• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2017-2018 Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Icon inherited a Lakers Team that was built through the draft by other people. Did you forget all that TJF12? Geez dude.

Which he got rid of much of to bring in Shaq and Kobe. Did you forget that? Geez dude. How is this different?

but if it doesn't then I suppose I'll come knocking at your door.

You'll be greeted with a beer. If you don't want to share a few beers, you should know my son is 6'5", a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and loves his Dad. :suds:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they won't win a championship this year or next.

Not necessarily true. Since PG and Lebron are the most rumored players, let's use them.

Let's say PG comes to the Lakers by himself (he's the only FA, imo, that might even remotely consider it)...that makes the Lakers a playoff team.

Now, let's say Lebron decides to come along too (he isn't coming by himself) you now have a contender. Especially if they are smart in landing a couple of solid vets.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said it was a bad deal. I said it had to be moved if they wanted to clear the cap space they need to land 2 max FA's. Also said that his skill set is easily replaced. Which it is and already has been.

I disagree. The Lakers have been trying for months to move Clarkson and they've been getting lowballed. They finally got a deal that works for them.

I really don't understand some of you acting like it's the end of the world and that the Lakers made a huge blunder.

They didn't trade Lonzo, Ingram or Kuzma. They still have Randle, they still have a better version of Clarkson in Hart. They still have a better version of Nance in Kuzma and they now have cap space to go after 2 max players and if they can tie Deng to the first round pick, it will open up cap space for another near max player.

Why are some of you acting like they just broke up the Showtime Lakers in their prime?

You guys realize that Short Buss isn't running things anymore, right?

Clarkson was ALWAYS going to be traded and either Nance or Randle was going to either be traded or allowed to walk with nothing coming back. There was literally zero point in delaying the inevitable.

The answer TJF12 is in the bold. The Lakers have stuck in their heads that they need two max players to become championship level when they could of went the rest of the season to see if the team chemistry that was building to possibly lead to a playoff level team and maybe a championship caliber team. Buying two max players does not necessarily make you better to win a championship.

I just wanted the Lakers to wait and see what developed but you may be right in that the number of deals that may be there after waiting might be zero and then they'd be stuck.

You are too funny TJF12. I'll forgo the beer and you can bring your son. I'll bring my 50 cal Taurus and we'll see who walks away on both counts. :lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Kobe was a draftee by Charlotte. Shaq was a FA. So you are half right. lol!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer TJF12 is in the bold. The Lakers have stuck in their heads that they need two max players to become championship level when they could of went the rest of the season to see if the team chemistry that was building to possibly lead to a playoff level team and maybe a championship caliber team. Buying two max players does not necessarily make you better to win a championship.

I just wanted the Lakers to wait and see what developed but you may be right in that the number of deals that may be there after waiting might be zero and then they'd be stuck.

You are too funny TJF12. I'll forgo the beer and you can bring your son. I'll bring my 50 cal Taurus and we'll see who walks away on both counts. :lol:
There is nothing wrong with some fans wanting the Lakers to wait and see what develops in the offsesson. I was surprised by the move, but have confidence in this management team.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe IT will play himself into a starting rotation position of which the Lakers have planned for him and will want sign him to a new deal. So, yea, the Lakers got a lot more than a first rounder and cap space even though those two things alone made the deal better.

IT will start-off coming off the bench and then the Lakers will watch what develops to dictate how they proceed at the end of the season, I suppose.

Isaiah Thomas to reportedly come off bench in Lakers debut; could vie for starting role

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said it was a bad deal. I said it had to be moved if they wanted to clear the cap space they need to land 2 max FA's. Also said that his skill set is easily replaced. Which it is and already has been.

I disagree. The Lakers have been trying for months to move Clarkson and they've been getting lowballed. They finally got a deal that works for them.

I really don't understand some of you acting like it's the end of the world and that the Lakers made a huge blunder.

They didn't trade Lonzo, Ingram or Kuzma. They still have Randle, they still have a better version of Clarkson in Hart. They still have a better version of Nance in Kuzma and they now have cap space to go after 2 max players and if they can tie Deng to the first round pick, it will open up cap space for another near max player.

Why are some of you acting like they just broke up the Showtime Lakers in their prime?

You guys realize that Short Buss isn't running things anymore, right?

Clarkson was ALWAYS going to be traded and either Nance or Randle was going to either be traded or allowed to walk with nothing coming back. There was literally zero point in delaying the inevitable.

Clarkson was only always getting traded if they wanted two max slots. The point is he and Nance are good enough players to keep around until you actually need those two max slots. Which they don't right this very second. They already had one slot based off KCP and Lopez. They won't need the 2nd until Lebron say "yeah, I'll come to the Lakers". You brought up Short Buss when this is exactly the same script LA has been using; open up tons of space to keep chasing FA. What Magic/Pelinka could have done this time though is actually hold on to their assets first. But they didn't. If they miss out, they end up doing the same thing again; load up on short deals for big money and fire off on the next batch.

