• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've had it with "that won't work in the playoffs"

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think green bay and new orleans can exploit our lack of depth in the secondary. especially new orleans because if aldon is in there they will just abuse sproles and graham all day. we might be able to get after rodgers if his line is still banged up, but they should be able to nail some big plays like arizona did, even if we contain them 90% of the game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case the words are true. These 16,17,18 point outputs where we waste opportunity after opportunity to put the games away will not work against GB or N.O. Against those teams the offense has got to help the defense out.

I think one of the OP's points is that it doesn't matter if it is the playoffs or the regular season. The formula remains the same. What I mean is that people are saying that it's working in the regular season but it won't in the playoffs. My thing is that it isn't working in the regular season per se because we haven't played them in the regular season. The teams that we are beating by scoring 16-19 aren't the Packers or the Saints. So the true statement should be, you can't expect to have much of a chance to beat N.O. or the Packers without a higher scoring offense. Playoffs shouldn't be mentioned because it makes little difference. If we lose because we're a newbie than that's different than scheme.

The "playoff difference" isn't there necessarily. In the regular season or playoffs, the 16-17-18 outputs will not work against G.B. or N.O (normally). In order to say this won't work in the playoffs, it assumes that it'll work in the regular season, which isn't true generally. Barring "any given Sunday" stuff like N.O. last year or Kansas City's GB game this year, what you said makes no difference whether it's the playoffs or the regular season.

Intensity increases in the playoffs, but I assume our intensity to some extent increases too. As far as playing better teams in the playoffs, if we played those same teams in the regular season, we'd need to score more than 18 points. But I also think our defense could manage a lower score than most.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really no where to put it but:

the 49ers went 4-1 during the regular season against the current playoff field

FWIW.... :)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, alex smith didnt get a chance to 'pad his stats' like the other top qb's this year. we had to play a tough schedule outside of our division, which came on strong in the 2nd half of the year

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really no where to put it but:

the 49ers went 4-1 during the regular season against the current playoff field

FWIW.... :)

yep, we have a fair chance.

play well ourselves and limit our own mistakes. if they still beat us, fine.