• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keeping the window open!

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We all know, there is a window of opportunity in the NFL that doesn't last long. Salary cap restrictions make teams gamble every off season. Teams like the Patriots are looking to extend their window, while other teams like Cincinnati are just trying to get it opened and start their run of success...

Thinking about this off-season and also the last couple of off-seasons under GM Trent Baalke, it seems like every move he makes is intended on keeping the 49ers window open as long as possible. Everything he does is some what out of the normal, yet it makes perfect sense. His model for success is to build through the draft. Easier said then done, right? But when you think about it, he has done a masterful job of stockpiling draft picks. He has shied away from high priced free agents, and has not been afraid to let players like Dashon Goldson and Delanie Walker hit the open market. Subsequently he has manipulated the compensatory draft pick rules of the NFL to his advantage. He is also determined to get something out of nothing. Trading players who would normally just be released for compensation has also helped land more picks.

His relationship and obvious open communication with Jim Harbaugh allows for good in-house decisions. Locking up the most critical players often at below open market prices has played out well thus far. Just another way he has maximized what is on the table. When a decision is made to part ways with a player, he often has a younger or more affordable player waiting in the wings. Or he has been willing to gamble on filling immediate needs through the draft or through trades. Some don't agree with that philosophy, but bad decisions can be more costly in free agency, especially if a high priced acquisition doesn't pan out. Of course he can't and doesn't hit on all of his draft picks. But when it is apparent that a player that he has drafted is not the right fit, he has showed fearlessness by parting ways with his bad decision when others in the league might not have.

Realistically, the size and length of an open window in the NFL often hinges on a good QB. And Baalke was not afraid to move up in the 2011 draft to get his guy. The feeling is that Baalke absolutely hit a home run by drafting Colin Kaepernick. This will go a long way in determining how long the 49ers window of success will be open. To go along with the drafting of Kaepernick and just as important is the fact that Baalke hired one of the top and more modern QB guru's in the land. Hiring Jim Harbaugh has payed dividends ten-fold, and all signs seem to point toward success and a firm foundation for years to come.

So far Trent Baalke seems to be covering all of his bases. It appears he recognizes what it takes to sustain long term success in the NFL, and I think 49ers organization is extremely fortunate to have such a cutting-edge General Manager in the fold...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Back in the day, when I used to play Madden, I always played franchise mode. Oddly enough I used to run my team the same way Baalke runs the 49ers. I was always making trades and stockpiling draft picks, and I rarely went near free agency. I only broke the bank for players that were cornerstones of my teams. And I was always dominate in doing so. I used to think to myself, if only it were this easy in real life...

BTW, feel free to pick apart my OP... lol

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn we might have 4 3rd rd picks. We can 100% move back into the 1st or early 2nd rd pick or if KC wins 8 games we would have 3 3rd rd picks and 2 2nd. We are going to have some fire power. Wouldn't shock me if we end up with 2 1st rd picks or we move in the teens again like we did this year and grab a WR or a DE or a Top CB.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Back in the day, when I used to play Madden, I always played franchise mode. Oddly enough I used to run my team the same way Baalke runs the 49ers. I was always making trades and stockpiling draft picks, and I rarely went near free agency. I only broke the bank for players that were cornerstones of my teams. And I was always dominate in doing so. I used to think to myself, if only it were this easy in real life...

Baalke probably played Madden too. Franchise mode Madden = NFL GM training. :-)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know, there is a window of opportunity in the NFL that doesn't last long. Salary cap restrictions make teams gamble every off season. Teams like the Patriots are looking to extend their window, while other teams like Cincinnati are just trying to get it opened and start their run of success...

Thinking about this off-season and also the last couple of off-seasons under GM Trent Baalke, it seems like every move he makes is intended on keeping the 49ers window open as long as possible. Everything he does is some what out of the normal, yet it makes perfect sense. His model for success is to build through the draft. Easier said then done, right? But when you think about it, he has done a masterful job of stockpiling draft picks. He has shied away from high priced free agents, and has not been afraid to let players like Dashon Goldson and Delanie Walker hit the open market. Subsequently he has manipulated the compensatory draft pick rules of the NFL to his advantage. He is also determined to get something out of nothing. Trading players who would normally just be released for compensation has also helped land more picks.

His relationship and obvious open communication with Jim Harbaugh allows for good in-house decisions. Locking up the most critical players often at below open market prices has played out well thus far. Just another way he has maximized what is on the table. When a decision is made to part ways with a player, he often has a younger or more affordable player waiting in the wings. Or he has been willing to gamble on filling immediate needs through the draft or through trades. Some don't agree with that philosophy, but bad decisions can be more costly in free agency, especially if a high priced acquisition doesn't pan out. Of course he can't and doesn't hit on all of his draft picks. But when it is apparent that a player that he has drafted is not the right fit, he has showed fearlessness by parting ways with his bad decision when others in the league might not have.

