• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap by the Numbers

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And... there is the example of the opposite extreme.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Take a look at the stats that I have linked, hell take a look at their Weighted Career AV, Kap is a whole 24, compared to the 88 that is Rodgers.

I have never looked at AV before... here is how it is described:
"the Approximate Value method, Doug Drinen's method of putting a single numerical value on any player's season, at any position, from any year (for now, it's just any year since 1950)."

So, having looked at your links:
-Kap in his first full season as starter = 15 AV
-Rodgers in his first full season as starter = 15 AV
-In the last two seasons, Kap has accumulated 24 AV in 23 starts. Rodgers has 25 AV in 25 starts.
-Rodgers is accumulating 1.12 AV per career start compared to Kap's 1.04 per career start.

AV seems to suggest that Kap and Rodgers are quite similar in performance. Obviously, Rodgers has a higher total as he has 87 career starts compared to 23 for Kap.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avg QBs don't make the plays that he makes. Oh yeah and don't give me good QBs don't make mistakes like he made if so then I guess Payton Manning is not good then because he made more mistakes then Kap against the same team.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avg QBs don't make the plays that he makes. Oh yeah and don't give me good QBs don't make mistakes like he made if so then I guess Payton Manning is not good then because he made more mistakes then Kap against the same team.

This is horrible, horrible logic and you should feel horrible.

Here's a protip: look at their body of work, don't just cherry pick things from a small sample size

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a protip: look at their body of work, don't just cherry pick things from a small sample size

Most people have a fear of exposing themselves to ridicule so they think before they speak. Looking at his body of work here, it appears that Purguy does not share that fear.....at least where Kaepernick is concerned.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep has done more in 2 years than Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Ryan, etc. how much do you think Kaep is gonna want? All these guys got 90-100 million dollar contracts.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep has done more in 2 years than Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Ryan, etc. how much do you think Kaep is gonna want? All these guys got 90-100 million dollar contracts.

Cutler? Maybe. Kind of agnostic on Ryan. He's definitely not better than Stafford or Romo though. Come on bro.

I really hope the 49ers brain trust isn't dumb enough to make a 1:1 correlation between team success and QB success. If they do, we are absolutely screwed as a fanbase.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would I feel horrible. I was stating that if he brings up the Seattle game then what is payton then. Kap did better then Payton against the same team. I agree you have to look at the whole body of work on Kap. I have seen more positives, then negatives.

Overall Kap has done a lot more great things then not so great things. To be Honest that 4th Q melt down was his 1st time not coming through in the big moment.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you Gold Rush. This is what im saying. Kap has already done more then most starting QBs in this league. Kap will get paid.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points... but it's Peyton, not Payton. It normally wouldn't bug me, but his name comes up a lot.

Walter Payton, Sean Payton, Peyton Manning.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All good points... but it's Peyton, not Payton. It normally wouldn't bug me, but his name comes up a lot.

Walter Payton, Sean Payton, Peyton Manning.

I think the reason for this frequest error is that people are equating Manning's name with the contract he commands.. "Payton" is a contraction of Pay a Ton... Which is what you need to get Peyton's services.. jk

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason for this frequest error is that people are equating Manning's name with the contract he commands.. "Payton" is a contraction of Pay a Ton... Which is what you need to get Peyton's services.. jk

LOL. He's paid so much that his "e" is upgraded to an "a."

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cutler? Maybe. Kind of agnostic on Ryan. He's definitely not better than Stafford or Romo though. Come on bro.

I really hope the 49ers brain trust isn't dumb enough to make a 1:1 correlation between team success and QB success. If they do, we are absolutely screwed as a fanbase.

Ya, there is no way Kap could go to a pass happy team and sling the ball around to the likes of Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshal, Alshon Jeffries, Tony Gonzalez, Miles Austin, Roddy White and have the same success as Romo, Ryan, Stafford or Cutler... Hell, there is no way he could even replicate what McCown did while Cutler was injured, or pass for almost 400 yards like Kyle Orton did against Philly when Romo was out... :rollseyes:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, there is no way Kap could go to a pass happy team and sling the ball around to the likes of Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Brandon Marshal, Alshon Jeffries, Tony Gonzalez, Miles Austin, Roddy White and have the same success as Romo, Ryan, Stafford or Cutler... Hell, there is no way he could even replicate what McCown did while Cutler was injured, or pass for almost 400 yards like Kyle Orton did against Philly when Romo was out... :rollseyes:

Sarcasm is duly noted, but I totally agree. Look at what he has accomplished through the air with probably the most QB friendly situation in the entire NFL. 49ers oline, Harbaugh, Crabtree, Davis, Boldin. It's been average at best, and he hasn't shown any signs of improvement. That's scary.

