• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's Offseason Workout

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hate to be a linebacker tacking that!

Any questions about Kaeps work ethic were answered by his time at Nevada. He came in as a no-name, no "real" offer player and exited as one of the top prospects at QB his senior season. He's known as a grinder and is the main reason why I was so excited that the Niners drafted him.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not freaking out, but this is a concern I've had with Kaepernick for some time now, based on his play on the field and some comments he has made to the media. Studying film isn't exciting, but a QB dropping back and throwing is.

Again, either Barrows or Maiocco has said they don't think he's slacking off in that department.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again, either Barrows or Maiocco has said they don't think he's slacking off in that department.

It's not just film study for me. His dropback is among the worst in the league, and the only reason he gets away with his long delivery is because of the velocity he gets on the ball. But he telegraphs his passes badly. I would love to have seen him dropping back crisply and throwing a dart in there. Not to say it's not happening, but I have some questions about where he's putting the lion's share of his work.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm going to kindly disagree

He doesn't get hurt because he is quick to slide or run out of bounds. Not because he has big biceps.

Of course he needs to work out. But I would rather him get slower if it means becoming a better passer.

Of course, we have no idea what kind of mental work he is putting in. It's just that this is the second offseason in a row where we read this stuff but I've heard nothing about him working on, say, time management issues.

How do you propose he does that without the coaching staff? Should he wake up in the morning and say 6 different plays as fast and clearly as he can each day?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it fascinating that people are watching roughly 2 minutes and 30 seconds of Kaepernick working out and feel comfortable commenting on his entire offseason program.

Particularly when this video is almost an ad for the facility he's at. Would anyone want to guys running this camp helping Kap with film study or his drop back?

This is one aspect of what he's doing. To imagine that because he's working on his speed and strength it means he isn't working on mechanics and the mental aspect of the game is ridiculous.

Also, crimson, you're right that no one says the 49ers are the client. He says:

He's not our client. He's the 49ers client. Our job, out ultimate goal, is to make sure that when he goes back, he's exactly where the 49ers want him to be.

That suggests that the 49ers have had a hand in designing his workouts to shape him into the player they want from a physical standpoint.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

How do you propose he does that without the coaching staff? Should he wake up in the morning and say 6 different plays as fast and clearly as he can each day?

You know, it couldn't hurt.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

I don't know, maybe stay up late at night brainstorming ways to counteract Roman's obvious attempts to sabatoge his QB/offense by making the presnap stuff too complex?

It's fun to blame all that stuff on the coaching staff but I'm not entirely convinced its their fault. Especially when Harbaugh downplays Kap's culpability. This is the same guy who defended AJ Jenkins after all.

True, it was an issue under Alex Smith so maybe it is just the system's fault. It seems to me to have become far worse under Kap, but that's probably just selective memory on my part after the emotional scarring of our last two playoff exits.

I'm not really sure broham. It would be nice to hear that someone is working to fix that problem though don't you think? Maybe it is all on the coaching staff and they can work it out during training camp.

As for his game clock time management issues- not really sure how he works on that but maybe there is some sort of drill that could be devised? He shouldn't be running out of bounds when he should stay in bounds and vice versa. Do you have any ideas for things he could do to work on that? Maybe you and I could brainstorm and email our suggestions to the 49ers?

I think you're on to something imac, good call eh!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know, maybe stay up late at night brainstorming ways to counteract Roman's obvious attempts to sabatoge his QB/offense by making the presnap stuff too complex?

It's fun to blame all that stuff on the coaching staff but I'm not entirely convinced its their fault. Especially when Harbaugh downplays Kap's culpability. This is the same guy who defended AJ Jenkins after all.

True, it was an issue under Alex Smith so maybe it is just the system's fault. It seems to me to have become far worse under Kap, but that's probably just selective memory on my part after the emotional scarring of our last two playoff exits.

I'm not really sure broham. It would be nice to hear that someone is working to fix that problem though don't you think? Maybe it is all on the coaching staff and they can work it out during training camp.

As for his game clock time management issues- not really sure how he works on that but maybe there is some sort of drill that could be devised? He shouldn't be running out of bounds when he should stay in bounds and vice versa. Do you have any ideas for things he could do to work on that? Maybe you and I could brainstorm and email our suggestions to the 49ers?

I'm not blaming the coaching staff, but the staff plays a role. Kaepernick is not allowed to work out with the coaching staff. I don't know if there's anything Kaep can work to improve the tempo without the staff. I'd rather not get busted for violating the CBA in March if we can avoid it.

