• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep wants a new start

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that expands the pool by 2...we're still not talking about a lot of teams having the means, and opportunity to make that trade without cutting some key pcs.

There were 14 teams this year that ended the year wth $8M+ in salary cap space that goes away forever. And most of the rest of the league had to restructure contracts just to make it look like they were spending their cap money.

The salary cap isn't a problem for most any team. The simple fact of the matter is that the league salary cap is expanding at a faster pace than NFL owners are willing to spend at this point. That is what makes the cap debacle in New Orleans so strange.

It wasn't the Graham cap hit that scared teams away. There were probably 25+ teams that would have happily fit him under their cap. It was that 1st round pick in the draft that scared other teams off. If New Orleans was looking to straight dump him for a 4th round pick there wouldn't have been a team in the league that would have said no IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 14 teams this year that ended the year wth $8M+ in salary cap space that goes away forever. And most of the rest of the league had to restructure contracts just to make it look like they were spending their cap money.

The salary cap isn't a problem for most any team. The simple fact of the matter is that the league salary cap is expanding at a faster pace than NFL owners are willing to spend at this point. That is what makes the cap debacle in New Orleans so strange.

It wasn't the Graham cap hit that scared teams away. There were probably 25+ teams that would have happily fit him under their cap. It was that 1st round pick in the draft that scared other teams off. If New Orleans was looking to straight dump him for a 4th round pick there wouldn't have been a team in the league that would have said no IMO.

I haven't seen that number, but we can go with it...of the 14...we can count among them, TN, TB, CLE, etc...I'm sure...teams, but not realistic teams....you're right on the 1st rder, which is why I think NO was fortunate.

Either way...we're still talking about a handful suitors.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick’s agents tell reporters they’ve asked for a trade
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2016, 7:42 PM EST
wzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptfmmzdhodgxyjaxmjc1ztezmjlkmzk3ndvmyzm1mmm5-e1445618906981.jpeAP
The 49ers say they want to keep Colin Kaepernick. Colin Kaepernick apparently wants otherwise.

More specifically, Kaepernick’s agents are now telling people that Kaepernick wants otherwise.

Multiple reports have emerged, both from NFL Media and ESPN, that Kaepernick’s agents have asked for permission to seek a trade. The reports are most likely (if not undoubtedly) coming from Kaepernick’s agents.

The 49ers have not yet responded to a request for comment from PFT, and it’s unclear whether either NFL Media or ESPN requested comment from the 49ers. Now that the Scouting Combine-related media availability of 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke and coach Chip Kelly has ended, there won’t be a quick and easy way to ask them about the reports until next month’s league meetings in Florida.

On Thursday, Kelly told reporters he’s convinced Kaepernick wants to play for the 49ers.

Whether Kaepernick’s agents have actually requested permission to seek a trade or have simply told reporters that they have, the cat is now out of the bag — if it wasn’t already. Before the Super Bowl, the New York Daily News reported that Kaepernick wants out, and that he’d like to play for the Jets.

More recently, NFL Media reported this: “Even if Kaepernick has trust issues with the organization, he’s not pushing for a trade.”

With or without permission for Kaepernick to seek a trade, potentially interested teams now know there’s a reason to make a phone call to the 49ers, despite the fact that the 49ers have spent the last two days trying to create the impression that all is well.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep to the Browns doesn't sound bad, Hue Jackson previously wanted to trade up for him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Ok....I'll give ya one half-eaten bag of Grape Big League Chew, a dimebag of some bama brown and a recorded cassette tape of the Beatles White Album?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Mike Florio Feb 2, 2016, 7:36 PM EST
Report: Kaepernick wants out of San Francisco

View attachment 85091

The 49ers have been deliberately coy about whether they want to keep quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick apparently is less willing to conceal his wishes.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Kaepernick wants out of San Francisco. His preferred destination is the Jets.
Some desperate team may be willing to trade for him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Ok....I'll give ya one half-eaten bag of Grape Big League Chew, a dimebag of some bama brown and a recorded cassette tape of the Beatles White Album?
If you'd throw in a bottle of Thunderbird wine a deal may get done. :D

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only wants to move to the east coast because he already owns every bit of west coast gangsta gear there is to own and he needs to continue on with his collection of shoes and hats.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Colin Kaepernick. A true "two pump chump."

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

55969517.jpg

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • York seems to say 49ers won’t grant Kaepernick permission to seek trade
Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2016, 5:01 PM EST
zz04ngjjztc4mje1owzlzdmzymm5ztu4mzqyntgxywvkmq-e1456696890781.jpeAP
As it turns out, the item from Sunday morningregarding 49ers owner Jed York’s position on quarterback Colin Kaepernick came from a much longer interview of York by Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News. The rest of the hour-long discussion has been posted in multiple chunks by Purdy, and it contains more from York on the team’s enigmatic once-and-perhaps-future franchise quarterback.

