers ran into the hottest pitching staff in baseball in the 2010 WS so it's kinda hard to out manage the other guy when your bats are getting shut down. There is no way they were going to win that year regardless of what Wash did.
Last year they were within one strike of winning in two consecutive innings. However it was the Rangers players whop failed to close out the game. Nellie Cruz misjudging a fly ball. Michael Young's brain farts at at 1st base and an inability to score a runner from 3rd base with less than two outs. I don't understand how that can be laid at the feet of Wash.
To make matters worse, the Rangers have been screwed both years by stupid meaningless All Star game results and lost HFA as a result. That was probably a bigger difference maker in the 2011 WS since St Louis's roster was better equipped for NL play.

Everything you said was true, but everyone has to accept blame including Wash who has been completely outclassed in back to back WS.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you said was true, but everyone has to accept blame including Wash who has been completely outclassed in back to back WS.

Not a Wash apologist, but he was hardly outclassed, he made some questionable decisions but so did the other guys, Larussa and the bullpen phone blunder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe Oakland signed Cespedes. He'll be a pain in our ass until Billy trades him for a box of spiders.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree with that last part, but Lowe was better this last year than you were painting him.

Those were Lowe's 2011 numbers ... so maybe I'm not understanding your phrase "... Lowe was better this last year than (I) was painting him". How was he better in the overall?

Koji's WHIP and ERA were better than Lowe's across the entire season ... his slash line was better ... and Koji's WHIP was half that of Lowe's.

Koji gave up 17ERs and 11HRs across 243PAs (.070ER/PA and .045HR/PA) while Lowe gave up 19ERs and 6HRs across 196PAs (.097ER/PA and .031HR/PA).

So the only advantage Lowe had over Koji was in HRs given up ... which since HRs are included in the ER count ... so while Koji gave up the long ball more but he gave up fewer ERs per PA.

And as we all have noted ... Lowe is not competing for a RP spot with Uehara ... he's competing with Tateyama. With Ogando in the BP ... I contend that Lowe doesn't provide a different look ... while Tateyama does have totally different look.

So a 7 man BP comes down to the following and I think not only would Uehara offer more than Lowe ... so does Tateyama (who was on the same pitching staff as Darvish for all but last season).

Nathan
Adams
Ogando
Uehara
Feldman
Kirkman
Tateyama/Lowe

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Wash apologist, but he was hardly outclassed, he made some questionable decisions but so did the other guys, Larussa and the bullpen phone blunder

Starting Vlad in RF in game 1 last year

Letting Holland walk how many batters in a row against the Giants?

Starting Torrealba in game 3 because "he's part of the team"

Pinching German with Torrealba sitting on the bench

Starting Harrison in game 7 with Holland on enough rest

Pulling your closer after Josh hits a 2 run homer with the 7,8, and pitcher spots coming up and going to a soft tossing lefty who always lets the first man on.

Letting Oliver pitch them into a tight spot before finally pulling him for Feldman and putting Feldman in with zero wiggle room.

These are just a few "questionable" calls Wash has made the last two WS. I'm not calling for his head, I'm just saying his in game managing skills are... questionable.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were Lowe's 2011 numbers ... so maybe I'm not understanding your phrase "... Lowe was better this last year than (I) was painting him". How was he better in the overall?

Koji's WHIP and ERA were better than Lowe's across the entire season ... his slash line was better ... and Koji's WHIP was half that of Lowe's.

Koji gave up 17ERs and 11HRs across 243PAs (.070ER/PA and .045HR/PA) while Lowe gave up 19ERs and 6HRs across 196PAs (.097ER/PA and .031HR/PA).

So the only advantage Lowe had over Koji was in HRs given up ... which since HRs are included in the ER count ... so while Koji gave up the long ball more but he gave up fewer ERs per PA.

And as we all have noted ... Lowe is not competing for a RP spot with Uehara ... he's competing with Tateyama. With Ogando in the BP ... I contend that Lowe doesn't provide a different look ... while Tateyama does have totally different look.

So a 7 man BP comes down to the following and I think not only would Uehara offer more than Lowe ... so does Tateyama (who was on the same pitching staff as Darvish for all but last season).

Nathan
Adams
Ogando
Uehara
Feldman
Kirkman
Tateyama/Lowe

I never suggested Lowe had better numbers than Koji. I just said Lowe isn't garbage as you would have us believe.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Vlad in RF in game 1 last year

Letting Holland walk how many batters in a row against the Giants?

Starting Torrealba in game 3 because "he's part of the team"

Pinching German with Torrealba sitting on the bench

Starting Harrison in game 7 with Holland on enough rest

Pulling your closer after Josh hits a 2 run homer with the 7,8, and pitcher spots coming up and going to a soft tossing lefty who always lets the first man on.

Letting Oliver pitch them into a tight spot before finally pulling him for Feldman and putting Feldman in with zero wiggle room.

These are just a few "questionable" calls Wash has made the last two WS. I'm not calling for his head, I'm just saying his in game managing skills are... questionable.

What you call questionable is nothing short of message board second guessing. These guys get paid to play baseball and did so at a pretty high level all year and when you get to the nut cutting you're going to tell them to keep their seat?? Not a manager on earth will manager that way and if they do they shouldn't be in the major leagues.

I would imagine Vlad started in RF for the same reason MY started at 1st base.

Your going to find fault because Wash had faith enough in Torrealba to start him and then complain because he didn't use him as a pinch hitter??

What does it matter who started game 7? As soon as the Cards tied the game the Rangers threw in the towel.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say Wash was outmanaged is kind of ridiculous IMO. I was in Afghanistan for the 2010 WS so I can't speak on that. Pinch hitting German was really the only unquestionably WTF kind of decision he made. TLR made some mistakes too, but even after that giant list of Wash's so called mistakes, it took the Cards having home field advantage, the worst strike zone difference in over a decade, some of the biggest blown calls I've ever seen, the biggest bullpen meltdown we had all season, and Cruz not catching a fairly routine fly ball for STL to win that series. I'm not saying Wash made all the right calls but I just have a problem with placing any blame on Wash at all, he's pretty far down on my list when it comes to the blame game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say Wash was outmanaged is kind of ridiculous IMO. I was in Afghanistan for the 2010 WS so I can't speak on that. Pinch hitting German was really the only unquestionably WTF kind of decision he made. TLR made some mistakes too, but even after that giant list of Wash's so called mistakes, it took the Cards having home field advantage, the worst strike zone difference in over a decade, some of the biggest blown calls I've ever seen, the biggest bullpen meltdown we had all season, and Cruz not catching a fairly routine fly ball for STL to win that series. I'm not saying Wash made all the right calls but I just have a problem with placing any blame on Wash at all, he's pretty far down on my list when it comes to the blame game.

Fair enough.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still completely disagree that the Cruz fly ball in game 6 was routine, it was a very tough play

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still completely disagree that the Cruz fly ball in game 6 was routine, it was a very tough play

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WS2011 Gm6: Freese's two-out triple ties in the ninth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Tough? Sure. Still "fairly" routine as I said, because he should have caught that. He slowed down too soon and then mistimed his leap. I don't think that would have been a web gem kind of catch by any means.

Ugh why did I just watch that...*pukes*

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3