• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KC Chiefs are peaking at the right time

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, NOW does anybody want to say something......LOL....2nd highest point total in CHIEFS HISTORY.....LOL...

It all about peaking at the right time....and the Cheifs weren't even good the first 8 games...lol...but NOW they are getting the offense down....to go with the defense and special teams.

Defense played dumber than shit and allowed penalties/sloppy play to compromise the defense. Granted, they got 5 Ints off of McGloin, but seriously? Peaking? Hell no.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no no, the Broncos have tougher schedule.
The Chiefs are lucky, the Broncos are great!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no no, the Broncos have tougher schedule.
The Chiefs are lucky, the Broncos are great!

It is basically the exact same schedule except

Chiefs get: Bills and Browns

Broncos get: Ravens and Pats

2 of the 3 losses the Broncos have came to opponents the Chiefs also have or will play. Are you trolling? Or are the Broncos lucky too.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is basically the exact same schedule except

Chiefs get: Bills and Browns

Broncos get: Ravens and Pats

2 of the 3 losses the Broncos have came to opponents the Chiefs also have or will play. Are you trolling? Or are the Broncos lucky too.

That is correct, my comment was a little tongue in cheek. Not much difference, but people glorify the Broncos and say the Chiefs are just chugging along, ready to choke down the stretch.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Raiders give up 7 TD passes to Nick Foles? Yeah, good measuring bar there

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is correct, my comment was a little tongue in cheek. Not much difference, but people glorify the Broncos and say the Chiefs are just chugging along, ready to choke down the stretch.

I see then, Poe's law wins again then.

ChiefsNuggetsSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now don't get me wrong, I am beyond happy to finally have that x by our name on the standing sheet, but with the way our defense looks without Houston right now is frightening. They do get extremely lazy when they are winning that is very obvious, They play a lot better in tight games on the defensive end. I was impressed with how we played on offense today, with no, McCluster, Fasano, or Big Jon Asa on the line. Charles looks like a man amongst boys out there today. I do agree the offensive is very well improved, because it had to be. Hali still looks slower out there then he was before the ankle sprain, so I hope he cleans that up, and I am totally okay with JH taking his time with that elbow.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense played dumber than shit and allowed penalties/sloppy play to compromise the defense. Granted, they got 5 Ints off of McGloin, but seriously? Peaking? Hell no.

this is a good, logical post.

The chiefs obviously have deficiencies and weaknesses in various areas and, against better opponents, those weaknesses are getting exposed. they've only played one team this entire season that currently has a winning record. They are 0-2 in those games. They've only played 2 teams with .500 records this season. They are 1-1 in those games.

Against sub.500 teams? They are 10-0.

They are taking care of business against inferior opponents but will they be able to put together all 3 facets of the game in January to make a playoff run against winning teams?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The chiefs obviously have deficiencies and weaknesses in various areas and, against better opponents, those weaknesses are getting exposed. they've only played one team this entire season that currently has a winning record. They are 0-2 in those games. They've only played 2 teams with .500 records this season. They are 1-1 in those games.

They are taking care of business against inferior opponents but will they be able to put together all 3 facets of the game in January to make a playoff run against winning teams?

To be fair though, that .500 team the Chiefs lost to is considered one of the top offenses (#2 last I checked) in the league. Obviously Denver is #1.

The scheme yesterday is probably most comparable to when KC played Buffalo defensively (soft zone waiting for a McGloin mistake) which mainly stems from the fact that this is McGloin's 5th start; and he is an UDFA. The result? Well, the defense got its fair share of TO's for a UDFA.

However, there is a much bigger difference between the previous comparison that should be accounted for, and that would be

A. McGloin is simply better than Tuel, period.

B. Penalties/Playing dumb on defense-- not necessarily tackling as one might say in the Buff game.

1. Kendrick Lewis drops a easy pick 6 on 3rd down, ok, it is 4th down! Nope, takes his helmet off- 15 yard penalty.

2. 4th down, Raiders are about to punt. But wait! The gunners are wide open, the punter recognizes this and a 4th down pass to the gunner is completed for a first down. I highly doubt that fake was called from the ST coach of Oak.

3. Zombo (LB) runs into the back of a receiver in the endzone for PI... Yeah, enough said about that.

4. Other miscellaneous and senseless penalties on defense to assist the Raiders offense.

C. 31 points> 13 points

I would say the scheme worked just fine given the gameplan was to sit and wait for a mistake rather than blitz and blitz often, sure enough McGloin fell apart eventually, the defense however kept themselves, and themselves only, on the field. The good news is penalties has generally not been a huge problem with the defense so I think this is easily correctable. I don't expect blown coverages on punts every game. --(passes, not punt coverage)-- However, I do want to point out that this soft coverage with so many DB's better not be implemented against a good QB (unless forced to) or there will be a problem. Which is where Houston comes in and theoretically alleviates some of the problems with a 4 man rush for KC right now. It will certainly be interesting going forward what KC will do, but I am not sounding the alarms exactly; especially with the offense showing continued progress.

