• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kiper's NFL Draft Grades - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper: 2016 NFL Draft Grades

Kiper has it organized by grades, I will go by division and will leave out the draft picks.

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills: B
Top needs: DE, LB, WR, DT

This draft class is an impressive double-edged sword for Rex Ryan and brother Rob Ryan: it gives them some much-needed help on defense, and could also be the class the front office points to if the defense doesn't get better. It's "Here you go, Rex. This better work."

Last year was bizarro football for a Rex Ryan-coached team -- it was the defense that kept Buffalo from the playoffs. Well, here comes some help. Shaq Lawson led college football in tackles for loss last season, and was my No. 12 prospect, so I like the value at No. 19. The concern: a number of teams believe he needs shoulder surgery, even if it can be delayed. I love the addition of Reggie Ragland at linebacker (even though the price was steep), a classic thumper who lacks elite range but can be a leader in the middle of the defense. Adolphus Washington provides solid value in Round 3 at another need position along the D-line; he can be a penetrator from the interior, and early in the season I wouldn't have suspected he'd be available this late. Cardale Jones is nowhere close to starting an NFL game, but he doesn't need to be, and the value is fine.

Miami Dolphins: B+
Top needs: CB, RB, G, ILB, DL

Bizarre circumstances, great player. Let's just go with that for the short version of how the Dolphins ended up with arguably the single-best prospect in the draft all the way down at No. 13. Laremy Tunsil has so many natural gifts for the tackle position, it's just now a matter of where he plays. Left side? Right side? Either way, if he's on the field, Miami gets better. Not many people know Xavien Howard, but that's not much of a reach in Round 2 -- he was going to go there. From there, this was all about getting Ryan Tannehill and Adam Gase more weapons. Kenyan Drake is Reggie Bush-lite, Leonte Carroo is a productive threat who can make catches down the field, and Jakeem Grant is a jitterbug who is electric in space if you can get him the ball. Thomas Duarte is one to watch, a hybrid wideout-tight end split who could develop. The Dolphins didn't do much for their defense, but they sure as heck tried to help their QB and ended up with a major steal early in the process.

New England Patriots: C+
Top needs: OT, RB, CB, WR, DL

This draft was obviously limited by the sanctions imposed on the Patriots because of Deflategate. They did get some good players, but the grade suffers just because they didn't have the opportunity to add as much talent. The good news? They've done a typically exceptional job with the roster, and I think the needs were pretty limited. Cyrus Jones could be a good one; he's undersized but could work in the slot and he'll take the ball away from you. He's also a really good return man. Joe Thuney helps because the guy can line up anywhere on the line. That's depth for a contender. Jacoby Brissett is a good developmental QB for Bill Belichick & Co., with physical tools that far surpass the performance. The loss of Dominique Easley paves the way for Vincent Valentine to crack the rotation, and he brings run-stuffing skills. Malcolm Mitchell was hampered by an injured knee, but he's an impressive talent, and I'm sure it's not lost on Belichick that Mitchell could play corner in a pinch -- he played both ways at Georgia. The Patriots didn't do much that'll be talked about, but they got some help in need positions.

New York Jets: B-
Top needs: OLB, OL, CB, QB

It's a symptom of the draft process that the same person could be excited about an FCS quarterback with barely a year and a half of starting experience drafted No. 2 overall -- and for a boatload of picks! -- and criticize the Jets for taking Christian Hackenberg at a reasonable value slot in Round 2. The reality is we just don't know what either will become, but while I had Connor Cook rated higher, I don't think the value range is too bad for Hackenberg if they feel he can be a starter. I think Hackenberg can get there, but he needs a lot of work with Chan Gailey. I think it's an awful idea to throw him out there early.

Elsewhere, I like this draft. The Jets got better at linebacker with Darron Lee, my No. 15 overall player taken at 20. Third-rounder Jordan Jenkins out-produced No. 9 overall pick Leonard Floyd at Georgia. Juston Burris is a good press corner who can contribute in this system. Brandon Shell is a talented project at tackle. Charon Peake is a guy I thought could go much earlier because of his physical skills, but if he's healthy he has a chance to stick. The story of this draft might very well end up about the success or failure of Hackenberg, but in Round 2 it's a decent bet to make.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC NORTH - PART 1

Baltimore Ravens: A
Top needs: CB, OT, DE, CB, WR

In a typical draft for Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta, the Ravens hit a big need early and then found a way to move down the board and add picks, where they got a ton of value. I'm not going to spend much time on the well-traveled Laremy Tunsil discussion, but I do think the off-field stuff factored in late, and made Ronnie Stanley an easier decision.

It's not as if Stanley was a reach. He went No. 6 overall and finished No. 6 on my Big Board. Eugene Monroe's future is a question at tackle, and Stanley could either replace him or kick inside and start out at guard. Either way, it works. In Kamalei Correa, they get pass-rusher who could also play inside, and Bronson Kaufusi hits a need along the defensive line. Tavon Young is slight, but can flat out play and could end up as a nickel corner (a need) and provides safety depth. Chris Moore was a great get in Round 4, a player I thought could go in Round 3 and McShay saw as a late-Round 2 type. He's a classic down-the-field threat for Joe Flacco. Willie Henry can stick, and Kenneth Dixon was my No. 3 running back, and the Ravens got him at No. 134. That's great value. Matt Judon gives them another pass-rusher who could turn into something in Round 5, and Keenan Reynolds is a great story and has a chance to stick.

The Ravens got a big need at tackle and just stacked up value thereafter.

Cincinnati Bengals: A-
Top needs: WR, DT, OLB, S

I don't know how long it has been since I've had a low grade on a Cincy class. They have a plan and they consistently get excellent value. In the secondary, Adam Jones is 32 and Dre Kirkpatrick could be an unrestricted free agent next season, so cornerback was a quiet need. The addition of William Jackson III -- a player with exceptional ball skills -- not only made sense, it deprived the rival Steelers from the chance to take him one slot later. Cincy needed a wide receiver or two, and got a pair of guys who can win down the field with ball skills and size in Tyler Boyd and Cody Core, the latter of whom is a sleeper given the size/speed combo. I had Andrew Billings ranked lower than many, but I certainly didn't expect him to be available in Round 4. I would have guessed Round 2. Same story with Christian Westerman, who was my No. 3 guard, so in Round 5 that's a steal. Nick Vigil could be called on early at linebacker with Vontaze Burfict suspended and the group relatively thin. Another solid draft.

Cleveland Browns: C
Top needs: QB, WR, OL, S, DE

I think the Browns did the right thing when they traded down from No. 2 to pile up picks. If you want to rebuild your roster from the ground up, go get picks. And Cleveland has a lot of draft capital, with an extra first and second in 2017 and an extra second in 2018. But I did have an issue: This was not a bonanza, but it should've been. The clear trend I saw was that the Browns wanted to get deeper on the lines, particularly with the pass rush, and they also wanted to load up at WR and add some speed/deep threats.

Corey Coleman runs a 4.3 40-yard dash and Ricardo Louis (4.43) isn't much slower, and while you hope Josh Gordon will be back, these are the kind of players that provide insurance assuming he isn't. I would've like Josh Doctson at 15, though. Seth Devalve is a move-tight end type, and Jordan Payton has great hands and is a special teams ace. Rashard Higgins has been productive and is a great route-runner. As for the lines, the Browns got a trio of pass-rushers in Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib and Joe Schobert, and I think that Schobert was a particularly good get in Round 4. Key with these guys: they were all productive. Shon Coleman is a needed addition at tackle, a high-character kid who could start on the right side as a rookie, and Spencer Drango is guard depth.

I think they should have gotten safety Justin Simmons at the end of Round 3 instead of reaching on Cody Kessler, a player who lacks starter upside. Safety Derrick Kindred helps after free agency further weakened the secondary. I believe the Browns are doing the right thing in piling up picks, but two things stand out: all the WR picks seem to go beyond simply how the board lined up, and felt a little excessive at the cost of other needs. Second, this draft will be in part remembered for what Carson Wentz becomes. With Cleveland, it always comes back to the QB. At least the next one has some weapons.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC NORTH - Part 2

Pittsburgh Steelers: B
Top needs: CB, S, DL, WR

Not everyone agrees with me, but I've been pretty clear that I think the secondary is the biggest need area for the Steelers -- who are a Super Bowl contender if they get things tightened up a bit back there -- and apparently someone in that front office agrees with me. Artie Burns fills an obvious need at cornerback (where Senquez Golson is also returning), but he's not as good as William Jackson III, who Cincinnati grabbed just one spot earlier. I really like Sean Davis and he can be plugged in at safety, though I would have taken Justin Simmons at that spot. Defensive line help was a need, and Javon Hargrave has a chance to be really good. They added useful depth at offensive tackle and a potential future starter in Jerald Hawkins, and Tyler Matakevich is a good player who has a chance to make the team as a seventh-rounder. The value wasn't amazing, but they sure hit needs and got better, at least on paper.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC SOUTH

Houston Texans: B+
Top needs: WR, S, TE, DE

If Bill O'Brien wanted weapons, he now has them. The Texans moved up a spot in an odd trade in the first round to make sure they were able to get
Will Fuller, a 4.3-40 burner out of Notre Dame who can take the top off a defense; they added Braxton Miller in Round 3; they added Tyler Ervin in Round 4. Every one of these guys is dynamic in space, and with the ball in their hands. There are questions of course: Fuller is inconsistent catching the ball, Miller is in the second year of a difficult conversion from quarterback, and Ervin is slight. But this team is WAY more explosive on paper.

