• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Kansas City Royals vs San Francisco Giants

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing from the announcers. If someone were not watching and only listening to the announcers, they would think the Royals were winning 7-1, not the Giants...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this a long time ago as a kid growing up and watching baseball and I believe it to be true. "Hitting gets you to the World Series. Pitching wins the World Series".

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this a long time ago as a kid growing up and watching baseball and I believe it to be true. "Hitting gets you to the World Series. Pitching wins the World Series".
If you actually look at some of the AB the Giants hitters had, there was a lot of good hitting there, too.

Went all in on the Royals with my Vcash due to just about every number pointing their direction. Im a vbroke son of a gun now.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, although pitching helps get you there too.

The thing is, hitters build their stats all year vs 4th and 5th starters on bad teams. When you get to the playoffs, it's all good teams' best starters. Good bullpens too (usually).

It's why the Tigers and Rangers were supposed to clobber the Giants with their offenses in 2010 and 2012...didn't happen.

KC is actually a tougher matchup because they are about pitching and defense and speed. But SF's ace is clearly >> KC's ace

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, although pitching helps get you there too.

The thing is, hitters build their stats all year vs 4th and 5th starters on bad teams. When you get to the playoffs, it's all good teams' best starters. Good bullpens too (usually).

It's why the Tigers and Rangers were supposed to clobber the Giants with their offenses in 2010 and 2012...didn't happen.

KC is actually a tougher matchup because they are about pitching and defense and speed. But SF's ace is clearly >> KC's ace

He certainly was tonight.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you get to the playoffs, it's all good teams' best starters. Good bullpens too (usually).
Its actually pretty rare for a team to have good starters and a good bullpen. The 2010 Giants pitching was pretty legendary, IIRC, and trend setting.

That said, the Royals have the worst starting pitching of a favorite in the World Series...:scratch: ...can't think of anyone who would start someone as shaky as Shields.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its actually pretty rare for a team to have good starters and a good bullpen. The 2010 Giants pitching was pretty legendary, IIRC, and trend setting.

That said, the Royals have the worst starting pitching of a favorite in the World Series...:scratch: ...can't think of anyone who would start someone as shaky as Shields.

It really is bizarre when Ventura and Duffy are available to be in the rotation. Could argue Shields at this point was the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team going into the postseason.

As of right now, I just hope Ventura vs Peavy breaks down like conventional wisdom suggests should happen based on what they have done this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is bizarre when Ventura and Duffy are available to be in the rotation. Could argue Shields at this point was the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team going into the postseason.

As of right now, I just hope Ventura vs Peavy breaks down like conventional wisdom suggests should happen based on what they have done this year.
Not the first team to back the wrong horse. Dodgers should've started Grienke over Kershaw and Cardinals should've started Lynn over Wainwright.

I dont envy the gray hairs that come with being a baseball manager

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got dominated tonight, no ifs ands or butts...great news is Madison can't pitch all the games.

Yost needs to get running again, been scared since Dyson got picked twice.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got dominated tonight, no ifs ands or butts...great news is Madison can't pitch all the games.

Yost needs to get running again, been scared since Dyson got picked twice.

Baltimore has notoriously fast pitchers to home and good defensive catchers. Giants are far and away easier to run on than the O's, however, nobody really got on base for well... the almost the entire game.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain should have taken 2nd early in the game, could have got them thinking run the rest of the game/series. No reason to let him sit.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was watching the Royals swing at literally EVERY SINGLE PITCH in those early innings and Bumgarner and Posey shooting fish in a barrel. The Royals acted like they had taken a double load of meth right in the veins.

Can these guys calm down and play some smart baseball in Game 2? :scratch: