• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So not making the playoffs is not big deal at all if the team is not expected to get past the first or 2nd round?
You are seriously glossing over very important tiers of success that exist in a professional sports organisation.

Lebron should have got you to the next tier. It was a complete failure on his end.

It's not a complete failure when your team understands the process. You conveniently ignored the injury issue, lol. Missing the finals will always seem a failure to Lebron, but he understands where this franchise is at and that this year was merely a stepping stone to the next.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said all along that the Pels may regret waiting for the summer and a big offer from the Celtics that may not be near what the Pels think it will be.

It'll be a tough decision for the Celtics, imo. AD is a great player, but when you consider what they will likely have to give up to get him, as shopson pointed out, they would create more holes to fill 1 hole.

Also, while he may not necessarily be injury prone, he does tend to miss games and could be a 1 year rental. From that perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Having said that, he's also really, really good and can cover some of the holes created by getting him.

I think it will hinge on whether or not he will sign an extension. If he will, I think the Celtics trade for him. If not, they won't.

If Kyrie is gone, who is he signing an extension to play with? The key young players and picks would be going to New Orleans.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So not making the playoffs is not big deal at all if the team is not expected to get past the first or 2nd round?
You are seriously glossing over very important tiers of success that exist in a professional sports organisation.

And you are seriously glossing over the injuries that cost this team their shot at the playoffs.

They lost Lebron for 18 games and he still wasn't 100% when he got back. They lost Rondo for 17 games. They lost Ingram and Lonzo for 30 games each. They lost Kuzma for about 8 games and Josh Hart was playing on 1 leg from the all star break on.

While making the playoffs was the expectation before the season, a team that was considered a 1st or 2nd round exit at best losing that many key players for that many games, isn't making the playoffs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kyrie is gone, who is he signing an extension to play with? The key young players and picks would be going to New Orleans.

Not sure what the question is. I think AD would have to agree to an extension with the Celtics (or maybe a sign and trade). I don't see the Celtics doing the trade if AD isn't willing to do that.

The Celtics also have a lot of draft picks. So it may be a "pick heavy deal" on the Celtics end since the Pels would be rebuilding.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said all along that the Pels may regret waiting for the summer and a big offer from the Celtics that may not be near what the Pels think it will be.

It'll be a tough decision for the Celtics, imo. AD is a great player, but when you consider what they will likely have to give up to get him, as shopson pointed out, they would create more holes to fill 1 hole.

Also, while he may not necessarily be injury prone, he does tend to miss games and could be a 1 year rental. From that perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Having said that, he's also really, really good and can cover some of the holes created by getting him.

I think it will hinge on whether or not he will sign an extension. If he will, I think the Celtics trade for him. If not, they won't.

The only way I'd want AD in Boston is if he guarantees to sign a long term contract. It's gonna take a lot to get him. And it wouldn't be worth it to the Celtics for a 1 year rental. I say that because I think he's on the last year of his contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the question is. I think AD would have to agree to an extension with the Celtics (or maybe a sign and trade). I don't see the Celtics doing the trade if AD isn't willing to do that.

Sure, but if Kyrie is gone (and all indications seem to be that he is), there really isn't any discussion about AD signing an extension there, as there isn't much of anyone left to come play with. He's pretty much indicated he won't sign one anywhere regardless, looking to free agency the following summer.

Should be an interesting summer for sure....

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a complete failure when your team understands the process. You conveniently ignored the injury issue, lol. Missing the finals will always seem a failure to Lebron, but he understands where this franchise is at and that this year was merely a stepping stone to the next.

If you call yourself the King, At the end of the season your team can't be standing on the same stone they were on before you got there.

If you call yourself the King ...60 games is more than enough for you to get this team into the playoffs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but if Kyrie is gone (and all indications seem to be that he is), there really isn't any discussion about AD signing an extension there, as there isn't much of anyone left to come play with. He's pretty much indicated he won't sign one anywhere regardless, looking to free agency the following summer.

Should be an interesting summer for sure....

The Celtics have a lot of talent outside of Kyrie. They could give up a couple of guys to get him and still have a lot of good young talent to put around him, especially if they send a pick heavy package that includes Tatum.

Apparently Griffin has reached out to AD and Rich Paul re: him staying in Nawlins' and AD and Rich Paul apparently liked what he had to say.

Could be nothing more than Griffin doing what he has to do and AD saying what he has to say. But, it could also be a real thing. The Pels certainly don't have to trade him this off-season. So maybe Griffin tries to make some moves geared towards keeping him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you call yourself the King, At the end of the season your team can't be standing on the same stone they were on before you got there.

If you call yourself the King ...60 games is more than enough for you to get this team into the playoffs.

Not in the West

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics have a lot of talent outside of Kyrie. They could give up a couple of guys to get him and still have a lot of good young talent to put around him, especially if they send a pick heavy package that includes Tatum.

Apparently Griffin has reached out to AD and Rich Paul re: him staying in Nawlins' and AD and Rich Paul apparently liked what he had to say.

Could be nothing more than Griffin doing what he has to do and AD saying what he has to say. But, it could also be a real thing. The Pels certainly don't have to trade him this off-season. So maybe Griffin tries to make some moves geared towards keeping him?

If Boston wasn't one of his original preferred destinations, playing with Rozier, Hayward, and Horford isn't going to be a big draw.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you are seriously glossing over the injuries that cost this team their shot at the playoffs.

