• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Garnett: ‘I don’t think guys from 20 years ago could play in this game’

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defenisve three seconds as well as rhe fact defenses can cheat towards a big better than they used to and force the ball out of their hand easier. As well as needing bigs to be able to bring their guy away from the hoop. If they don't warrant that attention that changes how defenses adapt to them.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the question is WHY did the league go from big man dominated to guard dominated?
Part players understanding the advanced analytics better and making the more intelligent play(Most Players, DeAngelo Russel is hot garbage). Other part changing of how defense is allowed. No hand checking means players have to play further off their man, leaving more open shots and lanes to get to the basket.

I think it is a matter of time before it switches back. Basketball will always favor height, and instead of them fading away, bigs are starting to add the skills of a guard.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be a huge defensive liability. But his offense would be almost as productive. It's not like you need your 5 to be able to drill threes but it's helpful.

I don't think he'd be a huge defensive liability. But he wouldn't be as god as he was in his era. He would still be a monster in the paint and protecting the rim.

Also, his inability to defend the pick and roll is a bit overblown. His problem with it was more being lazy/hating having to defend it than not being able to. Especially when he was in Orlando and during his first few years with the Lakers. Later in his career, it was more about not being able to do it anymore.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the question is WHY did the league go from big man dominated to guard dominated?

Rule changes are a lot of it, maybe even most of it. Rule changes made the league less physical which favors smaller, quicker players. It's easier for a guy Steph Curry's size to drive to the basket when he knows the 7 footer in the paint can't make him pay for it.

Kind of make you marvel at guys like Iverson who were attacking the rim when it could get you killed. lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part players understanding the advanced analytics better and making the more intelligent play(Most Players, DeAngelo Russel is hot garbage). Other part changing of how defense is allowed. No hand checking means players have to play further off their man, leaving more open shots and lanes to get to the basket.

I think it is a matter of time before it switches back. Basketball will always favor height, and instead of them fading away, bigs are starting to add the skills of a guard.

One thing I could see the league doing is calling more moving picks. They are pretty rampant at the perimeter and wind up with either a wide open shot or a foul called on the defender. If the league starts locking down on those plays, we won't see as many PnRs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule changes are a lot of it, maybe even most of it. Rule changes made the league less physical which favors smaller, quicker players. It's easier for a guy Steph Curry's size to drive to the basket when he knows the 7 footer in the paint can't make him pay for it.

Yup. If Laimbeer were time warped to the game today, he would be given a basketball death penalty for his antics.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of make you marvel at guys like Iverson who were attacking the rim when it could get you killed. lol

Illegal defense rule changes are way more impactful than hand checking.

Hand checking does not make that much difference.

Floor spacing is what makes driving so much easier today.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a serious question?

He was a lifetime 32% 3 point shooter. I literally barely remember him on the offensive side of the ball.

Laimbeer would be ejected in more games than he would have hit a 3 in.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a lifetime 32% 3 point shooter. I literally barely remember him on the offensive side of the ball.

Laimbeer would be ejected in more games than he would have hit a 3 in.

Yea with a career that started 40 years ago. Jordan's yearly percentages often weren't very good either. Stands to reason he'd have shot closer to his 37 percent he shot as a 36 year old with today's focus.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea with a career that started 40 years ago. Jordan's yearly percentages often weren't very good either. Stands to reason he'd have shot closer to his 37 percent he shot as a 36 year old with today's focus.

Or maybe he would struggle because defenses today wouldn't just concede the 3 to him?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe he would struggle because defenses today wouldn't just concede the 3 to him?

I think you could've picked just about any other big from that era and had better luck with this argument honestly.

I agree with that on premise. That a lot of the bigs from then would struggle with the rules of today's game. He just happened to be ahead of his time.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember him shooting 3's. Back then, a 7 footer doing it was pretty remarkable.

I mentioned it when I watched it last but Isiah and James Worthy going over the 88 finals was must see television.

I was a very early adapter to sports so I am lucky to have decent memory recollection of this stuff but Bill popping out for a 3 was a big part of Detroit success that allowed spacing for Isiah.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also unsung hero to that Pistons team was James Edwards. He had a nice short mid range game that drew his defender away and allowed Dennis to go HAM on the boards. Salley as a young player could guard 3 to 5 and some shooting guards. Just a lot of pieces that fit well together.

I'm forcing this conversation because I'm absolutely disgusted with this year's team lol