• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...all it says it that he drank at a bar, doesn't say how much. I don't really care if he drinks, as long as he stays off the drugs. Never hurt Mickey Mantle.

If you knew his past you'd realize this is a big problem. The alcohol is his gateway to his drug addictions. This is not good. Josh may have just lost his chances at a contract extension. I've secretly been worried he was headed down this path. I thought I'd noticed a difference in his demeanor.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...all it says it that he drank at a bar, doesn't say how much. I don't really care if he drinks, as long as he stays off the drugs. Never hurt Mickey Mantle.

If you truly belive that then you don't know much (talking about Mickey Mantle)

But aside from the fact that you always worry about a former addict doing something like this, I don't mind a couple drinks as long as it doesnt into something more

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you knew his past you'd realize this is a big problem. The alcohol is his gateway to his drug addictions. This is not good. Josh may have just lost his chances at a contract extension. I've secretly been worried he was headed down this path. I thought I'd noticed a difference in his demeanor.

Well aware of his past, I just don't believe in alcoholism or the idea that if you've had problems in the past that you can't have a drop for the rest of your life or you'll become a crackhead. If Josh can learn to control his drinking, then I'm happy for him. If he hits rock bottom again, well that sucks. But I'm not going to overreact to the story until there's news of something to really be worried about.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well aware of his past, I just don't believe in alcoholism or the idea that if you've had problems in the past that you can't have a drop for the rest of your life or you'll become a crackhead. If Josh can learn to control his drinking, then I'm happy for him. If he hits rock bottom again, well that sucks. But I'm not going to overreact to the story until there's news of something to really be worried about.

I'm not overreacting yet either, but I doubt anything would be reported if it were just a drink or two. Josh said himself in his book that he realized he can't have any alcohol because he simply cannot control it. I don't necessarily believe that an episode will take him down a path of self-destruction, but it's a step in the wrong direction. Anyone who doesn't believe in the concept of being addicted to alcohol (alcoholism) is fooling themselves. It's a slippery slope.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He looked a little uncomfortable after the liver transplant.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked a little uncomfortable after the liver transplant.

"Well before he finally sought treatment for alcoholism, Mantle admitted his hard living had hurt both his playing and his family."

I'll take Mantle's word for it

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking only about production. I don't concern myself with the long term health of athletes.

No matter how you slice it there is no way you can be an alcoholic and not have it effect every aspect of your life, including baseball. Especially a guy who played with so many leg injuries.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how you slice it there is no way you can be an alcoholic and not have it effect every aspect of your life, including baseball. Especially a guy who played with so many leg injuries.

Especially a guy who had admitted to playing hungover/drunk repeatedly throughout his career

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben rogers mentioned something about kinsler also via twitter, he didnt go into detail though. any ideas?

I'm not really following it closely, the twitterheads are going to talk, I'll just wait to hear something more from Hamilton and the Rangers

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was talking only about production. I don't concern myself with the long term health of athletes.

Gotta say that having a drug addict in my family and a friend who is a recovering addict, alcohol is a huge trigger. That and pain killers too. As a matter of fact, my friend was given a pain killer and told it was a migrain pill a year or so ago. By the end of the night he had downed a bottle of tequilla. I've known the guy for about 5 years and I have NEVER known him to touch alcohol except for that time. That's how crazy the triggers can be.

I give Josh credit for working hard to control his addiction, and he certainly didn't break any crimes. He can kiss a long term deal from the Rangers goodbye though.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben rogers mentioned something about kinsler also via twitter, he didnt go into detail though. any ideas?

its being said that Kinsler received a call from Josh...so he went down to Sherlocks to check in on him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning the word was that Ian went down to try to get Josh to go home. No word on if it worked. Just what we need, a media circus right as the season is starting.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning the word was that Ian went down to try to get Josh to go home. No word on if it worked. Just what we need, a media circus right as the season is starting.

IF this is in fact true, then the positive in this is that Josh attempted to reach out when falling before temptation, and its another positive that Kinsler came to help

Waiting to hear more, but Josh has certainly cemented himself into the 3 year heavily incentivized contract range

Also, is Josh as likely to find as supportive of a team anywhere else?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF this is in fact true, then the positive in this is that Josh attempted to reach out when falling before temptation, and its another positive that Kinsler came to help

Waiting to hear more, but Josh has certainly cemented himself into the 3 year heavily incentivized contract range

Also, is Josh as likely to find as supportive of a team anywhere else?

None of this spells out big contract for josh. It's still very apparent that he needs his structured support system in place, and how many organizations are jumping at the opportunity to pay a staff member to be Josh's handler. If the Rangers are willing to extend him at all at this point he better see it for the blessing it is and take it.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its being said that Kinsler received a call from Josh...so he went down to Sherlocks to check in on him.

That sounds pretty clear cut. I wonder how the media got hold of this story?