• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8:59pm: Nationals GM Mike Rizzo told Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio (Twitter link) that he didn't make a six-year offer to Wilson. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post talked to three Nats sources who said the same thing

Are the marlins slinging that kind of money still? The cubs have that kind of money to spend. Surely Daniels and company aren't going all in already.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So maybe this was more fluff from Garber? Seems like he has been trying to do his best Boras/Rosenhouse (spelling?) impressions through this whole process.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe this was more fluff from Garber? Seems like he has been trying to do his best Boras/Rosenhouse (spelling?) impressions through this whole process.

That's a hell of a whopper to throw out there and hope you get a bite if so.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like everybody's ready to deal Harrison and write him off, completely disregarding that he won 14 games with an ERA of 3.39 in his first full year as a starter. That's better than Buehrle has done since 2005. Mark would arguably be the weakest pitcher in our rotation.

We've both been saying this since Day 1. Buehrle is a very good pitcher and he'd do a great job as a Ranger but the guys the Rangers actually have are pretty damned good. Many Ranger fans just do not realize how good the Ranger pitchers actually are.

Lots of people, including the DFW sports media think that Buehrle would be the #1 here. I don't see it that way though he has pitched in an absolute band box. I don't see him as better than Holland, Harrison, or Ogando and if Feliz really is as advertised then certainly not him either. To upgrade, and it is an upgrade business, the Rangers need a bona fide #1. Someone who can, by sheer will, completely dominate an opponent.

elziegreat42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
12:32am: The Angels' pursuit of Wilson "continues in earnest," tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. USA Today's Bob Nightengale adds (via Twitter) that the Halos have emerged as the "favorite" for Wilson.

uh oh

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:32am: The Angels' pursuit of Wilson "continues in earnest," tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. USA Today's Bob Nightengale adds (via Twitter) that the Halos have emerged as the "favorite" for Wilson.

uh oh

No way would they be able to offer him a big 6 yr deal. If so that's got to be all they can do right now. My guess is they're just trying to screw with Texas.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Oliver "appears to be headed back" to the Rangers, tweets Jon Heyman of the MLB Network. Heyman says the Red Sox are also in the mix for the left-hander, but "Dallas is home."

Earlier tonight, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan wrote that the Rangers were in search of left-handed relief, and general manager Jon Daniels' preference was to fill that role with Oliver. The 40-year-old Oliver has spent the last two seasons with Texas, posting a combined 2.40 ERA in 112 2/3 innings with a strong 8.7 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've both been saying this since Day 1. Buehrle is a very good pitcher and he'd do a great job as a Ranger but the guys the Rangers actually have are pretty damned good. Many Ranger fans just do not realize how good the Ranger pitchers actually are.

Lots of people, including the DFW sports media think that Buehrle would be the #1 here. I don't see it that way though he has pitched in an absolute band box. I don't see him as better than Holland, Harrison, or Ogando and if Feliz really is as advertised then certainly not him either. To upgrade, and it is an upgrade business, the Rangers need a bona fide #1. Someone who can, by sheer will, completely dominate an opponent.

The key word here may be replacement. If CJ doesn't come back then Buehrle would a pretty good replacement at a cheaper price and possibly fill a rotation spot till the studs at A and AA ball mature. I think all things even we'd rather have CJ back.
It's time for Holland and Ogando to learn the sheer will concept of pitching... if Mike Maddux is capable of teaching it.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
· Sullivan adds that the Rangers “have had preliminary conversations with some of their players about multi-year contracts,” and that “Josh Hamilton, Mike Napoli, and Colby Lewis, who can all be free agents after next season, are likely top priorities.”

For all those thinking Colby would be the one traded....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
· Sullivan adds that the Rangers “have had preliminary conversations with some of their players about multi-year contracts,” and that “Josh Hamilton, Mike Napoli, and Colby Lewis, who can all be free agents after next season, are likely top priorities.”

For all those thinking Colby would be the one traded....

Wonder if Feldman is a trade piece.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami offers Pooholes a 10 year deal...Pooholes going back to talk to STL today

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key word here may be replacement. If CJ doesn't come back then Buehrle would a pretty good replacement at a cheaper price and possibly fill a rotation spot till the studs at A and AA ball mature. I think all things even we'd rather have CJ back.
It's time for Holland and Ogando to learn the sheer will concept of pitching... if Mike Maddux is capable of teaching it.

Well, you've got to think that everyone in the game thinks Maddux is more than capable, hence his pay, his status, his reputation and the fact that he is now interviewing for manager jobs.