I dig his potential and hope he pulls it out (and his head out of his butt) but fuck man, I don't want the 49ers to pay him $100 million for more of the same crap.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sarcasm is duly noted, but I totally agree. Look at what he has accomplished through the air with probably the most QB friendly situation in the entire NFL. 49ers oline, Harbaugh, Crabtree, Davis, Boldin. It's been average at best, and he hasn't shown any signs of improvement. That's scary.

I dig his potential and hope he pulls it out (and his head out of his butt) but fuck man, I don't want the 49ers to pay him $100 million for more of the same crap.

I think you need to look at this with the idea of growth potential. Here is what we KNOW about Kap:

1) He works his ASS off.
2.) He is extremely bright (Exhibit A, HS and college GPAs)
3.) He has a filthy arm
4.) He is the most dynamic running QB in the league.

Keep in mind, I put He works his ASS off at #1 for a reason. Because of #1 and #2, I feel he stands the best chance to continue to get better well into his late 20's, especially considering that he was a QB at Nevada, which probably stunted his ability to grow as a pocket passer.

Given #1 and #2, doesn't seem like a decent gamble to invest in him as opposed to hoping and praying that we find someone better suited for the position? To me, pay Kap as he has shown to have the raw ability and the hunger to continue to get better.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
2.) He is extremely bright (Exhibit A, HS and college GPAs)

GPA has very little to do with being bright (especially football smart). It has way more to do with how hard the classes are you're taking & how good you are at jumping through hoops. It shows that he's studious & willing to put in the work, but it doesn't take someone who's bright to get A's in college.

On the football field it's all about ability to see & process things quickly, and he's an absolute retard in that department (by NFL standards).

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He could be one of the most dangerous weapons in the league, and yet he is limited to a run first offense where the offensive coordinator can't put together a decent passing attack...

Makes a lot of sense... You can also say well he has Boldin, Crabtree and VD, thats great... But in reality he has an aging WR, a WR that just came off a devistating injury and a TE that did put up great numbers this season catching balls from, you guessed it... Colin Kaepernick...

Last season before Crabtree's injury he was quickly becoming one of those top tier WR (or close to it) playing with Kap...

But again, lets not put any of the blame with a coordinator who can't come up with a decent passing game, using the same part of the field over and over again while ignoring several other options to slow defenses... Instead, why not use at as an argument to why it is the number one reason why Kap should be elite... Again, makes a lot of sense...

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember for years you former ESPN guys wanted a good QB, now that we have one you guys want him out. Any good QB is going to demand at least 14-18 million. That's their price. I'm satisfied with Kaps body of work so far and he has a lot potential to get better. Getting rid of Kap will be worse on our team than losing Crabtree, Smith and Iupati. Kap should be the priority. He's not elite but I'd say he's probably the 6th best QB in the league and the guy is just getting started.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am just curious... A lot of people here have claimed that kaep is a top 10 QB but what I would want to know is exactly what metrics are those people using when they claim top 10 status? What quantifiable proof can they put forth showing Kaep as a top 10 QB in the league? I hope they would give more proof than win-loss record because Win-Loss record reflects a the whole teams' effort.. So what qunatifiable proff is there to back up the claim that Kaep is top 10?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I am just curious... A lot of people here have claimed that kaep is a top 10 QB but what I would want to know is exactly what metrics are those people using when they claim top 10 status? What quantifiable proof can they put forth showing Kaep as a top 10 QB in the league? I hope they would give more proof than win-loss record because Win-Loss record reflects a the whole teams' effort.. So what qunatifiable proff is there to back up the claim that Kaep is top 10?

There is no metric to prove a QB is better than another. People argue for decades about that very subject.