• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday Night Football: Last MNF game of 2022 Season, Bills @ Bengals, Jan. 2, 8:30 PM ET

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You effectively changed the rules regarding the standings and win %. You can't really say that's fair when the Chiefs did nothing. That was the players and coaches deciding not to play in Cincinnati last night. I don't know how you can really punish the Chiefs for that one and give "credit" for something that hasn't happened.

By rule, the Chiefs were technically the 1 seed at the time of the game being played. Why should they be the 2 seed now? The Bills didn't win. And if anyone is at risk of being awarded a loss without a game being concluded, it's the Bills.

Your beef should be with the NFL, not the Chiefs holding the 1 seed as of this second.
They were not the one seed because that’s based on an incomplete week of standings. This is obviously a special circumstance. Pigeon holing a potential fix because it violates the math is a foolish consistency that shouldn’t matter. The only equitable thing to do is to make last night a non contest and have the standings going into week 17 remain unchanged going into this final week.

Last edited:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I inferred nothing of the sort. You read what you wanted to read. Read it again.
You said:

It's a case of first impression. They should not have been expected to have a contingency plan in place for scenario that had never happened or crossed their desk before

While I agree that the playoff part wasn't a part of the original 1971 event - the fact is, a player died - and it's not an illogical jump to think "Man, what if something like this happens again, and we can't finish the game? Maybe we should have something in place."

That is the entire point of risk management and contingency plans - it's the very definition: a plan designed to take a possible future event or circumstance into account.

So, yes - you inferred that nothing like this has ever happened, and it has...a player died. And while they did complete that game, it's not illogical to think to have a plan in place going forward after that event in a scenario where the game is not completed.....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a distinct possibility that the Chiefs will get the bye and home field throughout the playoffs because of a one-of-a-kind injury in a Bills-Bengals game with no winner. Crazy.

They should have no problem with the Raiders. Of course, they shouldn't have had problems with the Texans and Broncos either.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry it was the only comeback I had about Pennsylvania off the top of my head when Ohio was called the bowel of America.

Pretty sure the shape of our state, the geographical location, and the outpouring display of empathy and affection last night showed that Ohio is the HEART of America.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am obviously not part of the team, but I am a fan. I assume you use WE when referring to the Eagles from time to time. As I have something invested in this team, even though it is not my body. I am suggesting the best scenario to make it fair. May destroy the Bengals and Bills seasons, but it is what it is if this game is being considered not being made up.
Nope. I never do that. I have too much respect for what they do. I only coached high school ball for 12 years so not a high level of football at all. At the same time, when you consider all the film, game prep, scouting, weight room, practice, etc…it’s a 30-35 hour a week commitment. I have too much respect for the work and the sacrifice to ever do the We shit. I’m especially not making stuff a “we” thing after watching a player nearly die on the field of play.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry it was the only comeback I had about Pennsylvania off the top of my head when Ohio was called the bowel of America.

Pretty sure the shape of our state, the geographical location, and the outpouring display of empathy and affection last night showed that Ohio is the HEART of America.

No biggie, I just love Mel Brooks.....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but a KC win next week negates that anyway....KC controls their own destiny regardless of the outcome to this game.

Not true. Buffalo had the one seed entering the week. Had the game been played without the unfortunate events last night ending in a Buffalo victory, all they would've needed is a win over the Pats to keep the #1 seed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Buffalo had the one seed entering the week. Had the game been played without the unfortunate events last night ending in a Buffalo victory, all they would've needed is a win over the Pats to keep the #1 seed.
Yeah, already corrected myself in another post...I thought KC has 1 more game up....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I never do that. I have too much respect for what they do. I only coached high school ball for 12 years so not a high level of football at all. At the same time, when you consider all the film, game prep, scouting, weight room, practice, etc…it’s a 30-35 hour a week commitment. I have too much respect for the work and the sacrifice to ever do the We shit. I’m especially not making stuff a “we” thing after watching a player nearly die on the field of play.
Fair enough. But I will continue to rep my team and stand up for them. So while I don't have physical skin the game, I have emotional skin and time invested. You do what you want, I don't fault you for it and think your stance is admirable, but I will do what I want, with no false notion that I have the same skin in the game as the players do and what they are potentially sacrificing for millions, some times hundreds of millions of dollars thanks to the fans like me. But I do care about the players, from all the teams, as I am not without humanity and want to see the best for all people

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or how about the 49ers who are trying to get that #1 seed in the NFC?

Would that game against Carolina and Tampa Bay of meant anything if it doesn't get played this last weekend? Does that game the Jags have against the Titans not mean anything to Tennessee where they can just say, lets end the season now, no need to play a 17th game.

Your response is f'n laughable, but as long as it doesn't concern your fucking team, who the F cares, right?

Stuff happens. Life isn't fair. But the NFL won't intentionally make it even less fair by awarding a win to a team that did not win and a loss to a team that did not lose. That's just a ludicrous suggestion.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But I will continue to rep my team and stand up for them. So while I don't have physical skin the game, I have emotional skin and time invested. You do what you want, I don't fault you for it and think your stance is admirable, but I will do what I want, with no false notion that I have the same skin in the game as the players do and what they are potentially sacrificing for millions, some times hundreds of millions of dollars thanks to the fans like me. But I do care about the players, from all the teams, as I am not without humanity and want to see the best for all people
Without the fans, teams don't exist. So, while I agree in so much that I try to refrain from the term "we" when talking about teams I follow - fans absolutely have an investment in their teams and those investments have helped to make what sports are today.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said:

It's a case of first impression. They should not have been expected to have a contingency plan in place for scenario that had never happened or crossed their desk before

While I agree that the playoff part wasn't a part of the original 1971 event - the fact is, a player died - and it's not an illogical jump to think "Man, what if something like this happens again, and we can't finish the game? Maybe we should have something in place."

That is the entire point of risk management and contingency plans - it's the very definition: a plan designed to take a possible future event or circumstance into account.

So, yes - you inferred that nothing like this has ever happened, and it has...a player died. And while they did complete that game, it's not illogical to think to have a plan in place going forward after that event in a scenario where the game is not completed.....

Look, I've been following football for nearly 40 years. I know full well that there have been a number of scary life-threatening/altering injuries sustained through the years.

Read my posts again. In full. This is the first time teams declined to continue playing. Hence, it's a case of first impression.

I don't disagree with everything you're saying, by the way, but there is no simple answer in this scenario. Even to figure out in advance.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were not the one seed because that’s based on an incomplete week of standings. This is obviously a special circumstance. Pigeon holing a potential fix because it violates the math is a foolish consistency that shouldn’t matter. The only equitable thing to do is to make last night a non contest and have the standings going into week 17 remain unchanged going into this final week.
I struggle to see why the language of the rules would use "win percentage" if they weren't prepared to use it in odd circumstances where an unequal number of games are played. This is also partially why the NFL tried so hard to jam COVID games in. They didn't want to open Pandora's Box on this.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff happens.. disregarding it beats awarding a win to a team that didn't win the game and a loss to a team that didn't lose it.

Stuff happens. Life isn't fair. But the NFL won't intentionally make it even less fair by awarding a win to a team that did not win and a loss to a team that did not lose. That's just a ludicrous suggestion.
I don't disagree, but your argument can swing the other way...stuff happens and life isn't fair - Buff shouldn't have fallen behind 7-3 and given up a TD on the opening drive....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff happens.. disregarding it beats awarding a win to a team that didn't win the game and a loss to a team that didn't lose it.

So play the fn game. Do what you have to in the schedule to make it happen.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I struggle to see why the language of the rules would use "win percentage" if they weren't prepared to use it in odd circumstances where an unequal number go games are played. This is also partially why the NFL tried so hard to jam COVID games in. They didn't want to open Pandora's Box on this.
You don’t have to open Pandora’s Box. You make the most equitable outcome based decision now and then at the off season owners meetings they put a plan in place for a similar circumstance should it arise again.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but your argument can swing the other way...stuff happens and life isn't fair - Buff shouldn't have fallen behind 7-3 and given up a TD on the opening drive....
Dude…