• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Magic fan, a sudden press conference is a scary announcement.

No doubt about that. I can still remember his press conference when he had to retire from the league. Even as a Celtics fan I went numb. That was a sad day for the NBA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't believe that LeBron & Klutch are 100% responsible for the AD mess. But if that is the case that makes Jeanie Buss & Pelinka look very bad. They are supposed to be running the organization, not LeBron.

That's what I mean about their inexperience. When Jeanie kicked Short Buss to the curb, I was hoping that she would at least keep Mitch around in an advisory role.

I think that when Lebron got hurt and the team started struggling. Lebron and Klutch panicked. Since Klutch represents AD, them telling the Pels that AD isn't coming back and requesting a trade, wouldn't be that unusual. Had it just stayed at that level, I don't think it blows up and AD may very well already be a Laker.

But, they made the trade demand public and basically tried to bully the Pels which just pissed them off.

I think that they were just too inexperienced to get things back under control when they started going sideways.

That, or they were also convinced that they could bully the Pels into giving them AD.

Either way, I don't think it's 100% on Lebron and Klutch, but I think the larger share of the blame goes to them. I think if Mitch were still there, the demand either doesn't go public or he knows how to get it back under control if it does.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I mean about their inexperience. When Jeanie kicked Short Buss to the curb, I was hoping that she would at least keep Mitch around in an advisory role.

I think that when Lebron got hurt and the team started struggling. Lebron and Klutch panicked. Since Klutch represents AD, them telling the Pels that AD isn't coming back and requesting a trade, wouldn't be that unusual. Had it just stayed at that level, I don't think it blows up and AD may very well already be a Laker.

But, they made the trade demand public and basically tried to bully the Pels which just pissed them off.

I think that they were just too inexperienced to get things back under control when they started going sideways.

That, or they were also convinced that they could bully the Pels into giving them AD.

Either way, I don't think it's 100% on Lebron and Klutch, but I think the larger share of the blame goes to them. I think if Mitch were still there, the demand either doesn't go public or he knows how to get it back under control if it does.

The 1st thing that should happen is Klutch Sports not get involved @ all next season. And it's crap like this why so many dislike LeBron.

Somebody got all this AD talk started. LeBron's ego w/ basketball related things only is bigger than the state of California. So I can't put it past him to tell Klutch to get the AD talk out there.

Bad look for Jeanie Buss & Pelinka because of how it was handled. But nothing that can't be corrected. Getting a GM w/ previous experience I think is a must in the off season. Was talking about that w/ a different Lakers fan this morning. And never let a fiasco like this happen again to the organiztion.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are reportedly in the process of hiring former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue to replace the fired Luke Walton. Contractual parameters are being sorted out, according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. Lue’s hiring would come with the blessing of LeBron James, who of course won a championship playing for Lue in 2016, and also utterly controls the outlook of the Lakers organization over the next decade.

Holding aside however you might feel about the sagacity, purely as a basketball matter, of selecting Lue as their next head coach, something needs to be said about the Lakers’ process for vetting and selecting and hiring coaching candidates. The Lakers had reportedly settled on Lue and Monty Williams as finalists for their open position, but according to Marc Stein of the New York Times, decision-makers within the organization were divided between the two, with some worrying “that hiring LeBron’s former Cleveland Cavaliers coach would be giving James too much control in Lakerland.”
ad

That’s a reasonable concern. Holding aside, again, however you might feel about the sagacity of picking out Monty Williams and Tyronn Lue as the finalists for the head coaching job of a team that aspires beyond mediocrity, it’s reasonable to worry that the wholesale remaking of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball operation into a reassembled Cleveland Cavaliers outfit might send the wrong message about who exactly runs the show. It’s reasonable to view that potential conflict as a mark against Lue, if not exactly a mark in Williams’s favor. Then again, if Lue is the right man for the job [snort], maybe the right thing to do is to can the image concerns and pull the trigger.

At any rate, that’s a nuanced challenge in search of a nuanced solution. Here’s how the Lakers solved it, per Stein:

Lue’s supporters within the organization ultimately deduced that there was only one way Lue could rise to the level of unanimous choice to succeed Walton—by waiting until Williams was no longer available.