Asked directly about the reports that Kaepernick’s agents have requested permission to seek a trade, York was dismissive.

“I haven’t talked to his people,” York said. “And I try to stay away from what the agents say. I know what our feeling is. We want Kap to be healthy. And we’d like to see Kap here.”

Asked specifically whether the team will grant the request for permission to seek a trade, York became evasive.

“I think there’s so much tampering that takes place . . . which the NFL has kind of taken the governor off of, a little bit, in terms of what they allow to happen in Indianapolis . . . the tampering that took place in terms of what happens in free agency,” York said. “So would it shock me that people are talking? It wouldn’t shock me. But I think our guys have said very clearly that we’d like Kap to be part of the San Francisco 49ers.”

York’s acknowledgement that the league “has kind of take the governor off” of tampering in Indianapolis presumes there ever was a governor in place. There wasn’t, there hasn’t been, and there will never be. Tampering is rampant every year at the Scouting Combine, primarily as it relates to players poised to become free agents. But as to players like Kaepernick, who remains under contract through 2020 but who apparently wants a change of scenery, York is right. Communications with other teams will occur regardless of whether the 49ers sanction it. And perhaps the most significant aspect of York’s response is that he has become one of the very few NFL executives to actually acknowledge on the record the widespread tampering in which everyone (including the 49ers, most likely) is currently engaged.

Asked one more time for a clear position on whether the request for permission by Kaepernick’s agents to seek a trade will be granted, York avoided providing a direct answer but still responded. Basically, York acknowledges that permission isn’t needed.

“I’ve been around the NFL long enough to know that you don’t need to grant agents permission to make phone calls,” York said. “So, again, we’re not actively doing anything. I can’t stop somebody from reaching out. But our opinion is, we’d like Kap to be here. And I think when you look at what Chip’s offensive philosophy is, I think Kap is a very good fit for that. I think Chip has said that. We expect Kap to be here.”

And there’s the team’s effort to maintain the upper hand when it comes to trade talks. We want him, and we’re not making the first move if someone else wants him more. But if someone else calls and wants to talk about trading for him, we’ll listen. Otherwise, he’ll be on the team this year.

It’s obvious that the 49ers are trying to maximize the market for Kaepernick elsewhere by selling the rest of the league on their desire to keep him. The decision of Kaepernick’s agents to leak to multiple reporters their request for permission to seek a trade undermined San Francisco’s strategy. The team’s response represents the best possible chicken salad recipe they could concoct under the circumstances.

Meanwhile, it’s still unclear whether the 49ers or Kaepernick’s agents leaked to NFL Media the notion that the Texans and Browns are interested in Kaepernick when both teams reportedly aren’t. But it’s clear that’s the next step in getting the phone to ring: Selling the response of the league on the possibility that, if you don’t make a move now, he may be traded to someone else.

The only problem for the 49ers is that, just as York has been around the NFL long enough to know how tampering works, the rest of the NFL has been around the NFL long enough to know exactly what’s going on here. Which means that if anyone actually trades for Kaepernick it won’t be the result of gamesmanship or leverage but because someone else genuinely wants him on the team.

If someone else does, they’re keeping their cards close to the vest. At some point down the road, whether on or after March 9 (if the 49ers sign someone else, like Sam Bradford), on or after April 1 (when Kaepernick’s salary becomes fully guaranteed), or during or after the draft (when another team fails to get the rookie it wants), Kaepernick’s football fate for 2016 will become clear.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ I was just going to post this.

Now the player requests a trade and the ownership group says no, you have to stay?!? What a trainwreck in SF. York is even more of a joke than he was yesterday.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a disaster the 49ers are. Wasn't that long ago they where touted as a team that was going to be dominant for the rest of this decade.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a disaster the 49ers are. Wasn't that long ago they where touted as a team that was going to be dominant for the rest of this decade.

Only people who pretend Kaepernick is a good QB thought that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind, got one user mixed up with another.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if Gabbert looked better over a 7 game stretch. He isn't Kaepernick. Gabbert faced teams in the middle of a season that were preparing for an offense run by Kaep. It takes NFL defenses a good couple of months to prepare for a different QB under center. It's always been like that.

Wow, I've never heard anyone saying this before, this would be ridiculous. Teams look at the whole season no doubt in the offseason, but they aren't doing it so much and so long so that they would be thrown this much off. I did think that Kaepernick benefitted from teams having no film of him, little film of the read-option, and Kaepernick playing with house money, but they figured it out. But after the first Gabbert game with the Niners, I wouldn't think a team would be that thrown off by a change.

Why does Crapernick want to go to the Jets? Not getting that one.

My guess is that the jets have talent and good coaching to be successful now and that Kaep thinks he can displace Fitzpatrick. Easiest winning team to get onto as they have a weak QB position. Just my guess.

The Jets have two 1,000 yard receivers, so Kaepernick should be able to lock onto one of them and throw three straight times to the one that's least open. Just kidding.