• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ask yourself..have I claimed to have inside Rangers sources or just disagreed with Senor Cut and Paste does? Big difference.

Well that's true ... you haven't claimed inside sources like LL used to do. And others have also critiqued "CnP". If I can pry TB over from the ESPN forum ghost town ... then he'll be able to figure out pretty quick the mysterious persona.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't grasp the intricacies of Joey and Pras sabermetrics.

Me either. Sometimes a lot of that stuff (not all of it) is a bit far fetched to me. It's fun to talk about it but it seems when it comes contract time a lot of it goes right out the window. JMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
off topic but we still need spots filled in the fantasy baseball thread if anyone's interested

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either. Sometimes a lot of that stuff (not all of it) is a bit far fetched to me. It's fun to talk about it but it seems when it comes contract time a lot of it goes right out the window. JMO.

Always been a big statistics person, and even with sabermetrics, its way over my head

One thing thats great about JD and Nolan is that JD and his guys are good at the sabermetrics, which has its place, but also Nolan's idea that pitchers shouldn't be pussies, I think the mixing of ideologies has been highly beneficial for the Rangers

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always been a big statistics person, and even with sabermetrics, its way over my head

One thing thats great about JD and Nolan is that JD and his guys are good at the sabermetrics, which has its place, but also Nolan's idea that pitchers shouldn't be pussies, I think the mixing of ideologies has been highly beneficial for the Rangers

No doubt it has it's place in baseball and I don't have a problem with that. If JD and staff has used it then it's hard to argue with their results. The thing about sabermetrics that I don't agree with is that some message board posters seem to think it's the last word in player evaluation. Do you really need a UZR stat to tell you that Ian Kinsler has incredible range?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt it has it's place in baseball and I don't have a problem with that. If JD and staff has used it then it's hard to argue with their results. The thing about sabermetrics that I don't agree with is that some message board posters seem to think it's the last word in player evaluation. Do you really need a UZR stat to tell you that Ian Kinsler has incredible range?

No but its always a good counter to people saying Adam Jones is a good defensive CFer, when in fact he is not, Gold Glove or not

Or that Torii Hunter wasn't all that good in CF either, he just made enough great plays to "ooooo" and "aaaaa" some voters and fans

There's a place for the eye test and gut feelings as a counter to sabermetrics, and vice versa

You can't rely on one, they have to be paired together

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No but its always a good counter to people saying Adam Jones is a good defensive CFer, when in fact he is not, Gold Glove or not

Or that Torii Hunter wasn't all that good in CF either, he just made enough great plays to "ooooo" and "aaaaa" some voters and fans

There's a place for the eye test and gut feelings as a counter to sabermetrics, and vice versa

You can't rely on one, they have to be paired together

Marlon Byrd was always making diving spectacular catches to thrill the crowd. Same drive today Gentry might just glide over and make a routine catch.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlon Byrd was always making diving spectacular catches to thrill the crowd. Same drive today Gentry might just glide over and make a routine catch.

Very good point haha

I don't think I've ever seen Gentry not be at ease under a ball in the OF, for him he's one of those guys that passes the eye test, or has "moxie" but doesn't wow you with the numbers people fall in love with, but is also helped out by sabermatrics when you look deep at his range factor and UZR and other stats

And once again, just say no to Adam Jones

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB trade rumors reports that Texas avoided arbitration with Napoli with a 1yr 9.4 million dollar contract. Glad that's over with.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB trade rumors reports that Texas avoided arbitration with Napoli with a 1yr 9.4 million dollar contract. Glad that's over with.

glad to hear it. now let's work on extensions for holland & kinsler

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man this team does not go to arbitration. I think the last case was Lee Stevens in 2000, or 2001. Pretty impressive.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very good point haha

I don't think I've ever seen Gentry not be at ease under a ball in the OF, for him he's one of those guys that passes the eye test, or has "moxie" but doesn't wow you with the numbers people fall in love with, but is also helped out by sabermatrics when you look deep at his range factor and UZR and other stats

And once again, just say no to Adam Jones

Agree ... Jones might have been a legitimate COF acquisition if TEX were threatened with losing Cruz ... but TEX does not need Jones in its CF mix.

Had to work through the double negative ref Gentry)... but I agree with your thoughts on him too.

Course .271/.347/.346/.693 in 2011 in 133ABs (100 more than he had in 2010) is pretty good production even if it were a platoon situation. His Minors .385 SLG is just 40 points above what was ostensibly his first ML season ... which gets his OPS up over the .700 level

If Gentry gets his share of OF hits he's going to become a doubles machine when by chance he puts it in the gap. Until then ... when he puts a routine ball in the OF ... or beats out an IF hit ... he'll be down at 2b in the next couple of pitches anyway.

Gentry is the perfect option in CF and batting 9th in front of Kinsler. Borbon (or Martin) might get a platoon opportunity teamed with Gentry ... but Martin may be more of a near term threat to Murphy and Borbon than he is to Gentry.

Wash kinda likes guys who are willing to run through walls for him. I think Gentry has done that exact thing twice more than all the other guys put together.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the A's. Won't pay money to keep guys that have shown to have good stuff, but fall for youtube clips and hype. I guess it is a good start, they need SOMEONE that can hit, but I'd rather offer up the $40+ it took to get him to someone with a track record.

Billy Beane is a hack that got lucky a few times. You could've bought a legitimate proven ML hitter or two for that.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Beane is a hack that got lucky a few times. You could've bought a legitimate proven ML hitter or two for that.

Plus not to mention a veteran presence or two to help the youngsters along the way...