So. The Los Angeles Lakers, one of the most important franchises in professional sports, resolved their coaching search by waiting for the Phoenix Suns to hire one of their finalists, in order to back their way into unanimity for a head coach who was recently fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers. But before you pull your own head off and punt it into a wood chipper, know that the process was reportedly influenced by a man who was shit-canned for incompetence by the New York Knicks:

Kurt Rambis — a former Lakers player and coach whose wife, Linda, is a trusted confidant and adviser to team owner Jeanie Buss — has had a significant role in the hiring process, sources said.

The Lakers are in great shape. Things are great.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are reportedly in the process of hiring former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue to replace the fired Luke Walton. Contractual parameters are being sorted out, according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. Lue’s hiring would come with the blessing of LeBron James, who of course won a championship playing for Lue in 2016, and also utterly controls the outlook of the Lakers organization over the next decade.

Holding aside however you might feel about the sagacity, purely as a basketball matter, of selecting Lue as their next head coach, something needs to be said about the Lakers’ process for vetting and selecting and hiring coaching candidates. The Lakers had reportedly settled on Lue and Monty Williams as finalists for their open position, but according to Marc Stein of the New York Times, decision-makers within the organization were divided between the two, with some worrying “that hiring LeBron’s former Cleveland Cavaliers coach would be giving James too much control in Lakerland.”
ad

That’s a reasonable concern. Holding aside, again, however you might feel about the sagacity of picking out Monty Williams and Tyronn Lue as the finalists for the head coaching job of a team that aspires beyond mediocrity, it’s reasonable to worry that the wholesale remaking of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball operation into a reassembled Cleveland Cavaliers outfit might send the wrong message about who exactly runs the show. It’s reasonable to view that potential conflict as a mark against Lue, if not exactly a mark in Williams’s favor. Then again, if Lue is the right man for the job [snort], maybe the right thing to do is to can the image concerns and pull the trigger.

At any rate, that’s a nuanced challenge in search of a nuanced solution. Here’s how the Lakers solved it, per Stein:

Lue’s supporters within the organization ultimately deduced that there was only one way Lue could rise to the level of unanimous choice to succeed Walton—by waiting until Williams was no longer available.

So. The Los Angeles Lakers, one of the most important franchises in professional sports, resolved their coaching search by waiting for the Phoenix Suns to hire one of their finalists, in order to back their way into unanimity for a head coach who was recently fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers. But before you pull your own head off and punt it into a wood chipper, know that the process was reportedly influenced by a man who was shit-canned for incompetence by the New York Knicks:

Kurt Rambis — a former Lakers player and coach whose wife, Linda, is a trusted confidant and adviser to team owner Jeanie Buss — has had a significant role in the hiring process, sources said.

The Lakers are in great shape. Things are great.

To sum up...

Lakers interviewed some candidates for their open head coaching position, with the front runner assumed to be Tyronn Lue even before Walton was fired (and expected ever since Lebron was signed). Lakers are working up a contract offer for Lue. The end.

The rest? Opinion based haterific bullshit.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please stop the Cleveland Curse... :L

Technically the Cleveland Curse was ended in 2016 when you know who led the Cavs to the greatest Finals comeback in history.:heh:

How you doing?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not allowing a coach to choose his assistants will likely end negotiations lol

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,386,359.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are a disaster, they can't even procure the services of a mediocre coach.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently the Lakers insisted on Lue hiring Kidd as an assistant. Why? Because they were only hiring Lue to make LeBron happy, but they really wanted Kidd in case LeBron left or retired or whatever. They also wanted him for 3 years (LeBron's remaining contract) and Lue sensibly wanted 5.

Good for him to walk away.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently the Lakers insisted on Lue hiring Kidd as an assistant. Why? Because they were only hiring Lue to make LeBron happy, but they really wanted Kidd in case LeBron left or retired or whatever. They also wanted him for 3 years (LeBron's remaining contract) and Lue sensibly wanted 5.

Good for him to walk away.

Very interesting.

And I officially and unreservedly apologize to Tyronne Lue who appears to have more balls than I gave him credit for.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very smart for Lue to walk away, who else is going to hire that fool?