• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Jones Get's Called Out

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On company time? Get friggin real. You work for me, you shut your fuggin yap with regards to politics and religion. Hell, I can fire your ass even if you do it on your own time, if I feel it is a detriment to my business.

Freedom of Speech is out the fucking door at the workplace, if owner so decides.

Okay are you just babbling or is this a fact? Does a company have the rights to suppress one's constitutional rights?

As for firing guys, especially as it relates to the NFL. LMAO we all know that won't happen. The NFL has supported wife beaters, murderers, criminals, drug addicts, alcoholics etc, their moral compass does not work when it comes to the bottom line, money!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of Speech is not some sort of carte blanche on language. There are limitations on it. You can't yell FIRE in a movie theater for example if there is no fire. You could get fined or more for it. Is that infringing on constitutional freedoms?

I have a right to protect my property. If I deem your speech to be hurting my property, I have every right to terminate your ass. See Roseanne, or the vast multitude of other gainfully employed citizens who were shitcanned for their speech.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you don't have to and the Pats could fire Tom Brady, The Saints Drew Brees, The Panthers Cam Newton, The Steelers LeVeon Bell etc but where would that lead them. I am unsure a team or any organization can infringe upon one's constitutional rights?
@beardown07 has it right. This isn't a free speech issue at all.

A company you work for can fire you for almost any reason not protected by law (race, religion, sex, ethnicity, disability, etc.), a CBA, or an employment contract. My employer can fire me tomorrow b/c he doesn't like the fact that I'm bald. If your boss thinks something you are doing or saying in public hurts his business or the image of his business, he has every right to fire you.

These NFL players aren't that much different. Jerry has every right to set rules that his employees have to follow as long as those rules don't violate the CBA. He's decided that Cowboys will stand or not play. That's his choice b/c he's the boss.

However, Jerry should take his hat off during the anthem--it's about respect. Wearing it makes him something of a hypocrite, not a bigot.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of Speech is not some sort of carte blanche on language. There are limitations on it. You can't yell FIRE in a movie theater for example if there is no fire. You could get fined or more for it. Is that infringing on constitutional freedoms?

I have a right to protect my property. If I deem your speech to be hurting my property, I have every right to terminate your ass. See Roseanne, or the vast multitude of other gainfully employed citizens who were shitcanned for their speech.

Well that really does not answer the question, it effectively dances around answering it that's for sure. And the example is not quite the same but I suppose you knew that when you posted it. This comes down to two things. 1. Can it legally be done and what are the consequences. 2. Are the owners willing to lose money to support their personal belief?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@beardown07 has it right. This isn't a free speech issue at all.

A company you work for can fire you for almost any reason not protected by law (race, religion, sex, ethnicity, disability, etc.), a CBA, or an employment contract. My employer can fire me tomorrow b/c he doesn't like the fact that I'm bald. If your boss thinks something you are doing or saying in public hurts his business or the image of his business, he has every right to fire you.

These NFL players aren't that much different. Jerry has every right to set rules that his employees have to follow as long as those rules don't violate the CBA. He's decided that Cowboys will stand or not play. That's his choice b/c he's the boss.

However, Jerry should take his hat off during the anthem--it's about respect. Wearing it makes him something of a hypocrite, not a bigot.

I am not asking if they can fire a player, we know that already, that is not the question that everyone wants to answer. They cut players lose all the time.

Can the NFL suppress a players constitutional rights? Yes or No.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that really does not answer the question, it effectively dances around answering it that's for sure. And the example is not quite the same but I suppose you knew that when you posted it. This comes down to two things. 1. Can it legally be done and what are the consequences. 2. Are the owners willing to lose money to support their personal belief?
Well, the 2nd part, I don't care about. It's a separate issue entirely.

For part 1, it is absolutely legal, and has been explained by both myself and now also by nineroutlaw. I danced around nothing. I explained that I have a right to protect my property, and then cited examples of employees being canned for their "speech".

How is that dancing around the issue? Seems to me, you just don't like what you're being told.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the 2nd part, I don't care about. It's a separate issue entirely.

For part 1, it is absolutely legal, and has been explained by both myself and now also by ninersickness. I danced around nothing. I explained that I have a right to protect my property, and then cited examples of employess being canned for their "speech".

How is that dancing around the issue? Seems to me, you just don't like what you're being told.