They lost Lebron for 18 games and he still wasn't 100% when he got back. They lost Rondo for 17 games. They lost Ingram and Lonzo for 30 games each. They lost Kuzma for about 8 games and Josh Hart was playing on 1 leg from the all star break on.

While making the playoffs was the expectation before the season, a team that was considered a 1st or 2nd round exit at best losing that many key players for that many games, isn't making the playoffs.

It's Lebron. He should have easily overcome all of that.

Not only did he not ..he also undermined and imploded the entire organisation from the inside.
And not an ounce of respect did he show Magic. Yea, bad move by Magic walking out the way he did.

But we all know one way or another Lebron was behind it.

I always liked the Lakers, and I knew all the blame for any failures would fall on everyone but Lebron.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not only did he not ..he also undermined and imploded the entire organisation from the inside.
And not an ounce of respect did he show Magic. Yea, bad move by Magic walking out the way he did.

I always liked the Lakers, and I knew all the blame for any failures would fall on everyone but Lebron.

There is no blame to place IMO. Injuries happen, on to next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This sentence alone makes the rest of your post not worth reading. No one is overcoming that many injuries to that many key players.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is some funny stuff. So it's LeBron's fault for all the injuries that got the Lakers this year?
LeBron was behind Magic quitting on the Lakers?:pound:Can you post any proof of what you've suggested? I don't think you can.

And while the whole AD thing was a disaster how is the front office (Jeanie Buss & Pelinka) not at fault? They knew what was going on & did nothing to stop it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while the whole AD thing was a disaster how is the front office (Jeanie Buss & Pelinka) not at fault? They knew what was going on & did nothing to stop it.

In the AD situation, 1 of 2 things happened, imo.

Either Lebron and Rich Paul "went rogue" and decided they were going to put together the trade for AD, made it public and when things started going sideways, were too inexperienced to know how to stop it and pull it back.

Or

They were involved in it from the start and also thought that going public was the right move.

Until I hear something different, the former seems the more likely option.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is some funny stuff. So it's LeBron's fault for all the injuries that got the Lakers this year?
LeBron was behind Magic quitting on the Lakers?:pound:Can you post any proof of what you've suggested? I don't think you can.

Magic's departure really has no impact at this point. He's still going to help recruit this summer if needed without the limitations of tampering rules and such, he's just not an official part of the team now. Lakers will likely be better off with a president with more experience (provided they hire one, of course).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the AD situation, 1 of 2 things happened, imo.

Either Lebron and Rich Paul "went rogue" and decided they were going to put together the trade for AD, made it public and when things started going sideways, were too inexperienced to know how to stop it and pull it back.

Or

They were involved in it from the start and also thought that going public was the right move.

Until I hear something different, the former seems the more likely option.

I just can't believe that LeBron & Klutch are 100% responsible for the AD mess. But if that is the case that makes Jeanie Buss & Pelinka look very bad. They are supposed to be running the organization, not LeBron.

No doubt though all the AD talk messed up the chemistry of the team. And major roster changes have to be made in the off season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic's departure really has no impact at this point. He's still going to help recruit this summer if needed without the limitations of tampering rules and such, he's just not an official part of the team now. Lakers will likely be better off with a president with more experience (provided they hire one, of course).

I've always been a Magic fan but was disappointed how he quit on the organization. I think it's a bad look for him. And he didn't help himself by saying- 'I want to go back to having fun'. He basically said when things get tough it's easier to quit.

Although in the long run I think it's better that Magic stepped down. And whoever replaces him should have much more front office expierence than what Magic had.

Just to throw a name out there how about Sam Presti?:noidea:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been a Magic fan but was disappointed how he quit on the organization. I think it's a bad look for him. And he didn't help himself by saying- 'I want to go back to having fun'. He basically said when things get tough it's easier to quit.

Although in the long run I think it's better that Magic stepped down. And whoever replaces him should have much more front office expierence than what Magic had.

Just to throw a name out there how about Sam Presti?:noidea:

There was a rumor that whomever the Lakers had lined up for the position had his team still in the playoffs. Not sure if that's still true, was ever true, etc. Another rumor had Masai Ujiri as a possibility.

As far as Magic goes, he's my favorite player of all time and was the reason I became a Laker fan (and started watching the NBA) back in my childhood. That said, after his flameout as a coach, I wasn't holding a lot of hope or expectations for a long run in this role either. I'm just glad his departure wasn't for health reasons or something of a more personal nature. His explanation made perfect sense to me, and when his timing (other than being just before game time) in terms of the overall season wasn't problematic IMO. He's always been a guy to get out of a bad situation as quickly as possible, whether coaching, this role, or in the business sector.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a rumor that whomever the Lakers had lined up for the position had his team still in the playoffs. Not sure if that's still true, was ever true, etc. Another rumor had Masai Ujiri as a possibility.

As far as Magic goes, he's my favorite player of all time and was the reason I became a Laker fan (and started watching the NBA) back in my childhood. That said, after his flameout as a coach, I wasn't holding a lot of hope or expectations for a long run in this role either. I'm just glad his departure wasn't for health reasons or something of a more personal nature. His explanation made perfect sense to me, and when his timing (other than being just before game time) in terms of the overall season wasn't problematic IMO. He's always been a guy to get out of a bad situation as quickly as possible, whether coaching, this role, or in the business sector.

I agree that it's a good thing Magic's departure wasn't health related.