• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2017-2018 Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they can afford to trade them. The point of trading them is to clear cap space to sign 2 max level players. Clarkson and Randle will never be max level players. They are great pieces to add to a contending team and it would be nice to have them once the Lakers are back to being a contending team. Unfortunately, thanks to the "brilliance" of Short Buss, they have no choice but to unload them to get top FA's.

I love Julius Randle, but I disagree that he is more versatile than Nance. Randle is an undersized PF and because of that, he is much more vulnerable defensively than Nance. It's also what causes some of his inconsistency where he will go for 22 points and 12 rebounds one night and then have 11 points and 5 rebounds the next.

Randle is at his best playing the 5 in a small ball lineup. Because of this, while Randle has definitely improved his trade value, Nance would likely bring more in a trade.

It would only kill the bench if they trade him by the trade deadline and only for the rest of this season. If things work the way the Lakers are hoping, aside from still having Ball, Ingram, Kuzma and maybe Nance...they will have many different players on the roster next season. I'd like to see them keep Hart and maybe Zubac if possible. With his play of late, Caruso maybe making a strong case to be back as the backup point guard.

I disagree on Ball. His shooting was definitely atrocious early in the season, but he's gotten much better of late. He's been an elite level facilitator pretty much since day 1 and that's what the Lakers drafted him for, not his shooting. The injuries are a little worrisome, but I think it's more about the Lakers being cautious than anything. I'd be willing to bet that if this team were fighting for playoff position, he'd be playing.
I agree they really have no choice, but to unload Randle and Clarkson. They will help a contender. I think they only need one max player

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they really have no choice, but to unload Randle and Clarkson. They will help a contender. I think they only need one max player

If they only need one max player, then there is no need to unload salary.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I think all they need is one max player. They have enough young guys that are deveoping and one of those could be another star player to go with the max player.

I think it is too risky to unload those guys to try and get 2 max guys and then one manage getting one and not having those guys for depth and team balance.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ

I see your point, but what if they trade away those guys and can't get 2 max contract guys? Then, you hurt the depth and talent of your team.

You can't just say they are getting 2 max guys. Nothing is a guarantee.

Also, your same,arguments about Randle are true about Nance as well. He will show up one game and disappear the next. This difference is Randle will show up with those 20+ games with 10+ rebounds. Those game are rare for Nance.

I agree. But the fact remains that they have to clear the space to get them. Personally, I would be fine with them keeping the current team intact and then moving those guys when they have a couple of max guys on the hook. That way, they still have them next season if they miss out.

Although, I think Randle is gone no matter what. He's an RFA and I think he'll get an offer that the Lakers won't match.

I'd also like to think that if they do choose to move them before the trade deadline, that it means they know something or think they do re: getting a max guy or 2.

Nance has more upside than Randle. With Kuzma doing what he's doing, the Lakers actually have a bit of a logjam at PF and Nance fits better with the team they are trying to build. Once Randle is gone, I think we'll see more consistency from Nance.

Randle, as much as I like him, isn't ever going to get any bigger. So, I doubt he'll ever be any more consistent.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may be right about needing only one max player. Especially if Ingram, Ball and now Kuzma can keep developing. I'd also like to see them keep and develop Hart. I think he could be their future 6th man once they move Clarkson.

If they do decide to go with 1 max guy, it needs to be a young one, imo. Because if they go that route, it means at least 3 more years before they are true contenders.

Adding 2 max guys could make them contenders as early as next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they only need one max player, then there is no need to unload salary.

I could be wrong, but I think they still need to unload salary to land one. If they go for 1, I think they still need to unload Clarkson and Randle. Or it may be Clarkson or Randle. Not sure.

The problem with Clarkson is what he makes now. The problem with Randle isn't what he makes now...it's what he's going to make. Someone is going to offer him about $15 million per year. If the Lakers matched, they wouldn't have space for a max guy.

But, they could just stand pat, wait out Deng's contract and have him come completely off the books rather than stretch him (which is what they'll likely have to do since no one will trade for him).