Also, its pretty early to say Hart has already replaced Clarkson's skillset. I like Hart, but he's played well for 2 months. That's it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with some fans wanting the Lakers to wait and see what develops in the offsesson. I was surprised by the move, but have confidence in this management team.

Agree. I have said all along that I was good either way. If they wanted to wait and see how the kids develop, I have no problem with that. If they wanted to clear cap space and go after max guys, I was good with that too as long as they did it without trading Lonzo, Ingram or Kuzma.

Now that they have made their decision, I'm good with it and have full confidence that they will get something done either this off season or next.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe IT will play himself into a starting rotation position of which the Lakers have planned for him and will want sign him to a new deal. So, yea, the Lakers got a lot more than a first rounder and cap space even though those two things alone made the deal better.

IT will start-off coming off the bench and then the Lakers will watch what develops to dictate how they proceed at the end of the season, I suppose.

Isaiah Thomas to reportedly come off bench in Lakers debut; could vie for starting role

Yeah, I heard this morning that he had backed off the "HE ISN'T COMING OFF THE BENCH" rhetoric. I also agree that this could be a good thing.

No one is giving him a max deal now. If he plays well, maybe the Lakers keep him at a discounted rate and add a couple of max guys. If he gets even close to where he was pre-injury, the Lakers could end up with 2 max guys and another player who plays like a max guy but isn't on a max deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson was only always getting traded if they wanted two max slots.

They always wanted 2 max slots. That's what they said all along. That's what Magic and Pelinka have been trying to do since they were hired. Not sure why some are acting surprised.

If folks will remember, this is what used to happen when Dr. Buss was alive. Just when you thought nothing was going to happen...here comes Magic...here comes Byron...here comes Worthy...here comes Mychal Thompson...here comes Shaq and Kobe...here comes Pau Gasol...etc.

Which they don't right this very second. They already had one slot based off KCP and Lopez. They won't need the 2nd until Lebron say "yeah, I'll come to the Lakers". You brought up Short Buss when this is exactly the same script LA has been using; open up tons of space to keep chasing FA. What Magic/Pelinka could have done this time though is actually hold on to their assets first. But they didn't. If they miss out, they end up doing the same thing again; load up on short deals for big money and fire off on the next batch.

I disagree. There is no guarantee that a deal close to this would be there if Lebron decided to come to the Lakers and there's no point in delaying the inevitable. You strike while the iron is hot. Why continue to develop a player that isn't part of your future? Move on from him and start working on your real objective. It's no like they broke up a playoff team.

Also, its pretty early to say Hart has already replaced Clarkson's skillset. I like Hart, but he's played well for 2 months. That's it.

It's enough of a sample size to know he's better than Clarkson. Even if he tapers off and doesn't score like Clarkson, he's a better defender and a better rebounder.

Why are we acting like Clarkson is the 2nd coming of MJ?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They always wanted 2 max slots. That's what they said all along. That's what Magic and Pelinka have been trying to do since they were hired. Not sure why some are acting surprised.

If folks will remember, this is what used to happen when Dr. Buss was alive. Just when you thought nothing was going to happen...here comes Magic...here comes Byron...here comes Worthy...here comes Mychal Thompson...here comes Shaq and Kobe...here comes Pau Gasol...etc.

I disagree. There is no guarantee that a deal close to this would be there if Lebron decided to come to the Lakers and there's no point in delaying the inevitable. You strike while the iron is hot. Why continue to develop a player that isn't part of your future? Move on from him and start working on your real objective. It's no like they broke up a playoff team.

It's enough of a sample size to know he's better than Clarkson. Even if he tapers off and doesn't score like Clarkson, he's a better defender and a better rebounder.

And a better outside shooter. I thought Clarkson would turn out to be the star of the team by now. That was never going to happen .

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure anyone is acting like that TJF12. I just wanted to see if the chemistry was going to motivate this team to actually want to consistently win and maybe get in the playoffs the Lakers way. That was the extent of my contribution to the "sky-is-falling" you so eloquently characterized those of us that spoke up.:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is some new stuff on the reasoning behind Clarkson going and not Randle. Looks like others think the Lakers made another rreally good move especially with the late first rounder we get from Cleveland because we don;t have a first rounder this year. Another year and we will finally be free from short Buss's collosal mess of the Dwightmare craziness and hopefully Deng will be gone as well.

Talking Jordan Clarkson and tonight’s game with Lakers Outsiders

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT has 16 points at the half as we are up by one with Dallas.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we let Dallas look like world beaters. These guys are 17 and 38 and they suck yet they always seem to play like a plyoff team when we play them.