They moved up to get
Nick Martin as a likely starter at center, and D.J. Reader is kind of a Vince Wilfork-lite (though not that much lighter on the scale). I'd have been interested in another pass-rusher, as the pressure to produce there for J.J. Watt is significant. If Brock Osweiler plays well and these new toys in the offense are part of the reason why, it'll look good; if Osweiler struggles, not so much.

Indianapolis Colts: B
Top needs: OL, OLB, CB, RB

I've been hard on the Colts in this space pretty much since they drafted
Andrew Luck. The reason has been I just don't think they've done enough to protect him. They definitely were thinking about protection -- and using the run game to do so -- in this draft.

Ryan Kelly was my No. 18 player, a high grade for a center, and he went to them at No. 19, and figures to start. Le'Raven Clark is a massive guy with some talent but in need of more seasoning; even if he doesn't stay at tackle, he could be moved to guard. Joe Haeg has a chance to stick after blocking for Carson Wentz. T.J. Green can be moved around in the secondary, and is an exceptional athlete with length. I thought he could have gone much earlier than the late second. Hassan Ridgeway can be a steal if he becomes more consistent and can stay on the field. Antonio Morrison is a better player than athlete, and has a chance to stick here. This draft should make Luck more comfortable behind his line -- and that is what's most important.

Jacksonville Jaguars: A
Top needs: DE, RB, CB, C

Regardless of what the future holds for
Myles Jack in terms of health, if he's anything close to 100 percent for years to come, the Jags will have one of the biggest steals of recent draft history. They got Jalen Ramsey at No. 5 after Dallas took Ezekiel Elliott, and then saw Jack fall all the way into the second round, where they moved up to grab him. That's two top-5 types in a single draft class. Stay healthy, Myles.

Yannick Ngakoue provides pass-rush insurance, and Sheldon Day could have gone much earlier as a disruptive interior player with a great motor. He'll deepen the rotation. Tyrone Holmes is an unknown, but the value is just fine here. Defense, defense, defense ... and hey, they need it. The defense was a trainwreck last year, frankly. I like the addition of Brandon Allen in the sixth round. He was dropped from some boards because of small hands, but he was the best QB in the SEC last year and is a great fit here as a backup. Ultimately, you love the talent Jacksonville added and the value, but they've drafted well recently and just haven't shown the growth on the field. Is this the class that turns the tide?

Tennessee Titans: A-
Top needs: OT, CB, CB, WR, OLB

The Titans not only got a bunch of good football players in this draft, they should have one of the best 2017 draft classes thanks to the premium picks they added when they moved out of the No. 1 slot. That's factored into the grade here. As for what they got this year, well, it's quite a bit even if the value was just OK in spots.
Jack Conklin is a good player, and will compete to start at left tackle, and perhaps end up at right. Either way, that's a starter at a need spot. Kevin Dodd helps the pass rush, Derrick Henry gives them running back help (even though you can get good running backs much, much later), Austin Johnson will jump into the mix on the D-line, and Tajae Sharpe could compete for time at wide receiver. Leshaun Sims and Kevin Byard could help in the secondary, though not early on.

If there's a question mark for me, it's whether they should have added a corner or wide receiver earlier. But overall, they got a bunch of players who have the chance to help, and the picks for next year will turn into more. This is what rebuilding looks like, and they already have the QB.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC WEST

Denver Broncos: B-
Top needs: G, QB, ILB, S

Paxton Lynch was the No. 4 quarterback on my board, with the top two picks (Goff, Wentz) and Connor Cook rated ahead of him. The league clearly spoke on Cook, and Denver clearly showed its affection for Lynch, as they moved up to get him, flipping Seattle a valuable pick to move up. I think Lynch is a gifted project, but I wouldn't want to start him in 2016 and maybe 2017. Under the guidance of Gary Kubiak (and John Elway), well, then it becomes hard to bet against his long-term potential given the elite physical skills. Adam Gotsis was my No. 55 player in the draft and Denver got him at No. 63 - that's a nice addition after the departure of Malik Jackson. My favorite pick in this class is Justin Simmons, my No. 4 safety. Steal at the end of Round 3. Devontae Booker can give them third-down help at running back right away. They got a needed guard in Connor Mcgovern in Round 5. Overall, it'll come down to Lynch, the question is how long Denver is willing to wait on him.

