• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Baldwin

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Baldwin only had 1 drop last season.
He is better than Jenkins. I'm not sure why this is even a debate here. A.J. was as bust...we move on. We might see him on one of those shows about the biggest top draft flops or a huge turn-around......dont bet on the latter. I never liked the pick....complained about the pick....I still wish the kid luck but I think it might end up as a Walmart greeter.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think Baldwin's hands are as bad as Jenkins' hands (last Friday notwithstanding). Baldwin has actually made some really hard catches & has large hands.

Hands haven't been his problem; I think it's been a combination of terrible coaching, terrible QB play and a simple case of not getting open. But with the way Kaep can sling it in there quickly and all the time the OL gives him to throw, he should have a much easier time getting open in a Niners' uniform.

One thing to add is while I'm not a huge veteran leadership guy I do think playing with a pro like Boldin could help him.

Boldin is a consummate pro and KC didn't really have much in terms of veteran leadership especially at WR. So if Baldwin is willing he could learn a lot from Boldin in terms of what you need to do to be successful as a WR in the league.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think a huge question for this season will be: is Baldwin a deep threat?

I think the Niners have everything they could possibly want in an offense except a deep threat (assuming McDonald plays as well as Walker).

1. Best OL in the NFL. Amazing run-blocking; top 5 (at least) pass-blocking.
2. A franchise QB who can make any throw with great velocity.
3. One of the best RB tandems in the NFL for running the ball.
4. A speed 'back in Lamichael James not just for running the ball but for catching it.
5. A TE corps consisting of the best TE in football and a promising, big, fast, tough TE in McDonald to make 2 TE sets a pain in defenses' asses.
6. WRs who are great at blocking
7. WRs who are good at picking up first downs (especially when Crabby returns).

...the ONLY thing the offense might be missing is (8) a deep threat at WR. So the question is this: is Baldwin a deep threat? He's almost 6'5 w/ good speed, so he'd have an advantage catching deep passes on the run. But is he fast enough to be in the best position for those passes?

If Baldwin can be a legitimate deep threat (the one I wanted in Mike Wallace before the 2012 season), then the offense pretty much has everything you'd want to make it impossible to predict what was coming next. That would be an exciting break from what I expected of the Niners' offense every season before: an extremely predictable & easy-to-defend offense w/ Alex at the helm.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Baldwin adds the deep threat we need.... the size is great, he recognizes he's in a great situation without working for it so he better take advantage and make plays.... no alligator hands please

Not to mention, MM will be back at aleast after wk 6 so we can hope for some help with Baldwin and KW...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Could be, but don't underestimate Andy Reid (if he had a hand in this trade). He can be sneaky smart when it comes to dealing his players. He is not the the type of guy who will just give up on someone who he feels has a bright future. Either way, the niners made a great move trading Jenkins. It was obvious he was never going to work out in SF so getting something for nothing was smart.

Well he certainly called Kolb, but he might have had one or two second thoughts about the Chris Clemmons trade. Granted that's offense vs. defense.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is better than Jenkins. I'm not sure why this is even a debate here. A.J. was as bust...we move on. We might see him on one of those shows about the biggest top draft flops or a huge turn-around......dont bet on the latter. I never liked the pick....complained about the pick....I still wish the kid luck but I think it might end up as a Walmart greeter.

Chiefs were willing to take on Jenkins' guaranteed contract for 2014. The 49ers took Baldwin for no risk, probably even lightens the salary load for this year. Reading between the lines I think this trade speaks volumes more about AJ than Jon.

As a Jenkins apologist I must point out that the 1st target with AJ Jenkins/Sean Smith matched up one on one there was some definite pulling of the jersey while the ball was in the air. I've seen this kind of jocking for position with Seattle, so it's get-a-way-withable, but I have seen it called before too. On the 2nd target he was underthrown(Though high degree of difficulty). Surprise Colt McCoy's deep ball is terrible. The 1st and the 2nd game INTs going to Jenkins, if those balls were caught would the disappointment with AJ have reached the stage it has?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chiefs were willing to take on Jenkins' guaranteed contract for 2014. The 49ers took Baldwin for no risk, probably even lightens the salary load for this year. Reading between the lines I think this trade speaks volumes more about AJ than Jon.

