• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Brown Admits to Abusing Wife

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No first time domestic abuse isn't an automatic 6 game suspension. Read the rules. Granted that is the part the press got on.

Information from Roger Goodell's letter to owners and ESPN sources on stepped-up punishment for abuse under NFL's personal conduct policy:

• Policy applies to all incidents involving physical force, not just domestic violence

• Six-game suspension for first offense (could be longer under certain circumstances)

• Lifetime ban for second offense (can apply for reinstatement after one year)

• Policy applies to all NFL personnel, not just players

• Policy is not retroactive; everyone starts with clean slate

• Those identified as "at risk" for committing offenses offered counseling; refusal could affect future discipline

• Confidential counseling offered to all personnel and families

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger has no part in those anymore.

But lets pretend here he did. How did he manage to convince Lisa Friel the former NY district attorney who spent 3 decades fighting against defendants of sexual abuse and domestic violence, who was one of the most well known and awarded sex crimes prosecutors in the country to go back against her entire life's stand over the punishment of a kicker?
Could you post a link saying this. To best of my knowledge Goodell hasn't given up this authority, and I couldn't find anything to support him doing so. Everything thing I've found still stares Roger hands out discipline.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones received lots of tolerance from the commish when he signed Greg Hardy to a contract.
Really? Look Hardy is an ASS but the league attempted to suspend Hardy on rules set after he committed his crime. How is that tolerance?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Information from Roger Goodell's letter to owners and ESPN sources on stepped-up punishment for abuse under NFL's personal conduct policy:

• Policy applies to all incidents involving physical force, not just domestic violence

• Six-game suspension for first offense (could be longer under certain circumstances)

• Lifetime ban for second offense (can apply for reinstatement after one year)

• Policy applies to all NFL personnel, not just players

• Policy is not retroactive; everyone starts with clean slate

• Those identified as "at risk" for committing offenses offered counseling; refusal could affect future discipline

• Confidential counseling offered to all personnel and families

And while that's what the media printed, they didn't cover the actual policy which says "with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances."

And that suspension is only handed out if "A. The person is found guilty by the courts... or B. if the NFL investigation demonstrates the person engaged in conduct prohibited by the policy."

I don't know why the Sheriff's office didn't share the facts of the case with the NFL, then 17 months later release them to other sources. That's where I'd like to see, because without that, you can't have A or B to pursue a 6 game suspension. NFL says it is even on the police report that the NFL requested the information on the case. They say they filed the right documents for a public records request and had 4 different people involved in the investigation ask multiple times. So my big question is why the Sheriff's dept wouldn't share that information with the league, but would with the media over a year later?

Now where this really could get messy is are the things that Brown described in his journal from before the new policy? Does "Policy is not retroactive, everyone starts with a clean slate" apply if it is true?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while that's what the media printed, they didn't cover the actual policy which says "with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances."

And that suspension is only handed out if "A. The person is found guilty by the courts... or B. if the NFL investigation demonstrates the person engaged in conduct prohibited by the policy."

I don't know why the Sheriff's office didn't share the facts of the case with the NFL, then 17 months later release them to other sources. That's where I'd like to see, because without that, you can't have A or B to pursue a 6 game suspension. NFL says it is even on the police report that the NFL requested the information on the case. They say they filed the right documents for a public records request and had 4 different people involved in the investigation ask multiple times. So my big question is why the Sheriff's dept wouldn't share that information with the league, but would with the media over a year later?

Now where this really could get messy is are the things that Brown described in his journal from before the new policy? Does "Policy is not retroactive, everyone starts with a clean slate" apply if it is true?
OK, so where do you get the 6 games isn'tautomatic? Every thing I've read says 1st offense = 6 games. If Brown dud enough to get one game he did enough to get 6, per NFL policy.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you post a link saying this. To best of my knowledge Goodell hasn't given up this authority, and I couldn't find anything to support him doing so. Everything thing I've found still stares Roger hands out discipline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/s...nes-atf-director-as-disciplinary-officer.html

there's an article on it.

NFL to split disciplinary officer’s duties between Todd Jones, Lisa Friel

better article from last year.

Basically how it is set up now is there are 9 NFL owners that every year look over the conduct policy and come up with revisions, etc to it. Kinda like how the NFL's rules committee works. Owners vote and that's the rules.

Based on the owners last vote how the conduct issues work is this:

Lisa Friel is the former DA who's in charge of NFL investigations into off-field issues. After her investigation, she reports to B Todd Jones (former ATF Director) who rules on the cases.

