• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Graham is Funny

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've seen a few funny things from Jimmy Graham lately and wanted to stick them somewhere. Figured I may as well just start a new thread:

During OTAs Graham dismissed the idea that he can't be a blocking tight end -- at one point joking with a media member that "I could show you."

"Listen, man, I'm 270 pounds. I can block anybody I want to," he said, via 710 ESPN Seattle. "It's all about want-to. We'll see come this first Sunday."

So apparently you never wanted to block in the past? Okay. Kind of reminds me of the JJ Stokes, "I'm 6'5", I'm always open" comment.

"No. 1, with maybe multiple tight end sets, that's gonna just open it up," Graham told the Seattle Times. "These last couple of years for me, playing against guys who aren't concerned about the run at all. They know I will try to do a double move and run this go route. It makes it more difficult. So this will just make my job easier when it comes to the passing game."
And from the same article:

"Russ’s ability to extend a play is unbelievable. Out there in New Orleans, everything was about timing so when you hit that step, that ball is coming ... And now when you hit a step and look back, maybe he saw something and now he’s scrambling so there’s a second opportunity."

Sure, there's a second opportunity. But you're going to find that he misses a lot of first opportunities that Brees wouldn't. I don't think many people would go from NO to Seattle and think it was making their job in the passing game easier.

Don't get me wrong, Graham scares the hell out of me on Seattle. He's an elite receiving TE replacing a fringe receiving TE (Willson). But I don't think he comes close to putting up the kind of numbers he has over the past few years in Seattle's offense. I'm certainly not equating Graham and Zach Miller as talents, but Miller's numbers fell off a cliff when he went to Seattle (averaged 756 yards in his last three seasons with Oakland, 339 yards in his first three seasons with Seattle). I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw a pretty substantial decline in Graham's numbers. Though it's worth noting Miller's TDs declined only slightly - though Oakland's offense was impotent while the Saints' has been robust.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him putting up the same numbers in that offense either.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Russ Wilson has descent pass protection, I think Graham will do well in Seattle. In my opinion, he's a bigger threat than Harvin was.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us yet know what JG's #'s will become but he doesn't have to generate big #'s for the Seahawks to be successful. Being reliable on 3rd downs to keep moving the chains and score an occasional TD.
Jimmy is now on a more competitive team. He will be required to block. He was not required to block at NO. He will be just fine and he will have to be accounted and game planned for.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of us yet know what JG's #'s will become but he doesn't have to generate big #'s for the Seahawks to be successful. Being reliable on 3rd downs to keep moving the chains and score an occasional TD.
Jimmy is now on a more competitive team. He will be required to block. He was not required to block at NO. He will be just fine and he will have to be accounted and game planned for.

I don't see how anyone can possibly argue that. He wasn't required to block as much in NO as he will be in Seattle, but acting like he wasn't called on to block in NO is ridiculous. They were bottom half of the league in rushing last year (19th), but they still ran the ball 400+ times in a season in which, despite their record, they were in the playoff hunt until the very end.

And saying the Hawks are more competitive now than the Saints have been during Graham's tenure is stretching it. The Saints were coming off a SB win when they drafted Graham. They went to the playoffs three times in his five years, and it's not as if they were getting blown out in the first round. He was hardly playing on a bottom feeder, and he was still a terrible, disinterested blocker as Bennett (and Seahawks fans) were all too happy to point out in 2013.

I agree that he won't have to come close to his NOs numbers to have a big impact for the Hawks. Just pointing out that he's not likely to. And I think there's some chance he'll get disgruntled if he's not putting up similar numbers. To date, he hasn't exactly been a team-first sort of player.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a totally different culture in Seattle than in NO.
Folks will soon see he will fit in quite well in Seattle.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is a totally different culture in Seattle than in NO.
Folks will soon see he will fit in quite well in Seattle.

We will see...though I'm not sold we'll see him fit in. Percy Harvin didn't. Sidney Rice didn't really. Miller fit in in the sense that he was a team guy and good blocker, but he was those things coming in and he certainly wasn't an impact player for the Hawks.

