• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WAS Redskins and NY Jets both took the cautious "wait a yr and see" approach with their QBs...it's pretty clear NYJ made the right decision and they will be in the QB market again in '17.

But Washington is not so clear so I wanted to throw it out on the big board.

His stat line

8 gms started/ 216 /321 /67% /2390yds/ 7.6 YA / 12 td/7 int/11 sk / 93.1 rating

Record 4-3-1 thru 8 games....two road wins @ BAL and @ NYG

The benchmark contract is probably still Brock Osweiler's deal in HOU...4/$72/$37G

Discuss

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen WAS play 3 games this yr...PIT, PHI & CIN...so I'm not basing this on stat line alone.

Clearly Cousins has proven he's a starter level player in this league. IMO, he's a middle of the league guy, a notch below the 2nd tier QBs like Matt Ryan, Flacco, etc.

He might get it, but he's not a $100 mil dollar QB imo, but I think WAS should pay him...70 to 80m is where I think he should be.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No better options out there and he's played fine. If they had any defense they'd have 6 wins imo. Pay the man market value and move on :2cents:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough eval. He's without a doubt highly insulated by the talent at TE and Wr but he has made good use of it regardless. My inclination is I'd want a way to get out of the contract after two years if I am Washington.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how much he wants if he wants a ton let him walk if not sign him

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen WAS play 3 games this yr...PIT, PHI & CIN...so I'm not basing this on stat line alone.

Clearly Cousins has proven he's a starter level player in this league. IMO, he's a middle of the league guy, a notch below the 2nd tier QBs like Matt Ryan, Flacco, etc.

He might get it, but he's not a $100 mil dollar QB imo, but I think WAS should pay him...70 to 80m is where I think he should be.

Cousins is a guy who on a team like Minny or SEA or that has a top 3 defense could win it all. He can put up the points, but needs the talent around him. He doesn't have that talent in WAS. The defense isn't top 3, or 5 and the WR talent isn't there with little hope in the future. Doctson maybe, but who knows since we have seen nothing from him. RB looks like it is set some weeks, and like it needs major help others. The OL needs major help.

Basically Cousins isn't a guy who I would give a big contract to just because the team isn't built for a guy like him. If he were 24 I'd say he has time. But if you sign him to a 4 year $75 million deal then it will be the last year of the contract before the pieces are around him to make it worth the money. Washington won't win with Kirk unless they address many other positions. Iknow that their fans all think they have a SB team now, but they don't. They have a great CB, an average defense, a sub-par OL, average RB's, and aging or injured WR's. They have a stud TE that can be counted on to play 8-10 games a year. You don't lock up a big money QB at this point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is a guy who on a team like Minny or SEA or that has a top 3 defense could win it all. He can put up the points, but needs the talent around him. He doesn't have that talent in WAS. The defense isn't top 3, or 5 and the WR talent isn't there with little hope in the future. Doctson maybe, but who knows since we have seen nothing from him. RB looks like it is set some weeks, and like it needs major help others. The OL needs major help.

Basically Cousins isn't a guy who I would give a big contract to just because the team isn't built for a guy like him. If he were 24 I'd say he has time. But if you sign him to a 4 year $75 million deal then it will be the last year of the contract before the pieces are around him to make it worth the money. Washington won't win with Kirk unless they address many other positions. Iknow that their fans all think they have a SB team now, but they don't. They have a great CB, an average defense, a sub-par OL, average RB's, and aging or injured WR's. They have a stud TE that can be counted on to play 8-10 games a year. You don't lock up a big money QB at this point.

Lack of weapons? Crowder, Reed, Jackson, Garcon, & Doctson...I know Jackson and Garcon are going north of 30 next yr, and the Doctson hasn't shown much yet, but that's not terrible. So I kind of disagree there.

11 sacks is trending towards 22 to 25 for the year so I agree on OL, but interesting take...you wouldn't spend it.

I was tracking WAS to a 9-7 type season at the outset, and they could still do that...but you would let Cousins go and look towards the draft or a lower level FA it sounds like.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough eval. He's without a doubt highly insulated by the talent at TE and Wr but he has made good use of it regardless. My inclination is I'd want a way to get out of the contract after two years if I am Washington.

Makes sense...front load the deal to allow for a cost effective out if they are spinning their wheels after 2 yrs.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to hold on to him. But like Moose said, structure the contract to give you easy outs on the final couple years.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OLine isn't the issue as they've played well. DLine and ILB play is where they need the most help. Going rate for a good QB is what it is so pay it and fix that damn D

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DET loss hurt and they had a good shot in London...RZ OFC was not great in that one.

