• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've had it with "that won't work in the playoffs"

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not a coincidence that the 9ers lead the league in TO differential and points allowed. Given that, what's a bigger play in football than capitalizing on a TO?

Green Bay and New Orleans weaknesses play right into the strengths of the 9ers. Honestly, neither team concerns me in the playoffs. It's not like the 9ers haven't played (and stopped) explosive offenses this season.

Not to jump too far ahead, but GB is a close 2nd to us in turnover margin; (+26 to +22) the only difference is GB capitalizes on their TO's with TD's while we shoot between the uprights. Meanwhile, NO is near the bottom with a -4 TO margin.

Regarding our stopping explosive offenses - Detroit is the most explosive offense we faced all season with regard to points scored.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to jump too far ahead, but GB is a close 2nd to us in turnover margin; (+26 to +22) the only difference is GB capitalizes on their TO's with TD's while we shoot between the uprights. Meanwhile, NO is near the bottom with a -4 TO margin.

Regarding our stopping explosive offenses - Detroit is the most explosive offense we faced all season with regard to points scored.

And megatron got shut down!! NO or GB dont have nearly a more dominate WR.. A banged up Jennings and jimmy Grahm lol and both have absolutely NO chance running the ball against us. witch i can pretty much asure you we will be in nickle most game where they will have to deal with Brooks Mc donald Smith and Aldon all day and 7 in coverage. Add the fact there d is sus against the run niether can one on one VD so they will double Harbs will have the Niners ready long as Alex dont turn the ball over just like he has done all year and covert the 3rd downs i dont see us losing.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And megatron got shut down!! NO or GB dont have nearly a more dominate WR.. A banged up Jennings and jimmy Grahm lol and both have absolutely NO chance running the ball against us. witch i can pretty much asure you we will be in nickle most game where they will have to deal with Brooks, McDonald, Smith, and Aldon all day and 7 in coverage.

Add the fact there d is sus against the run niether can one on one VD so they will double Harbs will have the Niners ready long as Alex dont turn the ball over just like he has done all year and covert the 3rd downs i dont see us losing.

:thumb:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play the way we've played to get us to that point and we should be fine.

Defense needs to be ballin!

Offense needs TDs.... enough said.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yep offense needs TD'S or we will be in deep doodoo quickly...

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this post is really saying "I am tired of hearing why my Niners cannot win the superbowl". Understandable, and of course they have a shot to win it.

But if you are honest with yourself, the SB winners are few and far between with a weak offense with no explosive plays like ours. It is usually the other way around, a top notch offense with fairly good defense that takes the trophy. Sorry, it is the truth. Look at our game with Seattle, we just barely scored enough to win and just barely held on at the end with an opportune TO.

Sorry, I will be pulling for the Niners all the way but I suspect we lose to either NO or GB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree.

LIKE the fact we're going in with a top defense. no, we won't stop them cold, but we'll slow them down. its unfortunate our offense is so far back, but if they can establish the run, we'll be fine.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this post is really saying "I am tired of hearing why my Niners cannot win the superbowl". Understandable, and of course they have a shot to win it.

But if you are honest with yourself, the SB winners are few and far between with a weak offense with no explosive plays like ours. It is usually the other way around, a top notch offense with fairly good defense that takes the trophy. Sorry, it is the truth. Look at our game with Seattle, we just barely scored enough to win and just barely held on at the end with an opportune TO.

Sorry, I will be pulling for the Niners all the way but I suspect we lose to either NO or GB.

the trend is moving that way but IMO, not so far over yet? still feel its more "top notch defense with fairly good offense". we're more than good on defense, but obviously not "fairly good" on offense.

again, just my opinion and shortly we'll find out just how far its trended?

no matter what happens, i'm more than happy with this season. might be a little pissed if we 'give the game away', but if we lose to a better team, fine.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The key to any defensive team winning a superbowl seems to be strong momentum going into the playoffs, the scenario we all are hoping for is the Giants over the Patriots in 07. I'm not sure the 49ers defense is set up the same way to do that. The Giants could really get after the QB and disrupt the passing game. The 49ers defense makes the running game a non factor, that doesn't help them a great deal against NO or GB where they only run to try and keep the defense honest.

To win a superbowl they will likely have to play NO, GB, and NE, if the officiating is honest they have a legit chance, clearly Smith and the offense need to play perfect in the redzone and convert just about every opportunity for TD's in 3 straight games. Personally I think there is about as much a chance of that as there is the officiating being fair if they play GB or NE

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The key to any defensive team winning a superbowl seems to be strong momentum going into the playoffs, the scenario we all are hoping for is the Giants over the Patriots in 07. I'm not sure the 49ers defense is set up the same way to do that. The Giants could really get after the QB and disrupt the passing game. The 49ers defense makes the running game a non factor, that doesn't help them a great deal against NO or GB where they only run to try and keep the defense honest.

