• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Baldwin

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see tho if both MM and crabs do in fact come back then who gets the axe.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM & Crabs on the PUP...

Boldin,Baldwin,KW,Patton,Moore/Hall would be my picks.... maybe keep an extra LB or Lineman til MM n Crabtree returns...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm reading that Baldwin only had 1 drop last season.

Obviously with a stat like "drops" it depends on which source you look at, but the place I trust most has 1 drop for him last year and 6 in 2011. Three of which in 2011 came in his 2nd NFL game of his career against San Diego. With that said, drops is only half the story. How natural he is as a pass catcher is another thing and I have not seen enough of him in his NFL career to have too strong of an opinion on him in that area.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Obviously with a stat like "drops" it depends on which source you look at, but the place I trust most has 1 drop for him last year and 6 in 2011. Three of which in 2011 came in his 2nd NFL game of his career against San Diego. With that said, drops is only half the story. How natural he is as a pass catcher is another thing and I have not seen enough of him in his NFL career to have too strong of an opinion on him in that area.

Thoughts on the trade? I have trouble keeping track of who thought what about Jenkins.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thoughts on the trade? I have trouble keeping track of who thought what about Jenkins.

Normally I wouldn't respond to that question on a message board because it bothers the heck out of me how some fans like to go back and restate how they felt about a player so I stay away from it as often as I can myself. The way many often phrase their feelings and give their reasons bugs the heck out of me. But since you asked me specifically I'll tell you what I said on this very board when he was drafted.

"I really like a lot about the player but the 1st round is 'very, very high' to take him in my eyes and not something I'd have done myself had I been in charge.

The very earliest I'd have considered him had I been in charge of an offense from scratch was the 3rd round but with the 49ers structure and offense scheme he'd have probably been one of the top targets to me in the 4th. I had some doubt about him progressing in this type of offensive structure, with these coaches, with where he was at that point in his life.

I provided several items showing that he had a whole lot of maturing to do as a player, both mentally and physically, and that it was important for him to fit in right away and have a strong support staff around him to help keep him interested in the weight room and on point in the classroom. I thought there was a high probability that his chances of succeeding would go south if he didn't fit in well with his teammates and if he didn't mesh well together with his position coaches.

Now, about Baldwin. I developed the impression early on in his college career he had a lot of growing up to do as well and also needs strong people around him who are good influences on him. Kind of confident still that could be the case with him. Very unsure if he's as good of a guy as Jenkins but there's so much one could say about that - good and bad.

I was never that big of an advocate for Baldwin coming into the NFL and it wouldn't shock me if he's not a member of the 49ers for very long. But considering it did not appear like the light was going to flip on for Jenkins in this structure, it's good they got something for him assuming they like Baldwin more than anything else out there on the street, which I'd have to believe they do. Baldwin does have some characteristics that could be used on this roster if everything else works out.

I don't know what else they could have turned Jenkins into via a different trade, but if you gave me a list of players that might've been an option instead of Baldwin, I very well might have been able to point to one or even a couple that I'd have liked more, but who knows? I'm just saying that I'm not a huge Baldwin guy and as much as I liked Jenkins as a possible 3rd/4th option before coming into the NFL, it's likely that that was never going to happen with the 49ers. In the end, I wouldn't bet on this trade swaying big time in favor of one team or the other, but I kind of understand what both teams were going for a little bit. I just don't have even mild sized expectations as a 49ers fan myself.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Normally I wouldn't respond to that question on a message board because it bothers the heck out of me how some fans like to go back and restate how they felt about a player so I stay away from it as often as I can myself. The way many often phrase their feelings and give their reasons bugs the heck out of me. But since you asked me specifically I'll tell you what I said on this very board when he was drafted.

"I really like a lot about the player but the 1st round is 'very, very high' to take him in my eyes and not something I'd have done myself had I been in charge.

The very earliest I'd have considered him had I been in charge of an offense from scratch was the 3rd round but with the 49ers structure and offense scheme he'd have probably been one of the top targets to me in the 4th. I had some doubt about him progressing in this type of offensive structure, with these coaches, with where he was at that point in his life.

I provided several items showing that he had a whole lot of maturing to do as a player, both mentally and physically, and that it was important for him to fit in right away and have a strong support staff around him to help keep him interested in the weight room and on point in the classroom. I thought there was a high probability that his chances of succeeding would go south if he didn't fit in well with his teammates and if he didn't mesh well together with his position coaches.

Now, about Baldwin. I developed the impression early on in his college career he had a lot of growing up to do as well and also needs strong people around him who are good influences on him. Kind of confident still that could be the case with him. Very unsure if he's as good of a guy as Jenkins but there's so much one could say about that - good and bad.

I was never that big of an advocate for Baldwin coming into the NFL and it wouldn't shock me if he's not a member of the 49ers for very long. But considering it did not appear like the light was going to flip on for Jenkins in this structure, it's good they got something for him assuming they like Baldwin more than anything else out there on the street, which I'd have to believe they do. Baldwin does have some characteristics that could be used on this roster if everything else works out.

