• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Garnett: ‘I don’t think guys from 20 years ago could play in this game’

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that Brother. I don't spend much time on this site anymore because everything is a political shit show these days, both ways. Have made some lifelong friends over here though.

Obviously I lean left but I am finding the PF less and less interesting every day. It's just been such a turbulent past 15 to 20 years and everyone is so jaded over it all.

Sports is one of those things that generally can stay free of that (until lately) and we can all argue on eras etc.

On this one I'm in the middle. I agree with Trojan that the 80s seemed to (I remember the 80s but not to the detail that I'd consider myself an expert) be the best blend of offense and defense.

This discussion has made me reflect on the beauty that the one on one post matchups had and I gotta say I do miss them.

With that said however I very much enjoy the product now and it is imo better than the early 2000s which is what forced these changes. The NBA really had no choice but I think we do need another correction to the game. Scores are getting too high now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I lean left but I am finding the PF less and less interesting every day. It's just been such a turbulent past 15 to 20 years and everyone is so jaded over it all.

Sports is one of those things that generally can stay free of that (until lately) and we can all argue on eras etc.

On this one I'm in the middle. I agree with Trojan that the 80s seemed to (I remember the 80s but not to the detail that I'd consider myself an expert) be the best blend of offense and defense.

This discussion has made me reflect on the beauty that the one on one post matchups had and I gotta say I do miss them.

With that said however I very much enjoy the product now and it is imo better than the early 2000s which is what forced these changes. The NBA really had no choice but I think we do need another correction to the game. Scores are getting too high now.
Agree with most of this but what's wrong with high scores? There's still defense it's just different, the best D's still keep the scores lower than the current average.

It would be nice to find a way to bring back the mid range game and post play but not sure how without changing too much for the worse. Maybe make 3s count for only 2.5 LOL

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of this but what's wrong with high scores? There's still defense it's just different, the best D's still keep the scores lower than the current average.

It would be nice to find a way to bring back the mid range game and post play but not sure how without changing too much for the worse. Maybe make 3s count for only 2.5 LOL

I don't know honestly. First reaction would be to move the line back but with analytics they probably still consider the 3 a better shot. There are games (moreso in college tho) that turn into glorified three point shooting contests.

The NBA is still a very good product. So if they did nothing I'd understand

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know honestly. First reaction would be to move the line back but with analytics they probably still consider the 3 a better shot. There are games (moreso in college tho) that turn into glorified three point shooting contests.

The NBA is still a very good product. So if they did nothing I'd understand
Problem with moving the 3 line back is it creates even more wide open space inside, no way to defend all the way out to there. It's hard enough now LOL. Which is one reason why your buddy is wrong about Shaq

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with moving the 3 line back is it creates even more wide open space inside, no way to defend all the way out to there. It's hard enough now LOL. Which is one reason why your buddy is wrong about Shaq

That's a good point. We are definitely in an interesting time. The other way would be to allow more physical play but I really doubt that would happen.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would help to move the 3 point line back a little more. Allow some hand checking, you can let guys defend without putting them on the ground if they take it inside like the old days. And without a doubt, call every legit travel. There would be a lot more passing if guys couldn't take 3 and 4 steps

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK is good peeps. Does the mock drafts so he spends hours over a year looking at this type of stuff.

Lots of people share his opinion.

Well, he doesn’t understand the modern game at all. And in all honesty, quite a few of those mock draft participants are old school apologists. Participating in those doesn’t require knowledge of how the game is players per say, but knowledge of stats and accolades.

The reasons for Shaq not being as dominant were clearly laid out for him, and he didn’t respond with a single counter point.

The rules of the game have changed to favor skill more than ever before. Shaq was so dominant because of brute force and power. Modern rules clearly don’t favor that style of play.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he doesn’t understand the modern game at all. And in all honesty, quite a few of those mock draft participants are old school apologists. Participating in those doesn’t require knowledge of how the game is players per say, but knowledge of stats and accolades.

The reasons for Shaq not being as dominant were clearly laid out for him, and he didn’t respond with a single counter point.

The rules of the game have changed to favor skill more than ever before. Shaq was so dominant because of brute force and power. Modern rules clearly don’t favor that style of play.

Obviously I lean more towards favoring today's game and understanding how the rules work but I also think this thread has shown some overkill in the other direction. Not as much regards to Shaq but more in the idea so many of the older era athletes just simply couldn't compete.

