• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Johnny Manziel may never see the field in Cleveland

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer is getting it done, and I don't see Johnny being the patient type. My guess is one of them gets traded in the offseason. I think if the Browns are smart they keep the proven commodity and trade the Rook.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't exactly call hoyer a proven commodity.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way you even consider getting rid of Manziel for 30 year old hoyer.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta keep Hoyer and give him a contract if he keeps this up. Best thing possible for JFF is for him to sit at least a year, learn the system and mature. Its a luxury Cleveland has not had with their rookies in a long long time.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Football has done Johnny shit. What leverage would he have in demanding a trade and who would trade for him? Cleveland holds all the cards and can hang onto JFF until his rookie contract until it expires. Why would the Browns even entertain a trade unless it was over the top? This Scenario is highly unlikely on every account.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Hoyer is 30 is far from a detriment.

The fact he is 30 and never played like this until this year, is a detriment. Matt Flynn looked like the real deal for one year. Cassell too. Cousins was supposed to be good after half a year and ST.

Anyone saying Hoyer should be signed long term based on half a season is optimistic. JFF may not be anything either, so don't think this is a mancrush. Brakes just need to be tapped on signing Hoyer to a long term deal.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want either as a starter.

No reason to move away from Hoyer but I doubt the Browns brass are settled on him being their longterm starter. I doubt even more they give two shits what Johnny Foozball thinks about anything. If he wants to play football, he's playing football in Cleveland. Unless Cleveland gets more in return than they think he's worth.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want either as a starter.

No reason to move away from Hoyer but I doubt the Browns brass are settled on him being their longterm starter. I doubt even more they give two shits what Johnny Foozball thinks about anything. If he wants to play football, he's playing football in Cleveland. Unless Cleveland gets more in return than they think he's worth.

Gotta give Hoyer a contract if he keeps this up. He's 9-3 as a starter. We are over 1/2 way through this season and no one in their right mind thinks JFF should see the field except in garbage time.

I'm not saying sign the guy to a monster, long contract, but he has earned at least 2-3 years. Can't do anything till the end of the year, but if he keeps it up, it would be foolish to let him go.

In the meantime, JFF can continue to learn the system and mature. It will do him a lot of good to sit.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact he is 30 and never played like this until this year, is a detriment. Matt Flynn looked like the real deal for one year. Cassell too. Cousins was supposed to be good after half a year and ST.

Anyone saying Hoyer should be signed long term based on half a season is optimistic. JFF may not be anything either, so don't think this is a mancrush. Brakes just need to be tapped on signing Hoyer to a long term deal.

He played well last year before his injury, that is enough for one to believe(with a new scheme) that Hoyer is fully capable of leading a team without worry from some "Cocaines a helluva Drug" rookie tugging at his coketails... Under two different regimes, Hoyer has proven capable.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give Hoyer a contract if he keeps this up. He's 9-3 as a starter. We are over 1/2 way through this season and no one in their right mind thinks JFF should see the field except in garbage time.

I'm not saying sign the guy to a monster, long contract, but he has earned at least 2-3 years. Can't do anything till the end of the year, but if he keeps it up, it would be foolish to let him go.

In the meantime, JFF can continue to learn the system and mature. It will do him a lot of good to sit.

:agree:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played well last year before his injury, that is enough for one to believe(with a new scheme) that Hoyer is fully capable of leading a team without worry from some "Cocaines a helluva Drug" rookie tugging at his coketails... Under two different regimes, Hoyer has proven capable.

I'd say he is capable for a one year guarantee contract and nothing more. Maybe more years with an out clause. I haven't seen most of his games, but his stats are pedestrian. If he had another year, I'd say Browns are smart to play him out and keep JFF on the bench. He is going to want a multiyear deal that won't be cheap. I don't see that being a wise choice.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think letting him leave is a great idea. But I also don't see him getting a big enough payday anywhere else (to start) that it will matter. Id assume he'd rather stay in Ohio and be home, where people seem to love him. Him getting garaunteed, good, back up money should keep him home. Maybe not, idk.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he is capable for a one year guarantee contract and nothing more. Maybe more years with an out clause. I haven't seen most of his games, but his stats are pedestrian. If he had another year, I'd say Browns are smart to play him out and keep JFF on the bench. He is going to want a multiyear deal that won't be cheap. I don't see that being a wise choice.

The offense is run based and he is a game manager type...similar to an Alex Smith. He isn't going to blow anyone away with stats, but he typically is going to protect the ball and make smart decisions.

I agree 100% that at this point in the season it too early to be slinging contracts about. But, if he keeps this up, we could be talking about a 9-win Cleveland squad. Maybe even 10 wins. That deserves at least a few years and starter salary.

The best thing of all is with the team winning under Hoyer, there is no pressure at all to get JFF in early. Its a perfect scenario for Johnny to learn to be a professional.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think letting him leave is a great idea. But I also don't see him getting a big enough payday anywhere else (to start) that it will matter. Id assume he'd rather stay in Ohio and be home, where people seem to love him. Him getting garaunteed, good, back up money should keep him home. Maybe not, idk.

I think the Browns will pony up some money and pay him reasonable if they continue on this path. I have no idea what "decent" starting QB money is, but if he gets them to .500 at the end of the year or better, he deserves a few years at that level.

You're right that most other teams would view him as a backup. Teams in need of a QB are looking towards the draft, and other teams would view him as a valuable 2nd guy. That said, a team like Houston would love a game manager like Hoyer over Fitz. We will see how Mallett does. A lot of teams are a game manager type away from being competitive.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly... Hoyer has never been anything special until very recently. At 30, the guy is just now having a particularly good season. History would tell us that chances are more likely that this year is more likely to be the exception to the rule on his general performance, rather than becoming what he is like for the rest of his career.

Honestly, in my opinion, if the Browns have any feeling that Manziel might be the real deal based on what they see from him, I'd say they should trade Hoyer at the end of the year to a QB desperate team willing to give up a decent haul for him, then roll the dice with Manziel. The chances that Hoyer becomes a franchise QB for the next 7 or 8 years are not very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This JFB/Hoyer situation reminds me of Warner/Leinshart in AZ. Johnny Party might learn something this year on the pine but like a huge might

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly... Hoyer has never been anything special until very recently. At 30, the guy is just now having a particularly good season. History would tell us that chances are more likely that this year is more likely to be the exception to the rule on his general performance, rather than becoming what he is like for the rest of his career.

To be fair, he has never really gotten a chance. Backing up Brady in NE, he isn't going to see much PT. He was a backup in Pitt after that and saw a few games in AZ before arriving in Cleveland last year.

The only time he has really been given a chance was last year and this year, and he is showing what he can do. I think he is a strong leader in the clubhouse and a field general. Even if he isn't putting up huge numbers, he's the kind of guy that others seem to really get up and support. I hope the best for him.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

9-3