Kansas City Chiefs: B-
Top needs: CB, WR, DL, LB

There was some talk that the Chiefs would take a shot on Paxton Lynch in Round 1 as the heir apparent to Alex Smith, but we can't know if they would have pulled the trigger because Denver moved in. The Chiefs traded down to add a pick (they lost one from the Jeremy Maclin tampering charges) and added Chris Jones, a talented but inconsistent defensive tackle. Slight reach, but not bad. K.C. went right after needs with the next few picks: Keivarae Russell and Eric Murray at cornerback, Parker Ehinger at guard. Good need fits, and Murray could be a steal. I once saw him going far higher. Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill are developmental options in the passing game, with Robinson having the more proven track record. Andy Reid loves to draft quarterbacks (as he should) and Kevin Hogan is the one this year. Not an exciting draft, but the Chiefs hit needs pretty well.

Oakland Raiders: B+
Top needs: DL, ILB, DB, RB

Reggie McKenzie is on a roll. After free agency you could make the argument the Raiders have one of the top five offensive lines in football, and they needed to do some work on defense (even with the addition of Bruce Irvin). Karl Joseph is a stud at safety, my No. 13 player overall, and the Raiders got him with the 14th pick. Jihad Ward has first-round talent and they got him in Round 2. Shilique Calhoun can rush the passer and has a lot of production to point to. That's a solid Round 3 value.

In moving up for Connor Cook in Round 4, the Raiders jumped in front of both Dallas and Kansas City, two teams I think could have picked him. That's good maneuvering and not only does he provide some insurance against a Derek Carr injury, he's a guy who could become a valuable trade chip. I like the addition of DeAndre Washington, because not only can he play, this is the right range to go after potential running back starters. Ultimately, a solid draft. I know we tend to overestimate how much rookies can help a team, but the defense in particular looks better.

San Diego Chargers: B-
Top needs: OT, DL, S, TE

This is a tricky one, because I think they added some really good players, but there were a couple of need areas that largely weren't addressed. Joey Bosa is a great player, and I'm not at all worried about fit -- their coaches told me they were in sub-packages roughly 70 percent of the time last season, and they just added a versatile player who can move all over and be effective. Hunter Henry is the top tight end on my board in an admittedly weak class, and a useful weapon for Philip Rivers, and Max Tuerk could end up starting at center. Joshua Perry is a reasonable value and a potential starter at linebacker -- the guy has great instincts. Jatavis Brown is a favorite of mine (and Todd's) and could develop into a pretty good player, and they got my top punter in Drew Kaser.

So, the question: I'm surprised they didn't add an offensive tackle at any point (or two) after the problems of the last few seasons on the O-line. Is the protection going to be any better? They could also use a safety. Pretty good draft overall, with needs the one question.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a Cleveland fan I would have wanted to see them use all those picks to just keep trading up all day. Even with their shitty roster only so many picks can stick.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys: C
Top needs: DE, CB, WR, QB

I have mixed feelings on this draft class, with huge questions early and several great picks later. I love
Ezekiel Elliott as a player -- he's one of the best running back prospects in recent years -- and he's certain to be highly productive behind a fantastic offensive line, but I think a number of running backs would be really good in Dallas, and that goes for a number of players drafted well into Day 3. Great player, poor value range. Jaylon Smith can be special if he gets healthy, and would have been one of the top three players on my final Big Board if so. But this is two straight years Dallas has taken a major risk in Round 2 (Randy Gregory last year). Hopefully it works out this time. I'll be rooting like heck for that kid.

Maliek Collins is needed help on the D-line, and Charles Tapper is a sleeper because he played out of his ideal position a lot at Oklahoma, and Dallas could get something from him. Dallas was interested in getting into range for Paxton Lynch, and also missed out on a chance to draft Connor Cook when the Raiders traded up. Dak Prescott is a solid guy to have on the bench, but I question the starting upside, and I had Brandon Allen ranked higher. One I really love: Darius Jackson is a great sleeper RB out of Eastern Michigan. Rico Gathers is a great coin-flip late. The Baylor basketball player hasn't played football in years but has tremendous size. "Go follow No. 82 around, kid." One question: Did they do enough at cornerback? I'd say no.

New York Giants: B+
Top needs: LB, WR, OL, S, DE

The Giants did major work in free agency to address what was, at least for them, a historically bad defense last season. But needs are still everywhere, especially on defense.
Eli Apple is a really talented kid, and you have to go with your board, but at No. 10 he was a reach on mine as my No. 28th-ranked player. There will be some growing pains as he adjusts to new coaching and different techniques, but that could also bring out the best in him. Sterling Shepard is a great get for any team, and Eli Manning is going to love him. Take that guy anywhere and I'll like the pick. Darian Thompson is one of the great ball hawks in college football and could emerge as a starter at safety, and B.J. Goodson is a thumper they need at linebacker. Paul Perkins is a really good back at a good value point, and Jerrell Adams is a steal that late. Even with the one reach, this is a fantastic draft.