IF the player appeals, THEN Goodell hears the case (or appoints someone to hear it) and hands out discipline on appeals only.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so where do you get the 6 games isn'tautomatic? Every thing I've read says 1st offense = 6 games. If Brown dud enough to get one game he did enough to get 6, per NFL policy.

Because he wasn't found guilty and the NFL investigation didn't find him breaking the domestic violence part of the CBA. My guess is they found nothing with any sort of proof and gave him the one game since he wouldn't fit under the burden of proof required to hand out a 6 game suspension.

Think of it like the twitter accusation. Where a random woman accuses a player of beating her up. Should the NFL with no proof just go ahead and suspend him 6 games? What if the NFL finds no proof that the player actually beat her up, no evidence to push any criminal trial, but she hands the NFL some relevant proof that she knew the player?

Obviously nothing close to warranting a 6 game suspension as your investigation so far has uncovered zero evidence of a domestic violence situation... . Now if they interview the player and he claims he never saw her before in his life, you know he's lying, but have ZERO proof at all that he ever touched her. So maybe here you give a 1 game suspension because he was lying in the interview. Publicly your 1 game suspension stems from the investigation into his domestic violence accusation.

Of course if she made that claim and you found nothing at all to even show that those two had ever met. That she was just some random person on twitter... then 17 months later someone shows up to TMZ with cellphone footage showing him beating the hell out of her, you are screwed.

Last edited:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he wasn't found guilty and the NFL investigation didn't find him breaking the domestic violence part of the CBA. My guess is they found nothing with any sort of proof and gave him the one game since he wouldn't fit under the burden of proof required to hand out a 6 game suspension.

Think of it like the twitter accusation. Where a random woman accuses a player of beating her up. Should the NFL with no proof just go ahead and suspend him 6 games? What if the NFL finds no proof that the player actually beat her up, no evidence to push any criminal trial, but she hands the NFL some relevant proof that she knew the player?

Obviously nothing close to warranting a 6 game suspension as your investigation so far has uncovered zero evidence of a domestic violence situation... . Now if they interview the player and he claims he never saw her before in his life, you know he's lying, but have ZERO proof at all that he ever touched her. So maybe here you give a 1 game suspension because he was lying in the interview. Publicly your 1 game suspension stems from the investigation into his domestic violence accusation.

Of course if she made that claim and you found nothing at all to even show that those two had ever met. That she was just some random person on twitter... then 17 months later someone shows up to TMZ with cellphone footage showing him beating the hell out of her, you are screwed.
Then in that case he never should have gotten a 1 home suspension.
Not sure why you can't grasp the game first offense policy.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Goodell will just swipe this under the rug?

Either that or he will try to fine the Patriots, because obviously it has to be there fault somehow

So now his wife gets to divorce him and after attorney's fees and all that shit, Mr. Brown can get a job drying cars at the car wash for $10 an hour.

He better move here after his parole is over because they can wash cars 300 days a year here...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then in that case he never should have gotten a 1 home suspension.
Not sure why you can't grasp the game first offense policy.

Why not? What if he had lied about aspects of the investigation but they couldn't prove any actual domestic violence? What if they talked to his wife and she reported to them things, but they were unable to meet the burden of proof on those because of questions on her truthfulness?

Why can't a player be given a 1 game suspension if they feel that the player has done something wrong, maybe can prove he has done things wrong but that the burden of proof doesn't meet that of a 6 game suspension for domestic violence? Where is the NFL rule that if it doesn't meet the burden of proof for domestic violence, anything else uncovered must not be punished?

It happens ALL THE TIME in real life. When you don't have the evidence to give a certain charge that may carry a minimum sentence you move on and get a lesser charge. If you can't get a guy for first degree murder, maybe you go for involuntary manslaughter. Maybe while investigating a r*pe charge you don't have the evidence for that but are able to go after him for child ****.

It's real life. Not everything ends like Matlock where you get the guy right where you want him and catch him in the act.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Look Hardy is an ASS but the league attempted to suspend Hardy on rules set after he committed his crime. How is that tolerance?
Give me a break Manster and please take off your homer shades.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a break Manster and please take off your homer shades.
Truth isn't being a homer.
Did Goodell hand down a 10 suspension for a action that took place before the new rule was on place?
Now if the NFL used the new rules they put in place, shouldn't the suspension handed down been 6 games.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why the Sheriff's office didn't share the facts of the case with the NFL, then 17 months later release them to other sources.

If we're still talking about the Brown thing here....

Supposedly the "investigator" a.k.a. ass-clown, who contacted the sheriff used his own personal email account to do so. Not his official NFL Nazi one.

So the sheriff didn't know him from a hole in the ground, didn't ASSUME he had authority and told him nothing.

Imagine, official capacity, yet using his own personal email..... Who'd of thunk it....