• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jarius Byrd

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think teams are building like the Broncos these days :laugh3:

Didn't yall just get blown out? Totally exploited...... Add in you barely beat an 8-8 Cowboys team that was playing with half a defense of guys that didn't have jobs when the season started

Now if you wanna say building like SanFran and Seattle ..... I'll agree with that

and they don't use tweeners

The Broncos had the 3rd ranked defense the year before with essentially the same players. Problem was over half of them were on IR by the end of the season and the Broncos had a lot of young guys with potential sitting behind them that were not ready to be starters. That Cowboys game was actually the worst of our injuries for the season as we had 7 starters out on defense for that game. At one point they were starting to think they might have to use some offensive players on defense because they were getting so thin.

Anyway trying to play nice here as I am a guest on your board so we just have some differing views. I don't disagree with yours just think dismissing a guy like Dee Ford because you don't see him as a day 1 starter can be a mistake that is all.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway trying to play nice here as I am a guest on your board so we just have some differing views. I don't disagree with yours just think dismissing a guy like Dee Ford because you don't see him as a day 1 starter can be a mistake that is all.

and with as many needs as the Cowboys have

Might lose Ware
Lost Ratliff
Losing Hatcher
Probably losing Spencer

That's 4 D-line spots we need day one Our entire D-line possibly we were expecting to start last year

What you are talking about is a luxury pick......... Something the Cowboys can't afford to take a chance on

Last edited by a moderator:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Yes he fits better in the 3-4 defense but with so many teams playing hybrid systems these days you need guys who can play multiple positions. Ford could play SLB in the base defense then move to DE when the team gets into passing situations"

NOW FOCUS!
THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT DALLAS AT 16

15 players are off the board, budget 3 QB's, 2/3 Wide receivers and 2/3 OT's off the board and tell me how in the hell THIS TEAM takes a flyer on Ford with what you stated above?

Cmon.../.don't be like the patriot fan who travels from board to board dropping is wisdom on all things NFL. Frankly, you're wrong and only impressing yourself here cause the point remains the pick at 16.... no way in hell is that Dee Ford unless your broncos trade with Dallas and throw in your 2nd round pick. I mean, since your broncos are what every team inspires to be and only a Dee Ford away from greatness and all.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry for upsetting you here. That was not my goal. I understand with the idea that you are most likely losing most if not all your starting DL that finding a day one starter is of great importance. To me it depends how the board falls. None of us have any clue where players will go. A few years ago a guy named Da'quan Bowers was the 1st overall pick for most of the draft season until more news started coming out about him having a bad knee injury so he fell to the late 2nd round. Burfict was a top 10 pick at the start of draft season then fell to being undrafted. Teo was a top 10 pick for quite a while until the whole fake girl friend thing came about.

Now for Dee Ford he is rising up draft boards quickly so who knows where he ends up going. I have seen him as high as 13 and as low as 2nd round. Him running a 4.53 at his pro day (same speed as Clowney) and doing more reps on the bench press has caused people to go back and watch his tape a bit more. Throw in him having a great Senior Bowl Week. So again his stock is rising fast.

Doesn't mean he is a fit for Dallas and that is fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of players at 16 that you can pick from that are better fits. Just thought I would join the discussion but obviously that has upset you so I will back away and let you guys go back to your discussions.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You assume you're upsetting someone.
Perhaps your blindness to the 16th guy picked from this draft for the current Dallas Cowboy team remains the topic and only a fool with pick Dee Ford in that spot.

No hard feelings here....I'm sure you know a lot about the broncos

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing the Cowboys with the Seahawks is ridiculous. The Seahawks weren't in the cap situation we are in when they drafted and they weren't dealing with a roster of high caliber players when they started drafting.

I would agree with cdulmer if Jerry is planning on blowing the whole thing up and getting rid of all of our over paid players, including Romo. That's not likely to happen, 1) because no one is going to take the contracts of our over paid players so we have to eat the money anyhow; 2) because Jerry is always in a "win now" frame of mind. We simply don't have the cap space or the patience to wait for players to develop while having a bunch of other players we can't get rid of.