Philadelphia Eagles: C
Top needs: QB, OT, RB, CB

It's hard to give the Eagles an above-average grade just based on the draft value they gave away to get up to No. 2, where they are drafting a player I really like in Carson Wentz, but a real mystery in terms of when he'll be ready to handle the starting job in an NFL offense. The problem is, even though I like Wentz, I wasn't a fan of the value elsewhere on the board as well. I had
Isaac Seumalo as a reach in the third, and I had a number of other running backs ahead of Wendell Smallwood when he came off the board in Round 5. I think they were smart to target the O-line a couple of times, including Halapoulivaati Vaitai in the fifth, but I'm surprised they didn't add a wide receiver at any point, or a cornerback earlier than Jalen Mills in Round 7, though he could be a good value. Hey, they got the QB they wanted, so the grade going forward is all wrapped in him, but they definitely paid for it.

Washington Redskins: A-
Top needs: DL, S, RB, ILB

This is one of my favorite classes.
Josh Doctson is the top wide receiver in the draft for me, and the Redskins got him at No. 22. An absolute steal. Su'a Cravens is a versatile player perfect for sub-packages, and he not only attacks the line of scrimmage -- check the TFL totals -- he'll pick off passes if you test him. Kendall Fuller is a question mark because of his knee, but if he's 100 percent that's an extremely good value in Round 3. Nate Sudfeld is a good developmental quarterback if you can get his mechanics in order, and Keith Marshall could be a steal out of Round 7. Matt Ioannidis has a chance to help them on the defensive line, and I think he has a little Dan Klecko in him. I love how physical these players are -- a theme of last year's class -- and I think several of them can help an improving team get better.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC NORTH

Chicago Bears: A-
Top needs: OLB, DE, CB, OL

I have some concerns about Chicago's first-round pick, but the Bears made a bunch of good picks thereafter, so it's hard to call this anything but a really good class. The concern on Floyd is pretty simple: Can he maintain his weight and not get physically overwhelmed if he's not simply winning with speed? I think he provides immediate help in a pass-rushing role, but if that's all he becomes, No. 9 could be a reach. Plus, they gave up a fourth-rounder to jump from No. 11 to No. 9.

Now the good stuff: Cody Whitehair can be plugged in right away at guard. Jonathan Bullard is versatile and disruptive and is a nice chess piece for Vic Fangio. Nick Kwiatkoski is a really good linebacker and could start early in his career, though I'd have jumped at Kentrell Brothers in this spot. Deon Bush, Deiondre Hall and DeAndre Houston-Carson all come with versatile skill sets. In each case you have guys with experience at both cornerback and safety. Again, interesting chess pieces. I love the addition of Jordan Howard, who isn't a far cry from Derrick Henry but drafted three rounds later. I love the value of Daniel Braverman late. Could be a stud in the slot. Good draft overall, and I hope Floyd holds up.

Detroit Lions: B-
Top needs: OL, DL, LB, CB

Detroit got better on the O-line and one of the steals of the draft on defense in A'Shawn Robinson, my No. 20 overall player at No. 46. That's a good draft. The Lions' 2015 season went off the rails early and the culprit was a shaky offensive line, which allowed far too many hits on Matthew Stafford and didn't open any holes in the run game. The change at offensive coordinator helped, but the line still needs an infusion of talent.

Taylor Decker could be plugged in right away at right tackle, and was my 16th-ranked player -- which is where he was taken. Graham Glasgow has played center and guard and could push Travis Swanson at center. Joe Dahl projects to guard in the pros, but at Washington State he was an excellent left tackle, so don't be surprised if he at least gets a look there. Miles Killebrew is a good safety prospect, and that's a need position. I don't know where Anthony Zettel ends up on the D-line, but that's a good bet later in the draft. The two problems for me? The Lions didn't address wideout after the retirement of Calvin Johnson, and I would've liked to see them take a corner.

Green Bay Packers: B
Top needs: ILB, NT, OL, CB

When B.J. Raji said he wouldn't be playing in 2016, getting an interior presence on the defensive line became a big priority, and Kenny Clark is a good player. Clark offers some of what they lost because he can anchor and be an effective run-stuffer. He can also play in any system and is a good option for a creative coordinator. The Packers don't have a hole, per se, on the O-line, but the unit was all over the place last season, and Jason Spriggs is an impressive athlete at the tackle position. He needs seasoning, but the value is fine. The next two picks are all about making sure Clay Matthews doesn't have to be Superman. Kyler Fackrell is a useful edge defender with some pass-rush ability, and Blake Martinez is an inside linebacker who has a good feel for coverage. Dean Lowry can crack the rotation on the D-line, and Kyle Murphy is a decent bet to make late because he could jump into either tackle spot in a pinch. I think this was a solid draft, with needs clearly targeted.

