• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from mlbtraderumors:

The Rangers and Nelson Cruz are working on avoiding an arbitration hearing, the outfielder tells Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com. Cruz also said that while the sides are negotiating for a one-year agreement, they are leaving open the door to a multiyear pact.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010: HOU and PHL ... no DL time
2011: PHL ...
-15day DL retroactive from 27 Apr 11 to 24 Jun 11 due to lower back inflamation (58 days out)

-15day DL retroactive from 5 Jul 11 to 7 Aug 11 due to lower back inflamation (35 days out)

58+35=93 days ... i.e. more than 3 months ... that is half the season

So I stick with my prediction ... Feliz might be ready about same time Oswalt's lower back strain returns.

I was under the impression that the back problem ended his season last year, but after looking I see that he came back and pitched over 100 innings the last 6 weeks of the season and still posted a respectable ERA.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Gina posted last fall that TEX was the only AL team whose 5 SPs ranked in 2011’s top 33 SP ERAs.

#7 – CJ 2.94, #15 Harrison 3.39, #19 Ogando 3.51, #24 Holland 3.95, #33 Lewis 4.40.

CHW had 4 SPs in that top 33 with Danks and Floyd squeaking in just ahead of Colby. No other AL team had 4. Going into 2012 ... TEX rotation is potentially stronger than 2011’s.

I think JD said it takes 10 durable and talented SPs to ensure a quality 5-man ML rotation. The harder the #10 SP qualified pitcher at the top of its system pushes those in front of him the greater the potential for the team to win.
Amazing how things changed in just 3 seasons. In 2008 TEX used 15 SPs with its opening day rotation (Millwood, Padilla, Jennings, Gabbard, and Mendoza) making only 87 starts. In 2011 TEX used only 7 SPs ... its opening day rotation made 157 starts ... 70 more starts by its top guys out of camp only 3 years later. Only 2 pitchers remain on the roster who started 2008 games ... Scott Feldman (6-8 in 25 starts with 5.29 ERA) and Matt Harrison (9-3 in 15 starts with 5.49 ERA).

No matter how TEX aligns past and future qualified starters (alphabetically) ... Darvish, Feldman, Feliz, Harrison, Holland, Kirkman, Lewis, Ogando, Perez, Ramirez ... or another name possibly ... odds are pretty good that the 2012 rotation will surpass the ERA performance of its 2011 group.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close ... Oswalt started 10 games and pitched 67.2 innings in second half of 2011 ... with a 3.59ERA but a .285 BA against.

Roy Oswalt 2011 Pitching Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

I should never post from memory. Should have known he couldn't have thrown that many innings in such a short time. Anywho, he did pretty well considering he had missed so much time. The point I was making was that he did come back from the back issues and has had an off season to deal with the back. Nothing that I saw suggested that the back issue was an on going problem. I suspect that the team will have a good feel for this one way or the other before making an offer..if in fact they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should never post from memory. Should have known he couldn't have thrown that many innings in such a short time. Anywho, he did pretty well considering he had missed so much time. The point I was making was that he did come back from the back issues and has had an off season to deal with the back. Nothing that I saw suggested that the back issue was an on going problem. I suspect that the team will have a good feel for this one way or the other before making an offer..if in fact they do.

I do recall it having been an issue when teams were looking to trade for him, b/c people didn't know how degenerative it was

He just hadn't missed any time as of yet

Its not something going away as its been an issue for 3 years now

rosslive99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oswalt not satisfied with Cardinals' offer

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Cardinals have not made Roy Oswalt a financial offer "that the pitcher deems anywhere close to sufficient."
Oswalt has made it clear that he would prefer to pitch for the Cardinals or Rangers, but he's not an easy fit for either team. While the veteran right-hander is looking for a one-year contract in the range of $10 million, both clubs have the proper rotation depth to wait him out. If the stalemate continues, Oswalt may have to turn his attention to an alternative like the Red Sox.
Source: FOXSports.com
Feb 1 - 10:03 AM

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oswalt not satisfied with Cardinals' offer

