• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's Offseason Workout

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not comparing Smith to Kaepernick. Not trying to make this an Alex Smith Thread.
San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog » Pitching guru House terms Alex Smith a star student
Maybe its a matter of Media, But we hear all the time about other qbs like smith working on things like mechanics, but with Kaep all we have heard about is his workout regiment and working on his speed. So, imo, its not unreasonable to be concerned with weather Kaeps offseason priorities are in the right place.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And you have literally judged Kap's off-season based on a 2:42 second video.

For reference, your first post in the thread:

If you're worried about what you're NOT seeing, then your worries should spread past Kaepernick. As I said in an earlier post, the only two players I've seen any sort of coverage on in terms of off-season workouts are Kap and Cully. I've seen nothing that tells me what any of the coaches are doing to prep for next year.

Shouldn't you be concerned about what you have NOT seen from the rest of the players on the payroll?

If the assumption we're to draw from this video is that Kap is not working on anything under than strength/speed/agility because it's what we see, then that extrapolates to the rest of the team doing nothing.

My initial reaction may have been somewhat knee-jerk, but I'm not basing it solely on this one video. I'm basing it on reports of Kap working persistently on his speed during the last offseason, followed by struggles throwing the football. I'm basing it on his comments that he doesn't feel he needs to prioritize passing over other parts of his game. And I'm basing it on him attending a camp that seems to primarily involve skill position players rather than other QBs. All that is in addition to the video and the photos that show nothing resembling work on passing mechanics.

I certainly can't say that he isn't working on his passing - or isn't working enough anyway, but he showed little progress as a passer last year, and I expect to see more this year. As of now, my questions about his commitment to the right things remains.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DOG isn't the only consideration. It's the easy stat to track, but there is also the "wasted" time outs. Smith seemed to do a better job of burning time outs than Kap to save DOG penalties.

Yeah, but Harbaugh calls them for Kap, so they still get wasted.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My initial thought is like Crimson is the last thing I wanted to see is him doing more workouts to build up speed and muscles but I also accept that aspect is going to be a part of his game and something that he's going to work on to maintain and keep at a high level.

Also I think Kap's problem is more that he lets his mechanics get sloppy rather than actually having poor mechanics. He has shown he can be laser accurate when he doesn't let his mechanics get sloppy on him. So I don't know how much working on passing in ideal conditions is going to help him.

I believe the biggest thing that will help Kap as a passer and having a greater understanding of the offense and a greater understanding of how to read defenses. Being confident of knowing where to go with the ball will lead to him being sharper with his mechanics and not letting uncertainty get him panicked and being sloppy with them.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering how many of the GOAT QBs needed to train for strength and spend so much time in the weight room. I know this is a new era of the QB position but could anyone picture Joe Montana trying to pack on muscle? Tom Brady? Peyton Manning? I could go on but it would take a while. Is Kap just looking to build up his biceps so he doesn't have to raise his arm so high to kiss it? He needs to get to training on QB fundamentals.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering how many of the GOAT QBs needed to train for strength and spend so much time in the weight room. I know this is a new era of the QB position but could anyone picture Joe Montana trying to pack on muscle? Tom Brady? Peyton Manning? I could go on but it would take a while. Is Kap just looking to build up his biceps so he doesn't have to raise his arm so high to kiss it? He needs to get to training on QB fundamentals.

You're about to get imac-ed son. Hope your angus is properly peppered cuz here he comes. And he's coming angry.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're about to get imac-ed son. Hope your angus is properly peppered cuz here he comes. And he's coming angry.
Are you like the little guy who tells someone else "hey boss...look what this guy said. You should tell him boss...tell him to stop!" ?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I came across this of Drew Brees and his offseason workouts - granted from a couple years ago. Similar to the video of Kaepernick.

Drew Brees Off-Season Workout | STACK

He's certainly working on general strength and speed, but it seems like most of what he's doing is geared primarily toward throwing. Obviously Kap is a different type of QB in that he can be a real threat with his legs. It just makes me a bit uneasy that we didn't see and of the throwing stuff from him.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you like the little guy who tells someone else "hey boss...look what this guy said. You should tell him boss...tell him to stop!" ?

Just trying to look out for you brother.

You should know better than to write something critical about Kap round these parts.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came across this of Drew Brees and his offseason workouts - granted from a couple years ago. Similar to the video of Kaepernick.

Drew Brees Off-Season Workout | STACK

He's certainly working on general strength and speed, but it seems like most of what he's doing is geared primarily toward throwing. Obviously Kap is a different type of QB in that he can be a real threat with his legs. It just makes me a bit uneasy that we didn't see and of the throwing stuff from him.
I know this is early on for the off season for Kap ,but I would really like to hear that he is working on his QB craft and not his strength. I would be happy to see that being let out to the media.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should know better than to write something critical about Kap round these parts.
Thanks. My Homer goggles came off after the NFCCG and will never be worn again. I do appreciate the help anyway. :suds:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sorry whysies, not angry. Just dumbfounded. I think we should apply this logic to all our players. In the 80s players didn't work out year round, so no one should now. Someone tell Pat Willis to get out of the weight room and work on his cigarette addiction. Afterall, nothing has changed since the 70s and 80s.