Minnesota Vikings: B-
Top needs: WR, S, OL, CB

The Vikings absolutely had to get a wide receiver in this draft, another weapon to take pressure of Stefon Diggs, who is a talent but not exactly an established veteran. Laquon Treadwell was my No. 17 overall player and the Vikes got him at No. 23, so I'm a fan of the value. I also think he's more of the big, strong-handed, possession receiver Teddy Bridgewater needs. What'll be interesting is seeing what the three other wide receivers drafted before him end up doing. You can make a case for almost any of them as the best for one reason or another.

I'm less of a Mackensie Alexander fan than other analysts because of poor ball skills (zero career interceptions), but he's a good fit here at a need position, where Terence Newman is 38. I think Willie Beavers in Round 4 works for value and my guess is he goes to guard from tackle. Kentrell Brothers is a total steal for me. The guy is a tackling machine and is great depth for them at linebacker. He's a future starter. Moritz Boehringer is a great story with good size, but that's a long incubation process to get him on the field. Extreme leap in competition from the German league he was in. They have a need at safety, and Jayron Kearse has a chance to stick on the roster to help out. A pretty good draft, with Treadwell's early impact an important part of the equation for 2016.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Su'a Cravens, but I just don't think he will end up having a position in the NFL and will thus end up a bust. He was one guy I was glad to see Dallas stay away from. Then again...at least he'll play this year...

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons: B-
Top needs: LB, DE, S, TE

Dan Quinn needs more speed at linebacker if he wants to build a defense that can resemble the unit he and Pete Carroll had in Seattle, and he got faster and more versatile there. Keanu Neal is more of a second-round talent on my board, but I know he was coveted by a couple of teams in this range, and Quinn has a Kam Chancellor or Deone Bucannon-type safety who doubles as a linebacker. Deion Jones is undersized but can fly at linebacker and is the kind of player who will help them from getting beat so often by running backs catching passes. The Falcons needed a player like Austin Hooper with the likes of Jacob Tamme and Levine Toilolo the best they have at tight end, and De'Vondre Campbell is yet another athletic linebacker (my No. 11 outside linebacker).

The question mark is on the defensive line, where Atlanta didn't gain anything, but the Falcons could be seeing an extreme makeover at linebacker, and might have done it through a single draft.

Carolina Panthers: C+
Top needs: CB, DE, S, OT, WR

In the 2013 NFL draft, Dave Gettleman kicked off his tenure as the Panthers GM by taking a pair of defensive tackles in consecutive rounds (Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei) who have become a crucial part of the team's success. Gettleman knows you can't have too much of a good thing on the defensive line, and added Vernon Butler at the end of Round 1. Butler is a great athlete on the interior, and with Short and Lotulelei both headed toward contract years, this insures the Panthers against a drop-off. From there, it was all about cornerback after the departure of Josh Norman last week, and it was often with traits on the mind. James Bradberry (Round 2) and Daryl Worley (Round 3) both have impressive length and could be a good fit in Carolina's scheme, I just thought Bradberry was a reach. Zack Sanchez (Round 5) has a chance to be pretty good if he can hold up, because he has instincts and ball skills, but he's really lean.

The question marks: No help for the offensive line, and no true pass-rusher, though I think Butler helps in that area. I also would've liked to see a safety here.

New Orleans Saints: B-
Top needs: DL, OLB, G, WR, CB

I'm not sure there was a player more consistently placed with a team in mock drafts of Todd and mine than Sheldon Rankins to the Saints, and I think they made a good decision to add him. He can be a disruptive force on the interior as they continue a defensive rebuild. After that the Saints got a pair of Buckeyes, I just think the order could have been flipped in terms of value. Michael Thomas has a lot of potential and should start early in New Orleans, but I hate passing on defense there given what was available. That said, Vonn Bell at No. 61 is a steal on my board. Yep, he needs to be more physical, but they guy has instincts and ball skills from the safety position. David Onyemata is a developmental player coming from Canada, where New Orleans went before to draft Akiem Hicks. Daniel Lasco is a workout warrior who could surprise if he can stay healthy. Not a bad draft, with the emphasis mostly where it should be -- on defense. An outside linebacker would have been nice, but you only have so many picks.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B-
Top needs: CB, DE, OT, WR

First, to the really important stuff. I keep hearing people taking digs at the Bucs for drafting a kicker in Round 2, but Roberto Aguayo really is the kind of guy you take in Round 2. With PATs moved back and the fact that so many games come down to that one big kick, at that point it just doesn't look that bad. OK ... so about those other guys. Vernon Hargreaves III has some questions on size -- can he stay on the outside? -- but the guy is going to be on the field early on, which is a plus at that position. Noah Spence is one of the top two or three pass-rushers in the entire draft and they got him at No. 39. You can live with that. Ryan Smith has potential in nickel packages and they were smart to add another tackle in Caleb Benenoch. Dan Vitale should stick.

