• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie Irving is now a...

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at their overall playoff stats Irving is better, and Irving isn't in his prime yet

Plus Irving was better in the head to head matchup

But hes not if we are comparing the last 3-4 years. And not a few games.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Literally' though?

Curry did do this once.

curry1leg.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie Irving is better than both of those guys. - Wiggy and lebron23james
obviously reading is not your strong suit.

I said Kyrie Irving is not on Curry's level yet....however, Kyrie did torch him during the Finals and is far more accomplished at 24 than Curry was at 24- who seemingly came out of nowhere to contend for and win 2 mvps.

I realize Curry played multiple more years than Kyrie did in college- but i am not going to penalize Kyrie for being one of the youngest all stars in NBA history and playing at the highest competition level in the world while Curry was lighting up Ball State.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously reading is not your strong suit.

I said Kyrie Irving is not on Curry's level yet....however, Kyrie did torch him during the Finals and is far more accomplished at 24 than Curry was at 24- who seemingly came out of nowhere to contend for and win 2 mvps.

I realize Curry played multiple more years than Kyrie did in college- but i am not going to penalize Kyrie for being one of the youngest all stars in NBA history and playing at the highest competition level in the world while Curry was lighting up Ball State.

Curry only came out of nowhere if you had never watched basketball prior to 2015. The same year that Irving became an all-star for the first time, Curry outscored him, outrebounded him, had more assists than him, and had more steals than him. Curry was 7th in the league in Win Shares and 6th in the league in VORP that year. Curry was arguably a top 10 player as soon as 2012-2013. I'm not sure I'd argue top 10 but I think somebody could make the argument.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry only came out of nowhere if you had never watched basketball prior to 2015. The same year that Irving became an all-star for the first time, Curry outscored him, outrebounded him, had more assists than him, and had more steals than him. Curry was 7th in the league in Win Shares and 6th in the league in VORP that year. Curry was arguably a top 10 player as soon as 2012-2013. I'm not sure I'd argue top 10 but I think somebody could make the argument.
Curry absolutely came out of nowhere as an elite player and potential MVP candidate.

Top ten in '12 -'13? You have to to stop huffing glue.

zero all star appearances, zero all nba teams, did he win a playoff series at that point? if so it was only 1...

and top 10? wow that is total and complete insanity.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry absolutely came out of nowhere as an elite player and potential MVP candidate.

zero all star appearances, zero all nba teams, did he win a playoff series at that point? if so it was only 1...

2012-13 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

Steph Curry finished 11th in MVP voting for the 2012-2013 Season. Just FYI.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012-13 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

Steph Curry finished 11th in MVP voting for the 2012-2013 Season. Just FYI.
I think we have gone through excruciating detail debunking the argument that the MVP translates into a "best player" award.

Ty Lawson tied with David lee for 12th that year. Want to argue they ere top 30 players, let alone top 15?

yah didnt think so

The winner - LeBron James had 1207 points that year. IN 8th place was James Harden with 33.

Curry got 3 points- probably from San francisco news paper writers.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have gone through excruciating detail debunking the argument that the MVP translates into a "best player" award.

Yeah, I get it. The MVP factors in many other things such as winning, etc.

But you're continuing to say he came out of nowhere, when he was widely recognized as one of the best players that season. Finishing 11th in MVP voting shows how flawed your view of him as a player was during that time frame. If the NBA, his peers, and media, all agreed he was one of the top 11 players in the NBA that season, he can't be anywhere near the level you were ranking him as a player during that time.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7th in WS. 6th in VORP. 6th in BPM. 7th in points.

Like I said, I'm not sure I'd say he was a top 10 player in 2012-2013 but I think someone can reasonably make that argument.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you're continuing to say he came out of nowhere, when he was widely recognized as one of the best players that season. Finishing 11th in MVP voting shows how flawed your view of him as a player was during that time frame. If the NBA, his peers, and media, all agreed he was one of the top 11 players in the NBA that season, he can't be anywhere near the level you were ranking him as a player during that time.
Joakim Noah finished 4th in the MVP voting in '13/'14.....he a top 10 guy in the league?

I wouldnt have put him in my top 20 EVER.

so you think that because he finished 12th in the MVP voting- the league felt Ty Lawson was a top 15 player? okay- if you think that more power to you...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

finishing 11th in the MVP shows NOTHING

he had 3 points dude....that is nothing - like i said- thats probably just votes from the San Francisco chronicle. 3 points is NOTHING.

trying to pass that off as something like its a consensus of the league is just completely and totally assinine

either that or you are just completely ignorant as to how the MVP voting works....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goran Dragic got 3 points for MVP in '13-'14!!! 3 points!! 16th best player in the league right?

lol.

what 3 points means is that he probably was on 1 ballot in 7th place by one newspaper.

so- when Curry got 3 points- it was likely one reporter from San Francisco listing him 7th out of 10 on his ballot. IMPRESSIVE.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goran Dragic got 3 points for MVP in '13-'14!!! 3 points!! 16th best player in the league right?

lol.

what 3 points means is that he probably was on 1 ballot in 7th place by one newspaper.

so- when Curry got 3 points- it was likely one reporter from San Francisco listing him 7th out of 10 on his ballot. IMPRESSIVE.

How about addressing the fact that there are a number of different value stats that value him in the top 10 for 2012-2013? Does that mean he was a top 10 player that year? Maybe, maybe not. But it's pretty solid proof that you're wrong that he came out of nowhere.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about addressing the fact that there are a number of different value stats that value him in the top 10 for 2012-2013? Does that mean he was a top 10 player that year? Maybe, maybe not. But it's pretty solid proof that you're wrong that he came out of nowhere.
post those whole lists.....lets see them instead of cherry picking certain advanced stats out of context.

on the Whiteside vs. Thompson thread people ACTUALLY found evidence that Thompson was the most efficient offensive player in the league and Whiteside the most efficient defensive player in the league. Not all advanced stats are created equally.

provide a little context and reasoning behind it instead of pulling cherry picked stats out of your ass.

At first- i was surprised by @CitySushi comment about Curry being 11th in the MVP voting- until i remembered how MVPvoting works.

LeBron won with 1207 points. Curry had 3 points- which is likely 1 guy voting for him and listing him 7th out of 10.

Now- 11th sounds fairly impressive, until you realize 3 points means nothing- and guys like Ty Lawson, Noah etc. either had just as many if not tons more- and no one in their right mind would ever call them legit MVP contenders.

do you think its relevant that 1 reporter- likely a local reporter listed Curry 7th out of 10 on one ballot? i sure as hell dont.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finishing 11th in the MVP shows NOTHING

he had 3 points dude....that is nothing - like i said- thats probably just votes from the San Francisco chronicle. 3 points is NOTHING.

trying to pass that off as something like its a consensus of the league is just completely and totally assinine

either that or you are just completely ignorant as to how the MVP voting works....

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Your escalating tone is a bit much for a debate over really what boils down to personal opinion.

What it ultimately comes down to is a matter of opinion. Stating your opinion as fact, when there are tons of other things out there that validate Curry before your believe he came out of no where. Many, many people viewed Curry as a rising star at the time. Simply ignoring this doesn't make it not true. Just as you've said the MVP voting takes into account other factors, and just as easily could have negatively impacted Curry too.

At worst would you agree that during that season Curry was a top 20 player? If so, that still means he didn't come out of nowhere. Being that there are 450 players in the NBA in any given season, that's still saying something.