• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's Offseason Workout

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also, how is playing SS for the Texas Rangers helping Russell Wilson prepare for next season?

He has no work ethic and doesn't care about his team, clearly. End sarcasm

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahem:

I don't think the video is super disturbing or anything.

In the end though, my complaints might be more damning of the media than of Kap.

Look imac, you know I love ya baby but if you're going to be an insufferable pedantic twat to other posters and nit pick on little things you can't ignore glaring stuff like that.

If Crimson wants to get dragged into one of those imac thread hijacks I'm down with that but I'm going to wash my hands of this.

In summation: I don't think the article is a super big deal, it's annoying to hear how much he works on physical stuff when that's not going to make him better, it's probably the media's fault for just focusing on his physical stuff because they have a hard on for Kap's body.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think the video is super disturbing or anything.

My issue is this is the second offseason in a row that we hear about our Adonis' amazing physical prowess and virtually nothing about him working on his (big dumb drooling retard?) brain. Last year he was a workout warrior and he didn't play particularly well. So we have to read more workout warrior crap?

I doubt it's all he's working on. But is he working on it too much? At the expense of what he should be working on? I really don't know. But it's not the type of shit I want to read about. I get it, he fast. But he is he still scared of ghosts when standing in the pocket? Does he still think he only has one receiving option when he drops back?

In the end though, my complaints might be more damning of the media than of Kap.

I agree with much of your post, but I think this sort of thing is tough to work on at a camp. He can work on getting through progressions to an extent, but I think the best thing he can do right now is work on developing a crisp, sharp dropback, keeping his feet under him in the pocket, and tightening up his release so it's faster and more compact. Manning is all about footwork in terms of getting through his progressions. I think Kap's flat-footedness in the pocket slows down how quickly he goes through his progressions.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was t directed at your personally crimson sorry if it came off that way. Mostly just venting on all the sky is falling posts.

No worries, and I didn't read it as directed specifically at me. Obviously the video I posted is just a glimpse into Kap's summer. I just want to see him clean up his fundamentals, and this is the time to do it. I'd absolutely love to see that video.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, maybe stay up late at night brainstorming ways to counteract Roman's obvious attempts to sabatoge his QB/offense by making the presnap stuff too complex?

It's fun to blame all that stuff on the coaching staff but I'm not entirely convinced its their fault. Especially when Harbaugh downplays Kap's culpability. This is the same guy who defended AJ Jenkins after all.

True, it was an issue under Alex Smith so maybe it is just the system's fault. It seems to me to have become far worse under Kap, but that's probably just selective memory on my part after the emotional scarring of our last two playoff exits.

I'm not really sure broham. It would be nice to hear that someone is working to fix that problem though don't you think? Maybe it is all on the coaching staff and they can work it out during training camp.

As for his game clock time management issues- not really sure how he works on that but maybe there is some sort of drill that could be devised? He shouldn't be running out of bounds when he should stay in bounds and vice versa. Do you have any ideas for things he could do to work on that? Maybe you and I could brainstorm and email our suggestions to the 49ers?

I think you're on to something imac, good call eh!

Some people put the delay of game penalties on Kaepernick, while others put it on Roman. Either way its a problem. I tend to blame Roman for it. I go back to Alex Smith's same problems with the delays under Roman's guidance to conclude this. But this is a bigger issue than just the delay of game problems. This is all about Roman's failure to recognize the problem and fix it. Much like his in-game play calling, he is simply terrible at making adjustments. The delay of game thing is just a microcosm of what Roman is all about. Incapable of changing his ways, or re-inventing himself to suit the times or even the situation. Anybody with a shred of football IQ in them can see the delay of game penalties as a consistent problem under Roman, to the point that they have called out Roman and the 49ers offense on these blunders. Yet Roman is quite content to just keep forcing the square peg into the round hole. Again, maybe Kaepernick does have trouble processing Roman's 3-play selection on every down. And maybe Alex had the same problem. But honestly, if something is not working, wouldn't most coaches make adjustments to figure out the problem or abandoned it all together?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, how is playing SS for the Texas Rangers helping Russell Wilson prepare for next season?

I mean, you're talking about literally one day. Though I don't give a rat's ass what Wilson is doing. I do care what Kap is doing.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of your post, but I think this sort of thing is tough to work on at a camp. He can work on getting through progressions to an extent, but I think the best thing he can do right now is work on developing a crisp, sharp dropback, keeping his feet under him in the pocket, and tightening up his release so it's faster and more compact. Manning is all about footwork in terms of getting through his progressions. I think Kap's flat-footedness in the pocket slows down how quickly he goes through his progressions.