The rules today don't favor traditional style bigs. And even with that I'm absolutely dumbfounded how Drummond has so little value.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I lean more towards favoring today's game and understanding how the rules work but I also think this thread has shown some overkill in the other direction. Not as much regards to Shaq but more in the idea so many of the older era athletes just simply couldn't compete.

The rules today don't favor traditional style bigs. And even with that I'm absolutely dumbfounded how Drummond has so little value.

Yeah, no reasonable poster said that about players from 90s and 2000s.

If we are doing hot tub time machine, any good player from that era could still be in the league, just a lot wouldn’t be as good. Some guys like Dell Curry, Reggie Miller, etc. might actually be better suited for this era.

And yeah, many role players from then would not make it today.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no reasonable poster said that about players from 90s and 2000s.

If we are doing hot tub time machine, any good player from that era could still be in the league, just a lot wouldn’t be as good. Some guys like Dell Curry, Reggie Miller, etc. might actually be better suited for this era.

And yeah, many role players from then would not make it today.

Just as there are guys now that wouldn't make it then. But same thing applies...successful bigs had to have a solid post up game back then. Now they don't. They would work on that skill now if it was as necessary.

In regards to 3 point shooting you would have had a whole slew of guys work on that aspect of their game back then. An example we already used was Griffin. If he could do it why couldn't a bunch of guys then?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as there are guys now that wouldn't make it then. But same thing applies...successful bigs had to have a solid post up game back then. Now they don't. They would work on that skill now if it was as necessary.

In regards to 3 point shooting you would have had a whole slew of guys work on that aspect of their game back then. An example we already used was Griffin. If he could do it why couldn't a bunch of guys then?

Yeah, I agree with that.

Specially with Shaq though, aside from keeping that extra weight off and staying trim, what skill is he adding?

He handled the ball and passed very well, but when you can’t shoot, you don’t have to be guarded outside the paint. And I don’t believe Shaq would have been able to develop a reliable jumper. He was just too terrible at that aspect of the game.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with that.

Specially with Shaq though, aside from keeping that extra weight off and staying trim, what skill is he adding?

He handled the ball and passed very well, but when you can’t shoot, you don’t have to be guarded outside the paint. And I don’t believe Shaq would have been able to develop a reliable jumper. He was just too terrible at that aspect of the game.

I agree Shaq would still be a one trick pony. But he's as good as anyone at it. He probably would cause some flow issues

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know more about the game than you ever will.

kobe bryant laughing GIF

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was, because that troll posts negatively on every non liberal on the politics thread.

lol

So a post on the NBA board that has nothing to with politics...somehow reflects negatively on non-liberals in the politics forum.

It's probably about time for you to run along.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has literally said nothing that would support this.
If you asked Shaq himsellf he'd probably tell you he'd be fine because guys couldn't be as physical with him now as they were. It would be interesting to see how he'd do.

So with that said there are a lot of fans that feel as UK does. That's all i was saying. I've generally had good interactions with UK is all I was saying. He's not like GNG just coming in to stir up shit.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you asked Shaq himsellf he'd probably tell you he'd be fine because guys couldn't be as physical with him now as they were. It would be interesting to see how he'd do.

So with that said there are a lot of fans that feel as UK does. That's all i was saying. I've generally had good interactions with UK is all I was saying. He's not like GNG just coming in to stir up shit.

I don’t think he is doing that either. But that doesn’t him, or those other fans correct.

I remember Wilt Chamberlain being quoted sometime in the 90s I believe saying he would average 70 per game in the modern league. And Russell agreed with him!

Former players are usually completely delusional when it comes to their abilities vs. current players.

Which is why I find it refreshing to see comments from guys like KG and Kerr who say exactly the opposite.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think he is doing that either. But that doesn’t him, or those other fans correct.

I remember Wilt Chamberlain being quoted sometime in the 90s I believe saying he would average 70 per game in the modern league. And Russell agreed with him!

Former players are usually completely delusional when it comes to their abilities vs. current players.

Which is why I find it refreshing to see comments from guys like KG and Kerr who say exactly the opposite.

Russell is the most overrated player in the history of the league. He dominated smaller players and played on a grossly stacked team. His shooting stats are horrific. He was a fantastic athlete but it would be like WCS playing in the 50s basically. Wilt was just being dumb. An all timer but again his competition was trash compared to later eras.