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Cardinals have not made Roy Oswalt a financial offer "that the pitcher deems anywhere close to sufficient."
Oswalt has made it clear that he would prefer to pitch for the Cardinals or Rangers, but he's not an easy fit for either team. While the veteran right-hander is looking for a one-year contract in the range of $10 million, both clubs have the proper rotation depth to wait him out. If the stalemate continues, Oswalt may have to turn his attention to an alternative like the Red Sox.
Source: FOXSports.com
Feb 1 - 10:03 AM

Take your butt to the Red Sox then, he's not worth 10 million to the Rangers

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I should never post from memory. Should have known he couldn't have thrown that many innings in such a short time. Anywho, he did pretty well considering he had missed so much time. The point I was making was that he did come back from the back issues and has had an off season to deal with the back. Nothing that I saw suggested that the back issue was an on going problem.

I suspect that the team will have a good feel for this one way or the other before making an offer..if in fact they do.

Yea ... considering he missed do much time he did prettyha good ... butf TEX signs him to the muliyear contract he wants ... they will want him to go the full six months ... not just three.

As others have said here or before ... his back has been an issue for past three years. It was only in 2011 when it caught up with him and he missed half the season.

2010: Rich Harden passed his physical after signing a $6.5mil 1yr deal 2011: Brandon Webb passed his physical and was supposed to be ready to go after signing a $3mil 1yr deal. Twice burned for very little gain other than depth.

Off the top of my head ... I can't remember an older pitcher recently who transitioned successfully to the AL after a career in the NL. Doesn't mean Oswalt might have a great year ... but what are the odds ... what is the track record ... and what is the risk versus reward?

What is a potential #5 worth versus cost considering you need to do deals for at least three of the young guys who could be in front of him or with whom he would be competing with pretty soon? If he comes in at what TEX offers him on a one year deal or two year deal with a low club buyout for 2013 ... to provide depth ... fine. If not ... then TEX doesn't lose when it stays in the conversation to the end.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an article on ESPN where Jim Bowden proposes a trade of Perez for Span.
ESPN MLB Bowden: A proposed trade for the Rangers

This is an asinine trade proposal in my opinion. Almost as dumb as the Profar and Young for Hanrahan idea. Span hit for lower average .264, stole 1/3 of the bases (6), and only 3 more Rbis (16) compared to Gentry who had less than half the plate appearances of Span in 2011. Span is no upgrade over Gentry IMO. For one thing Gentry has that raw speed that is such a weapon as indicated by his perfect record in stealing 18 bases in limited appearances this year.

On top of that he suggests Texas trade away their top pitching prospect for a guy with those numbers? It's stupidity like this that makes me wonder why any of us aren't paid for our baseball opinions. They seem just as valid as this clown's.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from mlbtraderumors:

Free agent righty Roy Oswalt, his wife Nicole, and his agent Bob Garber met with Rangers GM Jon Daniels and CEO and president Nolan Ryan for an exploratory lunch meeting in Arlington yesterday, reported Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's an article on ESPN where Jim Bowden proposes a trade of Perez for Span.
ESPN MLB Bowden: A proposed trade for the Rangers

This is an asinine trade proposal in my opinion. Almost as dumb as the Profar and Young for Hanrahan idea. Span hit for lower average .264, stole 1/3 of the bases (6), and only 3 more Rbis (16) compared to Gentry who had less than half the plate appearances of Span in 2011. Span is no upgrade over Gentry IMO. For one thing Gentry has that raw speed that is such a weapon as indicated by his perfect record in stealing 18 bases in limited appearances this year.

On top of that he suggests Texas trade away their top pitching prospect for a guy with those numbers? It's stupidity like this that makes me wonder why any of us aren't paid for our baseball opinions. They seem just as valid as this clown's.

Maybe we ought to form an LLC and take turns using a ghost writer name and turn out stuff that makes fan sense? That's probably how Jamie and Joey got started.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we ought to form an LLC and take turns using a ghost writer name and turn out stuff that makes fan sense? That's probably how Jamie and Joey got started.

