• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jarius Byrd

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the one guy I would love to see the Cowboys go after. Say goodbye to Hatcher, let Spencer walk. Hopefully get Ware to take a paycut, cut him if you don't. Redo the Romo and Carr contracts as was planned and sign this guy. He would have a huge effect on our defense. He would eliminate the need to draft S in the first two rounds, and would be better than anyone we could pick anyway. We could easily go DL in two of the first three rounds, leaving open the possibility of taking a talented player at another position that may fall to us. Getting Crawford back, adding in a Jernigan or Donald, and adding Byrd at S would make this D look much more respectable IMO

Whitner may be a more realistic option, & he would immediately bring some toughness to the Defense. I recenty read a article about Woody saying the Cowboys need to add a veteran safety back there with Church.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitner may be a more realistic option, & he would immediately bring some toughness to the Defense. I recenty read a article about Woody saying the Cowboys need to add a veteran safety back there with Church.

I read that too and I half buy it. You can say that about EVERY position. We need to add a starter at FS this year. With our Cap, Draft seems the better option to me. I really think Marinelli plays Church in the box more which is where he should be. This will make Church a better player. I think he also has our CBs play more press coverage which makes them better players too. BUT, all of this also makes the need for a true FS with range and ball skills even bigger than it was last year. We would be foolish to go into the season relying on Wilcox, Heath or Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if one proves to be a player at some point but to go into the season betting on it would be so friggin stupid that I don't want to even think Jerry is considering it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That wouldn't be a bad call at all. I think one of the two perfect fit 3T's, either Donald or Jernigan, will be sitting right there for the Cowboys to take in the 1st. That means Dix and Pryor are off the board in the 2nd, and by adding Whitner, he and Church would be the starters at S, with Wilcox and Johnson as backups. In the 2nd, we could focus on BPA rather than S. I will say, if both 3T's are gone, I'd jump on DE Dee Ford in the 1st and grab a DT in the 2nd

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wouldn't be a bad call at all. I think one of the two perfect fit 3T's, either Donald or Jernigan, will be sitting right there for the Cowboys to take in the 1st. That means Dix and Pryor are off the board in the 2nd, and by adding Whitner, he and Church would be the starters at S, with Wilcox and Johnson as backups. In the 2nd, we could focus on BPA rather than S. I will say, if both 3T's are gone, I'd jump on DE Dee Ford in the 1st and grab a DT in the 2nd

Ford is a 3-4 linebacker

Too small for DE in a 4-3

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford is a 3-4 linebacker

Too small for DE in a 4-3

Agree he may be too small to be an every down guy, but he could be a pass rush demon like Mathis, Dumervil or Freeney. At 252 yesterday for his Pro Day, ran 4.59 and 4.53(as did Clowney), and had 29 bench reps of 225 compared to 21 for Clowney at 266 lbs. This kid was a sack machine in college and I think he will be the same in college

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree he may be too small to be an every down guy, but he could be a pass rush demon like Mathis, Dumervil or Freeney. At 252 yesterday for his Pro Day, ran 4.59 and 4.53(as did Clowney), and had 29 bench reps of 225 compared to 21 for Clowney at 266 lbs. This kid was a sack machine in college and I think he will be the same in college

Oh I agree he is a sack machine .... just think he fits the 3-4 better...... I could see him ending up a Jet for Rex

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Ford weighed 244lbs at his Pro Day yesterday. Wouldn't be my choice at #16.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully jerry won't draft a role player at 16

If you are taking a guy like Dee Ford most likely you are hoping he can develop into an every down player. Yes he fits better in the 3-4 defense but with so many teams playing hybrid systems these days you need guys who can play multiple positions. Ford could play SLB in the base defense then move to DE when the team gets into passing situations. Kind of like the Broncos use Von Miller. This then helps to protect Dee Ford from getting run over in the run game but gives him a chance to still make plays on every down. Yes he would have to develop as a pass defender if this were to happen. I will say though not many guys coming out at that OLB/DE position though are that great in pass coverage. It is something most have to be taught. Getting a guy though in that 16 pick that is a game changer as a pass rusher though is usually pretty rare and worth taking a chance in my opinion. I don't want the Cowboys to draft him either though because I would love if he did fall to the Broncos to rush the passer opposite of Von Miller.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with you based on his size if I thought he could be as good as a SOLB in a 4-3. I just don't see that as his niche'. Could he do it? Probably, but the question is can he do it good enough to be worth the #16 pick and to that I say no. Sure doesn't mean I'm right. Who knows, maybe they didn't ask him to cover for the same reason the Giants didn't ask LT to, but if you have a weakness in your game the NFL will find it and in our defense more than most others, our LBs need to be able to cover....It's still a no for me.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are taking a guy like Dee Ford most likely you are hoping he can develop into an every down player. Yes he fits better in the 3-4 defense but with so many teams playing hybrid systems these days you need guys who can play multiple positions. Ford could play SLB in the base defense then move to DE when the team gets into passing situations. Kind of like the Broncos use Von Miller. This then helps to protect Dee Ford from getting run over in the run game but gives him a chance to still make plays on every down. Yes he would have to develop as a pass defender if this were to happen. I will say though not many guys coming out at that OLB/DE position though are that great in pass coverage. It is something most have to be taught. Getting a guy though in that 16 pick that is a game changer as a pass rusher though is usually pretty rare and worth taking a chance in my opinion. I don't want the Cowboys to draft him either though because I would love if he did fall to the Broncos to rush the passer opposite of Von Miller.