So why isn't the grade higher? It's because those top two picks represent at least some risk. Can Hargreaves handle the bigger receivers that dot the NFL? Can Spence stay focused? It's a good draft but isn't without a question or two.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC WEST

Arizona Cardinals: B-
Top needs: C, CB, OLB, S, WR

Robert Nkemdiche is a top-10 talent when at his best, which means when he's playing with 100 percent effort. When you get that, you have that rare penetrating force from the interior of the D-line. Calais Campbell will be 30 before Week 1, so while this isn't a huge need pick, it's a great value if Nkemdiche can jump into the rotation. I thought third-rounder Brandon Williams was a reach, but the former running back hits a clear need as a hybrid player in the secondary -- he could end up at either safety or corner. Evan Boehm is a solid addition in Round 4 because he can play either center or guard, and both can be considered need areas for the Cardinals. Marqui Christian is another safety addition -- a need area -- who has a chance to stick.

Arizona did a solid job of addressing needs, while also getting a potential premium player in Nkemdiche. I think they have the culture to make it work with him, and I know they did plenty of homework. Plus, this grade gets a bump because they addressed pass-rusher by trading their second-rounder for Chandler Jones before the draft.

Los Angeles Rams: B-
Top needs: QB, WR, TE, G/C

They traded a mint to move into place to get Jared Goff, and then they did a pretty good job of getting weapons in the passing game despite the fact that they didn't have any picks in Rounds 2 or 3. I'm a fan of Goff -- he is my No. 1 quarterback in this draft -- but this is not a slam-dunk future franchise quarterback. They'll need to be extremely patient and find ways to protect him. What they did do is hand him a couple of useful weapons in the passing game, a little reminiscent of how the Jags tried to add pass-catchers when they drafted Blake Bortles. Tyler Higbee is a second-round talent who got into trouble off the field and landed in the fourth. If you get the talent and not the drama, that's a steal. Pharoh Cooper could be a stud in the slot. He is sudden in his movements, competitive after the catch and should have been drafted earlier. Ultimately, this draft is all about Goff. They gave up SO much for him, it has to work.

San Francisco 49ers: C
Top needs: LB, OL, WR, CB, QB

I'm a fan of DeForest Buckner, but you expect to get a top-10 player if you're drafting in the top 10, and I thought the draft was just average thereafter. They used valuable draft assets to get Joshua Garnett, a player they clearly coveted, but that's a reach on my board. After that, I like the addition of Ronald Blair in the fifth round, but they did nothing at linebacker, and Jeff Driskel is a true project at quarterback. As well, I'm surprised they didn't get a wide receiver earlier than Aaron Burbridge in sixth round. There's a clear emphasis on finding some depth at cornerback and perhaps some developmental options on the offensive line, but even with the addition of two likely starters in Buckner and Garnett, this class was a bit disappointing based on the number of draft picks they had.

Seattle Seahawks: B+
Top needs: OL, DT, OLB, CB

For the second straight year, I'm a big fan of the Seattle draft class. The Seahawks needed to add an offensive lineman or two, and got one with their first-round pick in Germain Ifedi, who is a project for O-line coach Tom Cable at tackle but could move inside to guard early on. The move up to get Jarran Reed is one of the best moments of the draft. Not only is Reed No. 21 on my final Big Board and thus a steal at No. 49, he can be plugged right into the rotation and pick up the departed snaps of Brandon Mebane. C.J. Prosise is a nice weapon because he's a running back who started out at wide receiver, so the hands are good. Nick Vannett is an underrated pass-catcher at tight end, and he actually blocks. Rees Odhiambo is another guy who can compete for a role at guard. Alex Collins is a really good runner who has had some fumbles but can make you miss in a phone booth. I think Quinton Jefferson has a chance to stick at a need position. For a team that's already good, this is a pretty good haul.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC WEST

Denver Broncos: B-
Top needs: G, QB, ILB, S

Paxton Lynch was the No. 4 quarterback on my board, with the top two picks (Goff, Wentz) and Connor Cook rated ahead of him. The league clearly spoke on Cook, and Denver clearly showed its affection for Lynch, as they moved up to get him, flipping Seattle a valuable pick to move up. I think Lynch is a gifted project, but I wouldn't want to start him in 2016 and maybe 2017. Under the guidance of Gary Kubiak (and John Elway), well, then it becomes hard to bet against his long-term potential given the elite physical skills. Adam Gotsis was my No. 55 player in the draft and Denver got him at No. 63 - that's a nice addition after the departure of Malik Jackson. My favorite pick in this class is Justin Simmons, my No. 4 safety. Steal at the end of Round 3. Devontae Booker can give them third-down help at running back right away. They got a needed guard in Connor Mcgovern in Round 5. Overall, it'll come down to Lynch, the question is how long Denver is willing to wait on him.

