• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Garnett: ‘I don’t think guys from 20 years ago could play in this game’

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why so many people get so worked up about this.

Take any player from the 1995 season and plop him into the league today and he would struggle. He would routinely foul out. He would routinely get hit with flagrant fouls for things that wouldn't even get called in 1995. They would all struggle with positioning. The big guys would REALLY struggle. I think just about every one of them would be shocked at how effective players were today at shooting off the pick and roll or pick and pop. Defenders back then would just assume that a player running a PnR was planning to drive to the hoop and they would go underneath.

The GREAT players would adapt and still be very good. But it would take time for them. And those players would also realize that the overall talent level of the league today is much different due to the massive influx of talent from around the world.

FTR, lots of players today would struggle with playing in the 90s style of basketball. The physical nature of the game back then would have been really tough for a lot of these guys to deal with.

Doesn't make the game better or worse today. Just different.
I understand what you say is true about your standard NBA player. But when you start talking about the Dream Team you are talking about many of the best of all time. They showed that they could quickly adapt their games, as international play was completely different than the NBA at the time, and still be dominant. Yes, the international field was awestruck and not as talented, but I don't think that team would really struggle in the modern game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you say is true about your standard NBA player. But when you start talking about the Dream Team you are talking about many of the best of all time. They showed that they could quickly adapt their games, as international play was completely different than the NBA at the time, and still be dominant. Yes, the international field was awestruck and not as talented, but I don't think that team would really struggle in the modern game.

The Hall of Famers would struggle initially but adapt. Although I'm not really sure how someone like Barkley would do in the modern game. IMO, one of the biggest differences with the game today is how much perimeter shooting the bigs are expected to do today.

Bigs can no longer park it in the paint and wait for the ball to come to them. OTOH, they would also face a lot more double teams than they did back in the day because of how defense is played today.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember KG winning any brainiac awards?
200.gif

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be a blanket statement for all players. You have a few that would still stand out. You remove hand Checking from Jordan and he is unstoppable, Horry is the original 3 and D player, he would plug in right away, and be valued way more for it, Dream would adapt without issue.

Lot's of players would be fine, or even better. I do think a larger percentage would not fit in though. I think it is amusing for KG to make this claim, as he was the guy that started the big transition in the first place. He took way more long twos, but prime KG in the league now? He takes the step back and hits a high volume of 3's. KG Made 1400 long twos against 174 3's.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be a blanket statement for all players. You have a few that would still stand out. You remove hand Checking from Jordan and he is unstoppable, Horry is the original 3 and D player, he would plug in right away, and be valued way more for it, Dream would adapt without issue.

Lot's of players would be fine, or even better. I do think a larger percentage would not fit in though. I think it is amusing for KG to make this claim, as he was the guy that started the big transition in the first place. He took way more long twos, but prime KG in the league now? He takes the step back and hits a high volume of 3's. KG Made 1400 long twos against 174 3's.

The biggest value changer for big men is not the shooting, IMO, it is defensively.

Big men are a liability today if they can’t defend in space. 25 years ago, they were mostly asked to play post D and protect the rim. Guarding pick and roll is absolutely essential today.

Guys like David Robinson, Hakeem and KG would be great modern night defenders because of their mobility. Guys like Shaq and Ewing would get exposed a bit defensively in the modern game. Orlando Shaq would have had a better chance.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest value changer for big men is not the shooting, IMO, it is defensively.

Big men are a liability today if they can’t defend in space. 25 years ago, they were mostly asked to play post D and protect the rim. Guarding pick and roll is absolutely essential today.

Guys like David Robinson, Hakeem and KG would be great modern night defenders because of their mobility. Guys like Shaq and Ewing would get exposed a bit defensively in the modern game. Orlando Shaq would have had a better chance.
They need to defend in space is, in large part, because hand checking is not allowed. Perimeter defenders now have to leave more cushion on their man because they are limited on defense, which in turn requires big man to be required to be able to step out in space when the D breaks down. That needed cushion is also a large part of the 3 point accuracy boom.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to defend in space is, in large part, because hand checking is not allowed. Perimeter defenders now have to leave more cushion on their man because they are limited on defense, which in turn requires big man to be required to be able to step out in space when the D breaks down. That needed cushion is also a large part of the 3 point accuracy boom.

No, it is because of pick and roll based offense and the skill level of the ball handlers.

The impact of hand checking is wildly overstated.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it is because of pick and roll based offense and the skill level of the ball handlers.

Sure, the entire league shifted from big man dominated to guard dominated with the rule change. Nash went from borderline All Star to 2x MVP in his 30's . On the other side you said no and backed it with nothing......seems like a coin toss.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else who thinks SHAQ would not have the same impact on the game today as he did in his day, simply because he could not shoot a 3 is ......

LOCO EN LA CABEZA...

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hall of Famers would struggle initially but adapt. Although I'm not really sure how someone like Barkley would do in the modern game. IMO, one of the biggest differences with the game today is how much perimeter shooting the bigs are expected to do today.

Bigs can no longer park it in the paint and wait for the ball to come to them. OTOH, they would also face a lot more double teams than they did back in the day because of how defense is played today.

If anything Barkley would fit perfectly on a Rockets with D'Antoni offense.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else who thinks SHAQ would not have the same impact on the game today as he did in his day, simply because he could not shoot a 3 is ......

LOCO EN LA CABEZA...

He'd be a huge defensive liability. But his offense would be almost as productive. It's not like you need your 5 to be able to drill threes but it's helpful.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hand checking is wiped out by the ability to zone.

If Russ competed in the no zone era he'd have been unstoppable.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be a huge defensive liability. But his offense would be almost as productive. It's not like you need your 5 to be able to drill threes but it's helpful.
defense doesn’t seem to be the priority in the NBA these days...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, the entire league shifted from big man dominated to guard dominated with the rule change. Nash went from borderline All Star to 2x MVP in his 30's . On the other side you said no and backed it with nothing......seems like a coin toss.

So the question is WHY did the league go from big man dominated to guard dominated?