Sir....I'm talking about this Dallas Cowboy team and their requirements within this particular draft and that is no role/project/come line bet type pick....least in my opinion. We can stand together on all that Dee Ford COULD be picking where Denver is picking and what Denver may need but that really isn't the point to the cowboys at 16.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Ford is overhyped. Other than Clowney and the buffalo kid.I am not giving any of the other pass rushers a 1st round grade. It sucks because the cupboard is gonna be bare after Ware walks

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sir....I'm talking about this Dallas Cowboy team and their requirements within this particular draft and that is no role/project/come line bet type pick....least in my opinion. We can stand together on all that Dee Ford COULD be picking where Denver is picking and what Denver may need but that really isn't the point to the cowboys at 16.

Sheesh I was just making a comparison. Also I'm sorry but I just don't see the Cowboys going to the Super Bowl this year. To me the Cowboys need to spend the next year or two cutting the fat from all of these crazy contracts Jerry has dished out. This means the team could maybe take a few chances in the draft with getting guys that have a very high ceiling but might need a year or two to develop. Dee Ford can still contribute year one as a very good Pass Rusher. Then use the next year or two to help him develop into a full-time starter. Look at Seattle a couple of years ago as they did this very thing of taking a guy with a very high ceiling but still needing a bit of development in Bruce Irvin. He has done very well for their defense.

Now this draft is loaded so I'm sure the Cowboys could find somebody who could start day 1 where they are and that is fine. I guess I am just one that is very high on Dee Ford and his potential in the NFL.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the Cowboys need to spend the next year or two cutting the fat from all of these crazy contracts Jerry has dished out. This means the team could maybe take a few chances in the draft with getting guys that have a very high ceiling but might need a year or two to develop. Dee Ford can still contribute year one as a very good Pass Rusher. Then use the next year or two to help him develop into a full-time starter.

I completely disagree with this ..... Just because of the very first sentence.

True the Cowboys have to trim some fat. Their biggest problem is how much dead money they eat each year.

And exactly why they can't spend years developing a 1st round player.

What the Cowboys need is to draft day one starters in the 1st 2 rounds. A starter in the 3rd round in this draft wouldn't be out of the question. So 2-3 starters vs a developemental player that doesn't fit your system? No Way

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree with this ..... Just because of the very first sentence.

True the Cowboys have to trim some fat. Their biggest problem is how much dead money they eat each year.

And exactly why they can't spend years developing a 1st round player.

What the Cowboys need is to draft day one starters in the 1st 2 rounds. A starter in the 3rd round in this draft wouldn't be out of the question. So 2-3 starters vs a developemental player that doesn't fit your system? No Way

And I can understand that thought process. Yes Dee Ford doesn't fit exactly into the 4-3 system but like I said teams run so many hybrid systems these days players have to be able to play multiple positions. Plus he can play SLB for a team if called upon. He said he is working on his ability to drop back into coverage when asked. Yes it might take him a year or two to be good at it but that is something that can be coached. Also if your team is relying on Rookies to contribute big time year one then your team is in trouble. The best teams in the league are the ones that rookies contributing is a bonus not a necessity. Heck look at the Broncos and Seahawks this past year. The Broncos 1st two picks in the draft were back ups most of the season but came on strong late in the year and look like good starters year two. The Seahawks didn't even have a 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick barely saw the field. So again most teams realize rookies although they can contribute year 1 are still developmental players. No rookie comes in completely complete and ready to dominate. This is why teams give especially premium picked players 2-3 years to show what they can do on the field.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can understand that thought process. Yes Dee Ford doesn't fit exactly into the 4-3 system but like I said teams run so many hybrid systems these days players have to be able to play multiple positions. Plus he can play SLB for a team if called upon. He said he is working on his ability to drop back into coverage when asked. Yes it might take him a year or two to be good at it but that is something that can be coached. Also if your team is relying on Rookies to contribute big time year one then your team is in trouble. The best teams in the league are the ones that rookies contributing is a bonus not a necessity. Heck look at the Broncos and Seahawks this past year. The Broncos 1st two picks in the draft were back ups most of the season but came on strong late in the year and look like good starters year two. The Seahawks didn't even have a 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick barely saw the field. So again most teams realize rookies although they can contribute year 1 are still developmental players. No rookie comes in completely complete and ready to dominate. This is why teams give especially premium picked players 2-3 years to show what they can do on the field.

what you are not saying about the seahawks is they youngest team in the league .... and were already built.
and rookie took them almost to a superbowl his 1st year and won one his second.

so cant agree with not relying on a rookie. They just proved it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what you are not saying about the seahawks is they youngest team in the league .... and were already built.
and rookie took them almost to a superbowl his 1st year and won one his second.

so cant agree with not relying on a rookie. They just proved it.