I would be seriously concerned going forward if teams were truly complete in the NFL, but the truth is they aren't at all. NE for example is deficient on several positions and would probably be a losing club without Brady. Denver may have as prolific an offense as we have seen, but the Defense (while hurt and what not) has been uninspiring. Cincy and Indy moreso have been maddeningly inconsistent in their play as a whole as have the Chiefs to a certain extent as well. Then you have the deluge of highly questionable #6 seeds with their own holes. To be blunt, obviously this is not a complete team, but what is a complete team? Seattle?

I can't really think of one besides Seattle. Maybe SF with good QB and WR play? If you pose this question again and for whatever reason the Chiefs face either of those teams in the SB, I will be legitimately concerned about their chances in such a game. Otherwise, I feel KC will generally be fine and be able to compete and beat .500+/playoff teams this year and the immediate future.

Edit: Ranking for SD's offense was based on (VOA) NOT ppg. Just want to be clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that anyone would comment on the Chiefs recent offensive explosion/defensive deficiency in any manner since that is the same way Denver has played ALL year yet we consider them to be the SB favorite in the AFC.... Anyway. KCs offense is looking great, D is looking susceptible but the good news is that once they get their guys back and 100% healthy they should improve on that side of the ball. IF their O maintains its current pace they will be a tough out in the playoffs.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would of helped if they could of peaked in one of the 2 games against denver..

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for the Chiefs is that it's likely they'll have to win 3 road games to get to the Super Bowl. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only team that's ever done that is the 2005 Steelers. So it's possible, but it certainly isn't easy.

The other issue is that they don't have the playoff pedigree that a team like the Ravens had last season. For most guys on that team they will be playing in either their first or second playoff game of their lives, and most haven't won one. So will they be able to step up to another level that's required to win in the playoffs? That remains to be seen.

That said, the Chiefs are a good team and I believe they will be a very tough out. They may be the second best team in the AFC.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that anyone would comment on the Chiefs recent offensive explosion/defensive deficiency in any manner since that is the same way Denver has played ALL year yet we consider them to be the SB favorite in the AFC.... Anyway. KCs offense is looking great, D is looking susceptible but the good news is that once they get their guys back and 100% healthy they should improve on that side of the ball. IF their O maintains its current pace they will be a tough out in the playoffs.

I think it depends on the week when it comes to the Broncos of whether the main stream media believes they are beatable or not. After beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead they were the cream of the crop. Then blow a 24 point game against New England and they are toast. Then put up another 50 point game against the Titans and they are back. Then lose to the Chargers at home and they are beatable. It really has been a week by week kind of thing lately. Which is about true for every team in the AFC. There really is no telling who is going to get hot come playoff time. To me the whole getting hot in December thing is a little overrated considering last year I think Baltimore went something like 1-4 then won the Super Bowl. So not sure any of us can tell anything of any of these teams in the AFC.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it's more a case of the Chiefs played the Raiders "at the right time."

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

0-2 against above .500 team(s)...it was 1 team, the same team, the best team in the league offensively, lol.....arguably almost every team in the league could go 0-2 against Denver, lol...yes, I will conceed Denver's offense is better than the Chiefs, lol...does that make everyone feel better, even though I never said anything to the contrary. Now back to the point, the Chiefs offense over the last 5 (FIVE) games has been better than ANY and ALL the games before, those 5 games, thus....the Chiefs offense is PEAKING...

Quit throwing in all the garbage stuff to delude the point...look at the Chiefs offensive numbers and get back to me where you see their offense peaking...feel free to graph all the weeks point totals..(hint, the high parts mean peak)

56 points and its because of defense...guess Charles and Smith's red zone and entire game play wasn't needed...so if the chiefs win its because of the defense? If they lose its because of not playing tough teams...got it, on point.

Yes, all the Chiefs wins were all at that specific opponents worst week of the season...it has nothing to do with anything the chiefs are doing...pure luck, all season long, lol

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for the Chiefs is that it's likely they'll have to win 3 road games to get to the Super Bowl. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only team that's ever done that is the 2005 Steelers. So it's possible, but it certainly isn't easy.

The other issue is that they don't have the playoff pedigree that a team like the Ravens had last season. For most guys on that team they will be playing in either their first or second playoff game of their lives, and most haven't won one. So will they be able to step up to another level that's required to win in the playoffs? That remains to be seen.

That said, the Chiefs are a good team and I believe they will be a very tough out. They may be the second best team in the AFC.

I think the Giants did it in one of their runs too. There may be others. Of course we are all assuming Denver doesnt lose gain right??? The team that played last week could conceivably drop another game even if they are playing Houston and Oakland since both of them are road games. That said I think it likely KC loses at least 1 more, probably week 17 at SD. The best case scenario for the Chiefs IMO is that they get the 5 seed, Baltimore gets the 6 and then the Chiefs may miss Denver until the AFC title game since I think Baltimore could beat Cincy or Indy in the first round.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants did it in one of their runs too. There may be others. Of course we are all assuming Denver doesnt lose gain right??? The team that played last week could conceivably drop another game even if they are playing Houston and Oakland since both of them are road games. That said I think it likely KC loses at least 1 more, probably week 17 at SD. The best case scenario for the Chiefs IMO is that they get the 5 seed, Baltimore gets the 6 and then the Chiefs may miss Denver until the AFC title game since I think Baltimore could beat Cincy or Indy in the first round.

Giants in 07 and packers in 2010 so 3 times in the salary cap era:suds:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Chiefs are sizzling hot right now...

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3