• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Judge Recommends Suspension of 6 Games for Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L No, sorry. Your agenda is obvious and your constant attempting to throw it the other way is not believed by anyone here no matter how many times you do it and honestly makes you look like an idiot. Watson assaulted/harassed these women and even a cursory knowledge of the law would tell you his not being formally charged doesn't say otherwise.
This is close to a lie by you but not quite. When have I ever said him not being charged means he is not guilty of anything?

I simply said you believe anything you hear against Watson and dismiss anything that supports him.

me - "they could likely justify anything from no suspension to a year or longer"

It's almost as though I don't know and think either side could be in the right or the wrong. But the former judge made her ruling based on the evidence presented to her.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Texans complicity in what he was doing in Houston, and Cleveland's not caring about any of that to the tune of $46 million dollars a year....

You do realize the irony of your stance given Big Ben right?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you click on the link there are 10 talking points listed

1. Judge Robinson, applying the "preponderance of the evidence" standard (more likely than not), found that Watson violated the PCP in three different ways: non-violent sexual assault; posing a danger to safety and well-being of another; undermining the integrity of the NFL.

2. The NFL submitted a 215-page investigation report, and it introduced evidence regarding five accusers. One was based on a media report, and Judge Robinson excluded it from the record. So there were four accusers whose claims were considered, not 24 or more.

3. Judge Robinson rejected Deshaun Watson's categorial denials of wrongdoing, along with his denial that he ever developed an erection during a massage. In the most tactful way possible, she concluded that he lied while testifying about the most important aspects of the case.

4. Judge Robinson found that Deshaun Watson: (a) intended to cause contact with his penis; (b) did so for a sexual purpose; and (c) knew such contact was unwanted.

5. As to the finding that Deshaun Watson's conduct undermined or placed at risk the integrity of the NFL, Judge Robinson pointed out that Watson invoked his status as an NFL player and used his ties to the Texans to reinforce his requests for massages focused on sensitive areas.

6. The NFL wanted a suspension of Deshaun Watson for all of the 2022 season, with reinstatement in 2023 hinging on specific conditions. The league said its request was unprecedented, because his conduct was unprecedented.

7. Judge Robinson concluded that the NFL was trying to change the standards for non-violent sexual assault without fair notice to the players. She called the proposed change to the rules "extraordinary."

8. Judge Robinson found two "aggravating factors": Deshaun Watson's expressed lack of remorse and his tardy notice to the NFL as to the first lawsuit. "Mitigating factors" were his status as first-time offender and his "excellent reputation" prior to this events.

9. Judge Robinson said that the league's stance on Deshaun Watson was a response to public outcry, and that the league is trying to impose a "dramatic shift" in the rules without fair notice to the players and others covered by the PCP.

10. Judge Robinson directs Deshaun Watson to limit massage therapy to club-directed sessions and club-approved therapists "for the duration of his career."

11. As to the comparison of Watson's punishment to the handling of owners, Judge Robinson acknowledged the legitimacy of the argument. It apparently didn't factor into her decision because of the unprecedented nature of the allegations. It could be an issue in future cases.

All makes sense.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the irony of your stance given Big Ben right?
What Ben did was disgusting. He earned his suspension, and should have gotten more. To his credit he appears to have straightened himself (or been straightened) out.

Certainly, sexual assault deserves more of a suspension than someone smoking weed habitually.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: Watson should be required to only be allowed to get massages from men.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Privilege!

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Ben did was disgusting. He earned his suspension, and should have gotten more. To his credit he appears to have straightened himself (or been straightened) out.

Certainly, sexual assault deserves more of a suspension than someone smoking weed habitually.

I wouldn't care if they completely eliminated weed testing but the players who got busted did so multiple multiple times. The examples used are the absolute most extreme examples. Josh Gordon is a complete jackass

If Deshaun did this a second time I'd suspect he'd get a lifetime ban

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't care if they completely eliminated weed testing but the players who got busted did so multiple multiple times. The examples used are the absolute most extreme examples. Josh Gordon is a complete jackass

If Deshaun did this a second time I'd suspect he'd get a lifetime ban
But it also didn't harm anyone, and didn't give him a competitive advantage.

It's one thing if they were caught driving high. Another to just piss hot.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich and famous player hires masseuses for a massage but expects them to give him sex in addition, just because he's a VIP. It's all mighty disgusting and folks have been forced out of jobs and position for similar behavior. I hope to god Watson doesn't get off with this slap on the wrist.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lets see if Goodell goes back on his word and appeals it, which means this womans ruling means nothing and Goodell can do whatever he wants.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich and famous player hires masseuses for a massage but expects them to give him sex in addition, just because he's a VIP. It's all mighty disgusting and folks have been forced out of jobs and position for similar behavior. I hope to god Watson doesn't get off with this slap on the wrist.

What were you expecting

At most it was going to be a year. Is the idea famous or rich people think women want to sleep with them some kind of new phenomenon?

She stated clearly the punishment for this first offense was 6 games. Had he been suspended before and then went about the same behavior she'd have thrown the book at him.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and if that doesn't change his requests?
It's worth a shot. It didn't work when he was able to pick his female victims on Instagram.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lets see if Goodell goes back on his word and appeals it, which means this womans ruling means nothing and Goodell can do whatever he wants.
Except if the arbiter finds the player innocent, otherwise the NFL reserves the right to change the punishment. While I'm sure the players won't like it they did allow this process per the CBA, as protecting the golden goose (the NFL) is/should be paramount to those receiving golden eggs so to speak.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At most it was going to be a year. Is the idea famous or rich people think women want to sleep with them some kind of new phenomenon?
Nope but many a VIP been forced out for sexual harassment of this sort. Roger Ailes comes to mind. Indefinite suspension is what I expect and hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.