That's totally fair, and I think you're right that those types of physical things are probably the best thing he could be working on.

I do wonder if there is a drill that could be concocted to work on pocket awareness but I really have no idea.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not blaming the coaching staff, but the staff plays a role. Kaepernick is not allowed to work out with the coaching staff. I don't know if there's anything Kaep can work to improve the tempo without the staff. I'd rather not get busted for violating the CBA in March if we can avoid it.

I also disagree that the clock management has gotten worse under Kap. I think it was considerably worse under Smith, and felt that we made a lot of progress this year. How many Delay of Game penalties did we take in the NFCC game? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I also think your blowing in-play decision making (going out of bounds etc) out of proportion. How many plays this year did he unquestionably screw that up (as in a case cannot be made to defend his decision)?

Just the one. And I was wrong; it was 3rd and 1, not 3rd and 3. Because of the Lynch fumble, that one didn't do us in, but it easily could have.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's totally fair, and I think you're right that those types of physical things are probably the best thing he could be working on.

I do wonder if there is a drill that could be concocted to work on pocket awareness but I really have no idea.

Yeah, I've wondered that, too. I've seen coaches try throwing pads in the area of QBs, or running at them with brooms up to mimic raised hands, but it's tough cause you don't actually want to hit the QB, and the QB knows that in practice.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I mean, you're talking about literally one day. Though I don't give a rat's ass what Wilson is doing. I do care what Kap is doing.

And you have literally judged Kap's off-season based on a 2:42 second video.

For reference, your first post in the thread:
This kills me. Some real positives. He looks great, strong and fast. The guy who runs the program says he's the hardest worker he's ever seen, and is a natural leader. And some real negatives. Not a single shot of Kap throwing the football. No mention of him working on fundamentals or studying film. There is a reason that QBs don't typically go to camps like this. It's because they don't focus on the things that QBs need to work on in the offseason.

This is perhaps my greatest concern with Kap. I don't doubt his work ethic, his leadership ability, his intelligence, or his physical ability. I question whether he is working on his weaknesses. He should not look like a WR. He is already a top-5 running QB in the history of the league. He needs to maintain a baseline physical fitness level, but until his footwork, release, and vision are exceptional, those areas should receive the lion's share of his focus, even if it means he loses 0.1 seconds off his 40 time. I don't see him doing that, and it really worries me.

If you're worried about what you're NOT seeing, then your worries should spread past Kaepernick. As I said in an earlier post, the only two players I've seen any sort of coverage on in terms of off-season workouts are Kap and Cully. I've seen nothing that tells me what any of the coaches are doing to prep for next year.

Shouldn't you be concerned about what you have NOT seen from the rest of the players on the payroll?

If the assumption we're to draw from this video is that Kap is not working on anything under than strength/speed/agility because it's what we see, then that extrapolates to the rest of the team doing nothing.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people put the delay of game penalties on Kaepernick, while others put it on Roman. Either way its a problem. I tend to blame Roman for it. I go back to Alex Smith's same problems with the delays under Roman's guidance to conclude this. But this is a bigger issue than just the delay of game problems. This is all about Roman's failure to recognize the problem and fix it. Much like his in-game play calling, he is simply terrible at making adjustments. The delay of game thing is just a microcosm of what Roman is all about. Incapable of changing his ways, or re-inventing himself to suit the times or even the situation. Anybody with a shred of football IQ in them can see the delay of game penalties as a consistent problem under Roman, to the point that they have called out Roman and the 49ers offense on these blunders. Yet Roman is quite content to just keep forcing the square peg into the round hole. Again, maybe Kaepernick does have trouble processing Roman's 3-play selection on every down. And maybe Alex had the same problem. But honestly, if something is not working, wouldn't most coaches make adjustments to figure out the problem or abandoned it all together?

You might be totally right. And we will probably never know.

My problem with blaming Roman is that that means he's a total egomaniac who is blind to the problem. And that might be 100% accurate. But there is still Harbaugh right there in the middle. It's tough for me to believe that both those men don't see it as a problem.

So where does that leave us? If Roman is a blind egomaniac, then I would assume Harbaugh would intervene and get it fixed. But, if its Kap's problem...well, he's the last person who has anything to do with a play presnap and therefore it's much harder to iron out if he's the culprit. Also, I agree with Crimson that the problem has been exacerbated under Kap.

Again, the fact that Kap's culpability gets downplayed means nothing to me. This team is nothing if not protective of its players.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Put him on the field against 16 defenders with relentless pressure, give him a 5 foot pocket and tell him to find the open targets in 4 seconds?

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have literally judged Kap's off-season based on a 2:42 second video.