As a Jenkins apologist I must point out that the 1st target with AJ Jenkins/Sean Smith matched up one on one there was some definite pulling of the jersey while the ball was in the air. I've seen this kind of jocking for position with Seattle, so it's get-a-way-withable, but I have seen it called before too. On the 2nd target he was underthrown(Though high degree of difficulty). Surprise Colt McCoy's deep ball is terrible. The 1st and the 2nd game INTs going to Jenkins, if those balls were caught would the disappointment with AJ have reached the stage it has?

I think his biggest problem was they ran out of patience after this kept happening in practice after practice after practice. It might be after KC releases him that the light bulb is forced on, or burnt out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So which WRs do the Niners keep and how many?

Boldin, Craby & Manningham look like locks (otherwise Manningham would've been cut by now right?). Patton seems like a lock because they're not just gonna cut a 4th round rookie. That's 4.

They signed Osgood to play special teams, so why would they cut him? Doesn't seem like he has anything to prove. Why sign him in the first place if he's not gonna make the team? I suppose someone could steal his spot on ST, but he's a pretty good, established ST player; so I think that's unlikely.

That leaves Baldwin, Kyle, Collie, Lockette, Moore & Chad Hall. I could see 'em keeping 7 WRs around until Crabby comes back from injury. So only 2 of those guys should be on the team. So are Lockette, Collie, Moore & Hall as good as cut?

[YOUTUBE]5M2R3P-IN-Q[/YOUTUBE]

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boldin, Craby & Manningham look like locks (otherwise Manningham would've been cut by now right?). Patton seems like a lock because they're not just gonna cut a 4th round rookie. That's 4.

They signed Osgood to play special teams, so why would they cut him? Doesn't seem like he has anything to prove. Why sign him in the first place if he's not gonna make the team? I suppose someone could steal his spot on ST, but he's a pretty good, established ST player; so I think that's unlikely.

That leaves Baldwin, Kyle, Collie, Lockette, Moore & Chad Hall. I could see 'em keeping 7 WRs around until Crabby comes back from injury. So only 2 of those guys should be on the team. So are Lockette, Collie, Moore & Hall as good as cut?

Harbaugh has said Moore is a top 3 WR he is safe. Osgood is on the bubble. In the end I think it goes Boldin Moore Williams Patton Baldwin Manningham Crabtree.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a huge question for this season will be: is Baldwin a deep threat?

I think the Niners have everything they could possibly want in an offense except a deep threat (assuming McDonald plays as well as Walker).

1. Best OL in the NFL. Amazing run-blocking; top 5 (at least) pass-blocking.
2. A franchise QB who can make any throw with great velocity.
3. One of the best RB tandems in the NFL for running the ball.
4. A speed 'back in Lamichael James not just for running the ball but for catching it.
5. A TE corps consisting of the best TE in football and a promising, big, fast, tough TE in McDonald to make 2 TE sets a pain in defenses' asses.
6. WRs who are great at blocking
7. WRs who are good at picking up first downs (especially when Crabby returns).

...the ONLY thing the offense might be missing is (8) a deep threat at WR. So the question is this: is Baldwin a deep threat? He's almost 6'5 w/ good speed, so he'd have an advantage catching deep passes on the run. But is he fast enough to be in the best position for those passes?

If Baldwin can be a legitimate deep threat (the one I wanted in Mike Wallace before the 2012 season), then the offense pretty much has everything you'd want to make it impossible to predict what was coming next. That would be an exciting break from what I expected of the Niners' offense every season before: an extremely predictable & easy-to-defend offense w/ Alex at the helm.

