• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Johnny Manziel may never see the field in Cleveland

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns will pony up some money and pay him reasonable if they continue on this path. I have no idea what "decent" starting QB money is, but if he gets them to .500 at the end of the year or better, he deserves a few years at that level.

You're right that most other teams would view him as a backup. Teams in need of a QB are looking towards the draft, and other teams would view him as a valuable 2nd guy. That said, a team like Houston would love a game manager like Hoyer over Fitz. We will see how Mallett does. A lot of teams are a game manager type away from being competitive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Houston. Malletts arm is top notch. He's not overly athletic and from the sounds of things, somewhat of the Manziel-type when in comes to personality. NE opted for his arm and baggage over Hoyer, then dealt him anyway. Other than TB, StL, The Jets, Houston and possibly Buffalo, I don't think the Browns will have any competition when it comes to any type of starter money. But I don't think it takes starter money.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he has never really gotten a chance. Backing up Brady in NE, he isn't going to see much PT. He was a backup in Pitt after that and saw a few games in AZ before arriving in Cleveland last year.

The only time he has really been given a chance was last year and this year, and he is showing what he can do. I think he is a strong leader in the clubhouse and a field general. Even if he isn't putting up huge numbers, he's the kind of guy that others seem to really get up and support. I hope the best for him.

You have a point. I hold no ill will towards the guy and wouldn't mind seeing him have long term success, I just seriously doubt he'll turn into a long term unquestioned franchise QB for Cleveland. Granted, even if he were to continue performing as good or somewhat worse than he currently has been, he'd automatically be the greatest Browns QB since the franchise was established in 1999.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard since the browns came back into the league Hoyer is the only QB for them with a winning record. I don't see the Browns in a hurry to get rid of him. JFB can sit on the bench for a couple years if Hoyer keeps winning. Nothing JFB can do about it. Why get rid of either of them unless a trade heavily in the browns favor came across to them.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may never see the field in Cleveland.........but I hear that Cincinnati may be looking for a QB

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd definitely keep him for a couple more years... there's no telling what Hoyer will do after this season

If they do get rid of Manziel, it's just another wasted draft pick... 5 drafted quarterbacks in a decade who didn't pan out?

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact he is 30 and never played like this until this year, is a detriment. Matt Flynn looked like the real deal for one year. Cassell too. Cousins was supposed to be good after half a year and ST.

Matt Flynn is not a good example... he had 2 career starts to base off his performance when he went to Seahawks. Not a very large sample size.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well decent quarterback money right now is in the $15 million range. I mean if guys like Cutler are making over $18 million my guess is that $15 million would be where things start for the Browns and Hoyer if they resign him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to Hoyer's sample size?

At least at this point Hoyer is 12 games in and has played for 2 different regimes in Cleveland yet remains the starter. Usually if a player can switch regimes and still play at a pretty good level then there is a good chance they are starter quality. Not saying Hoyer is going to blow anybody away but I think he has proven enough to deserve at least a look as a starter long term somewhere.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 90 qb rating? hoyer just tearing it up.

manziel looked better in preaseaon.

hoyers a decent backup, manziel is the starter. you keep them both. manziel starts next year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly... Hoyer has never been anything special until very recently. At 30, the guy is just now having a particularly good season. History would tell us that chances are more likely that this year is more likely to be the exception to the rule on his general performance, rather than becoming what he is like for the rest of his career.

Honestly, in my opinion, if the Browns have any feeling that Manziel might be the real deal based on what they see from him, I'd say they should trade Hoyer at the end of the year to a QB desperate team willing to give up a decent haul for him, then roll the dice with Manziel. The chances that Hoyer becomes a franchise QB for the next 7 or 8 years are not very good.

Agreed, especially on that last part. The Bucs should be looking for another over-hyped backup to start again by next year, for example.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hoyers a decent backup, manziel is the starter. you keep them both. manziel starts next year.

During the preseason didn't Johnny Finger see mostly 2nd & 3rd string D's while Hoyer was the one playing against the 1st team D's? If so that makes a big difference.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnny Finger is the starter yet he hasn't gotten on the field this year?:scratch: I'd rather keep focus on this year & not even think about next year yet.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnny Finger is the starter yet he hasn't gotten on the field this year?:scratch: I'd rather keep focus on this year & not even think about next year yet.

Yeah, I don't quite understand the logic that JFF is the starter when he hasn't even seen the field this year but for a handful of snaps. Hoyer is the guy this year, and if they have a good season, probably next year too. They had an open QB competition in the preseason and Hoyer flat out beat Manziel.

Johnny could have the higher upside potential, but he isn't there yet. He might not be there next year. It would be utterly foolish to give away the only starting QB you've had success with since re-establishing the franchise in favor of an unproven commodity.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are forgetting that Cleveland has 2 first round picks again this year thanks to Buffalo (who I wish would stop winning). They aren't hurting for draft picks. Trading Manziel isn't in the cards and Hoyer is worth more to them than they would get for him in the market. Best bet is to keep both of them for at least the next few years.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a lil' of that game last night. Hoyer has a quick accurate release no doubt. Brownies L@@KING good and tied for 1st place in the AL Central division. Good stuff going on up there.

Manziels wheels NOT NEEDED yet.