• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep wants a new start

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for going off topic, but...

Being a new guy, how do you post a new thread here, help~~~

Easy, you stick around long enough to let the site know you aren't a spammer and that access gets granted automatically.

I must say it's odd for 3 favorite NFL teams :)

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine the 49ers trading Kaep considering that both the GM and the coaches jobs are already on the line. If they trade him, what are they going to do for a QB?

It's not often that a coach gets hired and is a good candidate for being canned 1 year from now. But Kelly falls into that category. Baalke had one of the worst offseasons in the history of the league last year. A lot of it wasn't his fault....but a lot of it was too. It was actually a little surprising he was able to hold onto his job. But if the 49ers come out and have a 4-12 season next year is there anyway he keeps his job? And if he is fired, is there a GM around that would want Chip Kelly running his team? The answer to both of those questions is no.

Clock is ticking in SF for the entire staff already. Anything short of 7 or 8 wins and a roster that shows signs of life and the entire FO and coaching staff will be looking for different jobs.

Because of that I think SF ends up keeping Kaep as he gives them the best chance of winning games this coming season.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine the 49ers trading Kaep considering that both the GM and the coaches jobs are already on the line. If they trade him, what are they going to do for a QB?

It's not often that a coach gets hired and is a good candidate for being canned 1 year from now. But Kelly falls into that category. Baalke had one of the worst offseasons in the history of the league last year. A lot of it wasn't his fault....but a lot of it was too. It was actually a little surprising he was able to hold onto his job. But if the 49ers come out and have a 4-12 season next year is there anyway he keeps his job? And if he is fired, is there a GM around that would want Chip Kelly running his team? The answer to both of those questions is no.

Clock is ticking in SF for the entire staff already. Anything short of 7 or 8 wins and a roster that shows signs of life and the entire FO and coaching staff will be looking for different jobs.

Because of that I think SF ends up keeping Kaep as he gives them the best chance of winning games this coming season.

Gabbert is better than Kaep.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mmm, I doubt Kelly only has one year to turn the team around. It's not as if Kaep was the only issue there. They lost a shitload of good players before this season even started. Kaep playing like garbage was just the final nail in the Niner's coffin. Chip will get at least two years in my opinion.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert is better than Kaep.

No he's not. He has all the exact same flaws as Kaep in the pocket (inaccurate, holds the ball too long) and none of the athletic upside or the scare a safety deep strong arm.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm, I doubt Kelly only has one year to turn the team around. It's not as if Kaep was the only issue there. They lost a shitload of good players before this season even started. Kaep playing like garbage was just the final nail in the Niner's coffin. Chip will get at least two years in my opinion.

If the Niner's implode this coming season again do you think Baalke keeps his job? I don't.

I just can't imagine the 49ers attracting the type of GM they are going to want to hire if they tie the lead weight that is Chip Kelly around his neck. No decent GM prospect is going to want to take a job if it means they are stuck with a coach that already fought a FO battle with his past FO (and won) no matter what they think of Kelly's coaching abilities.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not. He has all the exact same flaws as Kaep in the pocket (inaccurate, holds the ball too long) and none of the athletic upside or the scare a safety deep strong arm.

Did you watch them much this year? Neither are a long term answer but that offense was better with Gabbert. He can actually somewhat read a defense.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch them much this year? Neither are a long term answer but that offense was better with Gabbert. He can actually somewhat read a defense.

I don't care if Gabbert looked better over a 7 game stretch. He isn't Kaepernick. Gabbert faced teams in the middle of a season that were preparing for an offense run by Kaep. It takes NFL defenses a good couple of months to prepare for a different QB under center. It's always been like that.

That stretch doesn't change anything from when Gabbert completely failed in Jacksonville while Kaep was leading the 49er's to the playoffs.

Kaep had a down year. That's for sure. But it doesn't change the fact that he is a better QB than Gabbert. They really are extremely similar QB's. Gabbert is just the poor man's Kaep.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niner's implode this coming season again do you think Baalke keeps his job? I don't.

I just can't imagine the 49ers attracting the type of GM they are going to want to hire if they tie the lead weight that is Chip Kelly around his neck. No decent GM prospect is going to want to take a job if it means they are stuck with a coach that already fought a FO battle with his past FO (and won) no matter what they think of Kelly's coaching abilities.