I'd give you a "culture" argument on defense. For skill players on offense? Not so much. There's no reason to believe Graham will show something he hasn't in the blocking game. Maybe he'll surprise, and I'll be the first to cop to it if he develops into a great blocker, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see...though I'm not sold we'll see him fit in. Percy Harvin didn't. Sidney Rice didn't really. Miller fit in in the sense that he was a team guy and good blocker, but he was those things coming in and he certainly wasn't an impact player for the Hawks.

I'd give you a "culture" argument on defense. For skill players on offense? Not so much. There's no reason to believe Graham will show something he hasn't in the blocking game. Maybe he'll surprise, and I'll be the first to cop to it if he develops into a great blocker, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here but Sid is and still is adored by most Seahawk fans. He battled as much as he could through the many injuries he had while on the team. He was at the White House with the team. He caught the game winning TD and got concussed as he crossed the goal line. I have seen him on the sidelines for about half the games last year.
Harvin was a disaster, but I can't blame the FO for pulling out the stops in trying to win our 1st SB. He was truly a piece though...
Zack? He did a good job for the Seahawks. As Pete was trying to build a tough team with a great blocking TE with very good hands, Seattle had to overpay for his services.
It wont be necessary for JG to become a great blocker. He just needs to be effective. At 270 pounds, I am sure he can move some people around.
JG will add a whole new dimension to the passing game while maintaining the pound it on the ground game plan.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll certainly give you that Graham adds something unique in the passing game. I think you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to be anything more than a liability in the run game, though. Will he try harder on the Hawks than he did on the Saints? Probably. But there are miles between what Jimmy Graham has shown as a blocker to date and my standard for a good blocking TE.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll certainly give you that Graham adds something unique in the passing game. I think you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to be anything more than a liability in the run game, though. Will he try harder on the Hawks than he did on the Saints? Probably. But there are miles between what Jimmy Graham has shown as a blocker to date and my standard for a good blocking TE.
A liability in the running game?

If anything it gives RW the ability to read a D presnap:

Line up with a BIG O formation with JG the only wideout, then move him in motion to line up next to the tackle, and see who the D has lined up against JG. If its a linebacker, then audible to a JG pass. If its a nickle, then let JG destroy him with a block. It forces a mismatch either way, and when JG is forced to block, it will more than likely be against someone much smaller than him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Line up with a BIG O formation with JG the only wideout, then move him in motion to line up next to the tackle, and see who the D has lined up against JG. If its a linebacker, then audible to a JG pass. If its a nickle, then let JG destroy him with a block. It forces a mismatch either way, and when JG is forced to block, it will more than likely be against someone much smaller than him.

Sure, he helps the team with scheme. I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the argument that he's magically going to become a competent blocking TE simply because he now plays for Seattle.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Though out of curiosity, what does that Big O package look like? RB, FB, and three TEs? Or will Seattle be running the Wishbone? I'd love for Seattle to try that.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you even think the Graham can be a blocking TE? I doubt that he will even be in any formation in Seattle that he blocks anyone. He doesn't have that talent.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you even think the Graham can be a blocking TE? I doubt that he will even be in any formation in Seattle that he blocks anyone. He doesn't have that talent.
I think Graham is obviously more of a receiving threat than he is a blocking threat. That being said, if the D lines up a corner on Graham, why not have him block the guy. But if the guy lined up on Graham is a linebacker/defensive end, then Graham isn't gonna be the best option to block, but there is a good chance that he will instead be open on a quick short route.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like some of you think we got JG primarily to block.
We didn't. He will most likely be our best red zone threat.
I have none of the concerns regarding JG that some of you do.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It sounds like some of you think we got JG primarily to block.
We didn't. He will most likely be our best red zone threat.
I have none of the concerns regarding JG that some of you do.

It does? What in the world gave you that idea?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to admit the focus of most of the discussion in this thread involves JG's blocking ability, or inability.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You have to admit the focus of most of the discussion in this thread involves JG's blocking ability, or inability.

Yes, because JG said he could block anyone if he wanted to, which is a comical statement and the subject of the thread.