That might allow them to keep Randle and Clarkson and go after a max guy in the 2019 off season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clarkson may get moved, but they will likely at least feel out the market to re-sign Randle as an RFA (unless some surprise trade happens before the deadline). 1st round draft picks would be the likely targets.

Stretching Deng is a given at this point.

The 2 max contract idea makes no sense given the structure of the team and who's available. Lakers need SG and C the most. Not many SGs available this summer worth a max deal (unless you could Paul George, a SF who could play SG). Much the same with center, unless you want a head case (Boogie) or DeAndre on the downside of his career (I don't). If Lebron wants to come, room will be made, but again it won't be a clean fit.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clarkson may get moved, but they will likely at least feel out the market to re-sign Randle as an RFA (unless some surprise trade happens before the deadline). 1st round draft picks would be the likely targets.

Stretching Deng is a given at this point.

The 2 max contract idea makes no sense given the structure of the team and who's available. Lakers need SG and C the most. Not many SGs available this summer worth a max deal (unless you could Paul George, a SF who could play SG). Much the same with center, unless you want a head case (Boogie) or DeAndre on the downside of his career (I don't). If Lebron wants to come, room will be made, but again it won't be a clean fit.
I would take a chance on cousins.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a chance on cousins.

Scratch that

He just torn his Achilles.

Chances are he won't be the same player again. The majority of players aren't the same after Achilles injuries.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to post ALR but you beat me to it. Cousins' Achilles rupture changes everything because his career might be OVER. Also we beat Chicago tonight. In the last 10, we are 8-2 and moving up out of the abyss rapidly.

If we continue to play and win like this, I see Magic abandoning this max player stuff and keeping his young, talented, stars all under Luke. Luke learned this developmental system at GS with the Logo as a consultant and it looks like things are continuing right on course he apparently stuck with despite all the naysayers.

You can have all the flippin' aging max players all you want. I'll take these new guys and what is developing right under our collective noses!!

DeMarcus Cousins suffers a reported season-ending Achilles' injury

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to post ALR but you beat me to it. Cousins' Achilles rupture changes everything because his career might be OVER. Also we beat Chicago tonight. In the last 10, we are 8-2 and moving up out of the abyss rapidly.

If we continue to play and win like this, I see Magic abandoning this max player stuff and keeping his young, talented, stars all under Luke. Luke learned this developmental system at GS with the Logo as a consultant and it looks like things are continuing right on course he apparently stuck with despite all the naysayers.

You can have all the flippin' aging max players all you want. I'll take these new guys and what is developing right under our collective noses!!

I see them going for just the one max player and try to keep Clarkson and Randle

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep scratch that. I still think we need a sniper outside shooter off the bench and a center.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think George would be the guy to go after.

He can play SG, which is one of the weak spots on the team, and provide the leadership this team is lacking on the court when it comes to closing out games ( although they have been better lately ).

They can try and resign Lopez to a team friendly deal, or play Zubac and let him develop more. He was playing well at times last season but his development got cut off with the Lopez trade. If they didn't have Lopez, Zubac would be on the court developing right along side the other guys.

And when they go small, the play Randle at C which is another reason why they need to keep him rather than trade him.

And going after LeBron makes no sense when you have Ingram playing the same position. If they want LeBron, they should've traded Ingram.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are ten games out of .500 and fourth from the 8th place finisher in the west. Winning streaks are definitely becoming a premium for a lot of reasons, all of them good.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think George would be the guy to go after.

He can play SG, which is one of the weak spots on the team, and provide the leadership this team is lacking on the court when it comes to closing out games ( although they have been better lately ).

They can try and resign Lopez to a team friendly deal, or play Zubac and let him develop more. He was playing well at times last season but his development got cut off with the Lopez trade. If they didn't have Lopez, Zubac would be on the court developing right along side the other guys.

And when they go small, the play Randle at C which is another reason why they need to keep him rather than trade him.

And going after LeBron makes no sense when you have Ingram playing the same position. If they want LeBron, they should've traded Ingram.

If they acquire James as a FA, he'd play PF (in Walton's offense) and Randle would not be kept around.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3