Baalke may go, but Chip won't. That's my guess. There will always be someone willing to take the GM job if the offer is right. I could see Mike Holmgren being interested in the SF job since he has roots there. Even with Chip Kelly a guy like Holmgren would make a big difference for that team.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if Gabbert looked better over a 7 game stretch. He isn't Kaepernick. Gabbert faced teams in the middle of a season that were preparing for an offense run by Kaep. It takes NFL defenses a good couple of months to prepare for a different QB under center. It's always been like that.

That stretch doesn't change anything from when Gabbert completely failed in Jacksonville while Kaep was leading the 49er's to the playoffs.

Kaep had a down year. That's for sure. But it doesn't change the fact that he is a better QB than Gabbert. They really are extremely similar QB's. Gabbert is just the poor man's Kaep.

That was more Alex Smith's team than Kaep's team in my opinion. Smith had that team winning long before Kaep took over. With the talent the 9ers had on their roster in '12 and '13 Gabbert would have looked good too. Not as dynamic as Kaep but that team would have still have had 10+ wins with Gabbert.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was more Alex Smith's team than Kaep's team in my opinion. Smith had that team winning long before Kaep took over. With the talent the 9ers had on their roster in '12 and '13 Gabbert would have looked good too. Not as dynamic as Kaep but that team would have still have had 10+ wins with Gabbert.

You really don't understand just how bad Gabbert sucked in Jacksonville. I googled knowing I would find something about it and I found gold:

Blaine Gabbert is the worst QB of the DVOA era

Gabbert in Jacksonville was the worst QB by their methodology since they started measuring 27 years ago.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't understand just how bad Gabbert sucked in Jacksonville. I googled knowing I would find something about it and I found gold:

Gabbert in Jacksonville was the worst QB by their methodology since they started measuring 27 years ago.

I get that, but my argument to that would be that Jacksonville team sucked as a whole while the Niners were stacked with talent and were already winning before Kaep took over. I think several QB's could have been successful on that team at that time. Kaep's biggest attribute (maybe his only one) was he was very flashy as a runner for a couple seasons. The rest of his QB skills were mediocre at best.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong. Just wrong. As a Niner fan who has watched every game since 1980, you couldn't be more wrong. Steve Young sucked ass in Tampa, was he doomed to suck the rest of his career? Just because Gabbert was shit in Jax, doesn't necessarily mean that he will continue to suck. If you watched any of the games this season, you would know that Gabbert got rid of the ball quicker, was more decisive, was more accurate, timed his throws better, and generally LED the team. Kaep hasn't shown the ability to read a defense worth a damn, he's way too inaccurate, constantly threw the ball late to WRs, resulting in WRs either getting blown up or CBs jumping the routes. Kaep is faster with a stronger arm but that doesn't mean he is a better QB. If that were the case Russell would still be in the league. Gabbert is more equipped to run a pro style offense. Is he great? Fuck no, but he's better then Kaep at a fraction of the cost.

As far as defenses needing months to prepare for a backup QB, that's a load of shit. They take 1 week, maybe 2 if there's a bye week. What you saw was the league figure Kaep out because he's a one trick pony. Once they spied him and played press man or disguised zones, he became a liability to the offense because he couldn't/wouldn't go through his progressions and/or make the throws necessary for the offense to continue. This wasn't a bad year, this was a bad TWO years...in a row.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but my argument to that would be that Jacksonville team sucked as a whole while the Niners were stacked with talent and were already winning before Kaep took over. I think several QB's could have been successful on that team at that time. Kaep's biggest attribute (maybe his only one) was he was very flashy as a runner for a couple seasons. The rest of his QB skills were mediocre at best.

He DID have a monster arm as well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly didn't exactly give him a ringing endorsement.

John Fox didn't give one to Cutler before this past season either and he was still the starter. I don't think these coaches want to get roped into having to stick with 1 QB because they gave such a ringing endorsement before they even watched them take a live snap in practice. Don't want to have to say "my bad" when you either bench or cut the player.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what you're saying but you're also talking about a QB who came out of college a year early to be a QB to a team under the notion that he was going to sit and be a project and then they threw him right out there. He is also 2 years younger than Kaepernick.