Bowden is one of the worst, its no wonder he was canned as a GM, his talent evaulation is atrocious

Seems like every trade he suggest for the Rangers would royally screw the Rangers over

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. You claim everyone wants to sign Oswalt and move Feliz to AAA. Then you post a bunch of quotes of people saying IF they sign Oswalt the club might start Feliz in AAA to stretch out. Sorry, but all your quotes had exactly the opposite effect you desired. Learn the definition of "if".

didnt think ya'll guys were taking it so literal.....was just playing the other side

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to work on your readig comprehension, I said last go round as a starter he had struggles with finer aspects of the game, no where at all did I say he struggled horribly

But a guy with his stuff should be dominating more than a 3.49 ERA at AAA

He had issues he needed to work out and that was never done, he came up to the MLs and has been a reliever since then, aside from a couple ST starts

AND I have been adamantly against the Oswalt signing since the first it was ever mentioned, in fact I was against trading for the guy a couple years ago for the same reasons

I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if Feliz ended up in AAA if he struggles in ST, Oswalt or not... I'd prefer to have him at the ML level and work it out

So get your facts straight clown

settle down sir.....i have no problem with reading comprehension
i wasnt being as serious as some think i was,mainly just playing the devils advocate yesterday.I am against the possible oswalt deal and i believe feliz will do just fine and win his spot at ST....we shall see

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
settle down sir.....i have no problem with reading comprehension
i wasnt being as serious as some think i was,mainly just playing the devils advocate yesterday.I am against the possible oswalt deal and i believe feliz will do just fine and win his spot at ST....we shall see

What you said in one post was "... yeah been over this with romeo....all im saying is i dont want oswalt at the expense of feliz"

Sounds like you are trying to walk back what you said before saying you weren't really as serious as we may have read.

Nobody proposed acquiring Oswalt unless it was at the right price and in the right role ... principally for SP depth ... and certainly not "at the exense" of Feliz.

We all want Feliz to have a great ST and show off command of all his pitches. But if he and management are not 100% confident I think we would prefer he spend some lower pressure time at Round Rock rather than struggling and losing confidence pitching in the TEX rotation ... simply because some feel insistant that he be in the rotation at all cost.

If Oswalt's role if acquired helps that transition ... great ... but it would not be at the expense of Feliz or any other key performer.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you said in one post was "... yeah been over this with romeo....all im saying is i dont want oswalt at the expense of feliz"

Sounds like you are trying to walk back what you said before saying you weren't really as serious as we may have read.

Nobody proposed acquiring Oswalt unless it was at the right price and in the right role ... principally for SP depth ... and certainly not "at the exense" of Feliz.

We all want Feliz to have a great ST and show off command of all his pitches. But if he and management are not 100% confident I think we would prefer he spend some lower pressure time at Round Rock rather than struggling and losing confidence pitching in the TEX rotation ... simply because some feel insistant that he be in the rotation at all cost.

If Oswalt's role if acquired helps that transition ... great ... but it would not be at the expense of Feliz or any other key performer.

so how would you like me to respond....if cant see what im saying after the post from yesterday and today??? do we just start the whole debate over?

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it would be a waste to have feliz in AAA imo......i think we should pass on oswalt ,but who knows maybe the FO has a trade in the works that would make oswalt needed

i would rather give the young guys the ball-----like i said earlier we could have

holland,harrison,feliz,darvish,perez as our rotation in 2 years with them all being under 29

yeah and i was saying dont sign him :D

unless they wanna go 6 man/or have a trade working

so everybody wants to send feliz back down to the minors for oswalt......cool

cj/ogando took so long to adjust im sure feliz wont be ready until 2014 then oswalt will be retired hopefully :)

didnt think ya'll guys were taking it so literal.....was just playing the other side

Guess what the faces mean..for future reference they mean i am messing around and joking around.......

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you thought Bowden was trying to rake us over the coals

St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller, OF Jon Jay and 3B Zack Cox to the Baltimore Orioles for CF Adam Jones.

How was this guy ever allowed to be a ML GM??

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you thought Bowden was trying to rake us over the coals

St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller, OF Jon Jay and 3B Zack Cox to the Baltimore Orioles for CF Adam Jones.

How was this guy ever allowed to be a ML GM??

where did you hear this one? i can't find it anywhere