• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4 games in, time to choose: who are the surprise teams going to be this year?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners might need to be added to the 'bad surprise' list, the tough part of their schedule is still to come.

Is it too soon to call the Broncos surprisingly good?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year a couple teams that are supposed to be good are bad instead, and every year a couple are the opposite, teams that make the playoffs that are surprising etc. Often injuries are part of this.

4 games is enough to speculate (this isn't curing cancer here just sports chatter), we see how the teams look.

Better than expected: Vikings, Commanders (maybe Steelers?)

Worse than expected: Dolphins, Bengals (maybe Browns and/or Jaguars?)

What are your picks?
These are easy.

Better: Vikings and Commanders

Worst: Browns

I thought Jayden would be a baller but what he is doing in his rookie year is amazing and they have a solid team around him with some good pieces. The scary thing is they can do a lot better building around him and he is already playing so well. The kid just gets it. You can't teach the type of talent he already has.
Darnold has been a revelation and their defense is one of the best in the NFL.

The Browns suck. Watson sucks. The new scheme is a terribly, failed experiment that won't end anytime soon. The offense is easily the worst in the NFL too

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 405.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings are the surprise to me. They went out and signed a bunch of free agents for their D and those guys are playing their butts off. None of them are what you'd consider big splash signings, but they all play hard and do their job. It's amazing that none are big name guys, just guys that probably understand the scheme, their job and play together to get the job done. I honestly don't hate that...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are easy.

Better: Vikings and Commanders

Worst: Browns

I thought Jayden would be a baller but what he is doing in his rookie year is amazing and they have a solid team around him with some good pieces. The scary thing is they can do a lot better building around him and he is already playing so well. The kid just gets it. You can't teach the type of talent he already has.
Darnold has been a revelation and their defense is one of the best in the NFL.

The Browns suck. Watson sucks. The new scheme is a terribly, failed experiment that won't end anytime soon. The offense is easily the worst in the NFL too
Yeah I agree with all 3 of these. Are the Bengals and Jags also worse than expected?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings are the surprise to me. They went out and signed a bunch of free agents for their D and those guys are playing their butts off. None of them are what you'd consider big splash signings, but they all play hard and do their job. It's amazing that none are big name guys, just guys that probably understand the scheme, their job and play together to get the job done. I honestly don't hate that...

Our General Manager has been under fire because his drafts have not been good.

But he has absolutely knocked it out of the park when signing low value free agents. It literally is nutty at how good he has been at it. He hardly has missed at all and the bang we get for the buck has been incredible.

Defensive starters
Harrison Phillips.
Blake Cashman
Jonathan Greenard
Andre Van Ginkel
Stephon Gilmore
Shaquill Griffin
Byron Murphy

1 DT, 2 Edge defenders, a MLB, and the top 3 CB's on our defense.
All in free agency for what has been one of the better defenses in the league. And all for not a ton of money (not cheap....but not super expensive).

You throw Aaron Jones and Sam Darnold into that mix and that is 9 starters on bargain free agent contracts for a 5-0 team. And there are other non-starters that have contributed too.

Long and short they have figured out the FA market possibly better than any other team in the league. It really is what is going to save his job. Because his draft history is....um....spotty to say the least. Definitely something he needs to get better with. But if he can continue to fill out the roster

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our General Manager has been under fire because his drafts have not been good.

But he has absolutely knocked it out of the park when signing low value free agents. It literally is nutty at how good he has been at it. He hardly has missed at all and the bang we get for the buck has been incredible.

Defensive starters
Harrison Phillips.
Blake Cashman
Jonathan Greenard
Andre Van Ginkel
Stephon Gilmore
Shaquill Griffin
Byron Murphy

1 DT, 2 Edge defenders, a MLB, and the top 3 CB's on our defense.
All in free agency for what has been one of the better defenses in the league. And all for not a ton of money (not cheap....but not super expensive).

You throw Aaron Jones and Sam Darnold into that mix and that is 9 starters on bargain free agent contracts for a 5-0 team. And there are other non-starters that have contributed too.

Long and short they have figured out the FA market possibly better than any other team in the league. It really is what is going to save his job. Because his draft history is....um....spotty to say the least. Definitely something he needs to get better with. But if he can continue to fill out the roster
If he is that good with making moves and that bad at making picks then he sounds like he should be a member of the 'f them picks' club.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is that good with making moves and that bad at making picks then he sounds like he should be a member of the 'f them picks' club.

Well he kind of is in that club to a certain extent. We are missing our 3rd and 4th picks plus some later picks in the draft too already.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners might need to be added to the 'bad surprise' list, the tough part of their schedule is still to come.

Is it too soon to call the Broncos surprisingly good?
If the Niners lose next week then I think they're in serious trouble. 2-4 overall and 0-3 in division would be bad. If they beat Seattle then I think they're still in a decent spot because I dont really think the Cardinals are going to win the division and the Rams are dependent on some players getting and staying healthy.

Broncos being alright seems...right? Maybe if they win more than 9 games this year that would be a surprise. Sean Payton has a reputation, they have a defense, and they drafted an old QB.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners lose next week then I think they're in serious trouble. 2-4 overall and 0-3 in division would be bad. If they beat Seattle then I think they're still in a decent spot because I dont really think the Cardinals are going to win the division and the Rams are dependent on some players getting and staying healthy.
Backing in to winning a crappy division is still a big step down from SB favorites like many considered them. And as I said this is the easy part of their schedule where they should be at least 3-2 and really 4-1
Broncos being alright seems...right? Maybe if they win more than 9 games this year that would be a surprise. Sean Payton has a reputation, they have a defense, and they drafted an old QB.
Right, 3-2 is a start but they don't look obviously good the way Washington and Minnesota do