• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is why you should be building for like 2021.

This move does nothing of the sort.
It actually could. That's exactly what it could do. You have this Kyrie opt-out planted deeply in your negative nellie psyche. He could very well decide to stay, and it seems like the organization has a good feeling that he wants to be in Boston for a long time.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually could. That's exactly what it could do. You have this Kyrie opt-out planted deeply in your negative nellie psyche. He could very well decide to stay, and it seems like the organization has a good feeling that he wants to be in Boston for a long time.

Because you can't assusme that, so you can only value the trade based on how long he's under this contract. It's no different than assuming the Sox will resign Addison Reed because they could so that makes the trade better. No, it's whatever his contract says is left, that's what you're paying for.

second, the celtics traded for him like he's a top 10 player.

the reality is he isn't even a top 20 player is more like top 30ish. At best.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can't assusme that, so you can only value the trade based on how long he's under this contract. It's no different than assuming the Sox will resign Addison Reed because they could so that makes the trade better. No, it's whatever his contract says is left, that's what you're paying for.

Dude, how many all stars do you think are available with 4 or 5 years on a contract?

Everybody wanted PG..2 years...everybody wanted Butler 3 years(player option 3rd year), that's what you do! You get the player you want in the damn city...and go from there.

You don't like Kyrie, or the package we gave up...I get that. But, Kyrie not having 4 or 5 years on his contract isn't the issue. You continue to build a team to make him stay, because he is part of a 3-5 year plan.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... it appears IT was about on the same injury time line as he was all along...

... and Cleveland dangled him out there in public, trying to use fears over his injury as a post-deal bargaining tool...

... going days on end without clarifying their concerns...

... all to gain, what? An extra 2nd round pick? Maybe a late 1st?

Cleveland looks terrible here. What a classless organization.

First of all, we still don't know whether the trade is actually going through or not.

Secondly, Celtics fans getting upset over the Cavs doing their due dilligence about a star player's injury is getting ridiculous.

This physical very well might have been the first serious look at the injury since May. A lot could have happened between now and then and the Cavs have every right to take every second they want to evaluate the injury and consider the ramifications.

If that makes a couple of Celtics fans whine for a few days so be it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is always a risk that a player may not re-sign. Having 2 years left on his contract gives the Celtics a far better chance to keep him than if it were only 1 year left. Gives them a season to see what they can do and then make whatever roster adjustments are necessary to improve. Assuming the Celtics are the best team in the East when he becomes an FA, it's unlikely that he turns that down. Especially considering that there likely won't be anywhere else that he can go that will give him a better chance to win.

He's not top 10, but he's definitely top 20 and closer to 10 than 20. I'd put him in the top 15. With his ability to score, if Stevens could get him to ba at least an average defender, he could get into the top 10.

The Celtics didn't overpay for him because he's not worth what they gave up. They overpaid because they likely didn't have to give up as much. However, to be fair, as someone else mentioned, IT's injury may be why the Celtics had to give up more.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is always a risk that a player may not re-sign. Having 2 years left on his contract gives the Celtics a far better chance to keep him than if it were only 1 year left. Gives them a season to see what they can do and then make whatever roster adjustments are necessary to improve. Assuming the Celtics are the best team in the East when he becomes an FA, it's unlikely that he turns that down. Especially considering that there likely won't be anywhere else that he can go that will give him a better chance to win.

He's not top 10, but he's definitely top 20 and closer to 10 than 20. I'd put him in the top 15. With his ability to score, if Stevens could get him to ba at least an average defender, he could get into the top 10.

The Celtics didn't overpay for him because he's not worth what they gave up. They overpaid because they likely didn't have to give up as much. However, to be fair, as someone else mentioned, IT's injury may be why the Celtics had to give up more.

He's closer to 30 than 15.

And they gave up for top 10. Lowe had an article on ESPN quoting as much.

And he's not worth what they gave up. Not even close. Brooklyn pick should have been on the table for this.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondly, Celtics fans getting upset over the Cavs doing their due dilligence about a star player's injury is getting ridiculous.

This physical very well might have been the first serious look at the injury since May. A lot could have happened between now and then and the Cavs have every right to take every second they want to evaluate the injury and consider the ramifications.

Disagree here. From the look of how things went down, the Cavs started dragging their feet after the deal was agreed to. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to practice due diligence, they do.

The problem is, on the rare occasion that trades get voided, it's when a physical reveals an undisclosed or unknown injury. In this case, everyone knew about IT's hip, so the Cavs had plenty of opportunity to practice due diligence before agreeing to a trade.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't be more wrong.

Sure I could.

I could take your position.

Kyrie is so bad on defense, it tanks his overall value despite being a good offensive player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I could.

I could take your position.

Kyrie is so bad on defense, it tanks his overall value despite being a good offensive player.

And yet, he's still better defensively than IT.

Let me guess, you actually think IT is the better player.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, he's still better defensively than IT.

Let me guess, you actually think IT is the better player.

No, but it's a small upgrade.

Not worth 2 premium assets.

you trade premium assets for premium players. Like a Brow.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone who values integrity and class.

Not a douche bag saying #Free Brady....free him from what?

The truth?

Justice?

Actually being treated like any other player and not given a pass because he's a star?
cmon man..

the "deflater" was a guy just on a diet. lol.

that is the most hilarious crock of shit i have ever heard.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you were also the one that said Kyrie wasnt even a top 6 point guard less than a year ago.

I've also said that he's one of my favorite players to watch,. Considering it's a guard driven league, he could not be a top 6 point guard and still be a top 20 player in the league.

Considering what has happened with a couple of others and how he has played, I'd have him 4th or 5th now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, we still don't know whether the trade is actually going through or not.
You yourself just got finished saying that all indications are that the trade is going through.
gt said:
Again, all indications at this point are that this situation has less to do with "due diligence" and more to do with after-the-fact extortion.

We're now about a week into this saga. There has been no evidence released that Isaiah is any more or less injured than previously reported. None.

During this time, Cleveland has been largely... suspiciously... silent. No official announcements... just leaks of "concern", followed by leaks of wanting more compensation.

If you read through the link I posted... it is basically plain at this point that Isaiah will be back early next season.

IT has now spoken out on the subject... and he has declared that no doctor has ever told him anything other than he would be back early next season. IT further states "he has no idea what [Cleveland} is doing"
gt said:
Yes, they had every right to give IT a physical. No doubt.

It's their behavior in the many days that have followed that has been highly suspect.

If there is a specific problem, shouldn't Cleveland be forthright and address it openly? The fact that Cleveland hasn't been straightforward and forthright speaks volumes.
gt said:
If that makes a couple of Celtics fans whine for a few days so be it.
Read the links I have offered today. As each day of this saga has dragged out, the excuses have basically worn out by this point.