• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they can pay for those extra games though by the money brought in. TV deals would go up because hey they have 2 more weeks if not 3 (might add in a 2nd bye week to appease the players) where games are on their networks. Plus then you throw in stadium revenue and such it adds up to more money for the league. So players would get a bit more money and owners would probably stay close to the same if not a bit more.

I think the revenue split would probably stay 50/50...where the owners would cash in would be the one extra home game, suite revenue, parking, concessions...monies the players don't share in.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the revenue split would probably stay 50/50...where the owners would cash in would be the one extra home game, suite revenue, parking, concessions...monies the players don't share in.

I wonder how much they make per game in that area. I mean because you have to pay the salaries of the workers for that week. Ye they would make some money but I'm not sure it would be so much that it would change things dramatically for the owners.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's that simple, and both sides do look bad, but the Chargers have looked bad in this light before. Obviously they don't give a shit, this is how Spanos want to run his biz...At this point...who needs who the most? I think Bosa needs the Chargers more.
It's tough to answer, the Chargers need him in their lineup to help pressure QB's. One can say that they aren't going to contend with or without Bosa, if that was the case then Bosa definitely needs them more. I don't think that's the case and they could win the division although less likely to do so than the other 3 teams. I shouldn't be too shocked by the Chargers playing hardball, but it's annoying nonetheless. I guess I'd agree he needs them more, but it's gotten to the point where I don't care which side is more right/wrong and who needs who more. It needs to end and his ass needs to get some preseason game action.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much they make per game in that area. I mean because you have to pay the salaries of the workers for that week. Ye they would make some money but I'm not sure it would be so much that it would change things dramatically for the owners.

Yeah, there's expenses tied to the revenue...no doubt, but the suites are very high margin. You typically have one attendant, and that attendant maybe servicing more than one suite.

Idk about the new stadium but the Falcons do not control parking and concessions at the GA dome...they get a % off the top and the GA World Congress Center get the rest, but they run it as well...for all GA Dome events.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crux here is HOW his $17 mil bonus will be paid out...he wants it in lump sum, the Chargers apparently want to spread it out, one at signing and the other in March...two payments.

I was on record not being the biggest Bosa guy pre-draft, but irrelevant here. If ALL of the other 1st rd picks are getting their bonus in lump sum, I'm with Bosa...gimme it all now.

If that's not the norm...some teams do and some teams don't, I'm with the team...rookies don't dictate here.

Your thoughts?

I got to say he is about as smart as a lottery winner that takes the lump sum on this one. Either way its guaranteed. So even if they cut him half way through the season (which they wont) He still gets the other 2-3 payments. So unless he promised mommy a $14 million dollar house, he is simply crying over not having all his money at once. I actually think the Chargers are doing him a favor NOT handing him $17 million in one lump sum.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, the picks before and after him agreed to BOTH the deferred money and the off-set. Chargers are not only arguing with their own precedent in mind, but now they have more leverage as the picks around him agreed to what they are offering.
I think the past 3rd overall picks have gotten one of the two things Bosa's side has asked for, but they can't just stick to that when plenty of other top 5 picks including this year have not gotten that. And from what I've read, it sounds like the main sticking point now is when he gets all of the guaranteed money. Why does he need it all up front? If it's guaranteed you're still gonna get paid all that money. I don't see a reason why that should keep him from missing key training camp and preseason action.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to answer, the Chargers need him in their lineup to help pressure QB's. One can say that they aren't going to contend with or without Bosa, if that was the case then Bosa definitely needs them more. I don't think that's the case and they could win the division although less likely to do so than the other 3 teams. I shouldn't be too shocked by the Chargers playing hardball, but it's annoying nonetheless. I guess I'd agree he needs them more, but it's gotten to the point where I don't care which side is more right/wrong and who needs who more. It needs to end and his ass needs to get some preseason game action.

Yeah, you're kinda close to it.