No, what you said is the could fire them we know that, but that is when the legal battle would begin and there would be a legal battle, one I can't see the NFL winning.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On company time? Get friggin real. You work for me, you shut your fuggin yap with regards to politics and religion. Hell, I can fire your ass even if you do it on your own time, if I feel it is a detriment to my business.

Freedom of Speech is out the fucking door at the workplace, if owner so decides.

For commoners, this is absolutely true.

Shit gets muddled when you're talking about highly visible celebrities and athletes. They have media access and power that the rest of us don't have, and they can actually sway public opinion with a few tweets and pressers. So the owners/the league are in a tricky spot trying to silence the protesters while at the same time trying to reassure their consumers that they lubs dem some 'Merican millitree, please don't turn the channel

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For commoners, this is absolutely true.

Shit gets muddled when you're talking about highly visible celebrities and athletes. They have media access and power that the rest of us don't have, and they can actually sway public opinion with a few tweets and pressers. So the owners/the league are in a tricky spot trying to silence the protesters while at the same time trying to reassure their consumers that they lubs dem some 'Merican millitree, please don't turn the channel

None of that changes the question of legality tho.

Whether they decide to act or not, is a different discussion IMO.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Are the owners willing to lose money to support their personal belief?

To an extent, yes. But as they say, "Everybody has their price"

This is why some owners are more willing to break with the league and others support the league's policy fully. They probably already had their accountants crunch the numbers, and saw how much it might hurt if at all

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in a nutshell your answer is really they do not have a right to suppress their rights, but they have to right to fire them? IMO those are not the same thing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I hear ya, not arguing the "legality," I would just be shocked if any high-profile player were ever actually cut because of this.

Cut a practice squad scrub, no biggie, you don't stand to lose much there.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does a company have the rights to suppress one's constitutional rights?

Yes. A private company is not a governmental institution, and are thus allowed to restrict the freedoms of its employees, and employees are free to quit if they don't like it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in a nutshell your answer is really they do not have a right to suppress their rights, but they have to right to fire them? IMO those are not the same thing

Huh?

Are you on drugs?

As mentioned previously constitutional rights do not give carte blanche to citizens. There are still restrictions on those rights.

A business owner has every right right to protect his business. Your constitutional rights have no sway in a private business. None.

The NFL can "suppress" their constitutional rights.

Right to bear arms is constitutionally protected. Does that mean players can bring their AR-15s onto the field with them? Have em' hanging with em' on the bench? Of course not.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess most agree the owner have a means to prevent the kneeling of players, I wonder if they have the backbone to do it. A separate question I know, but I hope some high profile players, especially on the Cowboy's have to sack to challenge them. Again separate issue.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the NFL can pick a stance less it be players are allowed to take a knee. It seems to me, and I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me Freedom Of Speech may be an issue here.

Freedom of Speech has no bearing here. The NBA forces players to stand, the NFL could as well.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess most agree the owner have a means to prevent the kneeling of players, I wonder if they have the backbone to do it. A separate question I know, but I hope some high profile players, especially on the Cowboy's have to sack to challenge them. Again separate issue.

Ya, this will definitely be interesting going forward. I mean the main reason the league even gives a fuck to begin with, is they feel it's hurting their bottom line, but not likely as much as losing top-tier players would.

They have really backed themselves into a corner with it.

The NFL is indebted to the U.S. Military for millions and millions of dollars. They gave them a shit-ton of money to do all this patriotic mumbo-jumbo before games. Prior to that, the players weren't even on the field during the anthem. I bet they wish they hadn't taken that dirty money to begin with

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay are you just babbling or is this a fact? Does a company have the rights to suppress one's constitutional rights?

As for firing guys, especially as it relates to the NFL. LMAO we all know that won't happen. The NFL has supported wife beaters, murderers, criminals, drug addicts, alcoholics etc, their moral compass does not work when it comes to the bottom line, money!

1st amendment only protects you from the govt infringing on your free speech. Has nothing to do with private employers.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of Speech has no bearing here. The NBA forces players to stand, the NFL could as well.

I guess, it's been explained a few times and maybe I am arguing semantics just not sure I agree with what I've read. As I stated I get it they have a means to say hey F You you are gone, I'm just not sure there may not be a legal battle behind it.