• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's Offseason Workout

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He does it all, thats what makes him good

He doesn't do it all. He is a mediocre passer right now. He has the potential to be phenomenal, but only if he puts in the work in the right areas.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember earlier in the year people were worried about his work ethic. Well this should shut them up. The kid is a work horse. He wants to get better, he wants to win, and he wants to be great.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a big part of his game is being able to run. This is why he never gets hurt when he gets hit. Like others have said... hopefully this is just the start. He has a lot of time until camp. Besides, how do we know he isn't looking at film every night?

He is looking at film. I would put money on that. He also mention in that video that he does a lot of mental preparation.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things as well from the video....

The trainer says it is not their workout, it is the 49ers workout. So maybe Harbaugh wants him out there doing this.

And Kap even says himself, that he is working on everything. The mental aspect, the throwing, and the physical side.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a big part of his game is being able to run. This is why he never gets hurt when he gets hit. Like others have said... hopefully this is just the start. He has a lot of time until camp. Besides, how do we know he isn't looking at film every night?

I'm going to kindly disagree

He doesn't get hurt because he is quick to slide or run out of bounds. Not because he has big biceps.

Of course he needs to work out. But I would rather him get slower if it means becoming a better passer.

Of course, we have no idea what kind of mental work he is putting in. It's just that this is the second offseason in a row where we read this stuff but I've heard nothing about him working on, say, time management issues.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Maiocco or Matt Barrows was having an online chat this season where this issue was raised. I respect Maiocco and Barrows and have found them to be pretty evenhanded as journalists. In any event, someone made the point that Kaep was always shown working on the physical part of his game and not the film room work. The person also noted that Russell Wilson was always studying film. The host, again either Maiocco or Barrows, said that from his observations that Kaep puts in just as much work in the film room as Wilson, it just doesn't get publicized as much, and then he made some sort of snarky aside that Wilson shares whenever he's in the film room and Kaep really doesn't. Anyway, just a counterpoint so we maybe have some perspective on his offseason prep choices.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember earlier in the year people were worried about his work ethic. Well this should shut them up. The kid is a work horse. He wants to get better, he wants to win, and he wants to be great.

Not many people who have paid attention question his work ethic. It's what he is working on that raises some questions for me, and most other conscientious fans. His footwork is bad. His strides are too long, and he's sloppy in his dropbacks. He needs to work on that. He needs to work on tightening his release. He needs to improve his touch. I'm sure he's working on that to some extent, but that should be by far the priority for him this offseason. It's not clear to me that it is, though hopefully he'll prove me wrong next season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great video. Boy looks good. This kid is going to be special for us. He might not be great but will be special.

The only advice I would give Kap is don't get too big at the QB position. I like the speed training.

Huh??? In my book, special is several steps ahead of great.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Special ed. I think of Lenny from of mice and men.. A big physical guy that just isn't that smart. So I see where he says special.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A couple things as well from the video....

The trainer says it is not their workout, it is the 49ers workout. So maybe Harbaugh wants him out there doing this.

And Kap even says himself, that he is working on everything. The mental aspect, the throwing, and the physical side.

I believe the statement was something along the lines of, "They're not our clients, the 49ers are our clients." I don't take that to mean that the 49ers have designed the workout regimen.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes and no. U can be a special player but not be a great player. Manti Teo was a special but not a great player in the NFL. Yes I know college to NFL Is different.

Its hard to explain. I do understand what you are saying. U would think a special player is great. Im stating more that he might be special but not be one of the Greats. Maybe I should rephrased it. I think Eli was a special player(for the Giants) but he isn't a great QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes and no. U can be a special player but not be a great player. Manti Teo was a special but not a great player in the NFL. Yes I know college to NFL Is different.

Its hard to explain. I do understand what you are saying. U would think a special player is great. Im stating more that he might be special but not be one of the Greats. Maybe I should rephrased it. I think Eli was a special player(for the Giants) but he isn't a great QB.

Ok, that's fair enough. I get your meaning there, and I don't disagree that Kap has that potential based on what we've seen of him in the playoffs to date. I want to see him be great, too, though. And I don't see too much excuse for him not to be given his talent and support staff.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else concern that Kaep is more focused on lifting weights. Then studying game film to improve his eyes on reads. I mean I got no problem with lifting weights and all,but strength wasn't his weakness last year. It was reading coverage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyone else concern that Kaep is more focused on lifting weights. Then studying game film to improve his eyes on reads. I mean I got no problem with lifting weights and all,but strength wasn't his weakness last year. It was reading coverage.

Only a solid half to two-thirds of the people in this thread....

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's nothing to show or even any rumors that he isn't studying film. It's a common theme that Kap is the first guy to arrive at the team facilities and the last to leave. Let's be real, no one works out the 12 hours a day that Kap is there so obviously he's working on other things then lifting weights or his speed.

His lack of reading coverage and the timing of getting plays off is partly on him, partly on the coaches, and partly on other players who aren't lined up correctly and who burn more time or TO's when Kap has to shift them to the correct spot. Are we talking about Harbaugh and Roman simplifying the system to not call 2 or 3 plays in the huddle every single damn time?

Part of the problem Kap has reading coverage is he gets 3-5 seconds at most to quickly look at a defense, call 1 of the 2 or 3 plays they have called, and then hike the ball. Defenses know the 49er tendencies, especially Seattle, and they can spend Kap's first read in a fake defense and then after Kap's call they can shift to their real defense. That means Kap has to just wing it when the play is hiked. Compare him to the Mannings, Brady, Brees, and Luck. They can almost take 30 seconds to call a play or scan the defense and hike the ball at any time or keep shifting. That extra time makes a huge difference.

Kap needs work, I'm not denying that, but there are some scheme issues the team has to stream line first or none of this is really going to change.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, that's fair enough. I get your meaning there, and I don't disagree that Kap has that potential based on what we've seen of him in the playoffs to date. I want to see him be great, too, though. And I don't see too much excuse for him not to be given his talent and support staff.

Everything is there for him to succeed. Lets hope that happens.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm sorry but all this panicking about a damn video is rediculous. Y'all need to step back and breathe. He watches film and throws to WRs. I'm sure he works on his footwork. I'm sure he works on everything. Just because it hasn't been in a video, doesn't mean he isn't doing it. How exciting is a video of a guy watching film? Pretty dull. These videos are to get viewers to watch and get people pumped up.

I love the offseason with all the FA, trades, combine, pro days, draft, OTAs, and all the rest, but damn people relax.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not freaking out, but this is a concern I've had with Kaepernick for some time now, based on his play on the field and some comments he has made to the media. Studying film isn't exciting, but a QB dropping back and throwing is.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exciting is a video of a guy watching film? Pretty dull.

And depending on directing or context, it could seem forced. As if, he isn't doing it, but they want people to think he is. I'd rather have them just cover what they normally would cover in a documentary or video.