Also, Buehrle would not be a stop gap pitcher. He is a horse and has had a very, very effective career and pitching in Chicago since they built that stadium has been no easy task. If the Rangers sign him it is with the idea that he is a big part of their rotation for the next 3 or 4 years, maybe longer. Buehrle seems to me like a guy that can excel into his 40's. He'd be good for the Rangers. No doubt about that in my mind. I just have my doubts that he would be better than any of the 6 possible starters already on staff.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you've got to think that everyone in the game thinks Maddux is more than capable, hence his pay, his status, his reputation and the fact that he is now interviewing for manager jobs.

Also, Buehrle would not be a stop gap pitcher. He is a horse and has had a very, very effective career and pitching in Chicago since they built that stadium has been no easy task. If the Rangers sign him it is with the idea that he is a big part of their rotation for the next 3 or 4 years, maybe longer. Buehrle seems to me like a guy that can excel into his 40's. He'd be good for the Rangers. No doubt about that in my mind. I just have my doubts that he would be better than any of the 6 possible starters already on staff.

Exactly...our 3 young starters are all better, and you dont give him a spot over Nefty. So the only one you could maybe put him over is Colby...but hes not significantly better that it would warrant paying him a lot more. Plus Colby is better in October.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...our 3 young starters are all better, and you dont give him a spot over Nefty. So the only one you could maybe put him over is Colby...but hes not significantly better that it would warrant paying him a lot more. Plus Colby is better in October.

I disagree. You need a horse like Buehrle to stabilize the rotation. The overall talent level is definitely higher, but the maturity and experience is not with the exception of maybe Colby. You want an entire rotation of raw talent and hope? That's fine, but I don't want to hear any bitching when things start getting rocky as they start hitting growing pains. I like the idea of picking up Buehrle for that reason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. You need a horse like Buehrle to stabilize the rotation. The overall talent level is definitely higher, but the maturity and experience is not with the exception of maybe Colby. You want an entire rotation of raw talent and hope? That's fine, but I don't want to hear any bitching when things start getting rocky as they start hitting growing pains. I like the idea of picking up Buehrle for that reason.

It's not like were talking about prospects here. These guys all had great years and have pitched in the WS two years straight. I think experience and maturity is no longer an argument.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would probably be equal to Colby and Harrison.
12 million+ per year is not exactly what I was calling stop gap but, he's 32 and would be 34-36 when the young guns become of age so if they sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract and got 2 or 3 years out him I'd be OK with that. Projecting a 32 year old to pitch into his mid to late 30's is risky. Projecting a 32 year old that gives up more hits than innings pitched to pitch into his 40's is pretty sketchy.
To be truthful, I'm not going to lose any sleep if they don't sign him or CJ.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami offers Pooholes a 10 year deal...Pooholes going back to talk to STL today

Just think, it wasn't that long ago that these guys were playing in front of sparce crowds and living off luxury tax money. Maybe taxing the rich is the way to go after all. :think:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like were talking about prospects here. These guys all had great years and have pitched in the WS two years straight. I think experience and maturity is no longer an argument.

Harrison still proved to be mentally fragile on occasion. I expect him to be great this year, but no one knows. I expect ogando to be great. Again he's still new. I just like having someone like Buehrle in there to provide some stability.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not buying the Angels as the favorite for CJ. Not buying the 6 year offer either. I'd expect the Rangers wouldn't even be talking to CJ if the 6 year offer was legit.

I would feel very nervous going into the year without CJ or Buehrle onboard. Yes the Rangers had great years from Harrison, Holland and Ogando, but they all stayed healthy and Holland and Ogando lost steam at the end of the year. Feliz being a first year starter is also very iffy. Put CJ or Buehrle at the top of the rotation and let those 4 duke it out for the last three spots. Put the loser in as the long reliever/spot starter (unless it's Feliz, then he goes to AAA) and you're set.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not buying the Angels as the favorite for CJ. Not buying the 6 year offer either. I'd expect the Rangers wouldn't even be talking to CJ if the 6 year offer was legit.

I would feel very nervous going into the year without CJ or Buehrle onboard. Yes the Rangers had great years from Harrison, Holland and Ogando, but they all stayed healthy and Holland and Ogando lost steam at the end of the year. Feliz being a first year starter is also very iffy. Put CJ or Buehrle at the top of the rotation and let those 4 duke it out for the last three spots. Put the loser in as the long reliever/spot starter (unless it's Feliz, then he goes to AAA) and you're set.

Hard to believe that it was just season before last that TEX planned to open with Rich Harden ... former CHC #5 ... as its #1. Seems like that was a decade ago.