Realistically, the size and length of an open window in the NFL often hinges on a good QB. And Baalke was not afraid to move up in the 2011 draft to get his guy. The feeling is that Baalke absolutely hit a home run by drafting Colin Kaepernick. This will go a long way in determining how long the 49ers window of success will be open. To go along with the drafting of Kaepernick and just as important is the fact that Baalke hired one of the top and more modern QB guru's in the land. Hiring Jim Harbaugh has payed dividends ten-fold, and all signs seem to point toward success and a firm foundation for years to come.

So far Trent Baalke seems to be covering all of his bases. It appears he recognizes what it takes to sustain long term success in the NFL, and I think 49ers organization is extremely fortunate to have such a cutting-edge General Manager in the fold...

Let's just hope Baalke's got that horrendous draft from 2012 out of his system. The team could not withstand another one like it.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's just hope Baalke's got that horrendous draft from 2012 out of his system. The team could not withstand another one like it.

He really did roll the dice on his 2012 picks...

But again, he hasn't been afraid to move on from any of those picks either. They didn't pan out, so he went in a different direction. He didn't dwell on it, or force a square peg into a round hole. He simply got what he could in trades and moved on...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really did roll the dice on his 2012 picks...

But again, he hasn't been afraid to move on from any of those picks either. They didn't pan out, so he went in a different direction. He didn't dwell on it, or force a square peg into a round hole. He simply got what he could in trades and moved on...

True. The 49ers were famous for that. One year they wanted a DB and when Phillip Buchanon and Ed Reed were gone they stubbornly took Mile Rumph. When they wanted a receiver and the guys they wanted were gone they stubbornly chose Rashaun Woods and when they could not trick anyone into taking the first pick they stubbornly chose Alex Smith even though everyone knew he couldn't play. They paid dearly for mistakes like that. I hope Baalke has learned his lesson.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i always traded away my picks

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday it was:

Yep. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 49ers know what they ae doing.

Today it's:

And:

True. The 49ers were famous for that. One year they wanted a DB and when Phillip Buchanon and Ed Reed were gone they stubbornly took Mile Rumph. When they wanted a receiver and the guys they wanted were gone they stubbornly chose Rashaun Woods and when they could not trick anyone into taking the first pick they stubbornly chose Alex Smith even though everyone knew he couldn't play. They paid dearly for mistakes like that. I hope Baalke has learned his lesson.

I mean, Baalke didn't even make any of those picks.

Please stop. Or, if you're going to troll, at least make it funny or worthwhile to read.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday it was:

Today it's:

And:

I mean, Baalke didn't even make any of those picks.

Please stop. Or, if you're going to troll, at least make it funny or worthwhile to read.

No shit stooge! Our point was that this is a different regime; one that we trust. Your posts are a pathetic cry for attention, go back to lurking.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit stooge! Our point was that this is a different regime; one that we trust. Your posts are a pathetic cry for attention, go back to lurking.

In a thread criticizing the current regime (for trading Cam) you'll tell everyone they're wrong. Then the next day in a thread praising the current regime you point to their mistakes and potential failings to poop on everyone's party.

You're obviously here to rain on everyone's parade, rile them up and get attention by saying something negative or contrarian. This is ignoring the blatantly racist shit you spew. Go away.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a thread criticizing the current regime (for trading Cam) you'll tell everyone they're wrong. Then the next day in a thread praising the current regime you point to their mistakes and potential failings to poop on everyone's party.

You're obviously here to rain on everyone's parade, rile them up and get attention by saying something negative or contrarian. This is ignoring the blatantly racist shit you spew. Go away.

Your participation on this board is pointless if you cannot comprehend properly what you read. Please stooge, I beg you, go back to lurking before you embarrass yourself any further.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sure it could. Especially if guys like Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial pan out. Completely blowing a draft class will always hurt, but this team can withstand something like that in the short term. Especially if the blown drafts are mingled with great drafts.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we really dont have a spot for cam. good that they turned the pick into something of value.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it could. Especially if guys like Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial pan out. Completely blowing a draft class will always hurt, but this team can withstand something like that in the short term. Especially if the blown drafts are mingled with great drafts.

That's true, they have managed to stash a lot of guys away that could help later but to pretty much blow an entire draft again is going to hurt.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, they have managed to stash a lot of guys away that could help later but to pretty much blow an entire draft again is going to hurt.

shit happens. overal baalke has done a good job finding diamonds in the rough.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Examples?

Ian Williams, Bruce Miller, Kyle Williams, Cam Johnson, Daniel Kilgore, and Demarcus Dobbs come to mind. This isn't exactly a team that's primed for undrafted or late-round picks to make an impact given the overall talent level, but he's done a much better job than the previous regime of finding and developing (granted much of this may be the coaching staff) late-round picks and UDFA.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then you've got guys like Bowman, Boone, and Brooks who were backups or retreads who he showed faith in and have become impact players. Baalke didn't add all those guys, but he made moves that put them in position to start and have success, often in the face of considerable criticism and doubt.