Sick, a little overzealous about Vance Ronald McDonald. He's a rookie man, let's wait and see...at this time our depth at TE (TE corps as a whole is not good until further notice). Mediocre at best because of Vernon's presence. It's like saying the Lions have the best WR coprs in football because of Calvin Johnson. I know that one player can boost the ranking of an entire position, but to make an argument for McDonald at this point is getting carried with ourselves.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

i think keeping 7 will put too much pressure on our other roster spots. in general they only keep 5-6 WRs. If they went with 7 I'm having a hard time figuring out what position (OL, DL, LB, CB???) they'd cut numbers at. So I say they stick with 6.

Manningham and Crab start on PUP, so they don't count.

It's become fairly obvious listening to Harbaugh's quotes that Boldin, Williams, and Moore are locks to make the roster.

They will keep the rook, Patton. Great attitude and worth investing in.

That leaves Osgood, Baldwin, Collie, Lockette, Hall, Hawkins, Jacobs. I don't think Osgood makes it just because "Why sign him in the first place if he's not gonna make the team?" That line of reasoning could be used for every guy on the roster. He has shown over his career that he can't play WR and is only good for STs...not the versatility that Harbaugh is looking for...he's out.

I think Baldwin makes the team because he provides size and speed...a combo that is missing in this group. His talent is worth taking a flyer on to see what pans out this season.

That leaves Collie, Hall, Hawkins, Lockette, and Jacobs for the last spot. These last 2 preseason games will decide what happens for this group but i see it coming down to Hall vs. Collie. If Hall can show that he can make an impact in a game situation (and not just practice) then he makes it due to his ST contributions and Collie's injury risk. If Hall continues to just be a good practice player then they'll go with Collie who has shown he can be a major contributor when healthy.

Jacobs will make PS and they will try to put Lockette on there too if he can pass waivers. I've always liked Lockette's potential but this is the year he should be fulfilling that potential and I don't think the coaching staff is seeing it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin makes more money. We added an extra 500K I think it will be worth it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is giving Jacobs a shot. He has looked better then most on the team right now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think keeping 7 will put too much pressure on our other roster spots. in general they only keep 5-6 WRs. If they went with 7 I'm having a hard time figuring out what position (OL, DL, LB, CB???) they'd cut numbers at. So I say they stick with 6.

It's become fairly obvious listening to Harbaugh's quotes that Boldin, Williams, and Moore are locks to make the roster.

That leaves Osgood, Baldwin, Collie, Lockette, Hall, Hawkins, Jacobs. I don't think Osgood makes it just because "Why sign him in the first place if he's not gonna make the team?" That line of reasoning could be used for every guy on the roster. He has shown over his career that he can't play WR and is only good for STs...not the versatility that Harbaugh is looking for...he's out.

I think Baldwin makes the team because he provides size and speed...a combo that is missing in this group. His talent is worth taking a flyer on to see what pans out this season.

That leaves Collie, Hall, Hawkins, Lockette, and Jacobs for the last spot. These last 2 preseason games will decide what happens for this group but i see it coming down to Hall vs. Collie. If Hall can show that he can make an impact in a game situation (and not just practice) then he makes it due to his ST contributions and Collie's injury risk. If Hall continues to just be a good practice player then they'll go with Collie who has shown he can be a major contributor when healthy.

Jacobs will make PS and they will try to put Lockette on there too if he can pass waivers. I've always liked Lockette's potential but this is the year he should be fulfilling that potential and I don't think the coaching staff is seeing it.

since Lockette is on the older side, think they'll move on. also, with six WR's on the roster, less pressure to keep one on the PS.

in the event of early season injury, you can consider bringing one of these guys back.

then mid-season, it'll be interesting to see if Crabtree and/or Manningham are activated? if so, who do they release then, since neither of these guys are special teamers.

Craig Anderson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Jenkins as has been mentioned, was his confusing refusal to give 100%. He even passed up working out with Jerry RICE! Jerry FREAKIKNG Rice! I knew then that something was up with Jenkins. IDK how Baldwin will turn out, but I think Jenkins will never amount to anything.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: pretty much how I see it playing out as of now