• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've had it with "that won't work in the playoffs"

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thread won't work in the playoffs

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you read Calamity's post in the Niners-Rams GD thread? He said the reason the 49ers never score in the red zone is that Harbaugh has Akers on his fantasy team. That cracked me up!

That is Hilarious!! ...Rep worthy!! Mystery Solved!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd classify this as a "correlation"......the Niners aren't exactly bulletproof, we've seen various ways they're susceptible. The secondary can be beaten with both big plays and regular old precision passing - a few offenses have really moved the ball up and down the field against them - but the saving grace has been turnovers. A team that's more careful with the ball could have a better time against them and wouldn't have to move the ball in chunks of yards.

no doubt, we have a good D but it won't shut down these other teams. there's no way to make all 11 spots real solid. but our D will slow them down and force some field goals, just won't shut them down.

defensively, we're as "SB capable" as any team. same with special teams.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly, the last time da Bears went to the Superbowl they led the league in the turnover department (i'm just going from memory, I'm sure somebody will google it and let me know they were 2nd or 3rd). But the next year they didn't and they sucked. I see this happening to the 9ers, because like you said, you can't count on turnovers. Although!!! This defense is pretty badass, and they do create alot of them, they haven't been all gimmies.

Yep. Remember in '88 when the Bears had that awesome defense that created turnover after turnover? The Niners went in to Chicago in the NFC Championship game, didn't turn the ball over, and blasted the Bears 28 to 3.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep. Remember in '88 when the Bears had that awesome defense that created turnover after turnover? The Niners went in to Chicago in the NFC Championship game, didn't turn the ball over, and blasted the Bears 28 to 3.

Ha! What a great game! it was a complete 'points scored' role reversal...Walsh just owned Ditka

Last edited by a moderator:

polfnikufesin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yep, and that's unfortunately what I see happening to this 9ers team in the playoffs unless they can keep the forcing turnovers.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many points do you guys think the 49ers will have to put up to beat NO or GB?

I'm guessing 24 points for GB and 28 points for NO.

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you read Calamity's post in the Niners-Rams GD thread? He said the reason the 49ers never score in the red zone is that Harbaugh has Akers on his fantasy team. That cracked me up!

Maybe since fantasy leagues are over, we might see more tds in the redzone. :)

I loved having Akers on my fantasy team. But then again, it was frustrating being a Niners fan.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ha! What a great game! it was a complete 'points scored' role reversal...Walsh just owned Ditka

Probably one of the most satisfying 49er victories I've ever experienced.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Probably one of the most satisfying 49er victories I've ever experienced.

...With all the pre-game BS that went on with that one - Definitely!!...

"Oh the 49ers are a finesse team they can't beat a real defense!"

and

"They play in sunny, warm California, they can't handle playing in the cold."

To quote just a few of the things being said prior to that game.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...With all the pre-game BS that went on with that one - Definitely!!...

"Oh the 49ers are a finesse team they can't beat a real defense!"

and

"They play in sunny, warm California, they can't handle playing in the cold."

To quote just a few of the things being said prior to that game.

That's what made it so great. Then the 49ers went out and physically beat up the Bears. I loved Montana's post game locker room speech too. He was asked "what happened out there today?" and he said something like "we kicked ass". It was cool

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people just tend to forget things like the Saints losing @Seattle last year. I'm pretty sure we are a much better team than that Seattle one, and if we can secure home field they would have to come play us away from their dome. Also it's the same Saints team that lost to the Rams of all teams and nearly lost to the Titans. They looked good most the year but showed they can have bad games and struggle if you can keep them out of rhythm.

Also, I'm not sure it's the Saints we will be playing. It looks like if they end up in the 3 seed they will have to play Atlanta again. They beat Atlanta twice but can they do it 3 times? I'm pretty sure statistics on this would favor Atlanta to finally win over them.

The Packers will end up playing the Giants/Cowboys or Lions and those are both not pushovers. We could end up playing 2 home games on our way to the Super Bowl which is why winning this week is very important.

And if offense wins championships why did the Patriots not end up undefeated with a Super Bowl title? That was the most explosive passing game the league has ever seen, and they got beat mostly by a good defense. The same way a certain Patriot team beat the Rams 'Greatest Show on Turf" a few Super Bowls earlier.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brees just picked them apart. they'll be fired up but if they go after brees they'll just run one of their 200 screen passes and nickle and dime them all day long.

right now that offense is completely clicking, kinda like steve young in 94. early season had some struggles then it all came together

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people just tend to forget things like the Saints losing @Seattle last year. I'm pretty sure we are a much better team than that Seattle one, and if we can secure home field they would have to come play us away from their dome. Also it's the same Saints team that lost to the Rams of all teams and nearly lost to the Titans. They looked good most the year but showed they can have bad games and struggle if you can keep them out of rhythm.

Also, I'm not sure it's the Saints we will be playing. It looks like if they end up in the 3 seed they will have to play Atlanta again. They beat Atlanta twice but can they do it 3 times? I'm pretty sure statistics on this would favor Atlanta to finally win over them.

The Packers will end up playing the Giants/Cowboys or Lions and those are both not pushovers. We could end up playing 2 home games on our way to the Super Bowl which is why winning this week is very important.

And if offense wins championships why did the Patriots not end up undefeated with a Super Bowl title? That was the most explosive passing game the league has ever seen, and they got beat mostly by a good defense. The same way a certain Patriot team beat the Rams 'Greatest Show on Turf" a few Super Bowls earlier.

ehhh a team like the rams upsetting Saint's only goes so far for me. it happens to the best teams from time to time, ask the other teams that struggles against them how much that rams upset did for them.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ppl fail to realize is NO & GB with there style of play will give are Great D many oppertunities to create TO and are offense wont allow there midiocore D's,to do the same however will capitalize with the few oppertunities they allow us to have thus. Thus making us victorious!! They keep saying is are offense gonna dominate i say who is gonna dominate are D!! Shit Gaybay and the aints are 1 dementional and thats not gonna get it the cowgirls have a better chance beating us. They are more balanced while still neing exsplosive "jmo"

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a coincidence that the 9ers lead the league in TO differential and points allowed. Given that, what's a bigger play in football than capitalizing on a TO?

Green Bay and New Orleans weaknesses play right into the strengths of the 9ers. Honestly, neither team concerns me in the playoffs. It's not like the 9ers haven't played (and stopped) explosive offenses this season.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story, if our D can continue to create TOs that will keep us with the advantage over the highly potent fancy smancy offenses that i only see in madden cuz god forbid we do something close to it!!!!

lol