I don't know what else they could have turned Jenkins into via a different trade, but if you gave me a list of players that might've been an option instead of Baldwin, I very well might have been able to point to one or even a couple that I'd have liked more, but who knows? I'm just saying that I'm not a huge Baldwin guy and as much as I liked Jenkins as a possible 3rd/4th option before coming into the NFL, it's likely that that was never going to happen with the 49ers. In the end, I wouldn't bet on this trade swaying big time in favor of one team or the other, but I kind of understand what both teams were going for a little bit. I just don't have even mild sized expectations as a 49ers fan myself.

my opinion too.

not rooting against Baldwin by any means, but not expecting much either. IMO his production in the NFL trumps his measurables.

initially thought he's facing tough odds just making the 53, but read an article afterward (Maiooco?) which put up a good case due to cap reasons alone.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thing about Jenkins as has been mentioned, was his confusing refusal to give 100%. He even passed up working out with Jerry RICE! Jerry FREAKIKNG Rice! I knew then that something was up with Jenkins. IDK how Baldwin will turn out, but I think Jenkins will never amount to anything.

Does anyone know how that really went down though? Did Jerry Rice end up blowing him off or was it really the other way around?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a little of young Terrel Owens in Baldwin

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I've been looking for those posts for so long. IIRC, you wrote he was arrogant (maybe used another word). What were those examples again?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, a little overzealous about Vance Ronald McDonald. He's a rookie man, let's wait and see...at this time our depth at TE (TE corps as a whole is not good until further notice). Mediocre at best because of Vernon's presence. It's like saying the Lions have the best WR coprs in football because of Calvin Johnson. I know that one player can boost the ranking of an entire position, but to make an argument for McDonald at this point is getting carried with ourselves.

The way I put it "assuming Vance McDonald plays as well as Walker) wasn't to suggest that I am actually assuming he will. I should have been more clear. That was to say that IF Vance plays as well as Walker, the only question I would have left about the offense is a legitimate deep threat. Obviously Vance could be a pro bowl caliber TE, a total bust or anything in between and time will tell.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one thing that might stop Baldwin will be Harbauugh's treatment of him. If he tries to show him who is boss like he did with Brandon Jacobs we'll likely lose him because he will shut down and pout.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one thing that might stop Baldwin will be Harbauugh's treatment of him. If he tries to show him who is boss like he did with Brandon Jacobs we'll likely lose him because he will shut down and pout.

What do you mean by "show him who is boss?" What specifically did Harbaugh do to Jacobs to "show him who is boss?" What about Baldwin makes you think he will shut down if treated similarly? And what is the alternative way for a head coach to act?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "show him who is boss?" What specifically did Harbaugh do to Jacobs to "show him who is boss?" What about Baldwin makes you think he will shut down if treated similarly? And what is the alternative way for a head coach to act?

My understanding is that Harbaugh and Jacobs had a disagrement over the latter's role on the team and got into a "whose dick is bigger" confrontation over it and with Jacobs being as immature as he is, a trait I believe Baldwin shares with him, he shut down and pouted instead of trying to work to get back in Harbaugh's good graces.

Now, I'm all for the coach exerting control but I don't think you can always have a "My way or the highhway" approach with today's professional athlete and I think Harbaugh mishandled that particular situation. And I believe, in this case, it cost us a Super Bowl Championship.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that Harbaugh and Jacobs had a disagrement over the latter's role on the team and got into a "whose dick is bigger" confrontation over it and with Jacobs being as immature as he is, a trait I believe Baldwin shares with him, he shut down and pouted instead of trying to work to get back in Harbaugh's good graces.

Now, I'm all for the coach exerting control but I don't think you can always have a "My way or the highhway" approach with today's professional athlete and I think Harbaugh mishandled that particular situation. And I believe, in this case, it cost us a Super Bowl Championship.

Bullshit. He is basically the boss saying, you are either all in or you are out. Jacobs was unhappy with his role and pouted, but Jacobs didn't cost us the Super Bowl. Poor defense in the first half and some sketchy offensive play calling was at fault, not a RB that didn't contribute last year based on a poor attitude.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. He is basically the boss saying, you are either all in or you are out. Jacobs was unhappy with his role and pouted, but Jacobs didn't cost us the Super Bowl. Poor defense in the first half and some sketchy offensive play calling was at fault, not a RB that didn't contribute last year based on a poor attitude.

Your opinion is valid. I just don't think a coach can take a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with players. I'd have liked to see Harbaugh do a one on one thing with Jacobs, maybe explain where he was coming from instead of taking snipes in the paper about Jacobs not working hard enough to come back from injury. I know he hoped to fire Jacobs up but predictably it had the opposite effect. I think Harbaugh's ego and stubbornness are a weakness rather than an asset sometimes.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your opinion is valid. I just don't think a coach can take a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with players. I'd have liked to see Harbaugh do a one on one thing with Jacobs, maybe explain where he was coming from instead of taking snipes in the paper about Jacobs not working hard enough to come back from injury. I know he hoped to fire Jacobs up but predictably it had the opposite effect. I think Harbaugh's ego and stubbornness are a weakness rather than an asset sometimes.

The flip side of that is the question of how a team would respond to seeing a coach treat certain guys differently. That can have every bit as damaging - or more so - an effect. Particularly when it's not an established guy who has earned the different treatment.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flip side of that is the question of how a team would respond to seeing a coach treat certain guys differently. That can have every bit as damaging - or more so - an effect. Particularly when it's not an established guy who has earned the different treatment.

But don't they do that on every team in every sport? I get your point about Jacobs not being an established guy on the team but Jacobs got hurt and probably felt he wasn't getting the support he should have gotten from the coaches or the benefit of the doubt as a fairly well established veteran in the league. I believe he scored 8 or 9 touchdowns the year before he came to SF and most of those were short yardage situations. I think he could have been a valuable asset in that area for the 49ers; especially during that fiasco down by the goal line at the end of the Super Bowl.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is no longer required to let reporters in, so I don't think anyone has seen him practice.

And Harbaugh is so passively aggressive with the media that he purposely deflects every question they ask him about such things.