For reference, your first post in the thread:

If you're worried about what you're NOT seeing, then your worries should spread past Kaepernick. As I said in an earlier post, the only two players I've seen any sort of coverage on in terms of off-season workouts are Kap and Cully. I've seen nothing that tells me what any of the coaches are doing to prep for next year.

Shouldn't you be concerned about what you have NOT seen from the rest of the players on the payroll?

If the assumption we're to draw from this video is that Kap is not working on anything under than strength/speed/agility because it's what we see, then that extrapolates to the rest of the team doing nothing.

Exactly, I guess our entire team is nothing but a bunch of lazy bums who are off relaxing enjoying the offseason not working out and getting fat since we have literally seen zero shots of frank taking hand offs, or anquan running routes, or pwilly practicing his blitzing. Damn we are in for a long season :L

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You might be totally right. And we will probably never know.

My problem with blaming Roman is that that means he's a total egomaniac who is blind to the problem. And that might be 100% accurate. But there is still Harbaugh right there in the middle. It's tough for me to believe that both those men don't see it as a problem.

So where does that leave us? If Roman is a blind egomaniac, then I would assume Harbaugh would intervene and get it fixed. But, if its Kap's problem...well, he's the last person who has anything to do with a play presnap and therefore it's much harder to iron out if he's the culprit. Also, I agree with Crimson that the problem has been exacerbated under Kap.

Again, the fact that Kap's culpability gets downplayed means nothing to me. This team is nothing if not protective of its players.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

As far as the problem getting worse under Kaepernick, Crims would be correct to the tune of 10 DOG penalties under Smith compared to 13 under Kaepernick. But to be fair, Smith has been reading defenses far longer than Kaepernick has. But again, if it is such a glaring problem that only seems to get worse, why not find another way to get in the plays? Roman = :frusty:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

As far as the problem getting worse under Kaepernick, Crims would be correct to the tune of 10 DOG penalties under Smith compared to 13 under Kaepernick. But to be fair, Smith has been reading defenses far longer than Kaepernick has. But again, if it is such a glaring problem that only seems to get worse, why not find another way to get in the plays? Roman = :frusty:

DOG isn't the only consideration. It's the easy stat to track, but there is also the "wasted" time outs. Smith seemed to do a better job of burning time outs than Kap to save DOG penalties.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DOG isn't the only consideration. It's the easy stat to track, but there is also the "wasted" time outs. Smith seemed to do a better job of burning time outs than Kap to save DOG penalties.

This could be true...

I remember Smith using TO's to avoid DOG penalties as well, but maybe not as frequently as Kaepernick. I wasn't able to find any sort of concrete evidance on the net to make any realiable statement on the subject, though...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might be misremembering, but wasn't the long run by Smith and/or Vernon Post (the Catch III) from Chryst? There have been other big plays in the playoffs, and some maybe Roman's credit, but as you mention his lack of adjustments, it seems like a few (or maybe just one) big play was someone else. Not saying this means replace Roman but he's just ok (not just this play - other things that have been mentioned here, conservative offense, same run plays, etc.).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This could be true...

I remember Smith using TO's to avoid DOG penalties as well, but maybe not as frequently as Kaepernick. I wasn't able to find any sort of concrete evidance on the net to make any realiable statement on the subject, though...

I think we would find Smith used them more. Unfortunately, without going over every game it's impossible to know how many each QB used.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I might be misremembering, but wasn't the long run by Smith and/or Vernon Post (the Catch III) from Chryst? There have been other big plays in the playoffs, and some maybe Roman's credit, but as you mention his lack of adjustments, it seems like a few (or maybe just one) big play was someone else. Not saying this means replace Roman but he's just ok (not just this play - other things that have been mentioned here, conservative offense, same run plays, etc.).

He has his strengths, as well as his weaknesses...

Run designs- A
Run calls- B+
Pass designs- C-
Pass Calls- C-
In-game adjustments- C-
Overall adjustments- D+
Player utilization- C+

Feel free to add to the list or post your own grades (for fun of course)...

(obviously I'm just a lowly fan who knows very little, but this would be my take from afar after watching football for 25 years)

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has his strengths, as well as his weaknesses...

Run designs- A
Run calls- B+
Pass designs- C-
Pass Calls- C-
In-game adjustments- C-
Overall adjustments- D+
Player utilization- C+

Feel free to add to the list or post your own grades (for fun of course)...

(obviously I'm just a lowly fan who knows very little, but this would be my take from afar after watching football for 25 years)

Maybe this needs its own thread...

My bad :doh:

Back to the Kaepernick muscle photo's...