Did you happen to see the picture posted earlier in the thread of Tom Brady? Do you think he might have packed on the muscle in his career?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Go ahead and be critical of Kaep. Just don't display ignorance. Same goes for people praising him. If someone came on here and said he doesn't need to work on his throwing because he already has one of the strongest arms in the NFL I'd call them on it too.

This is a thread full of people criticizing Kaepernick for working out. Let that sink in. People are upset our QB is working out. If that was a video of him sitting on his couch eating ice cream, playing PS4 it would be one thing. But we have a 2:42 second video, that probably has about 40 seconds of him actually working out (that's probably a high estimate) that people are taking as a sign that he's not working out right.

And it's a video where the guy that runs the facility says his job is to get Kaepernick to the place the NINERS WANT HIM TO BE.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know this is early on for the off season for Kap ,but I would really like to hear that he is working on his QB craft and not his strength. I would be happy to see that being let out to the media.

I'd be thrilled if people exercised their common sense and a basic understanding of the off-season structure.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't watched the video until now but for all the talk about ignoring the mental side ad throwing, he says this in the video:

"The end goal is to make sure I’m getting better at everything I’m doing,” Kaepernick said. "From throwing to running to the mental work I do on the side, just make sure that I’m completely prepared for this upcoming season to try to make a Super Bowl run.”

Of course, saying and doing are different things, but it's not like he said the end goal was to be faster and stronger because you need those (implying exclusivity) to win football games.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and be critical of Kaep. Just don't display ignorance. Same goes for people praising him. If someone came on here and said he doesn't need to work on his throwing because he already has one of the strongest arms in the NFL I'd call them on it too.

This is a thread full of people criticizing Kaepernick for working out. Let that sink in. People are upset our QB is working out. If that was a video of him sitting on his couch eating ice cream, playing PS4 it would be one thing. But we have a 2:42 second video, that probably has about 40 seconds of him actually working out (that's probably a high estimate) that people are taking as a sign that he's not working out right.

And it's a video where the guy that runs the facility says his job is to get Kaepernick to the place the NINERS WANT HIM TO BE.

No ignorance being displayed here broham. I said its not a super big deal but its lame to read/hear/see more shit about his sweet bod (and exclusively shit about his sweet bod) when that sweet bod had some pretty substantial failings as a QB but in the end its probably the media's fault for focusing on his sweet bod instead of his big dumb drooling retard brain because they can't get enough of that sweet, sweet bod.

It would be nice to hear that he's trying to actually become a better QB not a better athlete, that's all.

Now stop being such a hoser. I fully acknowledge that imac gonna imac and you need an outlet for all your Molson-fueled rage but take it out on the usual cast of dumb dumbs, don't try and lay your pedantic semantic smackdown on a level-headed, smart, valuable poster like Crimson.

You think Kap is a very good QB already and (I assume) you think he will progress even more. That's fine, you're entitled to that opinion (although I do think the "Kap is very good already" part is pretty flagrantly wrong). But you also need to realize that other people are allowed to be skeptical of what Kap is doing to prepare for this season and whether or not he is doing the right things to progress as a QB. So far we are hearing the same reports about him as we did last year, and at best he stagnated this season. If he didn't get any better last offseason and he's doing the same stuff this offseason, people are justified in being a little annoyed when they hear/read/see stuff like this.

Now relax. Go make a Tim Horton's run or something and stop obsessing over the fact that people on the Internet disagree with your assessment of your QB.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ignorance being displayed here broham. I said its not a super big deal but its lame to read/hear/see more shit about his sweet bod (and exclusively shit about his sweet bod) when that sweet bod had some pretty substantial failings as a QB but in the end its probably the media's fault for focusing on his sweet bod instead of his big dumb drooling retard brain because they can't get enough of that sweet, sweet bod.

It would be nice to hear that he's trying to actually become a better QB not a better athlete, that's all.

Now stop being such a hoser. I fully acknowledge that imac gonna imac and you need an outlet for all your Molson-fueled rage but take it out on the usual cast of dumb dumbs, don't try and lay your pedantic semantic smackdown on a level-headed, smart, valuable poster like Crimson.

You think Kap is a very good QB already and (I assume) you think he will progress even more. That's fine, you're entitled to that opinion (although I do think the "Kap is very good already" part is pretty flagrantly wrong). But you also need to realize that other people are allowed to be skeptical of what Kap is doing to prepare for this season and whether or not he is doing the right things to progress as a QB. So far we are hearing the same reports about him as we did last year, and at best he stagnated this season. If he didn't get any better last offseason and he's doing the same stuff this offseason, people are justified in being a little annoyed when they hear/read/see stuff like this.

Now relax. Go make a Tim Horton's run or something and stop obsessing over the fact that people on the Internet disagree with your assessment of your QB.
Imac's comment was meant for me ,I think ,and not you. He got confused while drunk posting.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't say we don't still use the timeouts. I said I feel Smith used them more often.

Smith personally, yes. I think the team as a whole used more with Kap under center, it was just usually Harbaugh calling them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give credit the playoffs they worked out that time out stuff.