It's really a combination of circumstances. These circumstances could be gone in four years if Jerry would blow it up now and be the heal of the league for a few years, but, like I said, it ain't gonna happen.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams these days are starting to go off the Bronco model though with players like Dee Ford. When the Broncos drafted Von Miller people were scratching their heads wondering what the Broncos could be thinking since he can't play DE and had barely played any OLB. The Broncos put him at SLB then on passing situations moved him to DE so he could get after the passer. Pass Rushers are the top desire of every team in the league because it is a passing league. So even if the guy isn't a full time starter day 1 he can still impact the game greatly if he is a very good pass rusher. I guess I have just seen this work out wonderfully for the Broncos so I just expect that it can work out for other teams that play the 4-3 defense as well.

Teams are building off of the Broncos model? That's news to me.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing the Cowboys with the Seahawks is ridiculous. The Seahawks weren't in the cap situation we are in when they drafted and they weren't dealing with a roster of high caliber players when they started drafting.

I would agree with cdulmer if Jerry is planning on blowing the whole thing up and getting rid of all of our over paid players, including Romo. That's not likely to happen, 1) because no one is going to take the contracts of our over paid players so we have to eat the money anyhow; 2) because Jerry is always in a "win now" frame of mind. We simply don't have the cap space or the patience to wait for players to develop while having a bunch of other players we can't get rid of.

It's really a combination of circumstances. These circumstances could be gone in four years if Jerry would blow it up now and be the heal of the league for a few years, but, like I said, it ain't gonna happen.

if Romo goes down with major injury it might happen anyway Jerry has all his eggs In 1 basket with no escape plan in place

JMHO

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Romo goes down with major injury it might happen anyway Jerry has all his eggs In 1 basket with no escape plan in place

JMHO

Oh I think he has an escape plan

I think he is banking on the cap going going up ..... Not to keep players ... but to buy him the cap space to release them and replace them

Jerry's problem is he wants to stay relevant ...... so dumping everything at onetime ..... (though it might be the best thing) it's not a move I see him making.

HE caught total hell from the fan base our 1-15 year

Last edited by a moderator:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again if you can find a guy that can start from day 1 as a rookie then kudos to your team and there will be plenty of guys in this draft that can do that. I just don't think that is the only thing you can look at. If a team thinks a guy is going to have a higher ceiling throughout his career than another guy but might need a year to develop then every once in a while you have to pull the trigger on a guy like that. You don't like Dee Ford so that is fine. This is why the draft is such a crap shoot of two people can look at the same player and see two totally different things.

Here is your problem in this discussion. No one is saying the ONLY thing you look at is if a guy can start day 1. The point is if all else is equal why not take the guy you think can start day 1? No one is saying we don't need pass rushers. The point is if all else is equal, take the guy that can also play first and second down. No one is saying that drafting a player at a position other than DL (if you want to say he is a OLB in a 4-3) or playing a 244lbs guy at DE is a horrible idea. The point is that if the value is there at a positon of dire need, why not take that player? No one is saying he can't learn to cover, but the point is why take a guy at #16 and hope he can learn when there are so many other options out there and LBs in our defense MUST be able to cover?

For some reason you love Dee Ford. Good for you. Maybe he becomes the greatest player in the draft. Why can't you accept that most just don't think he is that great and even more importantly don't think this is the place for him? In the perfect system he probably is not a top 16 pick, so why would he be a top 16 pick in a system that isn't perfect for him? You seem to think that because Von Miller made it work in the Broncos defense, that means Dee Ford will make it work in the Cowboys defense. We don't agree with you. I'll tell you what, if he is there in the second round I'll be the first to say we need to pick him...but this draft is pretty damn deep and IMO there are a ton of players that are both better than him and a better fit for the Dallas Cowboys...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think he has an escape plan

I think he is banking on the cap going going up ..... Not to keep players ... but to buy him the cap space to release them and replace them

Jerry's problem is he wants to stay relevant ...... so dumping everything at onetime ..... (though it might be the best thing) it's not a move I see him making.