I also disagree that the clock management has gotten worse under Kap. I think it was considerably worse under Smith, and felt that we made a lot of progress this year. How many Delay of Game penalties did we take in the NFCC game? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I also think your blowing in-play decision making (going out of bounds etc) out of proportion. How many plays this year did he unquestionably screw that up (as in a case cannot be made to defend his decision)?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No, it's not selective memory. It's worse under Kap. Smith was good for one issue every couple games. It seems like Kap is good for one or two per game. The system clearly bears most of the blame IMO, but there's no doubt the problem got worse when Kap took over. More frustrating was the response of both Kap and Roman when questioned about it earlier this year. "We think it's more important to get the right play in." Got news for you guys: it's hard to conceptualize a play on 3rd and 3 in Seattle could have been worse than the roll-out, strip-sack that you ran on 3rd and 8. That shit just KILLS me, though I agree with Imac that now isn't really the time to be working on that sort of thing.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, it's not selective memory. It's worse under Kap. Smith was good for one issue every couple games. It seems like Kap is good for one or two per game. The system clearly bears most of the blame IMO, but there's no doubt the problem got worse when Kap took over. More frustrating was the response of both Kap and Roman when questioned about it earlier this year. "We think it's more important to get the right play in." Got news for you guys: it's hard to conceptualize a play on 3rd and 3 in Seattle could have been worse than the roll-out, strip-sack that you ran on 3rd and 8. That shit just KILLS me, though I agree with Imac that now isn't really the time to be working on that sort of thing.

Well, there's the one I had repressed.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it fascinating that people are watching roughly 2 minutes and 30 seconds of Kaepernick working out and feel comfortable commenting on his entire offseason program.

Particularly when this video is almost an ad for the facility he's at. Would anyone want to guys running this camp helping Kap with film study or his drop back?

This is one aspect of what he's doing. To imagine that because he's working on his speed and strength it means he isn't working on mechanics and the mental aspect of the game is ridiculous.

That suggests that the 49ers have had a hand in designing his workouts to shape him into the player they want from a physical standpoint.

I don't think the video is super disturbing or anything.

My issue is this is the second offseason in a row that we hear about our Adonis' amazing physical prowess and virtually nothing about him working on his (big dumb drooling retard?) brain. Last year he was a workout warrior and he didn't play particularly well. So we have to read more workout warrior crap?

I doubt it's all he's working on. But is he working on it too much? At the expense of what he should be working on? I really don't know. But it's not the type of shit I want to read about. I get it, he fast. But he is he still scared of ghosts when standing in the pocket? Does he still think he only has one receiving option when he drops back?

In the end though, my complaints might be more damning of the media than of Kap.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The delay of game in the NFC championship game is 100% on Kap. I'm sorry. I don't care if Roman always calls in 3 plays or whatever the system is and says if you don't follow procedure you're getting cut the next day. You're the fucking quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, the leader of the team in the most important game of the season. You CAN'T take a delay of game in that situation. Call a fucking play and hike the fucking ball and run the fucking play, even if it means you have to do the exact opposite of what Roman wants/calls. It's on the QB in that situation.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue is this is the second offseason in a row that we hear about our Adonis' amazing physical prowess and virtually nothing about him working on his (big dumb drooling retard?) brain. Last year he was a workout warrior and he didn't play particularly well. So we have to read more workout warrior crap?

I doubt it's all he's working on. But is he working on it too much? At the expense of what he should be working on? I really don't know. But it's not the type of shit I want to read about. I get it, he fast. But he is he still scared of ghosts when standing in the pocket? Does he still think he only has one receiving option when he drops back?

In the end though, my complaints might be more damning of the media than of Kap.

:agree: This.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So the issue is that we aren't hearing about Kaep working on the mental side of the game? Well I have some bad news then. We aren't hearing about anyone working on the mental side of the game. I've only seen "detailed" coverage on Kaepernick and Culliver working on the physical side of the game. Why isn't Corey Lemonier working on getting stronger against the run? Why isn't Eric Reid working on body control to not overrun tackles? Why isn't Iupati rehabbing his leg? Why isn't Wilhoite getting ready to be a starter? Why isn't Nick Moody working to take that job? Why isn't Ian Williams rehabbing? Why isn't Vernon Davis working on his hands? Ditto Vance McDonald. Why aren't Hunter and LMJ working to get stronger?

And why aren't our coaches trying to improve at all?

Etc.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I wondered how long it would take before somebody would say something along these lines. Spot on. I held myself back about a half dozen times this afternoon from entering this thread with something similar as that. I just wondered how long it would take before somebody said the above.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not freaking out, but this is a concern I've had with Kaepernick for some time now, based on his play on the field and some comments he has made to the media. Studying film isn't exciting, but a QB dropping back and throwing is.

This was t directed at your personally crimson sorry if it came off that way. Mostly just venting on all the sky is falling posts.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, how is playing SS for the Texas Rangers helping Russell Wilson prepare for next season?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wondered how long it would take before somebody would say something along these lines. Spot on. I held myself back about a half dozen times this afternoon from entering this thread with something similar as that. I just wondered how long it would take before somebody said the above.

I read the first post in the thread a few days ago, knew where it was going and chose to ignore it. Unfortunately, today I found myself sitting at the computer watching the tournament and read through it. I couldn't hold my fingers anymore.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how is playing SS for the Texas Rangers helping Russell Wilson prepare for next season?

It's one of those things, once you have won it all people back off and don't put you under a microscope.