If Bosa was an established probowl caliber player I would say yes, they need each about equal or maybe even the team needs the player more. In this case...Bosa imo is a 33% player...by that I mean probably a third think he will be a star, a third thinks he will be an avg player, and a third thinks he could be a bust....fresh out of college, probably living off mom and dad still or an agent loan...imo he definitely needs the Chargers more right now.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the past 3rd overall picks have gotten one of the two things Bosa's side has asked for, but they can't just stick to that when plenty of other top 5 picks including this year have not gotten that. And from what I've read, it sounds like the main sticking point now is when he gets all of the guaranteed money. Why does he need it all up front? If it's guaranteed you're still gonna get paid all that money. I don't see a reason why that should keep him from missing key training camp and preseason action.
My only guess is, with the bonus being paid out later, is that it helps the cap? I honestly have no clue.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo, he's already missed too much time to be a major factor this season, but yeah...that's the bottom line.
most likely as an every down guy. Huge learning curve for sure. I think he can still contribute early as a situational pass rusher

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most likely as an every down guy. Huge learning curve for sure. I think he can still contribute early as a situational pass rusher

Yeah, true...I'm thinking just getting acclimated to the NFL game...football is football, especially in the trenches, but being in camp going against NFL talent would've been a big help...football conditioning, etc...I can see him pulling something trying to do too much.

Wish the kid well, but he's making a mistaken imo.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish the kid well, but he's making a mistaken imo.
me too.
Boza seems about the money and that's a mistake by his representation. Give me the guy that loves playing football and climbing the walls to get out there. That doesn't seem Boza to me

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me too.
Boza seems about the money and that's a mistake by his representation. Give me the guy that loves playing football and climbing the walls to get out there. That doesn't seem Boza to me

So you are saying a contract hold out means the guy does not love playing football?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying a contract hold out means the guy does not love playing football?

I could be wrong in what Pday is meaning but more that it just isn't the best look. Doesn't mean he doesn't love football but when the guys around him all signed for contracts like what the Chargers are offering it just makes it look like he is more about the money than others.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong in what Pday is meaning but more that it just isn't the best look. Doesn't mean he doesn't love football but when the guys around him all signed for contracts like what the Chargers are offering it just makes it look like he is more about the money than others.
sounds like he doesnt trust the chargers to pay him:suds:

USA Today's Jarrett Bell reports the Chargers and holdout first-round DE Joey Bosa have reopened contract talks this week after not speaking for the better part of two weeks.
However, Bell reports the two sides are "holding ground on their positions." To recap, the two sides aren't quarreling over a bunch of money; it's already been determined Bosa will receive a four-year, $26 million deal with a $17 million signing bonus. The issue is the Chargers want to defer some of the signing bonus money to next March and not pay it up front. Bosa's camp wants it paid immediately. Offset language is the other hold-up. This drama has no end in sight

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like he doesnt trust the chargers to pay him:suds:

USA Today's Jarrett Bell reports the Chargers and holdout first-round DE Joey Bosa have reopened contract talks this week after not speaking for the better part of two weeks.
However, Bell reports the two sides are "holding ground on their positions." To recap, the two sides aren't quarreling over a bunch of money; it's already been determined Bosa will receive a four-year, $26 million deal with a $17 million signing bonus. The issue is the Chargers want to defer some of the signing bonus money to next March and not pay it up front. Bosa's camp wants it paid immediately. Offset language is the other hold-up. This drama has no end in sight

Doesn't surprise me that they didn't talk for a couple of weeks as both sides have dug in. Sounds like they are still in that same spot and we might not have an answer for quite some time. Very surprised at Bosa having such resolve to keep holding out like this.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt see Eli as being about the money it was he didnt want to play for SD. They have a reputation and have have many hold outs due to their way of doing business. Its possible that also came into play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt see Eli as being about the money it was he didnt want to play for SD. They have a reputation and have have many hold outs due to their way of doing business. Its possible that also came into play.

Well maybe you didn't see Eli that way but plenty of others still to this day do not view Eli in a very good light for the way he handled that situation. I understand his not wanting to play in San Diego but there are not many players that have tried to dictate where they get to play like that. Many still think he used his family name to really shape that situation.