Kansas City Chiefs: B-
Top needs: CB, WR, DL, LB

There was some talk that the Chiefs would take a shot on Paxton Lynch in Round 1 as the heir apparent to Alex Smith, but we can't know if they would have pulled the trigger because Denver moved in. The Chiefs traded down to add a pick (they lost one from the Jeremy Maclin tampering charges) and added Chris Jones, a talented but inconsistent defensive tackle. Slight reach, but not bad. K.C. went right after needs with the next few picks: Keivarae Russell and Eric Murray at cornerback, Parker Ehinger at guard. Good need fits, and Murray could be a steal. I once saw him going far higher. Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill are developmental options in the passing game, with Robinson having the more proven track record. Andy Reid loves to draft quarterbacks (as he should) and Kevin Hogan is the one this year. Not an exciting draft, but the Chiefs hit needs pretty well.

Oakland Raiders: B+
Top needs: DL, ILB, DB, RB

Reggie McKenzie is on a roll. After free agency you could make the argument the Raiders have one of the top five offensive lines in football, and they needed to do some work on defense (even with the addition of Bruce Irvin). Karl Joseph is a stud at safety, my No. 13 player overall, and the Raiders got him with the 14th pick. Jihad Ward has first-round talent and they got him in Round 2. Shilique Calhoun can rush the passer and has a lot of production to point to. That's a solid Round 3 value.

In moving up for Connor Cook in Round 4, the Raiders jumped in front of both Dallas and Kansas City, two teams I think could have picked him. That's good maneuvering and not only does he provide some insurance against a Derek Carr injury, he's a guy who could become a valuable trade chip. I like the addition of DeAndre Washington, because not only can he play, this is the right range to go after potential running back starters. Ultimately, a solid draft. I know we tend to overestimate how much rookies can help a team, but the defense in particular looks better.

San Diego Chargers: B-
Top needs: OT, DL, S, TE

This is a tricky one, because I think they added some really good players, but there were a couple of need areas that largely weren't addressed. Joey Bosa is a great player, and I'm not at all worried about fit -- their coaches told me they were in sub-packages roughly 70 percent of the time last season, and they just added a versatile player who can move all over and be effective. Hunter Henry is the top tight end on my board in an admittedly weak class, and a useful weapon for Philip Rivers, and Max Tuerk could end up starting at center. Joshua Perry is a reasonable value and a potential starter at linebacker -- the guy has great instincts. Jatavis Brown is a favorite of mine (and Todd's) and could develop into a pretty good player, and they got my top punter in Drew Kaser.

So, the question: I'm surprised they didn't add an offensive tackle at any point (or two) after the problems of the last few seasons on the O-line. Is the protection going to be any better? They could also use a safety. Pretty good draft overall, with needs the one question.
So according to Kiper, we got the best rookie QB in the AFCW.. And he's our backup!! Gives us your 1st round pick and we will trade him to you.. ;)

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So according to Kiper, we got the best rookie QB in the AFCW.. And he's our backup!! Gives us your 1st round pick and we will trade him to you.. ;)

No, he said he had Cook ranked above Lynch. Cook was drafted by Oakland.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
So here's the conundrum.
GMs are admired for drafting best player available and at the same time given a low grade for not filling needs

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he said he had Cook ranked above Lynch. Cook was drafted by Oakland.
He had Cook rated above Lynch, which means he thinks Cook is better.. And Cook cost us a 4th round pick..
When Cook shines for us in preseason, the bidding will start at a 1st round pick..

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed that it did not paste the grades

AFC EAST
Buffalo: B
Miami: B+
New England: C+
New York Jets: B-

AFC NORTH
Baltimore: A
Cincinnati: A-
Cleveland: C
Pittsburgh: B

AFC SOUTH
Houston: B+
Indianapolis: B
Jacksonville: A
Tennessee: A-

AFC WEST
Denver: B-
Kansas City: B-
Oakland: B+
San Diego: B-

NFC EAST
Dallas: C
New York Giants: B+
Philadelphia: C
Washington: A-

NFC NORTH
Chicago: A-
Detroit: B-
Green Bay: B
Minnesota: B-

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta: B-
Carolina: C+
New Orleans: B-
Tampa Bay: B-

NFC WEST
Arizona: B-
Los Angeles: B-
San Francisco: C
Seattle: B+

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's the conundrum.
GMs are admired for drafting best player available and at the same time given a low grade for not filling needs
Yup, fill needs without reaching is the ideal.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of listening him during the draft(always watch NFL network), but i do like reading his opinions on the picks. Thanks for posting this up.