If they don't let stafford go 80 yards in 4 plays playing 20 yards off the ball and Hopkins who's been very good makes a 34 yard FG they are 6-2. That being said if Eli isn't Eli at end of Giants game and the ravens don't fumble the int thru the end zone that's 2 losses. Cousins is a good QB and they need to sign him period. This team is going to score 27 a game but sadly will give up 28

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is the type of QB that makes these decisions tough. He is good enough to start and win games, but if you give him $18M to $20M long term in a cap world there is a real good chance he is going to hurt you more than he helps you over the life of the contract IMO. He fits somewhere around top 20th best QB in the league as of right now? that's not bad, but I'm not sure you want to commit big dollars for 6 years to him either. But, if you are Washington, what else are you going to do? It seems they have no choice IMO and have to sign him. Who knows, kid hasn't played a ton of NFL Football. If he takes it up a level he will not only be the "only choice" they have but may also turn out a smart move. He does a lot of good IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't let stafford go 80 yards in 4 plays playing 20 yards off the ball and Hopkins who's been very good makes a 34 yard FG they are 6-2. That being said if Eli isn't Eli at end of Giants game and the ravens don't fumble the int thru the end zone that's 2 losses. Cousins is a good QB and they need to sign him period. This team is going to score 27 a game but sadly will give up 28

Admittedly, I was iffy on Cousins LY and thought the tag was the way to go...he's not playing up to the tag $, but I agree he's proven to be a good QB. Idk about sign him period though...his price and the Redskins offer need to cross paths...I'd let him walk if he's talking about 90-100m.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly, I was iffy on Cousins LY and thought the tag was the way to go...he's not playing up to the tag $, but I agree he's proven to be a good QB. Idk about sign him period though...his price and the Redskins offer need to cross paths...I'd let him walk if he's talking about 90-100m.
Only question I have is who else do you sign or draft?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is the type of QB that makes these decisions tough. He is good enough to start and win games, but if you give him $18M to $20M long term in a cap world there is a real good chance he is going to hurt you more than he helps you over the life of the contract IMO. He fits somewhere around top 20th best QB in the league as of right now? that's not bad, but I'm not sure you want to commit big dollars for 6 years to him either. But, if you are Washington, what else are you going to do? It seems they have no choice IMO and have to sign him. Who knows, kid hasn't played a ton of NFL Football. If he takes it up a level he will not only be the "only choice" they have but may also turn out a smart move. He does a lot of good IMO.

My thoughts exactly on the money part...idk what type of measurement you want to use, but he's probably closer to the middle of the league than 20th.

WAS...that part in bold is what Cousin's agent wants to hear...they have some options...but to keep continuity with Gruden and the progress they've made as an OFC, I think he makes the most sense if the money can be worked out.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly on the money part...idk what type of measurement you want to use, but he's probably closer to the middle of the league than 20th.

WAS...that part in bold is what Cousin's agent wants to hear...they have some options...but to keep continuity with Gruden and the progress they've made as an OFC, I think he makes the most sense if the money can be worked out.
32 teams. Middle of the league = 16th or 17th. Add Romo and looking at 17th or 18th. OK, I'll buy that. Now of course I said top 20, not 20th. But I'll go with 17th or 18th...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only question I have is who else do you sign or draft?

If Cousins demands a $100m deal...my 1st question is who pays him? CLE, NYJ, SF?...the market is a little thin is my point. He shouldn't have that much leverage.

But let's say somebody does pay it...I would target a guy like Case Keenum for next yr...draft? the ND kid, Kizer Maybe Chad Kelly from Ole MS.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WAS Redskins and NY Jets both took the cautious "wait a yr and see" approach with their QBs...it's pretty clear NYJ made the right decision and they will be in the QB market again in '17.

But Washington is not so clear so I wanted to throw it out on the big board.

His stat line

8 gms started/ 216 /321 /67% /2390yds/ 7.6 YA / 12 td/7 int/11 sk / 93.1 rating

Record 4-3-1 thru 8 games....two road wins @ BAL and @ NYG

The benchmark contract is probably still Brock Osweiler's deal in HOU...4/$72/$37G

Discuss
They can't tag him again. That's too much for a mediocre QB. I think you are right with the Osweiler contract. He's no Ryan Fitzpatrick that's for sure. I hope he can't find work next year. Fuck that guy.