To win a superbowl they will likely have to play NO, GB, and NE, if the officiating is honest they have a legit chance, clearly Smith and the offense need to play perfect in the redzone and convert just about every opportunity for TD's in 3 straight games. Personally I think there is about as much a chance of that as there is the officiating being fair if they play GB or NE

yeah, for THIS season this is a good illustration. we can't be dissapointed no matter what happens, but at least our defense is already SB caliber.

we'll just have to commit to a few more blitzes, whether MLB or occassional DB, we'll just have to do it and take our chances with big plays.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, for THIS season this is a good illustration. we can't be dissapointed no matter what happens, but at least our defense is already SB caliber.

we'll just have to commit to a few more blitzes, whether MLB or occassional DB, we'll just have to do it and take our chances with big plays.

I think everyone could agree the 49ers could always improve on defense, a player like Polumalu(sp) or Reed, even Revis would really elevate this defense to where it could carry them to a Superbowl win if they can't find a QB that can make the difference for them.

Hell, hopefully Smith can have a great run in the playoffs and do it for them, even if he gets to the superbowl with 2 great games and then plays like Roethlisberger did in his 1st superbowl and they still win because their defense comes through.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think everyone could agree the 49ers could always improve on defense, a player like Polumalu(sp) or Reed, even Revis would really elevate this defense to where it could carry them to a Superbowl win if they can't find a QB that can make the difference for them.

Hell, hopefully Smith can have a great run in the playoffs and do it for them, even if he gets to the superbowl with 2 great games and then plays like Roethlisberger did in his 1st superbowl and they still win because their defense comes through.

yep, we can always improve somewhere on D, its just too hard to obtain 11 top starters.

think those SB wins ala Ravens 2000 is too far removed now? the passing trend has moved slowly along to where an elite D can't do it anymore.

still feel the adage is still mostly true.....defense gets you to the SB, and the QB wins it. the "QB wins it" may not be the Montana or Young type wins, but today he certainly needs to generate offense.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see NE making it and if we beat GB that bowl is ours!!! after this week can somone make a thread for playoff predictions...ill live in that thing lol

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Our only fatal flaw is we go brain dead in the red zone other than that our offense really isn't that bad.

It's not as explosive as some of the other teams but we do move the ball and we do actually put points on the board. We're 15th in the league with 23.1 PTS/G which isn't that bad if you stack it up against any other team not named the Packers, Saints, and Patriots.

So if we can convert those FGs into TDs we'd actually be in pretty good shape in the playoffs because we're the only team with a flat out dominant defense in the NFC.

Ultimately to win the Super Bowl you need a good team to win. You can't be overly strong in one area and be complete garbage in the other and have a good chance to win it all. Because in some games you're going to run into a situation where you need the defense to come up big and get a TO or a big stop and get the ball back. On the flip side in some games you're going to need the offense to step up and score points and win TOP to help the defense out.

If you look at teams that win it all they are typically at the very least good on both sides of the ball.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers defense is an absolute game changer. Other teams are forced to the 49ers will in order to win, they have to play "49er football" and most can't. I wasn't sure our defense could keep this up all season, especially against better teams. We can.

I think this 49er team is ONLY one that will be capable of beating GB or NO, simply because of what the defense and STs do to the game being played. The offense moves the ball very well between the 20's; with the conversion of one or two more FGs to TDs, this team wins big.

Both teams will want to force an offensive shoot out, that we can't win...or haven't seen it all season (yet). I think we have the ability to crawl back if GB/NO get ahead by 14 but it is a scary proposition...all we need is about 8 more points from the offense and status quo from the D and STs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, we can always improve somewhere on D, its just too hard to obtain 11 top starters.

think those SB wins ala Ravens 2000 is too far removed now? the passing trend has moved slowly along to where an elite D can't do it anymore.

still feel the adage is still mostly true.....defense gets you to the SB, and the QB wins it. the "QB wins it" may not be the Montana or Young type wins, but today he certainly needs to generate offense.

a good d like the ravens causes the other qb to get outplayed by someone like dilfer. i don't think our d has enough depth in the secondary to match up against the packers or saints.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
a good d like the ravens causes the other qb to get outplayed by someone like dilfer. i don't think our d has enough depth in the secondary to match up against the packers or saints.

well if you isolate the secondary, of course they can't cover forever? but we need an overall D and got one of the NFL best.

even though these are passing teams, being able to stop their run is the first step. we might even stop their run game as 'stone cold' as anyone can? if we get close to this, then Fangio can dial up pressure in mixed ways.

prior to the season, we knew we didn't have a superbowl TEAM, but at least one Unit is already elite. if it could only be one unit this season, i'd have chosen defense.

for the most part our ST's have been good too, particularly like the coverage.