HE caught total hell from the fan base our 1-15 year

Agree. Right or Wrong Jerry will not dump his roster all at once. He will put the best team together he thinks he can every year. The only way head goes into complete rebuild is a mass of career ending injuries.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent FS Jairus Byrd is reportedly seeking an average annual salary of at least $9 million per season.

That would make Byrd the highest paid safety in the game. Dashon Goldson got a five-year, $41.25 million deal from the Bucs a year ago, Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Chargers in 2011 and Eric Berry's rookie deal will pay him $8.41 million in 2014. Byrd is a good bet to get what he wants thanks to the rapidly rising salary cap and growing need for an elite center fielder in today's NFL. The Browns and former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine could show interest.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent FS Jairus Byrd is reportedly seeking an average annual salary of at least $9 million per season.

That would make Byrd the highest paid safety in the game. Dashon Goldson got a five-year, $41.25 million deal from the Bucs a year ago, Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Chargers in 2011 and Eric Berry's rookie deal will pay him $8.41 million in 2014. Byrd is a good bet to get what he wants thanks to the rapidly rising salary cap and growing need for an elite center fielder in today's NFL. The Browns and former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine could show interest.

This should end this thread.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd scares me. He has injury issues. He is an excellent safety but I dont see him in the mold of a Woodson, Dawkins, Polamalu, Reed type. Someone is going to drop HUGE money on a position of relatively low importance. The Eagles have the cap space and have HORRIFIC Safety play but I think they might be too gun shy after the Nnamdi debacle. Maybe a team like St. Louis or Oakland picks him up?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I have to say with all the QB's in this draft every time a team selects a QB before pick 16 I'd jump for joy as a Cowboy fan. That pick 16 is VERY valuable this year. You guys are going to be in a position to pick a very special player at 16. Jerry just has to go talent and not need.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I have to say with all the QB's in this draft every time a team selects a QB before pick 16 I'd jump for joy as a Cowboy fan. That pick 16 is VERY valuable this year. You guys are going to be in a position to pick a very special player at 16. Jerry just has to go talent and not need.

Dallas doesn't have the luxury of going BPA. We need BPA with need as an equal qualifier

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd scares me. He has injury issues. He is an excellent safety but I dont see him in the mold of a Woodson, Dawkins, Polamalu, Reed type. Someone is going to drop HUGE money on a position of relatively low importance. The Eagles have the cap space and have HORRIFIC Safety play but I think they might be too gun shy after the Nnamdi debacle. Maybe a team like St. Louis or Oakland picks him up?

I have seen some that thinks he ends with the eagles ......

Me personally ..... Dumb enough to throw that kinda money at a safety

Redskins

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas doesn't have the luxury of going BPA. We need BPA with need as an equal qualifier

We need to see how things fall. Other than TE,Center or QB what position is it we couldn't use immediate help at? There are plenty of rounds to get a DL or two. I hope we go BPA in round 1 unless two guys are relatively close, then I go DL or Safety for sure. I think there is enough talent in this draft that we will be able to grab a guy at a position of need, but I am also starting to think someone unexpected and too good to pass up may fall to us. My hope is still Dix, but there are 10 guys I'd like about now...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to see how things fall. Other than TE,Center or QB what position is it we couldn't use immediate help at? There are plenty of rounds to get a DL or two. I hope we go BPA in round 1 unless two guys are relatively close, then I go DL or Safety for sure. I think there is enough talent in this draft that we will be able to grab a guy at a position of need, but I am also starting to think someone unexpected and too good to pass up may fall to us. My hope is still Dix, but there are 10 guys I'd like about now...

So if the next 4 BPA's are QB, WR, WR, and TE we go with the QB?