They didn't just prove it. The young guys all had a year to develop and we saw the growth from year 1 or 2 to the next. They drafted well but again they didn't rely their Super Bowl season on many if any rookies to actually contribute on the team to be successful. Sherman his rookie year was nowhere near as good as he was his 3rd year. Most players they say their 3rd year is where you see the biggest jump in playing ability as the game has finally slowed down for them.

Also most Seahawks fans would tell you that although Wilson is a very good quarterback especially his rookie year the big thing he did was just not lose them games by turning the ball over. Not like he was out there being asked to throw for 4 touchdowns and 400 yards a game. They were happy with 1-2 touchdowns a game and 200 yards.

Again if you can find a guy that can start from day 1 as a rookie then kudos to your team and there will be plenty of guys in this draft that can do that. I just don't think that is the only thing you can look at. If a team thinks a guy is going to have a higher ceiling throughout his career than another guy but might need a year to develop then every once in a while you have to pull the trigger on a guy like that. You don't like Dee Ford so that is fine. This is why the draft is such a crap shoot of two people can look at the same player and see two totally different things.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't just prove it. The young guys all had a year to develop and we saw the growth from year 1 or 2 to the next. They drafted well but again they didn't rely their Super Bowl season on many if any rookies to actually contribute on the team to be successful. Sherman his rookie year was nowhere near as good as he was his 3rd year. Most players they say their 3rd year is where you see the biggest jump in playing ability as the game has finally slowed down for them.

Also most Seahawks fans would tell you that although Wilson is a very good quarterback especially his rookie year the big thing he did was just not lose them games by turning the ball over. Not like he was out there being asked to throw for 4 touchdowns and 400 yards a game. They were happy with 1-2 touchdowns a game and 200 yards.

Again if you can find a guy that can start from day 1 as a rookie then kudos to your team and there will be plenty of guys in this draft that can do that. I just don't think that is the only thing you can look at. If a team thinks a guy is going to have a higher ceiling throughout his career than another guy but might need a year to develop then every once in a while you have to pull the trigger on a guy like that. You don't like Dee Ford so that is fine. This is why the draft is such a crap shoot of two people can look at the same player and see two totally different things.

I didn't say I didn't like Ford........ I said he doesn't have a spot to play on this Cowboys defense.
We don't blitz our linebackers 90% of our plays are a 4 man rush...... So no he wouldn't have a use on this team.

and we dont play a hybrid defense.

Now if we were still in a 3-4 I'd be all for it

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I didn't like Ford........ I said he doesn't have a spot to play on this Cowboys defense.
We don't blitz our linebackers 90% of our plays are a 4 man rush...... So no he wouldn't have a use on this team.

and we dont play a hybrid defense.

Now if we were still in a 3-4 I'd be all for it

Teams these days are starting to go off the Bronco model though with players like Dee Ford. When the Broncos drafted Von Miller people were scratching their heads wondering what the Broncos could be thinking since he can't play DE and had barely played any OLB. The Broncos put him at SLB then on passing situations moved him to DE so he could get after the passer. Pass Rushers are the top desire of every team in the league because it is a passing league. So even if the guy isn't a full time starter day 1 he can still impact the game greatly if he is a very good pass rusher. I guess I have just seen this work out wonderfully for the Broncos so I just expect that it can work out for other teams that play the 4-3 defense as well.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams these days are starting to go off the Bronco model though with players like Dee Ford. When the Broncos drafted Von Miller people were scratching their heads wondering what the Broncos could be thinking since he can't play DE and had barely played any OLB. The Broncos put him at SLB then on passing situations moved him to DE so he could get after the passer. Pass Rushers are the top desire of every team in the league because it is a passing league. So even if the guy isn't a full time starter day 1 he can still impact the game greatly if he is a very good pass rusher. I guess I have just seen this work out wonderfully for the Broncos so I just expect that it can work out for other teams that play the 4-3 defense as well.

I dont think teams are building like the Broncos these days :laugh3:

Didn't yall just get blown out? Totally exploited...... Add in you barely beat an 8-8 Cowboys team that was playing with half a defense of guys that didn't have jobs when the season started

Now if you wanna say building like SanFran and Seattle ..... I'll agree with that

and they don't use tweeners